• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Dipswitch

Something has been puzzling me lately........what happens to the sales numbers from retailers not tracked by NPD, like Walmart? PR from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo only seem to refer to NPD figures, which means they're often downplaying actual units sold in a particular month.

Are these numbers captured anywhere? Or are they actually factored in to the NPD numbers somehow?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dipswitch said:
Something has been puzzling me lately........what happens to the sales numbers from retailers not tracked by NPD, like Walmart? PR from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo only seem to refer to NPD figures, which means they're often downplaying actual units sold in a particular month.

Are these numbers captured anywhere? Or are they actually factored in to the NPD numbers somehow?
They're estimated to include them.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dipswitch said:

NPD estimates the numbers and are pretty good at it, otherwise the manufacturers would dispute the NPD estimates.

Dipswitch said:

They're estimated into NPD numbers.

offshore said:
But the numbers aren't brilliant are they. They both got outsold by a month-old Fable 3, which is only on one platform as well.

So that would surely mean that the genre is not the most popular at the moment, not that it's nearly dead?

GAF and hyperbole, I know...

jett

D-Member
Dipswitch said:

They're estimated. NPD numbers are only projections, I think they track less than 40% of the market. Too bad they have no competition. :p

TunaLover

NFS born like a PC game
GT born like a console game

This is troubling, at least for a console enthusiast, how PC IPs are winning major market share while console counterparts are loosing it, sad news lately for console exclusive IPs.

FrankT

jett said:
They're estimated. NPD numbers are only projections, I think they track less than 40% of the market. Too bad they have no competition. :p

Was thinking it was closer to 60%. I haven't seen that number in awhile though.

Dave Long

Banned
GT5's biggest problem was the extended development period that resulted in a near surprise release in November. Gamers knew it was probably coming out in 2010, but no one else did. There was no marketing push for it until right before release.

It's time to kick Polyphony to the curb and find a developer that can deliver on time and with a siginificantly upgraded product situated around the driving experience already offered. People might care again.

Either way, GT5 will sell ok over the long run. I think people barely knew it existed in November.

TunaLover said:
NFS born like a PC game

This is troubling, at least for a console enthusiast, how PC IPs are winning major market share while console counterparts are loosing it, sad news lately for console exclusive IPs.
This is how it's going to go. The majority of PC gamers migrated to consoles with the Xbox. Some of them keep their toe dipped in the PC world, but a large contingent is now looking for PC-like games on consoles and they're extremely vocal.

Kafel

Banned
Sony should have used their KB marketing money on emergency temporary developers to deliver their titles on time.

What did they have this holiday season except the late GT5 to counter Halo Reach/Fable 3/Kinect and its line-up ?

Did they really expect Move to move (hah) hardware ?

We know that the Kinect titles are in the #10 - #15 spots of this month's NPD, where are the Move titles ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jtyettis said:
Was thinking it was closer to 60%. I haven't seen that number in awhile though.
Well, EA's CEO said they tracked a grand total of four retailers, so I guess it would depend what percentage those four retailers cover.

IndustryGamers said:
Remember, the NPD doesn’t even capture second sale, and if you included that in the consumer’s perspective, they probably spent more on even packaged goods than they did the year before. So, if you want to look at this through the unique lens of what sells through four U.S. Retailers – first sales packaged goods only, and exclude everything else, fine. But that’s actually a really weird data point because that excludes everything that’s growing.
Source:http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-ceo-john-riccitiello-talks-e3-online-pass-3d-gaming-and-more/

I think two of the retailers are GameStop and Amazon. Toys R' Us bailed out a while ago, and we know Wal-Mart isn't included, but we still have two mystery slots.

Tmac

StoOgE said:
NPD estimates the numbers and are pretty good at it, otherwise the manufacturers would dispute the NPD estimates.

Good is different from exact.

No manufactures whould call out NPD in public because they missed their number by 10%. That whould be ridiculous. NPD is good at doing estimates.

That being said you have to keep in mind that those are exactly numbers. For example those month games ranked 6, 7 and 8 (430k, 417k, 400k). What NPD tell us is that those games sold around 400k copies. In the exactly numbers world it's quite possible that the actual rank is different due to small fluctuation on estimates.

flyinpiranha said:
Anybody "not surprised" by GT5 numbers is kidding themselves. I expected a mil AT LEAST on day 1. Everywhere up and down in every PS3/Sony thread it's touted as THE franchise on the PS3. I know it did better in other parts of the world but it still surprises the shit out of me being it's the ONLY game exclusive to the PS3 in the range of like, 30 days that even released.

