• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

AniHawk

just tray said:
My thoughts on NPD since now I can no longer browse a thread watch people argue over numbers. Just my thoughts and opinions so take them as that.

Wow NBA2K did better than Madden. Which shows quality with a monopoly can produce results. So er maybe I can get the Madden game I've always wanted. I mean We only have been asking since 2005.

Halo Reach? How dare they not market one of the top five exclusives for any system this year? Easily second or best FPS depending on who you ask.The years not over get with it!

Lol just thought of something. Kinect is so good that quietly Microsoft has four different sku's at retail with no plans to cancel any. Smart move. But eventually they will cancel out the kinect-less versions. That and Kinect isn't being sold at a loss,so it may come with a price cut. Microsoft is in a position to counter anything from a Sony or Nintendo price cut

Nintendo DS- Nintendo doesn't need the Wii. They will support it but the 3DS is their most revolutionary console to date. They can eat off of Wii sales and DS sales.

Move- Sony so anti Microsoft that they cant see that the real fight is them and Nintendo. Both have portable game systems, both have (in the eyes of the public) similiar motion controls.Both online services do not generate the revenue that xbox live generates.Move won't pass Kinect.But great initial sales.

Kinect IS the most innovative hardware product this gen. Just have to beware of the incoming bombardment of shitty games.

Why bet against the best launch lineup of any motion control device?

Sony and Nintendo will never catch Microsoft again. Not this gen.

Fallout New Vegas? Still have to play Fallout 3. Its in my backlog.But what I have played of Fallout 3 I know its going to be great.

did this really just happen

Cygnus X-1

Wow. Incredibly bad numbers all around for an october month. X360 and DS the only decent ones, but anyway this is so depressing.

Mael

just tray said:
My thoughts on NPD since now I can no longer browse a thread watch people argue over numbers. Just my thoughts and opinions so take them as that.

Wow NBA2K did better than Madden. Which shows quality with a monopoly can produce results. So er maybe I can get the Madden game I've always wanted. I mean We only have been asking since 2005.

Halo Reach? How dare they not market one of the top five exclusives for any system this year? Easily second or best FPS depending on who you ask.The years not over get with it!

Lol just thought of something. Kinect is so good that quietly Microsoft has four different sku's at retail with no plans to cancel any. Smart move. But eventually they will cancel out the kinect-less versions. That and Kinect isn't being sold at a loss,so it may come with a price cut. Microsoft is in a position to counter anything from a Sony or Nintendo price cut

Nintendo DS- Nintendo doesn't need the Wii. They will support it but the 3DS is their most revolutionary console to date. They can eat off of Wii sales and DS sales.

Move- Sony so anti Microsoft that they cant see that the real fight is them and Nintendo. Both have portable game systems, both have (in the eyes of the public) similiar motion controls.Both online services do not generate the revenue that xbox live generates.Move won't pass Kinect.But great initial sales.

Kinect IS the most innovative hardware product this gen. Just have to beware of the incoming bombardment of shitty games.

Fallout New Vegas? Still have to play Fallout 3. Its in my backlog.But what I have played of Fallout 3 I know its going to be great.

7/10 or I didn't know that Gaf was so global that it reached Bizarro world too.

Animator

just tray said:

Posts like this is why I come to Gaf everyday.

AniHawk said:
awesome. this is where i'm a viking!

that means i'm just really good at dreaming
Damn Simpsons jokes.

All I had in my back pocket was a tasteless rape joke. And that's no way to counter a Ralph Wigginism.

Mojojo

just tray said:

I must be the only one who think Kinect will be the Xmas 2010 fad and plummet in 2011 ..

When was the Red Wii bundle announced? could it have impacted Wii hardware sales in October?

Sipowicz

Banned
the kinect does have a really good lineup though compared to the move. there's the panzer dragoon game and the steel battalion games

there was also some survival horror that sounded cool iirc.

AniHawk

Mojojo said:
I must be the only one who think Kinect will be the Xmas 2010 fad and plummet in 2011 ..

When was the Red Wii bundle announced? could it have impacted Wii hardware sales in October?

Its announcement probably wouldn't have had any impact in America, unlike Japan.

farnham

Banned
Mojojo said:

wii colors helped wii in japan

not so much in NA though

actually the wii started falling apart after wii black launched

AniHawk

Thunder Monkey said:
Damn Simpsons jokes.

All I had in my back pocket was a tasteless rape joke. And that's no way to counter a Ralph Wigginism.

i didn't think you would get a simpsons reference... but i guess ralph wiggum is too well known even for people who don't watch the show.

the other thing i would have mentioned was something about a unicorn.

AniHawk said:
i didn't think you would get a simpsons reference... but i guess ralph wiggum is too well known even for people who don't watch the show.

the other thing i would have mentioned was something about a unicorn.
I get Simpons jokes to about season 8.

That's when I went from liking the show to vehemently hating it. Those first eight years though were great TV.

just tray

Banned
farnham said:
you think another pricedrop (99 dollars) or games like Wii sports 3 or NSMBWii 2 wont help them sell more then 360 ?

