• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Penguin said:
Does that mean the uDraw sold about on par with the Move?

uDraw outsold the Move console bundles. But of course that doesn't take standalone unit sales and starter pack sales. Even so, that's still pretty funny :lol

Great to see that we actually got rough Kinect/Move bundle sales. Now if only we could get stand alone unit sales.

gregor7777 said:
Anyway, that kinnect # truly is unbelievable. Hopefully it leads to an investment in software development.

I always thought that it was software that sold the hardware. Guess I was wrong. But hey, as long as my 3DS sells (3D zomg!) and I get my next Layton fix I'm happy. Kudos to people who are having fun with Kinect, I was just venting as the advertisement campaign in the US went down very predictable route. It's like Nintendo E3 2008 again.

When MS first showed Natal at E3 I said "Microsoft didn't just win this E3, they just won this generation" and got a ton of shit for it in that E3 thread. Now here we are in the first holiday season since it came out and MS has the #1-selling system, the only one showing growth (and massive growth at that), outselling Wii, which has become stagnant, and straight-up BEASTING PS3 and the Move bundle.

VINDICATION!

Relix said:
I do remember more naysayers than not. GAF also underestimated the Wii at one point. And the DS.

I think its now a rule of thumb that if GAF says its gonna fail it will be a success.... :lol

Damn guess I missed a lot of threads because all I heard was how successful its going to be, at least compared to move. I'll go back and look through some old threads.

Threi

notag
Gary Whitta said:
When MS first showed Natal at E3 I said "Microsoft didn't just win this E3, they just won this generation" and got a ton of shit for it in that E3 thread. Now here we are in the first holiday season since it came out and it's the #1-selling system, the only one showing growth (and massive growth at that), outselling Wii, which has become stagnant, and straight-up BEASTING PS3 and the Move bundle.

VINDICATION!
:lol

take it easy there soldier

T Ghost

sillymonkey321 said:
Especially without any games that look fun to play and require buying extra controllers for multiplayer at an already higher price than a kinect bundle. Making Sports Champions look like a Home avatar reject game was a mistake, not having anything else to play on Move was the second mistake.

You just described what went through my mind when I placed the Move $99 bundle back at the shelf inside a BestBuy on Black Friday.

Vinci

Danish
Megadragon15 said:
Definitely not on GAF.

To be fair, the biggest prediction on GAF was that Kinect would sell very well out of the starting gate, but would fizzle after four to five months.

Gary Whitta said:
When MS first showed Natal at E3 I said "Microsoft didn't just win this E3, they just won this generation" and got a ton of shit for it in that E3 thread. Now here we are in the first holiday season since it came out and MS has the #1-selling system, the only one showing growth (and massive growth at that), outselling Wii, which has become stagnant, and straight-up BEASTING PS3 and the Move bundle.

VINDICATION!

I admit that MS is doing quite well, but 'won this generation' is a massive, massive overstatement.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

VINDICATION!

You hear that everyone? The war is over all in one month, in one country!

Lebron

Relix said:
Told ya guys Kinect was going to be a real success.
I think the goal has been moved to we all knew it would be big in the beginning, but it will phase out by next year!

Joking aside, I don't think Sony did all that bad with the Move. It just seems bad when comparing it to the Kinect's numbers. Whatever the case, Kinect is indeed a monster out of the gates, damn. Now give me SB so I can pilot a VT once again.

I think MANY people predicted that before launch
You didn't visit many Kinect threads pre-Fall then. A lot of crow has been served. Heck, even I thought it looked like crap, but I did think it would do decent sales. Then I played DC over Thanksgiving and saw the light. I hope they continue putting out some decent titles like that and Kinect Sports.

PSGames

Gary Whitta said:
YOWZA at that 5-to-1 Kinect/Move bundle ratio!

Ya know after being trolled constantly that I was a MS shill for liking Kinect. I feel a bit vindicated with these numbers.

urvzh7oyn.png

FoneBone

Gary Whitta said:

VINDICATION!
Yeah, it is way too early to call that one. Especially as Kinect's ability to maintain momentum longer-term is as yet unproven.

Vinci said:
To be fair, the biggest prediction on GAF was that Kinect would sell very well out of the starting gate, but would fizzle after four to five months.

I admit that MS is doing quite well, but 'won this generation' is a massive, massive overstatement.

