• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

RyanDG said:
I'm curious... Any reason why no Dune? If you like the genres enough to have the rest of the books on the top 10 that seems to be a very odd omission.

Just never got around to it. I'll get it sooner or later.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
macuser1of5 said:
No Wizard of Earthsea? :(

Left Hand and Dispossessed are on there (I would actually reverse the two in ranking though), but yeah it's a bit of a shame. The Farthest Shore (Earthsea 3) is pretty much my favorite novel of all time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mr. Serious Business said:
I'm not arguing the series' quality, just that if this is a popularity contest (which it obviously is given the off placements), Harry Potter should've cracked the Top 100.
Agreed. Let us remember that the Sword of fucking Truth made this list. If its sheer popularity then Harry Potter should have been like....number two.

rainking187 said:
If they do it needs to be way lower on the list. The vast majority of the series is utter shit.
To be fair, most of the series' on there have that problem. Dune, Wheel of Time, Foundation, I would even argue the last book of Hitchikers....actually any series that goes beyond three books seems like it turns to shit.

The_Technomancer said:
Eh, I dunno. I'm two books into ASOIF and its great so far, but Martin has some serious pacing issues. I still rank Card in his heyday as one of the best sci-fi authors the century has seen.

Well, I mean Martin has alot more to cover than just some pre-pubescent kids bouncing around in an anti gravity chamber.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
brianjones said:
is this feast for crows?

god reading it now so fucking boring

Nope I was referring to a dance with dragons so brace yourself for an even more disappointing and boring sequel riddled with structural issues.

The Technomancer

wiggins022 said:
Well, I mean Martin has alot more to cover than just some pre-pubescent kids bouncing around in an anti gravity chamber.
If that's all you get out of Ender's Game or Speaker for the Dead then you're missing the point of both books.
There are authors like Martin who can create fantastic characters as well, but I've still yet to find another sci-fi or fantasy author who captures personal relationships and communities like Card. And to be fair, that's not really the focus of something like ASoIaF.

iamblades

sk3 said:
I wonder why US/UK dominate these genres so much. There is a lot of good fiction in other languages but not much in the way of sci-fi.

There is some decent Russian/Ukrainian sci fi, and pretty much every language has it's own type of 'fantasy', it's just not the traditional western fantasy setting that is based on anglo-french and norse mythologies.

Sci fi requires a certain cultural/society wide interest in space travel and advanced technology that isn't all that important to many nations who have historically been more concerned with things lower on the hierarchy of needs.

The_Technomancer said:
I'm also really surprised not to see Speaker for the Dead on here. A much better book then Ender's Game, IMO. EG would have made my top twenty or so, Speaker the top five.

Speaker is FAR better than Game, but I guess Ender's Game is just more accessible, easier read and more 'action packed'

Ender's Game is top 25, but Speaker for the Dead is top 10 material

and Once and Future King way down low? that's top 10 material, easily.

Gramercy.1

Neo Member
hmmmm, ASOT was recommended to me by a coworker, so I bought the first three books to read after ASOIAF. It seems now that that might have been a mistake from some of the post ine here. I was surprised to see that I've read about a fifth of these books/series.

Divvy said:
I've never understood logic of combining the sci fi and fantasy genres.

bam

spaceships & lasers & relativity & inertial compensators

=

magic / elves / medieval armor / bows & swords???

I like both genres, but still

X26

Banned
18. The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

edit:gah nevermind, see it's a poll makes sense now. Rothfuss planted positive reviews on amazon so I guess it makes sense he would be sad enough to ballot stuff a random poll

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Yobalt said:
Where the fuck is the Hobbit.

They haven't done the children's list yet.

Troll face

JordanLMiller said:
All is right in the world.

Consequently, was also voted the No. 1 most helpful remedy for Insomnia.

Farseer needs to be higher. I was going to vote but couldn't be bothered.

i_am_ben said:
Nope I was referring to a dance with dragons so brace yourself for an even more disappointing and boring sequel riddled with structural issues.
This is a minority opinion, for what it's worth.

gravitybear said:
bam

spaceships & lasers & relativity & inertial compensators

=

magic / elves / medieval armor / bows & swords???

I like both genres, but still

BAM

both deal with settings that are not quite real, yet are not myth.

JDAWGZZZ said:
They took Harry Potter off for being a "kids" book. Otherwise, I bet it would have given LOTR a run for number 1.

I re-read the article and now it's clear. Then again, if Ender's Game isn't a "young adult" novel, I don't know what is.

List rankings are serious business.

Pau

macuser1of5 said:
No Wizard of Earthsea? :(
Came to post this. Ursula K. LeGuin's fantasy books are some of the few fantasy novels that actually feel like old folktales or legends that have survived through the ages. Definitely my favorite fantasy series, along with Discworld.

Glad to see The Last Unicorn. Absolutely beautiful book that most people will look over thinking it's simply a children's novel.

The Technomancer

Pau said:
Came to post this. Ursula K. LeGuin's fantasy books are some of the few fantasy novels that actually feel like old folktales or legends that have survived through the ages. Definitely my favorite fantasy series, along with Discworld.
Absolutely agreed, even if I didn't mention it earlier. That "legendary" aspect about them is something that I don't really think I've seen anyone else capture very well.

