• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Wollan

Dawn of War 2 isn't really that great. The hud is on a different layer than the chars which is nice but the polygonal landscape and chars doesn't really benefit from the Stereo. WarCraft 3 is infinitely better for the table-top-come-to-life feel. I own S.T.A.L.K.E.R but unfortunately that cd is in another town right now.

I will download the Company of Heroes demo.

Edit: Downloading CoH: Opposing Fronts demo now as it's the only one listed.

2nd Edit: Garbage demo sites not offering torrent downloads, DAP is also unable to resume lost connections.

Zabojnik

So just to be completly clear - if I get these nVidia glasses, I should be able to use them perfectly in 3D cinemas as well, right? Is it exactly the same thing?

Also, Wollan, tell us more about the eye strain / headaches problems. If you've experienced any, after how long ... Because beside the 'dark screen' negative comments (which I understand isn't a problem on a PC monitor, where you can adjust the brightness / contrast), that's what most 3D cinema goers keep complaining about.

Wollan

Zabojnik said:
So just to be completly clear - if I get these nVidia glasses, I should be able to use them perfectly in 3D cinemas as well, right? Is it exactly the same thing?
You can't bring the glasses to the cinema as their technology lies in the projector. Cinema glasses are passive/cheap while home glasses are active/expensive (and the monitors cheap in contrast to cinema technology). The result is the same though.

Zabojnik said:
Also, Wollan, tell us more about the eye strain / headaches problems. If you've experienced any, after how long ... Because beside the 'dark screen' negative comments (which I understand isn't a problem on a PC monitor, where you can adjust the brightness / contrast), that's what most 3D cinema goers keep complaining about.
I've yet to experience any headache or eye strain problems (though I got eye strain at one point when I forgot to turn on 120hz in a game). I got to run right now but I'll be back in 45.

Minsc

Gold Member
When you take screenshots, can you enable / disable the 3D in the screenshot? Would it be it's own proprietary format, or png/jpg/etc?

I gotta stay out of these threads or I am liable to spend whatever it takes to get myself a similar setup.

Thanks for the impressions though, even at this early stage the tech shows great promise.

Leonsito

Windows Vista / 7 is obligatory ? No workarounds for XP ?

Found the glasses from 122€ .. time to dust off my old CRT ...

Wollan

Chao said:
Can you wear the 3d glasses while wearing another pair of glasses?
Yes, no problem. My glass wearing buddies who tried it at my place said it fit over like a glove and didn't feel uncomfortable. They seemed to fit perfectly from what I saw. The kit also comes with custom nose pieces (three sizes) so if you need the glasses to hover higher above your nose you can do so.

Minsc said:
When you take screenshots, can you enable / disable the 3D in the screenshot? Would it be it's own proprietary format, or png/jpg/etc?
Interesting question. Will try this right now. I seriously doubt (non tailored) games will offer two separate sources (like for example with .jps which is the standard stereo image format) though maybe World of Warcraft supports it (though I doubt it).

There are tools I believe that lets you take genual stereo images from your games though as there is an image thread on the official nvidia 3d vision forum.

baultista

Banned
I'm hoping that ATi has their own solution by the time that 120hz monitors become commonplace.

I'd gladly pick up on it now (even if it meant ditching my 4870 1gb), but I really like my 24" BenQ monitor!!

Wollan

Screenshots are just normal. It takes the current frame (be that left or right angle), pretty logical when I think about it *hits head*. Again though, I think there's tools that will take two sequential frames for you and combine it into a stereo format (if the game doesn't have it as a native function).

Boring one angle WoW image I just took

Minsc

Gold Member
Last request for now, try Tales of Monkey Island when you get a chance, it has a demo too, curious to hear how that works with this technology.

I think it could really be fun if adventure games took advantage of this, since the backgrounds tend to be a lot more static than in most other genres, and they involve a lot of hunting down and interacting with objects placed amongst the scenery, having them in eye-popping 3D would add a bit more interest to the game's world.

Chao said:
Can you wear the 3d glasses while wearing another pair of glasses?

Usually when I respond to a thread, I read the entire OP first. You should try it sometime.

This tech looks amazing though. It's going to be a while before I don't feel guilty for spending this much money though seeing as how I just recently bought a new monitor. Thanks for the really informative review!

I'm getting a new computer in September. I was planning on getting a Mac but after hearing about this I'm wondering if I should just build a PC and buy a monitor that would work well for 3D vision. Is it worth it? How much would it cost?

