• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

It's not even generally true, most AAA titles have very long legs, "front loaded" sales is a myth because to some people, if a game doesn't chart then it sold 0 units for some reason, as if the only games that sold any units are the ones in the chart.

Sure AA & lower tier AAA titles are front loaded, but the vast majority of AAA games have extremely long legs.

I question your definition of legs because the majority of AAA releases have a big part of their sales on their first day and the vast majority of their sales on the first month. And even when they sell a significant amount of copies long after release its most likely because of price reduction and that sale is not worth as much for the publisher as the day 1 sales.

Faustek

I missed April's.. I fucking missed Aprils NPD!!

No wonder I have a forced one week vacation coming up now :) Today being the last day until after midsummer :D Going to be so drunk, watching E3, barbecues, nieces and nephew out from school so I can have extra time with them. I'll perhaps even try to get laid with that freaky librarian again.... And I reckon nothing of this will happen as I'll be sleeping for a week hahaha....

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Shipped undoubtedly, sold through quite possibly

We have possibly 400-450k in JP by Q1 (end of June).

1 million is a forgone conclusion. Let's hope we get some numbers so we may see how USA has performed relatively to its Japanese launch.

Welfare

"Make love"? I hope you don't mean... XD

AVV21o1.gif

No numbers still? Fuck

Mory Dunz

People say this a lot when talking about almost any Nintendo game and i think its a slight misconception. I would say that the Nintendo games that have a really long tail are mostly the really casual friendly like Smash and MK, and their platformers that have Mario.

Does anyone know of a new IP made by Nintendo with proven long legs?

Tomodachi?
And how recent does it half to be?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Looking back at December, Nintendo didn't brag with the 250k of Captain Toad, and given the expected average to bad HW sales for 3ds and Wii U => that's why we don't have a PR from them now.

But it's not.

How much did GTA sell in its first month vs LTD? Call of Duty? FIFA? Uncharted 3? The Last of Us? Mario Kart 8? Smash? Gran Turismo 5? Tomb Raider Reboot? God of War 3? Battlefield 4?

The majority of the sales for the above games were outside of the first month.

I cant believe you mentioned GTA, COD, MK, Smash, FIFA, Battlefield and Gran Turismo to serve your arguement, those are literally the biggest and most casual friendly (and i say this not as a bad thing)franchises of the industry.

Naught Dog games do have longer legs because even the general gaming populace already recognize the studio as quality. Their games just have excellent word of mouth because of their quality. TLOU sold 3.4 million first 3 weeks and went on to sell 7 million, those are impressive legs but you can see that even with those phenomenal legs the first 3 weeks almost were >50% of the sales.

GOW 3 i dont have enough info to know if the first month was >50% of its LTD but i would bet it was close, its first month on NPD was something like 1.2 million right? And thats only NA. It went on to sell a bit over 5 million so i would say that the majority of sales ocurred on that first period (worldwide).

And Tomb Raider achieved those sales after countless re-releases and bargain bin prices, not really an accomplishment. And even then its first month sales were 3.4 million and it went on to sell 8.5 million after 2+ years so the first month sales still are a big pie of its total.

So clearly you can see that that statement remains true.

Alo0oy

Banned
I question your definition of legs because the majority of AAA releases have a big part of their sales on their first day and the vast majority of their sales on the first month. And even when they sell a significant amount of copies long after release its most likely because of price reduction and that sale is not worth as much for the publisher as the day 1 sales.

Here, AAA games from almost every single genre.

How much did GTA sell in its first month vs LTD? Call of Duty? FIFA? Uncharted 3? The Last of Us? Mario Kart 8? Smash? Gran Turismo 5? Tomb Raider Reboot? God of War 3? Battlefield 4?

The majority of the sales for the above games were outside of the first month.

All the games I mentioned above saw most of their sales after the first month, & I'm willing to provide numbers.

i'm not that surprised that minecraft is still in the top 10, but why the fuck are the last gen versions the best selling?
huh? There's like 160 million last gen consoles out there versus next-gem. It's easy to see why Minecraft would still be selling better on X360/PS3. Last gen hardware is basically dead yes, but people are still buying software for them.

And that takes me to the "Consoles are dying" debate. I don't think they are dying at all, just changing. Much like I don't go to the movies as much, but still LOVE the movies. I think people do like digital, and Sony/MS/Nintendo are just a bit slower to offer an actual store front. To be perfectly honest, MS is the one with the more forward thinking plan here, I think consumers are going to generally want a universal store front and app to play games on. There needs to be a "steam" equivalent on consoles.

Azure J

Very happy for Splatoon. Nintendo's laid down a strong foundation for a great series and I'm glad to see it performing well. I hope it inspires them to give more of their young devs some shine time, to try things in different genres they don't usually develop in and to keep refining this game with content.

