• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2007

Uncle

sonycowboy said:
November is 4 weeks for both and the pricing is more like

$399/$299 360

vs

$499/$399 PS3

Did the core really help push X360? I was under the impression that it has been pretty much a non-factor for the time it has been on sale.

mood

WingM@n said:
These sales put the 360 as the lead platform for devs for at least the next 2 years. Knowing that a lot of games take about 2 years or more to be developed.

Yeah its safe to assume the 360 wont be ignored because of how the competition is doing (bar any great Wii ideas that have yet to be tapped) by any devs for the rest of the generation.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dark FaZe said:
Joke post? You've got to be fucking kidding me? I mean SERIOUSLY. I have to wonder how this game will sell on Ps3. I'd hate to point a finger at Epic, but it was a bad move not putting
UT3 on the 360 this fall. The game would have sold at least 500k judging by how shooters have been selling this fall on the 360.

But on another subject altogether, what the fuck is happening to PC shooters? Someone please tell me Orange Box did great on PC.

Nobody knows for certain, Valve keeps STEAM sales to themselves, where a heck of a lot of people went to get OB on PC as it was cheaper, especially to pre order, bastards :( (Valve for no divulging sales info, not savvy consumers).

Raw64life

Some Rough LTDs...

360 HALO 3 - ~4.1 million

PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE - ~140K

PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~1.5 million

WII WII PLAY W/REMOTE - ~3.0 million
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK - ~710K
WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION - ~500K
WII ZACK & WIKI QUEST FOR BARBARO'S TREASURE - ~35K

lockload

Your not going to get a much more mainstream games than uncharted and ratchet and klank, sony must be really starting to get worried now

Ive got a felign the marketing budget for those agmes outweighed and small profits made

People are bull******** with this RROD crap....nobody gives a ****! Is it even an issue anymore? I haven't been hearing too much about it...except by trolls on GAF that is. The problem seems all but fixed far as I can tell.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Funky. On one hand, things look bleak for Sony on the video game front. On the other hand, that's 450k Blu Ray players sold in November to help things in that format war.

I dunno, six of one, half dozen of another?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Y2Kev said:
Sony premiers Uncharted in a trailer at their disastrous E3 2k6 conference, then says nothing about it for a year. And then really nothing else after that. Uncharted has no face. It isn't even advertised heavily weeks, months before.

Uncharted isn't a freaking hard sell-- is Indiana Jones a hard sell?

I do see your point- Uncharted's marketing certainly wasn't amazing. But I do agree with those who say the overall feel of the game and the look of the character does make it a tougher sell than the typical shooter.

NeoUltima

AltogetherAndrews said:
No. Seriously, if I wasn't personally so damned fond of them I'd say Sony should just pack first party development up because clearly, PS3 owners suck too much shit to appreciate it. Infamous is coming out next year, and it will almost certainly be a kick ass awesome game from a great developer... and despite a growing userbase it will likely struggle to reach 50k in its first month. Meanwhile, shit will continue to sell. God I hate PS3 owners.
Their first-party games have probably been underperforming due to a lack of hype and their genres. Resistance and Motorstorm both are in "popular" genres, got a lot of hype, and ultimately sold well.
edit: Of course, this still doesn't change the fact that it sucks ass that R&C and Uncharted underperformed.

sphinx

the piano man
I think the following is the most alerting fact:

Losing consoles doesn't necessarily translate into bad business for 3rd party publishers. Sometimes, even if hardware sales are low or dismal, a well placed product (game) can attract the interest of the install base and return some profit. ( Tales of S on NGC, for example )

I don't think PS3 has ever shown that virtue . Yes, resistance sold well on launch but nothing memorable, everthing else in regards to software does sooooo poorly specially in comparison to the competition, is just shameful.

How the hell is an expensive, HD software eclusive project viable with this kind of sales? It's impossible, the only chance for the PS3 is to hope it will get whatever games publishers do for 360. What a humilliating position, to be dependant on the console of the competition to get support from publishers... Nasty. :(

And Square-Enix... really I don't know, how the hell is FF:XIII and FFV:XIII freaking viable?? I don't know, I'd like to ask the guys in suits in Japan what the hell is their plan with that.