Agree with the second sentence, but the first? Seems like (back around E3) most people thought it would bomb outright once we caught wind of the pricing (and I was one of them, so I'll eat crow there).

LegoDad

gregor7777 said:
Every single one? How many did you sell exactly?

We had 300 Kinect Bundles, all gone by 5pm. Then the 250gb/4gb started going with the free games on the stance they could replace their old console now and wait for kinect until it came back into stock. I noticed later in the day that a few were new console looker, but most went for the ps3 after told the differences between the two consoles and two motion controllers.

Owzers

T Ghost said:
You just described what went through my mind when I placed the Move $99 bundle back at the shelf inside a BestBuy on Black Friday.

I'm actually getting a Move bundle....i already bought every game i wanted this year so i had to get something for Christmas Xp. It's really scraping the bottom of the fun barrel though.

Gary Whitta said:

VINDICATION!
Really? Xbox 360 has outsold the Wii?

I think more data and another year at least is needed to form any conclusions there.

offshore said:
Just wow. Going for "precision" and "accuracy" doesn't seem too clever now, does it Sony...
I'm not relishing these Move numbers because I really don't have anything against it but I asked once in one the the Move threads what people thought it was going to bring to gaming since I really didn't feel that being more precise was necessarily going to make motion gaming more fun. I found that the few Wii sports games that used M+ to make them more realistic only served to remind me of how much I suck at their real llife counterparts. Of course I was flamed to to a crispy brown but I think these Kinect Vs. Move numbers kind of support my point.

offshore

Gary Whitta said:

VINDICATION!
Put a lid on it, Whitta :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
caliblue15 said:
The only thing I don't like about the numbers is how many were actually new customers, every single console I sold during black friday weekend was they wanted Kinect, but their console is this amount of years old, should I replace because of RROD...

It felt as Kinect was driving sales of Kinect, but people worried about their console dieing sold the console itself.

Here's the thing about that. I know you're right. I know you're being honest. I know plenty of 360 console owners are rebuyers. I'm not undermining you here. But:

The 360 has a great tie ratio. A really great tie ratio. Better than the PS3 or the Wii. Tie ratio is the number of pieces of software sold for each piece of hardware, and the 360's are top shelf both month-to-month and lifetime. This means that if a higher percentage of 360 buyers are repeat owners, we'd either expect the tie ratio to be lower (because someone who buys a second 360 doesn't also rebuy their whole library) or we'd say that it is artificially low, and the 360's actual active owner : software tie ratio is enormous, dwarving everything else ever made by a significant amount.

It seems likely that 360 owners buy a lot of software and unlikely that that they buy a totally mindboggling amount of software, so we have to assume that the repeat buyers are about normal.

One of the reasons here is that most people who rebuy a console trade their old one or sell it and then the person that buys that buys software. So most of your repeat buyers were also driving used sales and thus driving the install base, even if you didn't know they were.

Now, I'm not equating the 360's failure rate to any other console. In fact, let's pretend we're not talking about the 360 at all. Let's talk about the PS2. And now let's pretend no one's PS2 ever broke. Ever. Right? Still, a lot of those people replaced their fat PS2s with slim PS2s (or bought a second one and kept both), right? Sounds fair.

But in spite of this, we don't think of the PS2 as not "earning" all its sales, or of having a lower "actual" ownership number than the sales represent or any other claim like that. We basically accept that whatever the percentage of people who own two or break one and buy a new one or are otherwise rebuyers or upgrade or look for new colours or buy holiday bundles for collectors sake or whatever, it's not something that we actually worry about. We count the sales as honest and act as though the install base is the install base.

Hope this explains the conventional wisdom on rebuying.

Vinci

Danish
FoneBone said:
Agree with the second sentence, but the first? Seems like (back around E3) most people thought it would bomb outright once we caught wind of the pricing (and I was one of them, so I'll eat crow there).

Oh well. I figured it would do well at first and then fizzle out. So far it's doing better than I anticipated, so yeah, I was right and wrong - I underestimated its impact. Still think where Gary is going is pretty far out there though.

Owzers

FoneBone said:
So... which, if any upcoming Move titles could potentially be killer apps in the future?

If Sorcery had co-op and the Harry Potter license..........and if the Harry Potter license wasn't drove into the ground.....