Cheap setup for peoples kids maybe?
cheap setup for the kids? what do you mean?
huh? There's like 160 million last gen consoles out there versus next-gem. It's easy to see why Minecraft would still be selling better on X360/PS3. Last gen hardware is basically dead yes, but people are still buying software for them.

And that takes me to the "Consoles are dying" debate. I don't think they are dying at all, just changing. Much like I don't go to the movies as much, but still LOVE the movies. I think people do like digital, and Sony/MS/Nintendo are just a bit slower to offer an actual store front. To be perfectly honest, MS is the one with the more forward thinking plan here, I think consumers are going to generally want a universal store front and app to play games on. There needs to be a "steam" equivalent on consoles.
i mean if that's the reason why...like, gta5 is selling better on current gen consoles, as it should be, but that clearly is not the case for minecraft, and hasn't been. so it can't be because of the larger install bases.
Have fun and make sure you have enough energy left to join us when we discuss the numbers :p
when are we getting the numbers?
don't read too much into it
lol...is that a yes?

Alo0oy

Banned
I cant believe you mentioned GTA, COD, MK, Smash, FIFA, Battlefield and Gran Turismo to serve your arguement, those are literally the biggest and most casual friendly (and this is not a bad thing)franchises of the industry.

Naught Dog games do have longer legs because even the general gaming populace already recognize the studio as quality. Their games just have excellent word of mouth because of thei quality. TLOU sold 3.4 million first 3 weeks and went on to sell 8 million, those are impressive legs but you can see that even with those phenomenal legs the first 3 weeks almost were >50% of the sales. GOW 3 i dont have enough info to know if first month was >50% of its LTD but i would bet it was close, its first month on NPD was something like 1.2 million right? And thats only NA. It went on to sell a bit over 5 million so i would say that the majority of sales ocurred on that first period (worldwide).

So clearly you can see that that statement remains true.

You just dismissed the biggest AAA games in the industry because they're "casual", & then dismissed The Last of Us because of the studio.

God of War 3 sold 1.2 million in its first month on NPD, & then went on to sell a total of 2.8 million in that market (more than 50% of its sales were outside of the first month) as of May 2012.

Uncharted 3 sold about ~9 million after its first 5 months. Total sales for the series were around 17 million, & then they went on to sell an additional 4 million in the next three years. With Uncharted 3 likely more than doubling its 5 million first month sales.

Tomb Raider sold 8.5 million as of last month, more than doubling its 3.4 first month sales.

Mass Effect 3 & Bioshock Infinite nearly doubled their first month sales.

Do you want to argue your case by providing evidence where big AAA titles see the majority of their sales on the first month? Because that only happens to games with poor critical reception like Resident Evil 6.

DjRalford

cheap setup for the kids? what do you mean?

I mean people give their old consoles to their children, doing that and buying them minecraft is a cheap setup.

It stops then knackering your new console.
Gives them something new to play.
And its essentially the same game on PS3 / 360 as the PS4 / XBO version but cheaper to buy.

Sorry, I'm kinda clueless about how sales numbers work, but I'm wondering, I pre-ordered Splatoon in May, put $5 down for it then, and then picked it up and paid the rest of the price in June; could someone tell me if that would be counted as part of May's sales, or as part of June's sales?

Sales are counted with POS receipts, so the moment you pay the full price for Splatoon, it gets tallied.

Ergo, your purchase will be recorded in the June 2015 NPD report.

Mikey Jr.

Should be an easy win for the PS4.

That is straight up a no brainer.

If someone says Xbone will win June, you are dumb. Just straight up dumb.

The only wildcard is if MS pulls some E3 gigaton shit. I'm not even talking megaton. Straight up gigaton. Thats the only way they'll win June.

Come back at around 40 pages
for real?
I mean people give their old consoles to their children, doing that and buying them minecraft is a cheap setup.

It stops then knackering your new console.
Gives them something new to play.
And its essentially the same game on PS3 / 360 as the PS4 / XBO version but cheaper to buy.
hm, I guess that makes sense. but the thing is, minecraft last gen versions has been outselling the new gen versions for like, almost a year now, iirc. it's unreal. i would think that by now the last gen versions are selling better
Yep. That and I'd bet the digital percentage is higher on current gen.
ah, npd is all physical?

DToneli

Neo Member
for real?hm, I guess that makes sense. but the thing is, minecraft last gen versions has been outselling the new gen versions for like, almost a year now, iirc. it's unreal. i would think that by now the last gen versions are selling betterah, npd is all physical?

Yep, just imagine how many more sales PC would have if it included Steam data

That is straight up a no brainer.

If someone says Xbone will win June, you are dumb. Just straight up dumb.

The only wildcard is if MS pulls some E3 gigaton shit. I'm not even talking megaton. Straight up gigaton. Thats the only way they'll win June.

ISnt the 1TB XBO about to be released?

Top Bottom