Wollan

Minsc said:
Last request for now, try Tales of Monkey Island when you get a chance, it has a demo too, curious to hear how that works with this technology.
Tales of Monkey Island the screaming Narwhal looks fine in 3D. I was a bit worried on initial bootup as the main menu text seems very hard to focus on but there was no problems in game. The subtitles read normally, items are displayed a layer behind those with the game itself a layer behind that again. The 3D environment gives good 3D to the closer items while things turn more 2D further back. When the main character took the ...boat wheel (brain jam) you see clear depth difference between the two and similar with other objects.

I have downloaded Final Fantasy 11 but the update will take 9+ hours (!) at this rate so no impressions before tomorrow. Only FF8 is listed though (maybe FF11 is an OpenGL game?).

Borman

Wollan said:
Tales of Monkey Island the screaming Narwhal looks fine in 3D. I was a bit worried on initial bootup as the main menu text seems very hard to focus on but there was no problems in game. The subtitles read normally, items are displayed a layer behind those with the game itself a layer behind that again. The 3D environment gives good 3D to the closer items while things turn more 2D further back. When the main character took the ...boat wheel (brain jam) you see clear depth difference between the two and similar with other objects.

I have downloaded Final Fantasy 11 but the update will take 9+ hours (!) at this rate so no impressions before tomorrow. Only FF8 is listed though (maybe FF11 is an OpenGL game?).

FFXI is Direct X 8. Ive seen notes in the patchlog regarding Nvidia 3d (cant remember what), so hopefully it works nicely :)

Lucis

Wollan said:

Do let me know how FFXI works... can't find any info online about it.
Man i really don't think there's a chance for me to get back my japanese account though =/ Maybe i'll just wait for 14 + 3d

1-D_FTW

**** me!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824859001

WTF! 309.99 for a LCD that does passive 3D? Isn't it generally agreed by everyone that passive is superior to shutters? I just thought the technology was crazy expensive on the display side.

If 3D could have been done cheaply with passive, why would Nvidia go with shutters? The obvious answer would be to sell 200 dollar glasses, but is there a legit reason besides that? What am I missing? I thought passive would be at least 5 years out. Makes me sad if Nvidia bypassed this solely for $$$.

Wollan

Nvidia will probably enable all kinds of technologies I'm guessing with time. Now they are supporting Shutter and Anaglyph. They're incorporating the file formats for the new (and first ever stereo) camera by Fujifilm which released in Japan this week. They want you to choose Nvidia GPU cards above anything else.

That iZ3D has a very specific driver for that screen only I believe. I wouldn't necessary feel safe going with that in contrast to an across-the-line company like Nvidia.

"Cons: Does not support SLI or Crossfire configuration, does not support dual monitor configuration, does not support 64-Bit operating systems"

It should work on ATI cards though.

HowellJenkins said:
I'm getting a new computer in September. I was planning on getting a Mac but after hearing about this I'm wondering if I should just build a PC and buy a monitor that would work well for 3D vision. Is it worth it? How much would it cost?

Just build a Hackintosh, they'll take some pretty high end parts.

Clipjoint

Looks like you can demo this technology at Microcenter. I'm going to stop by sometime this week and see if it's worth sinking $600 into.

Javaman

red shoe paul said:
Oh my god, I thought this was a side mirror for your car from that 2nd picture. :lol :lol

I saw it differently.:lol
11bjjiq.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Clipjoint said:
Looks like you can demo this technology at Microcenter. I'm going to stop by sometime this week and see if it's worth sinking $600 into.
Yeah, I've seen it there as well. Looks amazing in action, but man, seeing Burnout Paradise struggle to hold 30 fps really kills it.

I saw a couple other games running as well, however, and they seemed a bit more suited to this. Can't wait to see full on 60 fps games running in stereo 3D mode. Will be amazing.

Javaman

Wollan said:
Yes, no problem. My glass wearing buddies who tried it at my place said it fit over like a glove and didn't feel uncomfortable. They seemed to fit perfectly from what I saw. The kit also comes with custom nose pieces (three sizes) so if you need the glasses to hover higher above your nose you can do so.

Interesting question. Will try this right now. I seriously doubt (non tailored) games will offer two separate sources (like for example with .jps which is the standard stereo image format) though maybe World of Warcraft supports it (though I doubt it).

There are tools I believe that lets you take genual stereo images from your games though as there is an image thread on the official nvidia 3d vision forum.

Thanks for the writeup! One way that the 3d screenshots can be viewed without glasses is by flipping them back and forth in the same image. It might need to be saved as a .gif or something. I've seen some of those in the past and they give a pretty good representation of depth.

mavs

1-D_FTW said:
**** me!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824859001

WTF! 309.99 for a LCD that does passive 3D? Isn't it generally agreed by everyone that passive is superior to shutters? I just thought the technology was crazy expensive on the display side.

If 3D could have been done cheaply with passive, why would Nvidia go with shutters? The obvious answer would be to sell 200 dollar glasses, but is there a legit reason besides that? What am I missing? I thought passive would be at least 5 years out. Makes me sad if Nvidia bypassed this solely for $$$.

Big downsides to the iZ3D: It doesn't do 120Hz, and sandwiching two crappy panels together makes an even crappier overall monitor. It also takes up two video connections, making it a pain to use in a multi-monitor setup.

The 2265WM without shutter glasses (IE without 3D capability) costs the same as the iZ3d, and is just as bunk in picture quality, but for a lot of people it's worth it just for 120Hz. The response time of the 120Hz monitors is also far better than anything we have seen on an LCD before. I'm glad nVidia didn't go with the cheapy option.

Toby

Quick question. I see some of you mentioning this will work on most CRT's. I am currently using a Sony GDM-FW900, and wanted to double check that this CRT would work with this.

Also, I am just guessing that these work with Windows 7 RC? Anyone know?

1-D_FTW

Toby said:
Quick question. I see some of you mentioning this will work on most CRT's. I am currently using a Sony GDM-FW900, and wanted to double check that this CRT would work with this.

Also, I am just guessing that these work with Windows 7 RC? Anyone know?

It's recommended that your minimum refresh rate be 100hz.

Considering your monitor can do 2304x1440 @ 80 Hz, I'd assume there are a bunch of resolutions that can run at 100hz or higher. Just check your control panel to see what they are. Every resolution has a maximum refresh rate listed.

That's a sexy monitor beast you have. Envy.

Hope this isn't to off-topic but don't be looking for anymore great threads like this from Wollan.
dundunndunnn.jpg

EDIT: On Topic: Im surprised Crysis didn't look like pure hell stepping through the trees onto a virtual theater of war.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
On topic: Can these glasses be used with any 120Hz capable monitor?

Off topic:
BruceLeeRoy said:
Hope this isn't to off-topic but don't be looking for anymore great threads like this from Wollan.
dundunndunnn.jpg

EDIT: On Topic: Im surprised Crysis didn't look like pure hell stepping through the trees onto a virtual theater of war.
Aww, he was a cool comedic relief. His threads weren't anything particular, he was just another poster, unless you were a hardcore SDF in which case you would most likely aspire to be like him.

godhandiscen said:
On topic: Can these glasses be used with any 120Hz capable monitor?

Off topic:

Aww, he was a cool comedic relief. His threads weren't anything particular, he was just another poster, unless you were a hardcore SDF in which case you would most likely aspire to be like him.

He made some great threads. I really like the avatar one he threw together.

I believe the glasses can be used with any monitor that is capable of 120Hz.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am glad I waited before upgrading my monitors. 120Hz here I come.

HowellJenkins said:
what? Wollan got banned? But he's like a NeoGAF main character...
GAF has lost tons of main characters over the years. I still remember that guy who had a lust for his sister.

1-D_FTW

TheExodu5 said:
I don't get it. :eek:

On a side note...didn't his tag say he would never be banned? :lol

edit: on topic, has anyone tried TrackMania in 3D?

I did. Maybe my red/blue filters just sucked, which is possible, but it was awful. Probably because I was too distracted by how god awful the colors were. I felt like I'd accidentally enabled a secret "color blind" filter.

godhandiscen said:
I am glad I waited before upgrading my monitors. 120Hz here I come.

GAF has lost tons of main characters over the years. I still remember that guy who had a lust for his sister.

:lol good ole Doom.

Firestorm

Bit-Bit said:
Wollan gets banned but joke characters like Drinky Crow lives on.
I think the difference is Drinky Crow is a joke character while Wollan isn't joking even though you keep telling yourself he is.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Aha, this is sounding cooler and cooler. Been in the market for a new monitor too, especially a 22incher like the Viewsonic except I'd really appreciate HDMI inputs for PS3/360 and component for my PS2. Of course I'd probably wait until nVidia's dx11 cards hit before I upgrade to anything too fancy so maybe a wider range of screens will be out by then.

I keep seeing descriptions of 3D performance for individual games in this thread, are people getting these from the software or some section of the website I haven't found yet? Assassin's Creed 2 will look great in this for sure.

ED: Got through to the low-bandwidth Samsung site. Theirs is 22in too... Bundle's looking pretty attractive as long as it stays.

mr_nothin

Banned
Firestorm said:
I think the difference is Drinky Crow is a joke character while Wollan isn't joking even though you keep telling yourself he is.
That's stupid. So when we associate someone with being a "joke character" its ok for them to derail and insert 1 line smart-lines into threads...etc etc?

It's still derailing the thread.

Welp...Wollan will be missed, i guess.
This isnt really OT since wollan made the thread =]

Top Bottom