• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Drac84

Wanna bet you won't get it back?

kleJ2jJ.gif

nib95

Banned
I don't give a shit if it's your favorite game of all time, honestly, because my comment wasn't even about quality.

It's an abhorrent TOMB RAIDER game that destroyed a true original for checklist game design nonsense that I could play in thirty five other games every year.

They could have called it RETURN OF THE LADY WARRIOR and gave it no relation to Tomb Raider and no one would have gave a shit. They made their bed, now as an OG TR fan I have a right to dance in the fuckin' rain over seeing it crash and burn. As it is my only shot at ever seeing a return to the glory days of what the franchise was always about. This shouldn't bother you one bit.

I'm not really sure if this is true. Yes it has elements that are basically Uncharted clone minus the flamboyance, characters and acting, but it does bring it's own semi open world, hunting, crafting and collecting dynamic, that is sort of a fusion of Uncharted, Gears, Assassin's Creed and The Last of Us. In other words, yes parts of it are pretty common or generic, but as a whole, combining all the different elements, I personally feel it's still relatively unique.

I mean, it's fine to prefer the design and direction of past Tomb Raider games (which to be fair also starting to decline in terms of both quality and sales), but I'm not sure some of your complaints in this post are entirely fair.

watdaeff4

Yeah, but if early reports are to be believed, PS4 may have increased its lead over XB1 in the US by 200,000 or more! That is HUGE. Can't wait to see where this thread goes as far as extrapolating the numbers and inevitable leaks....

I'm honestly surprised it was that close. I had predicted that PS4 would sell ~400k more than XB1 given the price parity and all the sales for preorders for the STar Wars and CoD bundles pooled in.

Good month for all 3 consoles tbh

I don't give a shit if it's your favorite game of all time, honestly, because my comment wasn't even about quality.

It's an abhorrent TOMB RAIDER game that destroyed a true original for checklist game design nonsense that I could play in thirty five other games every year.

They could have called it RETURN OF THE LADY WARRIOR and gave it no relation to Tomb Raider and no one would have gave a shit. They made their bed, now as an OG TR fan I have a right to dance in the fuckin' rain over seeing it crash and burn. As it is my only shot at ever seeing a return to the glory days of what the franchise was always about. This shouldn't bother you one bit.

It didn't destroy anything, they game as you would like it was dead at that point.

Elios83

I don't know why people think Tomb Raider would have been some runaway success if it were on PS4. The game still probably wouldn't have charted or just barely. No one was dying for a Tomb Raider, especially one releasing smack dab in the midst of Fallout 4, Battlefront, and Black Ops 3. Release window killed it more than exclusivity.

Ironically on the contrary considering how things went with the Uncharted delay, if Tomb Raider had been released this holiday season it would have been huge on PS4, it would have been the perfect fit for a huge crowd of fans of the action adventure genre starved by the Uncharted delay and the lack of other games in the same genre.
Also TR is a big brand on Playstation.
The Uncharted delay made this deal a total nonsense for all the parts involved.

ethomaz

Banned
While I agree with @Amir0x about these new TR not being TR anymore and just a try to make Uncharted clones.

No way... any good game deserves low sales.

And that is pure SE fault.

VinFTW

While I agree with @Amir0x about these new TR not being TR anymore and just a try to make Uncharted clones.

No way... any good game deserves low sales.

And that is pure SE fault.

Exactly. You really gotta feel for CD on this one. It's suchhhhh a great game.

Yikes, there's a unique opinion. I hope the thing you like fails miserably because it's different from what I like. There will be no "OG return to glory" my brotha. Only indies today get made in that vain.

Probably because many couldn't see what was going on (haha).

But no, the game has hype. It was one of the most popular series introduced last gen. How the game will do in comparison to previous Gears games is a different story though. I would expect it to do better than Judgment at least.
I'm expecting Gears to become bigger than Halo from now on. Probably crazy for thinking that, but anything could happen.

Edit: Dammit I hate this Trump avatar. It's gonna be a long month.

Amir0x

Banned
It's your right to not like it, but to say you're happy it bombed is pretty harsh. I personally loved ROTR and like the direction the series is going.
To wish a game bombs seems a bit childish and selfish.