Nope. People want High tech stuff. The Wii is not high tech in the eyes of the public. Both slim models under the hood can do things that the Wii can't do. There will never be 3D or HD for the Wii. Out the box you have online, renting and purchasing movies, far superior online gaming, a better catalog of downloadable games

Initially it would see a spike in sales, maybe even a small increase over PS3 and 360 (similar to how when the PS3 slim was released) Thats a best case scenario for Nintendo. More realistic scenario is the 360 pulls away and the Wii and PS3 duke it out for second place.Next year will be 2011 which means better motion control games for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is in a really tough spot. They may have to push that button and launch a new console. I doubt it though

just tray said:
Nope. People want High tech stuff. The Wii is not high tech in the eyes of the public. Both slim models under the hood can do things that the Wii can't do. There will never be 3D or HD for the Wii. Out the box you have online, renting and purchasing movies, far superior online gaming, a better catalog of downloadable games

Initially it would see a spike in sales, maybe even a small increase over PS3 and 360 (similar to how when the PS3 slim was released) Thats a best case scenario for Nintendo. More realistic scenario is the 360 pulls away and the Wii and PS3 duke it out for second place.Next year will be 2011 which means better motion control games for Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is in a really tough spot. They may have to push that button and launch a new console. I doubt it though
If you're serious... the 360 would have to outsell the Wii by 5 million units the next two years just to catch up to it. And that's just in America. I don't see how it ever could the world over.

Mael

just tray said:

Holy shit you're for real?

AniHawk

Thunder Monkey said:
I get Simpons jokes to about season 8.

That's when I went from liking the show to vehemently hating it. Those first eight years though were great TV.

oh, see, i thought you hated all of the show.

just tray

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
If you're serious... the 360 would have to outsell the Wii by 5 million units the next two years just to catch up to it. And that's just in America. I don't see how it ever could the world over.

More like 3-4 dependent on how long this gen lasts.How long did it take the Wii to surpass the 360?

just tray

Banned
Mojojo said:

Its not for everyone. i love it but love my controller better.Its not a fad.

Mael

just tray said:
More like 3-4 dependent on how long this gen lasts.How long did it take the Wii to surpass the 360?

You do realize that Wii was doing something like 800k in April for the release of Wiifit?
and less than 400k was considered a very_bad_month_wii_is_doomed?
I mean you actually see 360 doing for the next 4 years :lol

AniHawk

just tray said:

No, he means outsell them by 5 million each year for the next two years. Not 5 million total.

just tray said:

Are you aware of how much further the Wii is in front of everyone else? I don't think you are.

just tray

Banned
confuziz said:
Only by about 30 million :lol

Wii came out in 2006 and its going on 2011 so five years? Kinect has Microsoft money, Microsoft advertising, and third parties already make a killing off of Microsoft.The last time a third party wii game was in the top ten was......

You can figure out the rest.

farnham

Banned
confuziz said:
Only by about 30 million :lol
pfft with the newly gained momentum of the 360? easy peasy

just tray said:
Wii came out in 2006 and its going on 2011 so five years? Kinect has Microsoft money, Microsoft advertising, and third parties already make a killing off of Microsoft.The last time a third party wii game was in the top ten was......

this month ?

Mael

just tray said:

Is this 2007 again with goal post moving points?

Can someone better at sales age tell how much time it'll take for 360 to catch at this rate?
Seriously this is looking like the posting version of the 360's Sony Defense Force.

just tray said:

This month?

Edit: Beaten...

Mael said:
Is this 2007 again with goal post moving points?

Can someone better at sales age tell how much time it'll take for 360 to catch at this rate?
Seriously this is looking like the posting version of the 360's Sony Defense Force.
Eight years at it's current margin.

Granted we haven't seen what the current market does in holiday months yet.

just tray said:
No goal posts lol. Wii is no longer the only casual system out there.And not close to being the most advanced
But you do see where we are coming from right?

For it to leave the Wii in the dust it first has to catch up to it.

confuziz

Banned
just tray said:

Oh come on, you aren't actually serious about this right?

Please tell me you aren't. Hardware sales have already peaked everywhere and Microsoft isn't going to change that either. Sure it can sell more than the wii in the upcoming years, but never ever is it going to get to that 30 million lead of the wii.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The scary thing is there will be more and more just trays with the current state of sales info. It might be time to start praying.

just tray

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
But you do see where we are coming from right?

For it to leave the Wii in the dust it first has to catch up to it.

Yeah I see what you are saying. Im saying best case it catches it in three worst case four.

Keep in mind that the 360 has four sku's. They pretty much have two for hardcore gaming and casual. In a way you can say they are selling to two different demographics

Mael

just tray said:
No goal posts lol. Wii is no longer the only casual system out there.And not close to being the most advanced

But you ARE moving the goal post, it's 2007 all over again.
I mean you were talking about the sales of Kinect or 360 and then BAM it's about Wii 3rd party sales all of a sudden when people made you realize how fucking ridiculous your position was.
If you intend to shill for Kinect I could care less, but at least be subtle.

just tray said:

Explain how PS3 was in last for so long then please.

just tray

Banned
Mael said:
But you ARE moving the goal post, it's 2007 all over again.
I mean you were talking about the sales of Kinect or 360 and then BAM it's about Wii 3rd party sales all of a sudden when people made you realize how fucking ridiculous your position was.
If you intend to shill for Kinect I could care less, but at least be subtle.

Im just offering my opinion but since my opinion doesnt agree with yours you say mine is ridiculous.When did I say I was talking about sales of Kinect alone? Cant have a Kinect without a 360 (duh!)Some people will buy 360 for kinect, some will for its games.What goal posts have I moved?Theres a lot of variables to the equation.

just tray said:
CHEAP high tech stuff. 600 dollars? c'mon be real Sony!!That was just ludicrous.
What!? "cheap"?......Lets use the iPhone here. Is it popular because it's hi tech or because of the software? Why would someone with a Wii, invest in a 360 or PS3 for motion controls when the big mover has always been the software. Software which they can already enjoy on their Wii's?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
At this point even second place is not guaranteed for 360. It will not be a "distant third" as some analysts (and gaffers) predicted, but the chances of them being a "close third" by the time everything is said and done is high. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I am sure they did not expect to be this close when this generation started.

But keep dreaming.

Top Bottom