• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

CrisKre said:
Ok. Lest think about this for a minute. Nov 06= 4 weeks. Nov 07= 5 weeks. Pricecut. Massive ad campaign. yeah. not so hot for PS3.

November is 4 weeks for both and the pricing is more like

$399/$299 360

vs

$499/$399 PS3

VALIS

watership said:
Uncharted is a great game, with a really bland main character.

How's that different from Halo? Yet one sold 117K and the other sold +3m. I think there is something to the theory that a lot of PS3 purchasers bought it for the BluRay. If you own a PS3 and you're not buying Uncharted and R&C, why do you have one?

kbear said:
I think it's disgusting how the first few pages are littered with "Where's Uncharted??" remarks. I guarantee most of the people asking that never played the game and just wanted to see if it failed or not because it's PS3's best game. People should be genuinely sad about its sales because it's easily one of the best games of the year, if not the best. Absolutely disgusting posts.

Welcome to the GAF. theres a reason why i only come here once a month.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
AltogetherAndrews said:
If anything is going to "save" the PS3 it will be Killzone 2. Yes, irrespective of quality. All other first party games are doomed to bomb because hey, PS3 owners LOL. Fuck you, PS3 owners.
Do you think Killzone 2 will really have a huge effect in the US?
Over here in the UK I think the biggest boost the PS3 will recieve in the next year is GTAIV. Obviously it'll do better numbers on the 360 but it will shift a lot of PS3 hardware here.

MassiveAttack said:
Based on these numbers, another PS3 price cut by March looks fairly certain.
There's no point, $50 won't change anything. If the price drops in the next 6 months it'll be in retaliation to an MS price drop around GTAIV time. Assuming GTA makes it out within 6 months of course:lol

MassiveAttack said:
Based on these numbers, another PS3 price cut by March looks fairly certain.
Sony pissed away an entire year at $599/499 while MS and Nintendo made hay, so yeah they need to make one more ballsy price move if they really want to make up that ground. But if they drop to $349 (to match 360) or even $299 how much would they be losing on each unit? It doesn't even bear thinking about.

MechDX

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm trumping your anecdotal evidence with my superior anecdotal evidence: I'm on my third, I have a friend on his SEVENTH, not ONE of my friends is still on their first - and this includes two friends that bought them in June and July and have both had to return theirs for RRoD.

360 owners still buy games even though they have nothing to play them on?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cheebs said:
Fixed:

rotk1427pr2.jpg

PlayStation 3 466K

LOTR2.jpg

PlayStation 2 496K

fotr0045tt6.jpg

PSP 567K

rotk2366oe4.jpg

Xbox 360 770K

fotr0162ir2.jpg

Wii 981K

rotk2447hm2.jpg

Nintendo DS 1.53 million

:lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
schuelma said:
WTF do you expect P.R to say? They have to earn their paycheck and their product isn't giving them much to work with.

Yeah, but that was a lie, there's spin and there's crap and that strayed far into the dumbass zone, but hey, they have to drag something out of this mess I suppose.

markom58

Neo Member
Uncle said:
Eh, isn't that 3x the user base = 3x times the software sales a bit lame excuse considering you have to ignore Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Rock Band numbers?

This man speaketh the truth.

360 MASS EFFECT MICROSOFT (CORP) NOV 2007 MATURE (M) 6 473K
360 HALO 3 MICROSOFT (CORP) SEP 2007 MATURE (M) 9 387K
and Rock Band at 312K

Total 1172k vs 187k Uncarted + Rock Band PS3

360 is a software beast and there are no signs of it stopping.

JB1981

AltogetherAndrews said:
Exclusives can do perfectly fine, but apparently not on PS3. Why? Because PS3 owners suck shit. The overwhelming majority of them at that.
PS3 is their blu-ray player and they buy their games for the 360 that they use as their primary console. That's the problem.

VALIS said:
How's that different from Halo? Yet one sold 117K and the other sold +3m. I think there is something to the theory that a lot of PS3 purchasers bought it for the BluRay. If you own a PS3 and you're not buying Uncharted and R&C, why do you have one?
A "casual gamer" would probably say: "To play Madden and NFS with better graphics..."

Gary Whitta said:
Sony pissed away an entire year at $599/499 while MS and Nintendo made hay, so yeah they need to make one more ballsy price move if they really want to make up that ground. But if they drop to $349 (to match 360) or even $299 how much would they be losing on each unit? It doesn't even bear thinking about.

And the 360 will drop price to continue having the price advantage over it.

NeoUltima said:
Holy shit at all the Ps3 trolling....Is it like this every month? Jesus, it sold higher than GAF and the so-called "analysts" predicted. Not to mention, its software sales are in line with the 360s when you take userbase into consideration.

I love it, call me a fanboy if you want, but I remember reading millions apon millions of "360 sucks, PS3 is going to dominate!" threads and posts. It is great for me to just sit back and let the numbers speak for themselves. It really is sweet sweet justice.