GhaleonEB

Liara T'Soni said:
*Relieved*

Not the greatest by any means, but all things considered, definitely a success, and if Microsofts announcement of it "already sold a million" is true, even more so (But I doubt that).
Microsoft's announcement was both for world-wide, and included a week after the NPD numbers. A million is pretty reasonable.

lockload said:
Your not going to get a much more mainstream games than uncharted and ratchet and klank, sony must be really starting to get worried now

Well I guess Little Big Planet is the last hope in terms of a game that can attract a wide demographic.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Mojovonio said:
Sony really needs Gears of War.

Fixed.

Opus Angelorum said:
Well I guess Little Big Planet is the last hope in terms of a game that can attract a wide demographic.

Really? I sort of thought LBP was even more niche than most games. Awesome, but niche.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Opus Angelorum said:
Microsoft hold all the cards next year.

No matter how good the PS3 software calendar is for 2008, Microsoft can drop $100 whenever they deem necessary.

And Nintendo isnt even playing the same game, and they are still winning

jacobs34

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. Imagine if they do that before GTA IV.

If? Ive been wondering why more people aren't talking about this yet, everyone is talking about another PS3 price cut but Microsoft will be able to actually afford to cut their price simoltaneously. It's scary to think what will happen then.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
schuelma said:
I do see your point- Uncharted's marketing certainly wasn't amazing. But I do agree with those who say the overall feel of the game and the look of the character does make it a tougher sell than the typical shooter.

Maybe, I don't know. I don't think generic is a good complaint though. Since when does generic character design hurt games? I mean COD4 has a generic soldier on the cover, H3...and I don't want to get into arguments over the virtue of those games here, but I just don't see it.

lockload

schuelma said:

There were adverts for it all over the palce for it on tv in the uk but it still only made #28 in the charts

Im really starting to think people are buying PS3's for bluray but then again sony recently announced they had sold 1m bluray discs in the US so thats less than 1 per 3 PS3's sold?

Mifune

Mehmber
Happy that AC sold so well. Really sad that R&C is apparently a complete bomb.

Yay 360 and PS3 sales...HD lives on. The Wii is a monster.

Mojovonio

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

But to me, I think LBP will be SOny's Viva Pinata.

This generation isn't about cute platformers.

Its about shooting shit, as demonstrated by COD4 numbers.

Then you have the sports games, the party games, the adventure games.

Niche games like LBP and Viva Pinata have no place in this generation, unless they're on the Wii.

Granted, what LBP has over VP is that its a PSN game, but I'd very surprised if it does very well.

tehbear

schuelma said:

Sony don't have shit going for them on price and development, then they miss the pulse of gamers in America. Failed on every front. I still love Uncharted tho :)

DrForester said:
rotk2517.jpg

GBA 66k

Fission Mailed

HK-47 said:
And Nintendo isnt even playing the same game, and they are still winning

Nintendo is not the issue for Sony.

How can they even think about competing against the Wii when they are having trouble with a system that last generation they utterly demolished?

Mojovonio said:
Its about shooting shit, as demonstrated by COD4 numbers.

So you think it might be Haze or KZ2?

Kosma

Banned
I think people are really writing off the BIG PS3 projects off to soon. MGS4, FFXIII and Killzone 2 will all sell well, because they are already hyped and in genres that people care about.

I know we all love Viva Pinata and Uncharted but these games just don't have mass appeal it seems.

CrisKre

Losing consoles doesn't necessarily translate bad business for 3rd party exclusives. Sometimes, even if hardware sales are low or dismal, a well placed product (game) can attract the interest of the install base and return some profit. ( Tales of S on NGC, for example )

I don't think PS3 has ever shown that virtue . Yes, resistance sold well on launch but nothing memorable, everthing else in regards to software does sooooo poorly specially in comparison to the competition, is just shameful.

How the hell is an expensive, HD software eclusive project viable with this kind of sales? It's impossible, the only chance for the PS3 is to hope it will get whatever games publishers do for 360. What a humilliating position, to be dependant on the console of the competition to get support from publishers... Nasty. :(

And Square-Enix... really I don't know, how the hell is FF:XIII and FFV:XIII freaking viable?? I don't know, I'd like to ask the guys in suits in Japan what the hell is their plan with that.

True. On a lighter note, for PS3 owners like myself it is reasuring to know that Sonys 1st party efforts in the pst 5-8 years have upped in quality significantly and are among the best in the industry. So the situation is not unlike gamecube's in many regards (this time ther e will be more 3rd party vs. gamecube's nintendo games being more popular than sony's ps3 maybe).