Nobody seemed to give a shit when this fucked up company was retrofitting the only franchise that played the way OG TR did into some me-too garbage. Now I'm supposed to care that this shit crashes and burns and be all gentle and shit to its fans? Ya'll are funny.
-
100% understand and agree with you. TR 1-4 on PS1 are best TR games for me. I hated later iterations on PS2/360/PS4, there are nothing like OG TR games.

Yup. Just as it is people's right to enjoy this abomination that replaced the true original franchise, it is my right to be gleeful that I have at least a slightly higher percentage chance of seeing a return to what actually made the series great.

Because no matter how much nonsense people want to fling at me for being so blunt about this truth, the reality is they can't actually argue against it: TR 2013 and RotTR are absolutely not even the tiniest shred like the old TR games, they destroyed any hint of skill requirement, any hint of genuine exploration and discovery and challenge with more of the same goddamned shit I can find in twenty other games I pick at randomly from the "AAA" crowd. It is not what made the series great, not even a trace. There is no viable way to argue these two things are the same. And that's the problem: destroyed an original for yet another lockstep AAA title. So hey, I got no problem if anyone loves this "AAA" disaster; it is simply my right to be very happy to see what I believe to be two atrocious games maybe finally give its company pause in the form of bad sales.

People really think they have a right to live in a Nirvana free from people hating the shit they love or something and saying it out loud. It's hilarious.

...Scatter... said:
Yikes, there's a unique opinion.

It's not even a tiny bit unique in the Tomb Raider community.

harSon

Banned
I feel like people are making these comments about Rise of the Tomb Raider having only experienced the original reboot. Because ROTR is a pretty decent marriage of some of the elements that were cool about the originals with the modern 3rd person shooter game mechanics that the series shifted to with the reboots.

FuturusX

I am so happy Tomb Raider bombed. Thank you gaming Gods. Please destroy the reboot series forever so that I may have a chance of getting it developed by some company that actually understands what the goddamned franchise is about.

Big ass grin.

tumblr_m1v76ri1un1qguai4.gif

Well, people seem genuinely happy Tomb Raider bombed, and things didn't work out well for people who spent years of their lives working on a fantastic game. Nice thread.

Some people have been against the reboot series since the first game. People get super passionate about their favourite IP's, you know? Kind of similar to how people were wanting DmC to bomb. Sprinkle some console wars into the mix and... it's not pretty.

Even if you're not happy with the direction the Tomb Raider series has gone, there is a classy way to approach this. "Hopefully they move Tomb Raider in a direction closer to the originals" or something is a bit more reasonable then cheering loudly when the game bombs. Damn.

VinFTW

Nobody seemed to give a shit when this fucked up company was retrofitting the only franchise that played the way OG TR did into some me-too garbage. Now I'm supposed to care that this shit crashes and burns and be all gentle and shit to its fans? Ya'll are funny.
-

Yup. Just as it is people's right to enjoy this abomination that replaced the true original franchise, it is my right to be gleeful that I have at least a slightly higher percentage chance of seeing a return to what actually made the series great.

Because no matter how much nonsense people want to fling at me for being so blunt about this truth, the reality is they can't actually argue against it: TR 2013 and RotTR are absolutely not even the tiniest shred like the old TR games, they destroyed any hint of skill requirement, any hint of genuine exploration and discovery and challenge with more of the same goddamned shit I can find in twenty other games I pick at randomly from the "AAA" crowd. So hey, I got no problem if anyone loves this "AAA" disaster; it is simply my right to be very happy to see what I believe to be two atrocious games maybe finally give its company pause in the form of bad sales.

People really think they have a right to live in a Nirvana free from people hating the shit they love or something and saying it out loud. It's hilarious.

It's not even a tiny bit unique in the Tomb Raider community.

Wow, just, wow lol

I'm out y'all.

Grats again to Sony and MS. Extreeemely please with the state of the industry. Sony injected this industry with some serious life. Hoping MS's next console can be nearly as good as the 360/PS2/PS3/PS4 so we can really see what this industry can do.

