• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Fdkn

It's a bit strange seeing the answers to my post outside the forum lol

Activision has ridiculous expectations for Destiny. It's the most expensive game ever for a reason

You can't compare Destiny to the first COD. Activision was very different back in 2003.

That's fair. What are the lifetime sales of CoD4:MW? That was the boom. And how many units did it sell in 2 months?

I think its also fair to point out that the game has sold more on current gen than on last gen consoles and that the install base of current gen combined is not that big yet.

The point she is making is that Destiny was billed by their CEO to investors as the next COD (15-20 million selling property).

I did not achieve that; hence, their reluctancy on sharing their sales.

Destiny is still one hell of a success nonetheless, expensive, but profitable; very important in today's market conditions - but it is not what was promised.

I always took it as a long term projection. Those leaked contracts of Destiny's budget were always talking about a 10 year plan

if he or Activision investors seriously expected to sell like CoD at its peak from the get go, they were delusional

i wouldn't mind starting a GAF fund for lonedigitalwolf so that he/ she has a PS4 and some games. if he/ she really has a medical issue and cant afford the console of their choice then lets help.

mods/ GAF is there a way we can set this up?

Quoting for next page

This is an amazing gesture

allan-bh

That's fair. What are the lifetime sales of CoD4:MW? That was the boom. And how many units did it sell in 2 months?

I don't know LTD, but in the first 2 months sold 4 million (Just 360 and PS3), and the 2 months are november and december.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'd have to hear the argument for a Destiny comparison to Call of Duty. At first and second glance, I'm just not seeing it.

Welfare

Why do you think the PS4 is doing so well?

Because it's the better product in most people's eyes. It offers better looking games for the money in a less bulky package and it has more first party and indie support. The Xbox One is still the same product. The only difference is they removed a key differentiating peripheral in order to bring the price down to the same level as the PS4. Now people get to buy a weaker system for the same price with no major feature to set it apart. How is that progress? It's still being shithoused overall in sales.

The $349 price is nice, but Microsoft's investors can't be too happy about that since it's it probably not making much (if any) profit per sale compared to $399. It's a desperation move and it will be interesting™ to see how it turns out.
I know this. I was questioning the op who was saying that MS didn't deserve success only because of pre-launch blunders.

I'd have to hear the argument for a Destiny comparison to Call of Duty. At first and second glance, I'm just not seeing it.

Well, CoD started off as a title only available on the PC, and Destiny started off as a title only unavailable on the PC, so they're pretty similar. Only 2 letters different.

Fdkn

Destiny's 10 year plan doesn't just mean COD-esque sales by the 10th year. It's a growth strategy dreamed up by Kotick to satiate investors.

Not by the 10th of course, but not by the 1st.

I don't have a crystall ball so this is all speculation of course, I'm just inclined to think that Destiny 2 will sell more than the first.

I don't know LTD, but in the first 2 months sold 4 million (Just 360 and PS3), and the 2 months are november and december.

Destiny is not that far from that... in Sept+October.

But Destiny has also 4 platforms so even if last gen is less active, it still counts.

We'll have to wait to see how it performs on the holydays for a more accurate analysis

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
This guy gets it.

When PS2 was dominating the console market, we were arguably introduced to many of the greatest games of all time.

Competition is good for retail stores, yet seems to be the opposite in the games industry.
The strange thing is, so long as there have been three or more consoles on the market, one of them completely blows past the competition. PS1, PS2, and Wii were tens of millions of units ahead of competing platforms while they were still the main focus (more like a 100 million unit difference for PS2). It is hard to say that would happen this time without getting 20m units sold in Japan, but PS4 has the trajectory to be a clear leader globally.

The last time things were really neck and neck was 20 years ago - SNES vs. Genesis. I think since then, the average consumer has not been able to reconcile the total cost of ownership for three platforms and decides to consolidate their spending around one. PS2/XBOX/GC was a lot more palatable for people buying multiple systems ($550 for the three as of E3 2002) and even then it did not happen very much. With what the systems cost now ($950 total if the Wii U were a refurb) and the multiple online subscription costs and the torrent of DLC... seems inevitable that certain platforms and franchises would get the consumer dollars. Trying to have a hand in everything is a lot more expensive than it used be, and I think a lot of people have lost interest in even attempting to.

allan-bh

The point she is making is that Destiny was billed by their CEO to investors as the next COD (15-20 million selling property).