Chris R

The_Technomancer said:
I'm also really surprised not to see Speaker for the Dead on here. A much better book then Ender's Game, IMO. EG would have made my top twenty or so, Speaker the top five.
That is the thing that I find strange about the list. It lists plenty 'series' but for some reason it only lists Ender's Game? The 'Ender' saga should be on the list, but probably not as high as it is.

Gigglepoo

Some books strike me as really out of place. Orwell shouldn't be included at all. Neither should Watchmen, Time Travelers Wife, or Wicked.

Gigglepoo said:
Some books strike me as really out of place. Orwell shouldn't be included at all. Neither should Watchmen, Time Travelers Wife, or Wicked.
Why not Watchmen? It's a fascinating work of sci-fi/fantasy.

Home

I cannot believe that there aren't atleast 100 books/series better than the Sword of Truth series. I say this as someone who read every damn book too.

I guess it's just a fan poll, but still. :(

Yobalt

Gigglepoo said:
How is 1984 not fantasy?

ZephyrFate said:
Amazon.com is hardly a bastion of noteworthy opinions. The critics absolutely love them.

fair enough.. just saying the last 2 books dont seem quite as beloved as the first 3

im cool with the idea of there being something special to FFC and DWD that the average joe doesn't get but so far it's been a struggle for me.

Mindlog

Not a bad list. Plenty of safe picks.

my but...
74. Old Man's War, by John Scalzi
I am going to have to re-read this book. I don't understand why it's so popular. It's a neat poorly executed concept. The writing is on par with video game adaptations.

Cyrillus

Foundation Trilogy should be higher, but that's a minor point to argue. Pretty solid top 10, all bets are off after that. Also weird that the John Carter of Mars books aren't on there. While I don't really like the books that much, from what I understand they're pretty highly-acclaimed.

Dead Man

Divvy said:
I've never understood logic of combining the sci fi and fantasy genres.
They often deal with similar themes, and books often cross genres to some degree. Also, they are the 'Otherworlds' type of fiction, where all the other fiction is set in the current or historical world.

X26

Banned
sad omissions: Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, Gentleman Bastards series

certainly a lot better than a lot of what's on that list

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Disappointed but not surprised that The Acts Of Caine Series by Matthew Woodring Stover didn't make it.

Revelation Space didn't even make it? That's some bullshit.

At least The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson got on there even if it's way too low.

Dead Man

The total lack of Julian May makes me a bit sad. Not in the top 50 for sure, but better than the Wheel of Time series. Good to see Stephenson get in there, and Dan Simmons, and the Mars Trilogy by KSR.

Dead Man said:
The total lack of Julian May makes me a bit sad. Not in the top 50 for sure, but better than the Wheel of Time series. Good to see Stephenson get in there, and Dan Simmons, and the Mars Trilogy by KSR.
The Hyperion Cantos deserves to be in the top 10.

The_Technomancer said:
Wait...how the hell is Kingkiller at #18? Its not even finished yet! And the books are nowhere near the caliber of the best of the titles on the list.

Also IMO Perdido shouldn't be on there. And from what I've heard, Sword of Truth shouldn't be either.

Bullshit.

It should be much higher, if anything.

MUCH HIGHER.

New Crobuzon is one of the best cities developed in the fantasy genre.

ZephyrFate said:
OH my god this. Who the hell thought Orson Scott Card could write something even half as compelling as ASOS/AFFC/ADWD? And I LIKE the Ender's Game series.

I agree with this quote as well.

iammeiam

It's interesting to see that Pratchett got to be on the list twice, instead of all lumped under Discworld, while the wildly uneven Xanth series shares a slot. And then only Dragonflight of the original Pern trilogy gets called out...

It's not a bad list (glad to know the rest of the planet loves Small Gods as much as I do), but I wish they were more consistent about ranking series together or separately.

Tapiozona

Banned
Lord of the Rings is too high. It's obviously riding the movie success. Great books sure, but best all time? Not even remotely close. The story is rather blah if you really think about it. ASOIAF is far far better plot/character development and actually has real plot twists.

I'd move Hyperion up much higher as well. First book was a masterpeice and the second was fantastic in its own right. (I'd say 3rd and 4th too but I'd loose a lot of credibility by doing so).

Pau

The_Technomancer said:
Absolutely agreed, even if I didn't mention it earlier. That "legendary" aspect about them is something that I don't really think I've seen anyone else capture very well.
LeGuin is definitely a master of her craft, which makes it a bit sad that her fantasy contributions aren't included on the list. It's definitely not the same, but the closet anyone has ever come, for me at least, has been Diana Wynne Jones in her Dalemark Quartet, especiallyThe Spellcoats. I think she's the only author who has made "realistic" fictional legends in the sense that there are contradictory sources/stories, multiple names for the same god depending on region, etc. All that weird stuff you find in real mythology.

Diana should dominate the Young Adult list when they make it, but considering how hard it is to find her stuff in a bookstore nowadays I'm afraid not enough people would have read her novels. I still can't believe she won't be writing anymore. :(

Tapiozona said:
Lord of the Rings is too high. It's obviously riding the movie success. Great books sure, but best all time? Not even remotely close. The story is rather blah if you really think about it. ASOIAF is far far better plot/character development and actually has real plot twists.

I'd move Hyperion up much higher as well. First book was a masterpeice and the second was fantastic in its own right. (I'd say 3rd and 4th too but I'd loose a lot of credibility by doing so).
Nah you wouldn't. Go for it. Endymion and The Rise of Endymion are incredible books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom