• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

I wish Sony and (to a lesser extent) Nintendo would stop being cowards. Sony won't release their PS3 and PSP numbers and Nintendo won't release their Wii numbers (but did release their DS numbers).

antonz

clashfan said:
this is based on what?
The Nintendo Holiday effect that Nintendo has every year around the holidays. I dont think we will see the kind of holiday that we saw last year. Nintendo set a brand new record for sales last year.

fernoca

Gadfly said:
Yes, this doesn't compute. Unless Sony's numbers are shipped and not sold -and- there is a big delta between Moves shipped and Moves sold.
Sony's number were shipped. Patcher is apparently talking sold (as least sold as far as NPD covers in sales) and he said he expected sales for September to be 300k; but the number was never confirmed.

Gadfly said:
Yes, this doesn't compute. Unless Sony's numbers are shipped and not sold -and- there is a big delta between Moves shipped and Moves sold.

It was 1 million Move controllers shipped to NA + Latin America. Pachter estimated 300,000 sold in the US a few days before Sony released their shipped figure.
I don't think we ever found out if the Nav controllers or whatever count as Move sales.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410878

FrankT

Megadragon15 said:
I wish Sony and (to a lesser extent) Nintendo would stop being cowards. Sony won't release their PS3 and PSP numbers and Nintendo won't release their Wii numbers (but did release their DS numbers).

Yea, would be nice, but this maybe the new norm. At least we have it to a range with PS3 less than 250k and Wii somewhere above 204k, but less than 325k.

Kandinsky said:
Are you serious?:lol

Is DKCR expected to push numbers (and systems) like NSMBWii? It's the middle of November and Just Dance 2 is currently the biggest piece of Holiday Wii software in the US, UK, and on Amazon.

GarthVaderUK said:
It was 1 million Move controllers shipped to NA + Latin America. Pachter estimated 300,000 sold in the US a few days before Sony released their shipped figure.
I don't think we ever found out if the Nav controllers or whatever count as Move sales.

If Move is < 1600 MSP card again, there's no way it sold 1 million in two months on this continent.

Mindlog

GarthVaderUK said:

Further:
We expect Sony’s U.S. sales to be around 1.2 million Move units by the end of GameStop’s January quarter, evenly split between standalone Move units at $100 and Move console bundles at $400; we anticipate international sales of 1.8 million units, also evenly split at the same price points."

Standalone Move controllers appear to be unaccounted for in those figures. It would be an interesting twist if we're actually getting Eyetoy numbers.

Megadragon15 said:

Why does it even matter? How is "PS3 - under 250k" really any different than "PS3 - 235k" or whatever the actual number may be. NPD gives you a basic idea of what sold. I don't really see what is so wrong with the new NPD stuff. You still get all the info.

And why would Sony or Nintendo officially state their disappointing numbers? It's all a PR game.

Owzers

Synth_floyd said:
Why does it even matter? How is "PS3 - under 250k" really any different than "PS3 - 235k" or whatever the actual number may be. NPD gives you a basic idea of what sold. I don't really see what is so wrong with the new NPD stuff. You still get all the info.

And why would Sony or Nintendo officially state their disappointing numbers? It's all a PR game.

Perspective i guess. It used to be a PR game based around the facts. Now it's just pretending there are no facts.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Megadragon15 said:
You should expect any company that does well to release their numbers to public. I am sure once MS numbers go down we will not see them releasing their numbers either.

fernoca

Mindlog said:
Standalone Move controllers appear to be unaccounted for in those figures. It would be an interesting twist if we're actually getting Eyetoy numbers.
I think is a matter of wording.
He says "standalone Move controllers" and then follows that with $100, when the $100 controller is a bundle.

Gadfly said:
You should expect any company that does well to release their numbers to public. I am sure once MS numbers go down we will not see them releasing their numbers either.
Yes and on that day, I will call them cowards, too.

Mrbob

Return of the King saved 2K basketball.

Michael-Jordan.jpg

Nice New Vegas as well. :D Well above Fallout 3 first month!

Xenon

Poor MS, they are finally getting a decent monthly lead and now the other two don't want to play the sales game anymore. =(

FrankT

Mrbob said:
Return of the King saved 2K basketball.

Michael-Jordan.jpg

Nice New Vegas as well. :D Well above Fallout 3 first month!

Though like Fable relatively speaking it's likely about the same pace on the latter. 5 days at 375k for 360 versus 12 days at 679k.

Actually it is a bit stronger with the case for Fallout with this in Nov 08;

12.Fallout 3 (X360) - [184k - 297k]

Should do decent in Nov as well I think.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Mindlog said:
Further:

From revenue point of view, they matter. From the point of view of how big a market Move is, they may not. The same way that selling extra controllers for 360 and PS3 does not matter and nobody cares about that.

Nevertheless I will not be surprised if Sony lumped these together.

Owzers

This is definitely Microsoft's best chance to upset Nintendo for top holiday sales. I'm still very interested to see how Epic Mickey sells...or if it's even going to be a good game.

sillymonkey321 said:
Perspective i guess. It used to be a PR game based around the facts. Now it's just pretending there are no facts.

I'd say it's quite apt. This trend has been around in politics for a while. It's only natural that it would spread to other arenas like games.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Posted yet?
PlayStation 3 has been building up tremendous momentum heading into the peak holiday season and we're seeing strong movement at retail for both hardware and software. PlayStation 3 software sales were incredibly strong in October and PS3 was the only platform that had growth in the software over September, to the tune of nearly 50%. With next week's launch of the industry's most anticipated title, Gran Turismo 5, we're sure to carry the momentum through the holidays. In addition, PlayStation Move continues to perform incredibly well. The PS3 Move Bundle had a 15% increase in sales since launch last month, and we're working hard to keep the inventory up across the country to meet strong consumer demand. We continue to add great Move software from both our World Wide Studios group and our publishing partners with titles across all genres for everyone in the family including SingStar Dance, The Sly Collection, The Fight: Lights Out, Time Crisis: Razing Storm, Toy Story 3, MAG and NBA 2K11. With the growing content and services options for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Network, including recently added Hulu Plus and NHL GameCenter, as well as the pending launch of Vudu on PS3, we're constantly adding additional value to the hardware and consumers are responding to the continuing proof that It Only Does Everything.
I don't get it. Why didn't Xbox 360 software grow month over month? *rolls eyes*

antonz

So they saw a 15% increase in move bundle sales yet were flat for increase in hardware sales. So based on that move is not driving demand for the PS3

Xbox 360 sales with the new models, plus Kinect hype, ought to be fantastic in November and December. I'm excited to see how things go! :)

Owzers

"PS3 was the only platform that had growth in the software over September,"

I do love a good PR statement. :lol :lol :lol

And 360 probably didn't grow month over month because Halo Reach came out in September for huge numbers. It's basically Sony's way of pretending to have a victory by ignoring context.

Subitai

Good to see the market is big enough for Fallout and Fable to do well!

Big drop for Reach is a little disappointing, but I guess it means a lot people were waiting for Black Ops.

jett

D-Member
Sadly, Castlevania ended up being la bomba. I guess that's it for further CV games from MercurySteam.

jvm said:
Posted yet?

I don't get it. Why didn't Xbox 360 software grow month over month? *rolls eyes*

September and halo reach says hi, i dont think there were any software releases on 360 in october that come anywhere near reach numbers so it wouldnt see a growth month on month. Nintendo must be worried about the wii at this point, sales are slowing down all around the world now and i cant see anything in the pipeline like a halo reach or a gt5 type system seller on the way. I really think they need a refresh of the box maybe to hd and a price drop soon.

fernoca

Yoboman said:
There are lots of PS3 games in the top 10
There were 6 Xbox 360 games in the Top 10 and 4 in the Top 5. Leaving 4 positions for "lots of PS3 games in the Top 10"?
(Individual charts)

Sydle

a Master Ninja said:
With Bayonetta doing just okay, Madworld underperforming, and Vanquish straight up bombing, how fucked is Platinum Games?

Ugh, they're so talented though...oh just the idea of them being shutdown...makes me sadface. :(

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Yoboman said:
There are lots of PS3 games in the top 10

If you uncombine the chart into individual SKUs it probably looks like this:

360: 5 games (top 4)
PS3: 3 games
Wii: 1 game

1 unknown. Which I would guess is the 360 version of Force Unleashed. No way to know yet.

FrankT

supermackem said:
September and halo reach says hi,.

Pretty sure that was the whole point of rolling of eyes..

and we're working hard to keep the inventory up across the country to meet strong consumer demand

Really now...

antonz said:
So they saw a 15% increase in move bundle sales yet were flat for increase in hardware sales. So based on that move is not driving demand for the PS3

It's not flat it's down YoY and/or month over month though it is 5 to 4 weeks, but down on the weekly average as well. 320k Oct 2009 versus less than 250k Oct 2010. 312k for Sept 2010 at 5 weeks.

Top Bottom