Sony die-hards are their own worst enemy, really. If they weren't so fervent in their assertions, stuff like this would not be as earth shattering.

Keep it up, Sony army. My personal entertainment correlates strongly to your devotion.

RedStep

TunaLover said:
NFS born like a PC game

What does "born like a PC game" even mean? NFS released on the 3DO, with a PC version coming later. Assassin's Creed, Just Dance, Madden (?), Fable, Donkey Kong Country, Gran Turismo, and Wii Fit were all "born like console games", and pretty much make up the entire list.

The only thing sad here is that you took the time to post that.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jtyettis said:
Working off the numbers from last month so far;

LTD
DS 44.7M
Wii 31.77M
360 23.53M
PS3 14.25M

YTD
DS 6M
Wii 4.66M
360 4.9M
PS3 3.12M

Chance for 360 to reach 7 million this year. I believe that would beat out the 2nd best year of PS2 iirc.
Thanks, i was looking for the LTD numbers for US! :)

Tmac

Kafel said:
Sony should have used their KB marketing money on emergency temporary developers to deliver their titles on time.

What did they have this holiday season except the late GT5 to counter Halo Reach/Fable 3/Kinect and its line-up ?

We know that the Kinect titles are in the #10 - #15 spots of this month's NPD, where are the Move titles ?

500 million on marketing and only #10 and #15 spot?

Sony took a complete different approach with MOVE. They want that to succed in mouth-to-mouth and gain momentum over time. Kinect have a more front loaded approach.

Both strategies have the potential to work, only time will tell which one will pays off.

Vinci

Danish
szaromir said:
There's nothing to doubt with 2.5M sellthrough in under one month, Kinect is one of the devices this Xmas.

It depends largely on who's actually buying it. If many of those sales are coming from existing 360 ownership, that isn't as significant or as important. Don't get me wrong: It's a good start, and it certainly isn't hurting. But it's hard to say how extensive a role it's playing in 360 adoption, given that the console has been selling well for quite a while now.

iDevices will outsell it, but Kinect is in the launch period... But I expect significant drop in early 2011.

And all I was saying was that it's not going to be THE 'must have' gift this holiday season if other items are more desirable - which the Apple products are.

Kafel said:

I don't expect to see them for miles on the chart. Sony's biggest problem with Move has been pushing out software that's worthwhile. Sports Champions is great but it's nothing fresh and everything else is just ok. They really don't have a killer app title and they're in no rush to get one. Even Sly's support appears like an afterthought. I have Move and enjoy Sports Champs, The Fight, The Shoot and even Singstar Dance but they needed to launch with something like Sorcery from the gate. That could have been a real hit - in sales and quality - launch.

FrankT

Nirolak said:
Well, EA's CEO said they tracked a grand total of four retailers, so I guess it would depend what percentage those four retailers cover.

Source:http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-ceo-john-riccitiello-talks-e3-online-pass-3d-gaming-and-more/

I think two of the retailers are GameStop and Amazon. Toys R' Us bailed out a while ago, and we know Wal-Mart isn't included, but we still have two mystery slots.

That's interesting. If I remember correctly Sonycowboy posted what share they tracked back in the day and I thought retailers included were way more than simply four.

Vinci said:
It depends largely on who's actually buying it. If many of those sales are coming from existing 360 ownership, that isn't as significant or as important. Don't get me wrong: It's a good start, and it certainly isn't hurting. But it's hard to say how extensive a role it's playing in 360 adoption, given that the console has been selling well for quite a while now.

Yes and without Kinect it would be nowhere near 1.4 million this month. Slim has given it a boost, but nowhere near a 600k YoY monthly kind of boost either. I guess the real judgment call will come in Dec. With slim alone this fall, no Kinect, maybe 200k boost for Nov is my guess.

Kafel

Banned
Tmac said:
500 million on marketing and only #10 and #15 spot?

You realize the userbase is much smaller than for all the other titles that can chart ?

If NPD considered Kinect Adventures it would be at the second spot I think though.

Vinci

Danish
Jtyettis said:
Yes and without Kinect it would be nowhere near 1.4 million this month. Slim has given it a boost, but nowhere near a 600k YoY monthly kind of boost either. I guess the real judgment call will come in Dec. With slim alone this fall, no Kinect, maybe 200k boost for Nov is my guess.

It's been building momentum all year, man. I'm not saying Kinect did nothing - I just doubt that it was the primary driver of the 360's sales. It's just a growing platform right now, and has been for a while.

Dunlop

Kafel said:
If NPD considered Kinect Adventures it would be at the second spot I think though.

I asked this last month,but why does (or did?) WiiPlay track when it was a game that came with an accessory but not Kinect Adventures or Sports Champions??

FrankT

Vinci said:
It's been building momentum all year, man. I'm not saying Kinect did nothing - I just doubt that it was the primary driver of the 360's sales. It's just a growing platform right now, and has been for a while.

Oh I would very much say it was the primary driver for the YoY boost in Nov. Slim plus solid SW being the second/third. Perhaps Pachter can provide how the two bundles did as that would give us part of the picture.

Dunlop said:
I asked this last month,but why does (or did?) WiiPlay track when it was a game that came with an accessory but not Kinect Adventures or Sports Champions??

I believe NPD changed the reporting for Wiiplay midway. Now all in accessories maybe iirc.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dunlop said:
Maybe Kinect Adventures and Sports Champions are concidered the other way around, as accessory with a game included and not as a game with accessory included.

Vinci

Danish
Jtyettis said:
Oh I would very much say it was the primary driver for the YoY boost in Nov. Slim plus solid SW being the second/third. Perhaps Pachter can provide how the two bundles did as that would give us part of picture.

Yeah, I'd love more numbers. Thanks a lot, NPD. =(

I'll say this much: If Kinect is doing this, it's actually having a pretty decent impact. Not sure I'd say it's an impact worth 500 million dollars, but it's still pretty good.

Hammer24

Banned
Just had a look at "NPD Threads for Dummies" and came up with:

Page 237. A game bombed, when:
a) there are more than ten replies pointing out that DD sales are not counted
and/or b) there are more than ten replies pointing out that it only had x days of sales
Rule of thumb, the more posts pointing out one of the above, the worse the bomb.

Page 468. A console is in need of a price cut, when it sells less than half of its competitors. A console is in bad need of a price cut, when there are posts pointing out that NPD doesn´t directly track Walmart. The worse the hyperbole (i.e. "they only guess", "too bad they don´t have competition" etc), the badder the need for said price cut.

Hammer24

Banned
Dunlop said:

Thats a question of perception. If the game is thought to have a higher MSRP than the accessory its bundled with, it´ll count as game+. And vice versa

FoneBone

Dunlop said:
I think it depends on how the manufacturer wants it classified. Could be wrong, though.

antiquegamer said:
I remember buying 3DO because of this game...my worst console purchase ever, right up there with Sega Saturn.
:/
best sega console ever IMO, but you'll have to go outside of domestic releases

Jtyettis said:
Working off the numbers from last month so far;

LTD
DS 44.7M
Wii 31.77M
360 23.53M
PS3 14.25M

YTD
DS 6M
Wii 4.66M
360 4.9M
PS3 3.12M
Well, we finally know where Nintendo is getting their "No Wii successor until it hits 45 million" number from. Everybody out there that's on their 2nd or 3rd DS better rush out and pick up several Wiis ASAP.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hammer24 said:
Just had a look at "NPD Threads for Dummies" and came up with:

Page 237. A game bombed, when:
a) there are more than ten replies pointing out that DD sales are not counted
and/or b) there are more than ten replies pointing out that it only had x days of sales
Rule of thumb, the more posts pointing out one of the above, the worse the bomb.
If more than 10 people say these things about Call of Duty: Black Ops, does it become a bomb? ;)

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I said wow at the discrepancy between 360 and PS3. PS3 usually lags a bit behind but that is a frigging gulf. What the hell happened?

No PSP numbers? I thought it would do pretty well with the $129/$150 black friday bundles.

offshore

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
So that would surely mean that the genre is not the most popular at the moment, not that it's nearly dead?

GAF and hyperbole, I know...
Apart from pointing out that the numbers weren't stellar, I'm not quite sure where I said it's nearly dead.

szaromir

Banned
Vinci said:
And all I was saying was that it's not going to be THE 'must have' gift this holiday season if other items are more desirable - which the Apple products are.
There's never THE device that all people absolutely want. iPhone is popular, so is Kindle, so are various Android phones (800k activations a day recently!), so are still Wii and DS. Nothing is one dimensional. Ultimately selling 5M of any consumer electronics device within 2 months (if MS hits their targets) is always a huge success and sign of huge public awareness/desirability (is that a word?:)).

One of 360 sales drivers is XBL I suspect, it's a typical example of a "network effect", ability to chat with your friends when playing any game is huge, so the more of your friends already have a 360, the more likely you are to buy one. It works stronger* than it used to with PS2 or Wii as the experience of your friends affects in a way your experience.