GhaleonEB

sphinx said:

Losing consoles doesn't necessarily translate into bad business for 3rd party publishers. Sometimes, even if hardware sales are low or dismal, a well placed product (game) can attract the interest of the install base and return some profit. ( Tales of S on NGC, for example )

Yeah. Think back on the big hits in the 360's first year on sale. GRAW, Oblivion, Dead Rising, Saint's Row, etc. Where were those kind of hits on the PS3 this year? IIRC, the biggest up until this month was Motorstorm, at 199k debut month sales. (And they're first party now.) You have me rethinking the whole usebase argument I made earlier. lol

Brak

perfectchaos007 said:
Where's the portable software? 1.5 million DS games sold and no DS game making the top 10 is kinda unbelievable.
This may have been answered already, but I keep seeing it popping up in the first 8 pages. I think the simplest and most likely answer is that the DS has very appealing back-catalog titles, like most Nintendo systems, and it had no big releases to galvanize the user base. There could be upwards of 10 titles that sold in the 200k range (Pokemon, Mario Kart, NSMB, Zelda: PH, Brain Age 1 + 2, Animal Crossing, etc.) You also have to remember that even though the DS has a pretty good attach rate, generally handhelds do not move a lot of software.

In the end, I don't think there's anything to be concerned about espeically when we've mostly got data on titles that sold over 300k units. There's a lot of the market that's unaccounted for in the scraps that we're poring over.

Also thanks Sonycowboy and David Riley for another fun day of NPD. :)

Mojovonio

Banned
Also, I think achievements and being able to see what your friends are playing is the most brilliant marketing MS has ever come up with.

It gets peopel to choose 360 versions of games and gives free advertising.

sphinx

the piano man
jetjevons said:
Well I guess MP3 is getting near decent numbers. It still deserves more.

I don't know how people pity MP3 numbers when zack and wiki and uncharted are way behind that.

MP3, for the repelent/niche franchise it is in the eyes of many gamers, did a fucking miracle of reaching those sales.

Uncle

I just realized that I made some pretty nice deals with Mass Effect and 360 Rock Band NPD futures on TSE. What ever will I do with my pretend money...

Mojovonio said:
But to me, I think LBP will be SOny's Viva Pinata.

Unless it is explained in great detail, LBP will be too complicated for the Wii crowd. Its looks like a hardcore game to me ( I thinkit looks great )

We already saw last gen casual king singstar bomb in the UK on PS3

GhaleonEB

Uncle said:
Did the core really help push X360? I was under the impression that it has been pretty much a non-factor for the time it has been on sale.
It was a very small proportion of 360 sales.

kbear said:
I think it's disgusting how the first few pages are littered with "Where's Uncharted??" remarks. I guarantee most of the people asking that never played the game and just wanted to see if it failed or not because it's PS3's best game. People should be genuinely sad about its sales because it's easily one of the best games of the year, if not the best. Absolutely disgusting posts.

I teared up...

Get over it drama-queen. Good games don't sell very often.

Hunter D

oo Kosma oo said:
I think people are really writing off the BIG PS3 projects off to soon. MGS4, FFXIII and Killzone 2 will all sell well, because they are already hyped and in genres that people care about.
These are the games the system should have launched with plus GT5. The games are too late to help anything.

Nolan.

Stinkles said:
Fixed.

Really? I sort of thought LBP was even more niche than most games. Awesome, but niche.

Exactly, LBP is niche but for some reason people put it on a pedastal, I personally don't get what about it screams great sales, still not convinced.

JB1981

Y2Kev said:
PS3 owners don't suck shit, Sony sucks shit for not marketing the game well enough.

Assassin's Creed is not the typical gritty war setting, and yet it sold well. It's all a function of marketing. Ubisoft had fucking Jade Raymond out in front of the media two fucking years ago pimping this game like nobody's business. It got media hype, people fawning over it in previews-- IGN and Gamespot dying over it whenever they saw it, had commercials from both camps, was all over the print media, was the darling of trade shows wherever it went...

Sony premiers Uncharted in a trailer at their disastrous E3 2k6 conference, then says nothing about it for a year. And then really nothing else after that. Uncharted has no face. It isn't even advertised heavily weeks, months before.

Uncharted isn't a freaking hard sell-- is Indiana Jones a hard sell?

Dude Raider, bro. No one cares anymore. The market has changed.

Top Bottom