• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

CoD drops further. I don't hate the franchise but honestly I'd like for it to decline a fair bit so things can shake up a bunch in the FPS category. Let new IPs break-in and move away from the ADS-centric gameplay to some sort of new hotness.

You're assuming Acti will actually let any of their trifecta take a risk on a new IP...

Their new IP investment so far seems to be "let someone else make that new IP ( like Bungie!), our studios will be CoD factories!"

FZZ

Banned
I can't believe people thought Smash would spur a sales spike for the Wii U when Mario Kart couldn't. Now you have people kidding themselves again and moving the goalposts to games like Splatoon, X and Zelda.

There will be a price drop next year for sure, as to whether it does more than what Smash did this year is dependent on if they make a bundle with Smash or Kart that's readily available. Not saying it's gonna start doing 300k+ but another 5% increase next November wouldn't be too shocking, especially considering how low its already selling.

I'd love to know if they're even making a profit on each console sold at the moment.

From what I'm seeing DDR3 isn't getting any cheaper and is actually starting to increase in costs

televator

Sony seems like they got drop kicked off the top rope if that pie chart is accurate. They should still have the lead as far as install base, no? They should maybe recoup and think up a strategy before they eventually lose that.

Now is not the time for funny gifs, now is a time for reflection. A time for Sony to re-evaluate their approach to the market. To fight now would be fruitless, they must adapt, they must evolve, they must....upgrade to face the new challenges that lay ahead of them.

The road may be bloody, the lion they face at the end may be fierce and born of a jackal, but Sony must endure for it is their destiny to take back the throne and instil order.

But where does the dragon fit in?

No, PS4 was sold at a slight loss at first, something like 20 USD iirc.
Xbone is definitely sold at a loss now, especially taking into consideration the value of the bundled software.

I think the breakdown also showed the XB1 (without Kinect) costing more to manufacture than the PS4 because of memory choice. So the One is definitely losing money. And you wonder how much 3rd parties have MS by the balls when making deals for pack-in software too.

The combination of the early cboat post and the creamsugar correction has made this one of the best NPS threads in the long.

The before/after reactions are hilarious.

Well done MS, now keep that momentum going into next year.

Wii U is done.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Would somebody provide a link to the Titanfall thread and the argument between CBOAT and ntkrnl referred to in this thread? Thanks.

I tried a search but too many results are coming back. What was it all about?

I'd love to know if they're even making a profit on each console sold at the moment.

From what I'm seeing DDR3 isn't getting any cheaper and is actually starting to increase in costs

PS4's making a profit atm. Sony/Kaz Hirai commented on it in the beginning of the year (it's already profitable at a hardware level ), and a large bulks of their quarterly profits in the past 2 quarters are all hardware, not software.

liger05

Wii u sales blow and it seems like in the UK Nintendo are not being very aggressive with their marketing for the wii u but not surprised. The wii u is a dead platform, why spend a fortune on marketing and advertising when it won't really change much?

Ride out the generation the most cost effective way possible and try and move on from this disaster as soon possible.

Occam

If we assume Microsoft lost $50 USD (which is probably on the low end) per console sold (including the cost of bundled software), then November cost them $60 million in the USA alone.

bombshell

Sony seems like they got drop kicked off the top rope if that pie chart is accurate. They should still have the lead as far as install base, no? They should maybe recoup and think up a strategy before they eventually lose that.

Yeah, they were over 1M in front in the US before November so still comfortably in the lead, but the gap has become narrower.

Worldwide there's no contest.

EatMyFace

Banned
The good thing about Sony is that they have a lot of cards to play. Microsoft had already played all of theirs.

Be fair. The console is up like 37%-ish to last year.

That is exactly what you'd call "raising sales" - it would have been much worse without mario kart. So yea smash could have done more but stil up double digits to last year this month

Shows just how badly the platform is doing.

Shit sales that for any other platform would mean dead and buried still warrant the term "raising".

Still the most alarming aspect is those software sales. Hardware sales are to be expected for the platform. But these software numbers are becoming a consistent trend. Big game release nearly all software sales are consolidated to that one title, and then dreadful until the next release.

quetz67

Banned
Is 700k + 800k bundled reasonable for Unity?