This is kinda crazy, but I believe will hit or even surpass 10 million, which is amazing for a new IP.

For Destiny 2 if they play the cards right, CoD-like sales can happen.

Not by the 10th of course, but not by the 1st.

I don't have a crystall ball so this is all speculation of course, I'm just inclined to think that Destiny 2 will sell more than the first.

Destiny is not that far from that... in Sept+October.

But Destiny has also 4 platforms so even if last gen is less active, it still counts.

We'll have to wait to see how it performs on the holydays for a more accurate analysis

I kinda expect Destiny 2 to sell better as well. Mainly because Bungie now knows they will have to bring it and the lead up to that release is probably the only time they will tacitly admit to the major shortcomings of the first release as they tout new features and improvements for the sequel. It should generate tons of hype.

The strange thing is, so long as there have been three or more consoles on the market, one of them completely blows past the competition. PS1, PS2, and Wii were tens of millions of units ahead of competing platforms while they were still the main focus (more like a 100 million unit difference for PS2). It is hard to say that would happen this time without getting 20m units sold in Japan, but PS4 has the trajectory to be a clear leader globally.

dude, Wii is less than 20 million ahead of both PS3 and 360, and that gap is still shrinking

also it's really weird seeing Aquamarine replying on Twitter and having to go back and forth :p

It blows my mind how aggressive Microsoft has been with XB1. This push only benefits us as a consumer. Sony is upping their game as well even though they have a sizeable lead. I feel bad for their Day One audience though. The dropping of Kinect and 2+ games for sub $400 USD/CAD is unbelievable.

It blows my mind how aggressive Microsoft has been with XB1. This push only benefits us as a consumer. Sony is upping their game as well even though they have a sizeable lead. I feel bad for their Day One audience though. The dropping of Kinect and 2+ games for sub $400 USD/CAD is unbelievable.

No reason to feel bad. That's the price early adopters know they will pay.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
This is kinda crazy, but I believe will hit or even surpass 10 million, which is amazing for a new IP.

For Destiny 2 if they play the cards right, CoD-like sales can happen.

I certainly think 10 million is achievable for Destiny - add maybe a million more for an eventual PC release.

Destiny 2 is where I am left puzzled. Currently, I don't see Destiny 2 being as much as a success as its first iteration, but if they play their cards right like you said, one might be surprised.

Huge success in the end for Activision; another billion-dollar property in their IP pool.

Fdkn

Honestly, Destiny done correctly should never need a Destiny 2, only expansion packs to flesh it out.

I find that line of thinking pointless (I don't want to be rude, can't find a better word) when the initial plans always talked about 3 sequels already.

The WoWesque model works because of the subscriptions.

stryke

I find that line of thinking pointless (I don't want to be rude, can't find a better word) when the initial plans always talked about 3 sequels already.

Do we know what "Comet" is?

I originally thought it would be an expansion but then what how does that differ to, say, the DLC coming next month.

I originally thought it would be an expansion but then what how does that differ to, say, the DLC coming next month.

No one knows for sure. It was in the leaked contract but it could have been re-written over the last couple years. There was no mention of the first 2 expansions so we are already in grey area. They could be "comet" or we are due for a Major expansion holiday 2015 that has yet to be announced.

Ursiform

Banned
I honestly think part of the mess that the console industry has got itself into is MS throwing money around and distorting expectations of AAA budgets versus expected revenues.
So no, competition isn't always good for the consumer. Particularly long term, and particularly where "competition" is measured in using money to muscle your way into a market, not on things like improving business practices or customer satisfaction.

This guy gets it.

When PS2 was dominating the console market, we were arguably introduced to many of the greatest games of all time.

Competition is good for retail stores, yet seems to be the opposite in the games industry.

I almost pity you guys for having to live through the shameful continued existence of the Xbox brand.

