• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Pachimari

1-D_FTW

http://us.acer.com/acer/product.do;...ond189e.c2att1=0&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3204888204

Finally some new blood on the monitor front. I've been looking to replace my CRT with one of these 120hz monitors, but it's been a joke. The Samsung and USA Viewsonic keep the brightness at full when in 120hz mode (not great if you're not using the glasses.) The Viewsonic 2668 allows you to adjust brightness when in 120hz mode, but still hasn't made it out of Europe. The 24-inch 1080P Asus was supposed to be available in 3rd quarter, but dropped off the map. Acer recently announced they were doing a 1080P model and seeing as it's been updated onto their website, maybe a release in the next couple months is actually realistic. Speculation is they're having trouble getting 3D certification from Nvidia (They better not make them lock into full brightness again), but January is the target.

Pachimari

The Press Release:

LG Display Rolls Out 3D LCDs with Full HD Resolution
The World's First Mass Produced Full HD 3D LCD

Seoul, Korea (December 3, 2009) – LG Display Co., Ltd. [NYSE:LPL, KRX:034220], a leading innovator of thin-film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) technology, announced the world's first commercial launch of 3D LCD panel boasting full HD resolution.

The new product is a 23-inch 3D monitor LCD panel for use with shutter glasses that delivers full HD resolution. It offers picture quality that is almost twice as crisp as HD 3D displays currently available in the market.

The panel adopts the company's proprietary technologies such as "high performance 3D exclusive controller" capable of processing more than twice as much image data as other HD 3D LCDs and "copper bus line" to improve on the resolution and picture quality. In addition, the panel is able to reproduce both 2D and 3D images, meaning that users can switch back and forth from 2D and 3D modes.

Although full HD 3D images have been developed for contents such as video games, movies and animations, 3D display products with full HD resolution were unavailable in the market. The commercial launch of LG Display's full HD 3D LCD panel is expected to help to boost development of high resolution 3D contents while allowing users to view true-to-life 3D images.

Mr. Davis Lee, LG Display's Vice President and head of IT marketing department, noted "LG Display has made a major breakthrough in the display industry race to deliver the depth and dynamic nature of 3D images. LG Display will continue with efforts to keep pace with the fast growing 3D market with leading 3D technology and products in order to create new value for customers."

The 3D display market is expected to grow at rapid pace as the industry players are shifting their focus from two- dimensional to three-dimensional technologies. The Korea Communications Commission recently announced plans to start a trial service for the world's first full HD 3D terrestrial broadcasting from the second half of 2010. A launch of trial services for 3D satellite broadcasts had been also announced earlier in Japan and the UK.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/03/lg-first-to-hit-mass-production-with-full-hd-3d-lcds/

1-D_FTW said:
http://us.acer.com/acer/product.do;...ond189e.c2att1=0&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=3204888204

Finally some new blood on the monitor front. I've been looking to replace my CRT with one of these 120hz monitors, but it's been a joke. The Samsung and USA Viewsonic keep the brightness at full when in 120hz mode (not great if you're not using the glasses.) The Viewsonic 2668 allows you to adjust brightness when in 120hz mode, but still hasn't made it out of Europe. The 24-inch 1080P Asus was supposed to be available in 3rd quarter, but dropped off the map. Acer recently announced they were doing a 1080P model and seeing as it's been updated onto their website, maybe a release in the next couple months is actually realistic. Speculation is they're having trouble getting 3D certification from Nvidia (They better not make them lock into full brightness again), but January is the target.
dur what. you can adjust brightness as much as you want while running 120hz on the 2233rz

taku

Anastacio said:
lg-display_full-hd-3d1-dog-600-1259834698.jpg

:lol I really do love how everyone using these glasses look totally stupid.

Durante

I really hope that this time around the full HD 120Hz displays will actually happen. I fully intended to buy that Asus that was supposed to be released a while ago.

dionysus

Yaldog
Has this been posted on GAF yet? Searched but didn't find.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/12/07/amd_demonstrates_bluray_stereoscopic_3d_playback_at_ces

http://www.amd.com/us/press-releases/Pages/amd-3d-2009dec7.aspx

AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that it will demonstrate the forthcoming Blu-ray stereoscopic 3D standard at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show, showcasing how consumers will soon get to enjoy high-fidelity 3D entertainment once reserved only for theaters.

A new way to enjoy Blu-ray entertainment: Expected to hit store shelves in the second half of next year, Blu-ray stereoscopic 3D combines the crisp, high-definition images the format is known for with high-quality 3D visuals that seem to jump from the screen. As a contributing member of the Blu-ray Disc Association, AMD is working closely with technology partners as the format specifications are finalized over the coming year in order to help ensure compatibility with upcoming AMD hardware.

Seeing is believing: At the upcoming 2010 Consumer Electronics Show, AMD and CyberLink will jointly preview Blu-ray stereoscopic 3D entertainment for those in attendance. AMD will be located in the Grand Lobby (GL-8 and GL-10) of the Las Vegas Convention Center. The new standard is one of many 3D technologies AMD openly supports, along with 3D DLP televisions, dual-panel and line interleaved 3D monitors, and is part of AMD’s initiative to further both the art of 3D entertainment, and its adoption in homes worldwide through close collaboration with 3D technology partners, including OEMs, software developers and content distributors.