*even if not on the same scale

Kafel

Banned
Vinci said:

I'll say this much: If Kinect is doing this, it's actually having a pretty decent impact. Not sure I'd say it's an impact worth 500 million dollars, but it's still pretty good.

It could be worth 4 billion dollars for all you and I know.

It's not only about the holiday season, now Kinect is a new well-known brand in the mindshare. How many new customers will it bring to MS ? Those NPD figures already say "a lot". People who will use the console to download movies, subscribe to Gold, buy games that will bring royalties etc.

Moreover I'm sure if Kinect is really successful it will bring a lot more for customers. Remember the first video for Natal where the girl could choose how to dress ? Did you see what amateurs already do after a month with Kinect tools ? Noticed how you have a built-in cam in every computer today ?

How do you think all that will evolve in, let's say, three to five years ? New fields.

seady

The 360 probably top the DS as the biggest comeback ever in a console race with a relaunch.

The casual effect of the DS started in June 2005 with Nintendogs and Brain Age (along with hardcore-friendly titles like Mario Kart DS and many others), and the hardware pricedrop and revision (DS Lite) that immediately followed totally did a 180 and kill the PSP in one blow.

Now the 360 did similar things with the hardware revision (360 Slim) in summer, and then casual effect of the Kinect in November, along with an insane number of gift card and price drop deal (down from the already-low $200 4GB model) at retailers.

It's hard not to win the race. Both case give reason for existing userbase to upgrade, core gamers (without DS/360) to hop on the bandwagon, and casual gamers to get noticed of the product.

Tmac

Saint Gregory said:
Well, we finally know where Nintendo is getting their "No Wii successor until it hits 45 million" number from. Everybody out there that's on their 2nd or 3rd DS better rush out and pick up several Wiis ASAP.

The problem with Wii is that it's just too damm fine right now for a sucessor.

Nintendo still has room for at least 2 price drops to re-ignite demand before a sucessor comes out ($169 and $149). Sony and MS approach with move and kinect just buys nintendo more time.

The best strategy for them now is milk every drop as possible from Wii until hardware prices goes down enough for them to release a Wii 2 with "current gen" graphics but dirty cheap to make.

offshore said:
Anyone who was expecting a million on day one for GT in the US was frankly insane judging by past numbers.

Like was noted previously, GT4 did 600k on a much larger PS2 install base, and that released on a 22nd. So considering GT5 released on a smaller install base, and with a couple of days less on the market, 400k is actually a reasonable number to expect.

Don't get me wrong, I think it did great. I was just really surprised as it had no competition speaking from the exclusive side is all.

I did expect it to do better. Even with the small userbase hasn't it been proven that games are selling more this time around even with smaller userbases?

FrankT

bryehn said:
Holy shit, uDraw sold far, far better than I expected. Was hoping to grab it for $20 after X-Mas :lol

Yea, wasn't going to pay that price either, but may pick it up sometime.

Vinci said:

I think the $500 million thing is blown out of proportion. We have no idea where they are spending that money and for how long that marketing campaign will last. If they sale 5 million Kinect by year end with just 1 game attached to it on average it will have already become a billion dollar business and that is before all the other stuff they sell with the 360. I guess bottom line we should see it all in the figures when they post their quarterly results in January.

dionysus

Yaldog
Makes me happy that the biggest release of all time has a day and date PC version. I doubt Activision feels that the PC sku is cannibalizing its console versions. Maybe other publishers will notice this and stop delaying their PC SKUs 6 months. AssCreed being the obvious one on this month's NPD.

Tmac

seady said:
The 360 probably top the DS as the biggest comeback ever in a console race with a relaunch.

The casual effect of the DS started in June 2005 with Nintendogs and Brain Age (along with hardcore-friendly titles like Mario Kart DS and many others), and the hardware pricedrop and revision (DS Lite) that immediately followed totally did a 180 and kill the PSP in one blow.

Now the 360 did similar things with the hardware revision (360 Slim) in summer, and then casual effect of the Kinect in November, along with an insane number of gift card and price drop deal (down from the already-low $200 4GB model) at retailers.

It's hard not to win the race. Both case give reason for existing userbase to upgrade, core gamers (without DS/360) to hop on the bandwagon, and casual gamers to get noticed of the product.

Problem with 360 is that it's more a local matter. Slim didnt had the same impact on other markets.

seady said:

Whoa there cowboy. Comparing the 360 to DS makes a variety of pre-sales assumptions. I think you're getting wayyyyyyyyyy ahead of yourself.

Top Bottom