Game Guru

The last time things were really neck and neck was 20 years ago - SNES vs. Genesis. I think since then, the average consumer has not been able to reconcile the total cost of ownership for three platforms and decides to consolidate their spending around one. PS2/XBOX/GC was a lot more palatable for people buying multiple systems ($550 for the three as of E3 2002) and even then it did not happen very much. With what the systems cost now ($950 total if the Wii U were a refurb) and the multiple online subscription costs and the torrent of DLC... seems inevitable that certain platforms and franchises would get the consumer dollars. Trying to have a hand in everything is a lot more expensive than it used be, and I think a lot of people have lost interest in even attempting to.

Actually, the only reason why SNES and Genesis were so close is because each one had one of the two biggest territories. For the longest time, Genesis was vastly more popular in North America while the Super Famicom was vastly more popular in Japan leading to a quasi-stalemate in world sales until Sega began their swan dive into irrelevancy and Nintendo delayed the launch of the Nintendo 64 by two years. This is actually a similar scenario that happened between 360 and PS3 in that 360 was vastly more popular in North America while PS3 was vastly more popular in Europe only that it did not have a console like Wii becoming the surprise hit of the generation and winning US, Japan, and Europe. Every other generation had one console win the two largest territories for gaming at the very least... NES/Famicom won both US and Japan, PS1 won both US and Japan, PS2 won US, Japan, and Europe, and PS4 is poised to win US and Europe. Even the Atari 2600 was the winner by far of its generation beating out both ColecoVision and Intellivision by a factor of 10:1.

I've always believed that last generation was very unusual compared to how typical console generations go because Wii, 360, and PS3 sales ended up being so close. This generation is merely a return of how console generations usually go. PS4 is going to be the winner by far as the PS2, the PS1, the NES, and the Atari 2600 had been, and not a very close victory like the SNES and Wii obtained.

It's nothing to do with subscriptions, its about being an online multiplayer persistent world.

The only reason a sequel (ie a global character reboot) should be needed is:
- outdated technology that needs improving - does Destiny really have this?
- nowhere left to go narratively or geographically - is that where Destiny is at?
- broken or heavily abused core mechanics that need to be rebuilt from the ground up not rebalanced - is that a fair assessment of Destiny?

Everything that Destiny is and the complaints aimed at it are exactly the same as for a fledgling MMO; lack of variety in content, and no real end game.

EDIT:
I almost pity you guys for having to live through the shameful continued existence of the Xbox brand.

So which part of that statement rustled your jimmies? That consoles are having trouble, or that a mega-corporation dropping boulder sized moneybags in a pond causes ripples?

Well the timing on it was supposed to be one year later between sequels. My guess it they will announce at E3 and it will add new planet, a new set of story missions taking place on all five planets, a bunch of PvP maps with new modes plus custom matches, and a level cap raise from 35 to 45. Maybe add space combat. 40USD, and 60 gets you the base game as well. September 2015. They will add more cut scenes to flesh out the story and will put the Moon Wizard line back in. Destiny 2 in 2016 with character reset.

EGOMON

what hole?

The one you people keep trying to dig for me?

I already apologized to Harker.

You people keep trying to find hate where there was none.

I'm sorry that users in this forum drove aquamarine away. Now for the love of god, leave me out of your witch hunts.

I made the mistake of not writing as cutesy as possible to not harm the delicate feelings of the people after Harker's numbers. I honestly meant no harm. Yet in almost every page after the damn post I have people constantly poking me and acting as backseat moderators.

Zeph you should just ignore them, Harker already said its all good
Don't let it annoy you and ruin your mood, misunderstanding in the internet happen all the time, so let them be brother and enjoy your day.

Ursiform

Banned
So which part of that statement rustled your jimmies?

None? I thought the naked subtext might as well be spelled out though.

That consoles are having trouble, or that a mega-corporation dropping boulder sized moneybags in a pond causes ripples?

fZDntBu.jpg

To be clear, are we talking about VIV, TWX, GME, MSFT, AAPL, AMZN, VIA, EA, TTWO, NTDOY, FB, PEP, or SNE here?

EGOMON

i wouldn't mind starting a GAF fund for lonedigitalwolf so that he/ she has a PS4 and some games. if he/ she really has a medical issue and cant afford the console of their choice then lets help.

mods/ GAF is there a way we can set this up?

I am in
I have the same feelings as he toward Playstation i only owned Sony's consoles since i first time played PS1 and to this day i only buy their consoles i would feel really bad if i couldn't afford one so i would love to help a fellow avid PS fan.