FoneBone said:
So... which, if any upcoming Move titles could potentially be killer apps in the future?

Killzone 3, LBP2, Uncharted 3, will start the Great Sony Onslaught of 2011 and best experienced with a 46 inch FULLHD 1080P Bravia 240hz Television so you can play PS3 Computer Entertainment System Games at 240 Frames per second.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gary Whitta said:

VINDICATION!

By looking at the numbers and how close Wii/360 are, I think, if anything, one could credit Kinect with helping MS outsell the Wii this month which, without Kinect, probably wouldn't have been done.

That said, I remember your statement in that thread and the flak you took was for the ridiculous statement that they "won the generation." Rightfully so.

Boney

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

VINDICATION!
I think I better check my sarcasm detector.. I thought I was doing fine earlier.

LM4sure

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
I'm not relishing these Move numbers because I really don't have anything against it but I asked once in one the the Move threads what people thought it was going to bring to gaming since I really didn't feel that being more precise was necessarily going to make motion gaming more fun. I found that the few Wii sports games that used M+ to make them more realistic only served to remind me of how much I suck at their real llife counterparts. Of course I was flamed to to a crispy brown but I think these Kinect Vs. Move numbers kind of support my point.

Yeah, it wasn't a good sell. Playstation Move's value proposition was that it was a little better than the standard Wii remote and about equal to the motion plus remote. I think most people asked so what?

caliblue15 said:
every single console I sold during black friday weekend was they wanted Kinect, but their console is this amount of years old, should I replace because of RROD...

gregor7777 said:
Every single one? How many did you sell exactly?

caliblue15 said:
We had 300 Kinect Bundles, all gone by 5pm. Then the 250gb/4gb started going with the free games on the stance they could replace their old console now and wait for kinect until it came back into stock. I noticed later in the day that a few were new console looker, but most went for the ps3 after told the differences between the two consoles and two motion controllers.

So, to be clear, you are saying you sold nearly 300 Kinect bundles to people who directly told you they were replacing an old 360?

LM4sure

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:
Killzone 3, LBP2, Uncharted 3, will start the Great Sony Onslaught of 2011 and best experienced with a 46 inch FULLHD 1080P Bravia 240hz Television so you can play PS3 Computer Entertainment System Games at 240 Frames per second.

These won't be killer apps for the Move. The vast, vast, vast majority of people playing those games will NOT be using the Move controller. I for one will be using the standard PS3 controller to play these games.

FoneBone

Also, as has been said earlier, I actually think it's impressive that Wii's YOY decline is so low, given both Kinect and Move, and the continued weakness of third-party support.

LM4sure said:
These won't be killer apps for the Move. The vast, vast, vast majority of people playing those games will NOT be using the Move controller. I for one will be using the standard PS3 controller to play these games.
You need a better sarcasm detector.

Chrange

Banned
caliblue15 said:
Doesn't the 'our store sold a couple 360s but PS3 dominated' stuff usually happen BEFORE the numbers come out?

LegoDad

gregor7777 said:
So, to be clear, you are saying you sold nearly 300 Kinect bundles to people who directly told you they were replacing an old 360?

Yes. Extended protection plan was an easy sell alllllll day long, highest % ever. :D

Owzers

LM4sure said:

The very same games that were supposed to drive ps3 sales are now supposed to drive Move sales. At least we only need one "Wait Till" chalkboard now.

apana

uDraw is doing really well and selling at 70 dollars I think. I think the CEO said they may be sold out already since they are having a hard time producing it.

LegoDad

Chrange said:
Doesn't the 'our store sold a couple 360s but PS3 dominated' stuff usually happen BEFORE the numbers come out?

I was stating on how I thought most of the new sales were based off people wanting Kinect, but their old console was on the crapper, or they were scared of it dieing off.

So Kinect is popular, put in Dance Central and everyone wants it, but I don't think it technically drove new console sales.

Though this is only once store and a small sample, so maybe it's a total 180 everywhere else.

Kolgar

What an amazingly awesome NPD thread. Welcome back! :lol

And wow, it's finally happening. The competitive landscape in many industries often settles down into a duopoly, with two main market leaders followed by a distant third. It's taken a while for that to happen with this round of consoles, but now it seems that both Wii and 360 are beginning to leave a flagging PS3 behind.