Kyoufu

I would rather have an IP live on in some form than none at all. TR with its original formula would not survive in the market today.

So that being said, you're being ridiculous Amir0x. It's your right to not like where the IP is at today but wishing it complete failure is pretty pathetic. You're not getting what you long for, so move on.

Probably because many couldn't see what was going on (haha).

But no, the game has hype. It was one of the most popular series introduced last gen. How the game will do in comparison to previous Gears games is a different story though. I would expect it to do better than Judgment at least.

I dunno, man, I'm sure Gears fans are excited simply because it's a Gears game but I don't really think that extends outside of that group at all. Other than the name, there hasn't really been anything worth getting hyped over.

Not to say I think it'll bomb, I'm sure it'll do better than Judgement, but bigger than Halo? Nah, I think allan-bh is dreaming if he thinks that's happening.

kswiston

Missed the first bit of this thread and don't have 1-2 hours to read 1700 posts. Did we get any software number estimates besides Tomb Raider?

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm expecting Gears to become bigger than Halo from now on. Probably crazy for thinking that, but anything could happen.

It's possible. The series is darker/more mature, younger (so feels more fresh), and hasn't had a recent "MCC-like" situation.

If MS sets up Gears 4 to release in September or early October then I can definitely see it having a chance at doing better than Halo 5 did.

harSon

Banned
Yeah, I'm not a fan of "X may be a good game in general, but it's not a good X game" arguments. You're basically saying that a title change alone is enough to swing the game from being shit to awesome, which is pretty stupid.

Raylan

Banned
Some people have been against the reboot series since the first game. People get super passionate about their favourite IP's, you know? Kind of similar to how people were wanting DmC to bomb. Sprinkle some console wars into the mix and... it's not pretty.

Even if you're not happy with the direction the Tomb Raider series has gone, there is a classy way to approach this. "Hopefully they move Tomb Raider in a direction closer to the originals" or something is a bit more reasonable then cheering loudly when the game bombs. Damn.
It's way worse than the DMC story. DMC "only" changed the design of the main character. But somehow, it was still a DMC game. The new Tomb Raider games are Uncharted clones imho. As a big fan of the first Tomb Raider games (PSOne), I fucking hate the new games and the new Lara Croft design. And the exclusive deal takes the cake.

You obviously DO care it crashed and burned as you said that exact thing in a previous post.

Amir0x

Banned
You obviously DO care it crashed and burned as you said that exact thing in a previous post.

No, I mean I'm supposed to care that other people don't want to see it crash and burn. I don't, and they certainly didn't care as this company was destroying any shred of OG TR for this. I mean, I respect they can like it, and my hating it doesn't detract from that.

I actually like Tomb Raider series when it was Tomb Raider, and they want Tomb Raider when it is not Tomb Raider. That's fine, but there's nothing wrong with being happy about seeing what you feel is a terrible direction for a beloved series bomb.

I would rather have an IP live on in some form than none at all. TR with its original formula would not survive in the market today.

So that being said, you're being ridiculous Amir0x. It's your right to not like where the IP is at today but wishing it complete failure is pretty pathetic. You're not getting what you long for, so move on.

I call bullshit on that. You only have to look at Souls games to see there is a market for any type of game, if the quality is right.

And that market will grow.

If somebody makes a real tomb raider game that doesn't suck and it bombs, we can talk. For now publishers are just taking the safest possible action option and it looks like people are finally getting tired of it.

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
I'll help contribute when it hits PS4, but even at 299 I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a One. Had I played Gears and Halo last gen, maybe I'd be more inclined but I haven't and all the negativity surrounding each franchise makes me sad.

I hear you. I unenthusiastically bought a 'Bone last Christmas as a gift to my son who is a big Halo fan and the bundled game was MCC. Obviously no need to elaborate on the state that the MCC was in at that time. To make things even more bitterly ironic, my son freaking HATES Halo 5. The lack of couch co-op didn't help. Needless to say I did pretty poorly with my gift.

Anyway, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a very good game, but I can't say it's good enough to get an Xbox One for on its own. Plus I suspect that when Rise hits the PS4, it's going to have all the DLC included.

Top Bottom