To be clear, are we talking about VIV, TWX, GME, MSFT, AAPL, AMZN, VIA, EA, TTWO, NTDOY, FB, PEP, or SNE here?

Which of those companies routinely spent hundreds of millions on securing exclusives, or had things like a half a billion dollar marketing budget for a peripheral?
Or were prepared to soak up a greater than $3 billion loss on their entry hardware?

I mean, do you actually have any rebuttal points about huge platform owner investments not altering production budget expectations?

Ursiform

Banned
Which of those companies routinely spent hundreds of millions on securing exclusives, or had things like a half a billion dollar marketing budget for a peripheral?
Or were prepared to soak up a greater than $3 billion loss on their entry hardware?

I mean, do you actually have any rebuttal points about huge platform owner investments not altering production budget expectations?

Meanwhile, at Naughty Dog...

V5Ob4MT.jpg

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I honestly think part of the mess that the console industry has got itself into is MS throwing money around and distorting expectations of AAA budgets versus expected revenues.
So no, competition isn't always good for the consumer. Particularly long term, and particularly where "competition" is measured in using money to muscle your way into a market, not on things like improving business practices or customer satisfaction.

I like this way of thinking. Buying times exclusivity. Forcing smaller developers to launch date parity and constantly thinking of new ways to exploit (not monotize) the consumer is Microsoft's way of running this business. If they can't sucees they just take a loss at the entry price.

Hello Rock Band.

There is too much money in new discs, sorry.

I'm not sure that's a valid comparison, because finishing career mode is not really analogous to the sort of time investment a game like Destiny requires.
Would people honestly be happy with a Destiny 2 where any time spent developing their character and acquiring the loot and customisations that makes up the core gameplay loop is literally time wasted as they get to reroll their main in the sequel?

Meanwhile, at Naughty Dog...

So your rebuttal is SonyToo?

Okay.

The uncharted series is another example of market distorting subsidies, not a counter argument.

Ursiform

Banned
Nope.

But they have a warchest and they're not going to stop battling. Not so long as the division exists. They've got more leeway to spend than their major competitor.

Competition is always good for the consumer though, so fight on I say.

It seems so long ago that you were laser focused and not tangent...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
To reply to Aqua, even with the DS, I always felt the best games were Japanese on that to begin with. I'm probably part of the problem in that sense.

Also, I don't think Satya will axe the xbox division. When you have loss leaders like Bing around, the Xbox is nowhere near that... yet

So where do folks see the Just Dance, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity audience going? I guess it's too early to tell before the holidays, but at the very least, Just Dance seems to be declining and stuck on Wii at the very least. Skylanders generally stuck on 360/Wii for now and Disney dropped the Wii version. I guess Harker said the Wii and Wii U sales of Skylanders weren't that different (10K), but it makes you wonder whether it'll sell well during the holidays or not.

It seems so long ago that you were laser focused and not tangent...

Your point is either too subtle, or too shit to comprehend.

Companies having vast warchests they spend distorts market expectations.
The bigger the warchest the bigger the distortion.
MS have spent more than any other company and have therefore distorted the market more than any other company.
That doesn't mean other companies haven't also distorted the market in lesser ways.

Do you actually have a rebuttal to any of that, or am I wasting my time attempting to understand whatever it is you are attempting to convey?

Your point is either too subtle, or too shit to comprehend.

Companies having vast warchests they spend distorts market expectations.
The bigger the warchest the bigger the distortion.
MS have spent more than any other company and have therefore distorted the market more than any other company.
That doesn't mean other companies haven't also distorted the market in lesser ways.

Do you actually have a rebuttal to any of that, or am I wasting my time attempting to understand whatever it is you are attempting to convey?

I'm not understanding your point, the market was always gonna move in this direction, just like movies have.

I'm not understanding your point, the market was always gonna move in this direction, just like movies have.

AAA games compete primarily on production budgets (which literally equates to money spent), not on things like gameplay innovation (which can't be budgeted for).

A platform owner subsidising a AAA title - whether directly through moneyhats, or indirectly like picking up the marketing tab or reducing their platform fee - indirectly raises the cost of all other AAA producers to compete in that space.

Top Bottom