In the beginning, Wii captured the imagination of the mass market while the two other consoles waged HD-peen battles to win a smaller hardcore audience.

Now, Microsoft has differentiated its platform with Kinect, a device that doesn't simply try to out-Wii the Wii, but imbues the 360 with its own kind of magic that's new and different and desirable. The result is, 360 is separating itself from the Special-Olympics slap-fest it had been fighting with Sony, and I expect it to enter a new phase of unprecedented growth for a Microsoft console (provided MS maintains a compelling stream of software, both for Kinect and core games).

PS3 appears to be in serious trouble now in America. As Steve Race, one-time president of Sony America, said of Trip Hawkins' 3DO platform just prior to the launch of the original PlayStation, "If it smells like dead fish, it's probably dead fish."

I've noticed a faint odor about the platform for a while, but with this NPD, I think I've got my first real whiff of something seriously bad.

FoneBone said:
Also, as has been said earlier, I actually think it's impressive that Wii's YOY decline is so low, given both Kinect and Move, and the continued weakness of third-party support.

That's the thing. Wii is the original "motion" machine. It owns that position in people's minds, so it's not going anywhere for a while. That's in part where Move fails and Kinect succeeds. Move is an expensive copycat while Kinect, like Wii before it, captures the imagination with something new. It's different enough to carve out its own space without cutting much into Nintendo's--something that's very hard to do to a market leader.

evangd007

Gary Whitta said:

VINDICATION!

This generation will end before MS gets close to closing the ~8 million gap between it and the Wii.

The shaky launch of GT5, promising sales of Donkey Kong and absolute deluge of CoD:BLOPS was insane. I was blown away by the fact that Call of Duty managed to just barely beat EA's total game sales for the year. The crazy part is that it was nearly matched by the fantastic 360 sales and horrible PS3 sales.

On the hardware side...I'd say that we're in for a really long generation if the kinect has long legs. Microsoft just saw easy profits and Sony found a reason to slow their roll. Nintendo can stay the course if they're not too worried about the Wii and want to secure a massive 3DS launch.

Thanks to the mods for keeping the thread interesting. You guys have done an awesome job at keeping the NPD threads alive and well. All we need now are Sonic, Mickey and Goldeneye numbers and I'll call it a day.

Lebron

FoneBone said:
I don't think killer app, but that Sorcery game didn't look bad during E3. I don't think they've shown any KZ3 being played with Move vids have they, yet?

caliblue15 said:
Yes. Extended protection plan was an easy sell alllllll day long, highest % ever. :D

With anecdotal evidence that strong I think we should allow the "it's only selling well because of RRoD" argument to come off the ban list.

That's insanity. Is your store in an old coal mine of something?

RedStep

caliblue15 said:

So, assuming you spent 60 seconds asking every one of them whether they had a 360 (and receiving a response), you wasted 5 hours of your day asking an irrelevant question of every single buyer?

shinnn

Lion Heart said:
Damn guess I missed a lot of threads because all I heard was how successful its going to be, at least compared to move. I'll go back and look through some old threads.
looks like you missed all the Kinect threads :lol

Vinci

Danish
RedStep said:
So, assuming you spent 60 seconds asking every one of them whether they had a 360 (and receiving a response), you wasted 5 hours of your day asking an irrelevant question to every single buyer?

Well, you know, quantitatively he wanted to be thorough.

tzare

considering US is MS biggest market, and this is the best selling month of the season, and it was the month Kinect launched, i really doubt that those 2,5 million sold are real.
I mean, 700k kinect bundles, plus standalone kinect in the country that has aprox half of the 360s sold in the world....

tzare said:
considering US is MS biggest market, and this is the best selling month of the season, and it was the month Kinect launched, i really doubt that those 2,5 million sold are real.
I mean, 700k kinect bundles, plus standalone kinect in the country that has aprox half of the 360s sold in the world....
And now we have a doubting Thomas.

mujun

Lion Heart said:

You serious? Pretty much every Kinect thread prior to it's release devolved into gifs showing how much lag or inaccuracy there is.

To clarify I'm not defending the lag and inaccuracy, there is some (a lot in some cases) and you need to be able to look past it if you want to have fun but so far it's a success at least in terms of sales and mindshare (hate to use this word).

PSGames

tzare said:

They sold 1.5Million Kinects in the US. Europe should easily account for another Million.

Top Bottom