GhaleonEB

TheRipDizz said:
To an large extent, yeah. You are underplaying the 360's fervered pace though. The PS2 never had software numbers matching its installedbase ratio, nevermind surpassing it. As the installed base grows, the more likely it is that there are a bunch of gamers that will just not buy software on a consistant basis. This has yet to happen to the 360 and has even grown to some extent. It deffinatly is not guarenteed to happen to the PS3 and the Wii as their installed base grows to match the 360's. In fact if history is anything to go by, they probably won't
That's why I said "Largely". The 360 usebase does buy a lot of software, no denying that. But the userbase size is even more powerful of a force, and is the primary (not only) reason that sales on it are standing so tall over PS3.

As has been said, after Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank underperforming, 3rd parties working on major PS3 exclusives are going to be taking a nice long hard look at the 360.

Darkman M said:
:lol You ok buddy?

No. Seriously, if I wasn't personally so damned fond of them I'd say Sony should just pack first party development up because clearly, PS3 owners suck too much shit to appreciate it. Infamous is coming out next year, and it will almost certainly be a kick ass awesome game from a great developer... and despite a growing userbase it will likely struggle to reach 50k in its first month. Meanwhile, shit will continue to sell. God I hate PS3 owners.

Y2Kev said:
Unreal Tournament 3 (PC) - 34k

holy shit

Oh god, someone please save Little BIg Planet

MGS4....yeah I'm not going to comment....

Joke post? You've got to be fucking kidding me? I mean SERIOUSLY. I have to wonder how this game will sell on Ps3. I'd hate to point a finger at Epic, but it was a bad move not putting
UT3 on the 360 this fall. The game would have sold at least 500k judging by how shooters have been selling this fall on the 360.

But on another subject altogether, what the fuck is happening to PC shooters? Someone please tell me Orange Box did great on PC.

Microsoft hold all the cards next year.

No matter how good the PS3 software calendar is for 2008, Microsoft can drop $100 whenever they deem necessary.

Leonsito

I miss the old NPD threads with the full numbers, the 360 section would be interesting, this machine is a software-selling monster, the users must be rich, I wish I had the money to purchase every great game that comes out :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Gary Whitta said:

It's pretty much over. Even another price drop won't bring Sony back from the dead, at this point.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Opus Angelorum said:
One thing is for sure, any third party developer that is currently working on an unannounced PS3 exclusive will be having a long hard think over the holiday period.

Very good point. Why would any third party have a PS3 exclusive knowing it will not sell?

Mojovonio

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
No. Seriously, if I wasn't personally so damned fond of them I'd say Sony should just pack first party development up because clearly, PS3 owners suck too much shit to appreciate it. Infamous is coming out next year, and it will almost certainly be a kick ass awesome game from a great developer... and despite a growing userbase it will likely struggle to reach 50k in its first month. Meanwhile, shit will continue to sell. God I hate PS3 owners.

This is getting a little scary.

WingM@n

These sales put the 360 as the lead platform for devs for at least the next 2 years. Knowing that a lot of games take about 2 years or more to be developed.

Raw64life

If it's possible to get some DS software sales, particularly for Zelda and Contra 4 that would be nice. I mean these people have to be buying something other than Brain Age/Nintendogs right?

Kuroyume

Banned
Anyone know how Quake Wars did? I know it wasn't released last month, but I'm curious. I also want to know what happened to the 360 and PS3 ports.

WinFonda

Hellraizer said:
Mass Effect makes ~28mio, Drake ~7

Jup, no difference there...

BioWare isn't owned by Microsoft, so profits are split up. Naughty Dog is wholly owned by Sony. Yep, no difference at all.

Darkman M said:
Glad to see Mass Effect did well close to 500k

*Relieved*

Not the greatest by any means, but all things considered, definitely a success, and if Microsofts announcement of it "already sold a million" is true, even more so (But I doubt that).

GhaleonEB

Opus Angelorum said:
Microsoft hold all the cards next year.

No matter how good the PS3 software calendar is for 2008, Microsoft can drop $100 whenever they deem necessary.
Yup. Imagine if they do that before GTA IV.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS3 owners don't suck shit, Sony sucks shit for not marketing the game well enough.

Assassin's Creed is not the typical gritty war setting, and yet it sold well. It's all a function of marketing. Ubisoft had fucking Jade Raymond out in front of the media two fucking years ago pimping this game like nobody's business. It got media hype, people fawning over it in previews-- IGN and Gamespot dying over it whenever they saw it, had commercials from both camps, was all over the print media, was the darling of trade shows wherever it went...

Sony premiers Uncharted in a trailer at their disastrous E3 2k6 conference, then says nothing about it for a year. And then really nothing else after that. Uncharted has no face. It isn't even advertised heavily weeks, months before.

Uncharted isn't a freaking hard sell-- is Indiana Jones a hard sell?

rubso said:
PC shooters won't bomb if they were released day and date with their Xbox 360 version.. cuz some ppl will buy the PC version, you know. ( i.e bioshock )
That explains the shitty UT3 numbers.

People are just waiting for the 360 version.

GhaleonEB said:
As has been said, after Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank underperforming, 3rd parties working on major PS3 exclusives are going to be taking a nice long hard look at the 360.

The two major ones were signed away before the situation became totally clear, so I doubt they'll be changing

Top Bottom