• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Neofire

And it continues:

ziqiYFE.png

Yay at #Splatoon :)
Love this graph lol, btw congratulations to Sony and Nintendo(God knows the Wii U needed something).

Found this on IGN
The report also states that If the top 10 software list for May 2015 was "ranked on a SKU basis rather than a title basis," the PS4 Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster would have made the list.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/11/the-witcher-3-topped-software-sales-in-may?abthid=557a0ef83ac061de04000006&utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Damn this month was slow.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Xbox One sales for 2015 are down 6% compared to Xbox 360 sales in 2007 (January through May).

PlayStation 4 sales for 2015 are roughly flat compared to PlayStation 3 sales in 2008. (January through May).

Nintendo Wii U sales are almost 90% down compared to Nintendo Wii sales in 2008 (January through May)

StoveOven

Banned
I'll admit, I thought Splatoon was going to bomb. Congrats Nintendo, it looks like you've got something there. Also, as a huge baseball fan, it makes me happy to see MLB The Show up there for three months in a row. Nice to know that my favorite sport isn't as dead as some people make it out to be. Otherwise pretty predictable, but I'm still shocked at how high GTA and Minecraft manage to stay. You would think (especially with GTA) that everbody interested in those games would have bought them by now.

It's so weird looking at NPDs from years past. Where'd all the licensed games go? Even the most atrocious shovelware back then would top the charts, and now that entire category has all but evaporated.

Not that I'm complaining. I guess they're all on mobile now.

stryke

Found this on IGN

The report also states that If the top 10 software list for May 2015 was "ranked on a SKU basis rather than a title basis," the PS4 Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster would have made the list.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/11/the-witcher-3-topped-software-sales-in-may?abthid=557a0ef83ac061de04000006&utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=2&utm_campaign=Blogroll

Hopefully we get the figure soon....

It's so weird looking at NPDs from years past. Where'd all the licensed games go? Even the most atrocious shovelware back then would top the charts, and now that entire category has all but evaporated.

I wouldn't complain per se, but in a weird way, I think shovelware ends up being an important part of a library. Like you said, it obviously sells, so not being on a platform means they went to a healthier or more profitable market.

I mean a great example is the Wii U. In the days of the Wii, you could walk by piles of shovelware. Now? There's nothing.

To mobile.

It's a pointless comparison though.

I'm just bored so thought I'd post it.

I'm sure to Nintendo's share holders its not a pointless comparison. I realize its different as Ninty last gen tapped into a market that's not currently there anymore but its still a mind blowing thing to see.

Yeah, its basically that they went to mobile. Why spend more money developing a console game when you can make a cheap barebones game on mobile and milk people for tons of cash in micro transactions? Also, the audience that buys most licensed games went to mobile as well.

Game Guru

That's nice & all, except most AAA games sell better on consoles AND most of their sales come from retail & not PSN or XBL.

That doesn't mean much when the point of contention is retail sales going down in terms of both hardware and software. The sales of retail games and consoles are supposedly dropping, and fewer AAA games are being released nowadays. All this would supposedly mean is that consoles are being bought by a shrinking group of people who desire AAA retail games which is a bad thing if you like AAA retail games.

RexNovis

Banned
XB1 139k

Up 81% YOY May 2014 was 77k

Ouch that's 17k lower than what I thought it would be and PS4 is in first too. Welp, there go my predictions

[XB1] 156k
[PS4] 148K
[3DS] 98K
[WIU] 44k

Im thinking the impending release of the Batman LE bundle along with the normal decrease MoM from April to May means PS4 will have its lowest NPD month ever. It should also be a massive decline YoY thanks to Watch Dogs release giving PS4 a huge boost last year. That said I expect June to be a big sales month for Sony.

T_T

ascii42

Xbox One sales for 2015 are down 6% compared to Xbox 360 sales in 2007 (January through May).

PlayStation 4 sales for 2015 are roughly flat compared to PlayStation 3 sales in 2008. (January through May).

Nintendo Wii U sales are almost 90% down compared to Nintendo Wii sales in 2008 (January through May)

Isn't 2009 the comparative year for the Wii? (not that it really matters)

Windforce

Kinda depressing. :( But expected I guess, since matching Wii is not something we can expect from our 'everyday' normal console that doesn't hit a jackpot in popularity.

Also, can anyone explain why Minecraft Vita didn't chart? No physical copies being sold in the uS?

I still think PS4 needs to drop to $299 this Fall. Sales continue to be down. I guess we need global data for a true assessment of the situation though.

ascii42

Kinda depressing. :( But expected I guess, since matching Wii is not something we can expect from our 'everyday' normal console that doesn't hit a jackpot in popularity.

Also, can anyone explain why Minecraft Vita didn't chart? No physical copies being sold in the uS?

Minecraft is sold as a code in a box in the US. As is MLB 15.

Splatoon is likely not going to be frontloaded if I'm not mistaken. Mario Kart 8 for example sold more in June than May. It's very possible Splatoon might do the same, even if it's selling to the exact same people via word of mouth, etc. Nintendo has continued to market it, put out updates constantly to keep people playing the game, etc. We'll see though, although Amazon monthly charts have been fairly promising so far for June.

I agree that it should have at least some kind of legs but Amazon has been shown to be unreliable with niche games.

Actually, many Nintendo games aren't nearly as frontloaded as those from other publishers. It is entirely possible that word of mouth will keep Splatoon's sales healthy for the remainder of the year.

Yes some Nintendo titles do have legs but even they dont stay on the charts for long so my post was more about some people that are saying it should chart next month (one even suggested at a higher position).
And i think its quite a stretch to think about healthy sales for the remainder of the year for Splatoon at this point. I personally think it is unlikely (depends what you call healthy actually)

I agree most games are front loaded, but there are also plenty that are not front loaded. Many Nintendo titles for example. It's hard to say whether Splatoon will be or not.

I agree though. 5th place doesn't mean anything without context. 5th place could be any where from 50k to 100k for all I know.

Yes people were getting ahead of themselves with all the "OMG 5th place on the chart? And everyone said that it would bomb! *highfive" when we havent gotten the actual numbers. At least CosmicQueso already said that Splatoon's sales are impressive so i think that it is comfortably above 100k, which is a success.

This is generally true but most Nintendo games and certain non Nintendo series like the Sims buck this trend.

People say this a lot when talking about almost any Nintendo game and i think its a slight misconception. I would say that the Nintendo games that have a really long tail are mostly the really casual friendly like Smash and MK, and their platformers that have Mario.

Does anyone know of a new IP made by Nintendo with proven long legs?

Javin98

Banned
When the pie finishes baking. Could be a while. Never know.
I would volunteer as assistant chef if I could. Been waiting for hours now.

I for one welcome this no numbers NPD. Brings new life really.

Make love not war. Now if you don't mind, I'll do just that.
"Make love"? I hope you don't mean... XD

Anyway, when NPD numbers get released, I'm usually in school, so I have no idea what goes on in these threads because I skip the first 20-30 pages. But this time around, I'm lucky enough because it's still the school holidays. Then again, at this rate, I wouldn't consider myself lucky. It's boring when we get no numbers.

Wow only 2 days for Splatoon

"But May’s biggest surprise is probably Nintendo’s Wii U exclusive Splatoon. The colorful shooter did not debut until May 28, which means it only had two days of sales on this chart. Despite that, it was able to come in at No. 5 overall. This is impressive for a new intellectual property that is not widely available on all systems."

Top Bottom