If they can ship some 4-5M worldwide this year that would probably mean they finally kiss cross gen goodbye?!

I'm kind of surprised and somewhat pleased with that top 10 other than Dragon Age bombing.

Eh....it kind of reaffirms my feelings that I am becoming less and less interested in the mainstream AAA console game market. No offense, I have heard good things about the new CoD, but man even Ghosts couldn't Tony Hawk the franchise. GTAV at no. 2? Another remaster. And two games completely broken at launch. Oh and DI not even charting.

Saty

Again, DAI is doing fine: best debut for the franchise to date. Also, digital is way more a factor now than ever so if you add 20% on top, you're looking at a very comfortable margin over the first two games: being 11th for the month where you've been dormant for years and everything else is either an annual sequel or remake all while increasing your sales, hard to see anything bad there

If i remember correctly, DA2's launch was better than DA:O's but the last time we had LTD shipments for both, the original game was higher or the same. So we will see about DA:I's legs. And there's always the question whether the better launch makes up for the longer development time and being on 5 platforms.

vesvci

Banned
If we assume Microsoft lost $50 USD (which is probably on the low end) per console sold (including the cost of bundled software), then November cost them $60 million in the USA alone.

Don't forget the free games added to the already existing bundles. I'd say MS literally bought the November NPD. Eh, they do have deep enough pockets.

mugwhump

MS is hungry, no doubt about it. But will they maintain the price drop?

And damn no dragon age? Guess DA2 caught up with them.
I look forward to the same thing happening with the next Asscreed
edit: or not.

GamerJM

Banned
Shows just how badly the platform is doing.

Shit sales that for any other platform would mean dead and buried still warrant the term "raising".

Still the most alarming aspect is those software sales. Hardware sales are to be expected for the platform. But these software numbers are becoming a consistent trend. Big game release nearly all software sales are consolidated to that one title, and then dreadful until the next release.

I don't think this is really that awful or surprising relative to the hardware sales and what's happening though. Nintendo's not doing any price cuts on games or hardware which really limits the legs of Wii U games, since most potential new buyers are just buying the console for recently released games (since there's no other incentive to pick one up now vs. in the past), and people who didn't pick up older titles have no incentive to do so now vs. when they came out. Anything other than big name releases isn't going to very sell well at all considering how small the Wii U's install base is. There's also the fact that aside from a handful of games like the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2, the smaller release lineup consists of shovelware like Sonic Boom, or the occasional multiplat which is inevitably going to be mostly purchased on competing platforms.

Interesting. I remeber reading some german articles about sony raising a very small profit with every PS4. I wonder what is true.

Marketing/Logistics/etc do add to COGs per unit. It's not all about how much it cost to manufacture, but the dollar invested per console from a marketing standpoint.

At launch, there was a bit of a loss, which is apparently recouped back with a purchase of one game and PS+.

Currently, it's profitable at a hardware level.

Occam

Don't forget the free games added to the already existing bundles. I'd say MS literally bought the November NPD. Eh, they do have deep enough pockets.

Yeah, it's probably closer to $100 million. I wonder how much they lost globally due to Xbone sales in November.

sw3QYxO.gif
Awesome

Sucks for Dragon Age 3 :(

I guess Dragon Age 4 will be once again dumbed down and full of shitty Blink 182/ Linkin Park rock songs :(

PRESS A FOR AWESOME: THE SEQUEL

Corto

MS is hungry, no doubt about it. But will they maintain the price drop?

And damn no dragon age? Guess DA2 caught up with them.
I look forward to the same thing happening with the next Asscreed

They need to maintain the price, the only way they would change it would be to decrease it further and that won't happen so soon.

well, last time i checked i only saw cboat's info, so i was quite shocked. now with creamsugars pie it all makes more sense. spectacular result for microsoft. congrats. december might be theirs, too. but it's a very hard paid victory. xbox became cannon fodder.
i do not know if they can keep this policy. and if they don't, or, lord have mercy, ps4 cuts the price, too, 2015 might become a long and painful year for ms.
but for instance: enjoy you victory, spencer, and let the pr dogs loose.

Top Bottom