Continuing a proud tradition of technology leadership in graphics: Stereoscopic 3D for HD gaming and multimedia joins a long list of technologies that AMD has led the way in. Most recently AMD launched its series of next-generation ATI Radeon™ graphics cards, delivering the industry’s first and only support of DirectX 11 gaming currently, and multi-display entertainment made possible by AMD’s ground-breaking ATI Eyefinity technology.

“AMD has a long, proud tradition of delivering leading technologies to market – technologies that have a meaningful and positive impact on the PC experience,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president, AMD Products Group. “Stereoscopic 3D is set to be one of these technologies, and that’s why AMD has committed the time and resources to ensure that when Blu-ray stereoscopic 3D is ready for the world, AMD will be ready to bring it to consumers, just as we have done recently with DirectX 11-capable hardware to support DirectX 11 gaming.”

“AMD has been a valuable partner, developing hardware optimized for the highest quality video and audio experience with PowerDVD Ultra,” said Alice H. Chang, CEO of CyberLink. “With the addition of stereoscopic 3D support for the next generation of Blu-ray discs, we’re ready to bring consumers an incredible new entertainment experience in the coming year. Our joint technology preview at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show will give everyone a taste of what’s in store.”

3D support for games can't be too far behind. Is Nvidia's last talking point about to be nullified?

bee

dionysus said:
3D support for games can't be too far behind. Is Nvidia's last talking point about to be nullified?

given that a lot of ati 5 series cards have trouble merely running 1680x1050@120hz without 3d, i very much doubt it

Durante

press release said:
Continuing a proud tradition of technology leadership in graphics: Stereoscopic 3D for HD gaming and multimedia joins a long list of technologies that AMD has led the way in.
:lol

1-D_FTW

bee said:
given that a lot of ati 5 series cards have trouble merely running 1680x1050@120hz without 3d, i very much doubt it

That's all it is though. You render at 120hz and the glasses do the magic. It's not like there's any additional load beyond having the ideal framerate be 120hz. Right? Am I missing something?

Durante said:

Yeah.:lol Even by PR standards, that's a whopper. I remember many years ago when I had an ATI and Nvidia unveiled their first 3D initiative. Was jealous. And in that time Nvidia discontinued support, years passed, and they reintroduced 3D. All without ATI ever jumping in.

bee

1-D_FTW said:
That's all it is though. You render at 120hz and the glasses do the magic. It's not like there's any additional load beyond having the ideal framerate be 120hz. Right? Am I missing something?

google it, ati seems to have problems working at 120hz for a lot of people right now, few possible fixes but they don't work for all people, 2d clock speed is too slow or something

that's the easy part and if they have trouble managing that i can only imagine what their 3d drivers will be like

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I went into my NV Control panel and looked through the compatible games... I did not know Fallout 3 was a game that supported this. I then looked for a review and ran into this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ARb9duHks

Pretty cool!

bee said:
Burnout paradise

i think i can safely say that any driving game is gonna be excellent from now on without even trying it, will be playing through this in 3d the whole time for sure

This is what I'm excited about. Not an NV solution but I hope the PS3 and GT5 do something interesting with the supposed Sony 3D tech.

BlueTsunami said:
I went into my NV Control panel and looked through the compatible games... I did not know Fallout 3 was a game that supported this.
pretty much all directx games work. with varying degrees of success. some need some special care, but just because a game doesn't have a profile in there doesn't mean it won't work

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
cjelly said:
I have a pair of Green/Magenta glasses... what YouTube setting should I select to watch 3D videos?

Full colour or B?

Mine worked best with Full color but the issue I have with my pair is that they darken the screen too much (though I was watching the Fallout 3 vid which is dark to begin with). I find the cross eyed method works the best (in regards to clarity).

bee

i was just gonna bump this aswell :)

been playing a lot more and have 2 stand out games

Batman Arkham Asylum - the intro where you're walking through with the joker is just amazing when you crank the convergence up, this is the 2nd best game i've played in 3D and surprisingly i can run it 1680x1050, max settings(no blur or AA) with both physx and 3D enabled and it runs around 30fps on my puny old gtx 260. fairly pointless posting a pic ( can you create 3D screenshots somehow?) but when you see this bit in motion in 3D your jaw WILL hit the floor

2zp1r9e.jpg

Avatar (full game) - game is just flat out stunning, in normal mode its a great looking game imo but in 3D its just the best looking game i've ever played bar none. the trees/plants are swaying, theres dandelion style seeds floating through the air all on different depth levels and many other things going on to create a fantastic atmosphere, even firing your gun looks great. theres characters popping out of the screen, guns popping out and practically whole vehicles at times, amazing stuff. again runs surprisingly well on high with only shadows turned down to medium, usually around 30fps. will be replaying this when fermi eventually shows up for some hopefully 50fps+ action

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really anxious for this tech to really expand. I'm waiting for some more powerful hardware and a 1080p 3D monitor before I make the move.

Ydahs

I want to purchase this but I have a few questions.

A $1000+ investment is a lot, considering I just finished school and am starting University. I'm going to have to buy a new PC (my one died a few months back so I'm using my sister's one) and I'm going to need a supported monitor which will cost me $800+ alone.

Is the ViewSonic VX2265wm FuHzion 22-Inch LCD Monitor good enough for 3D gaming? Any have it? With 3D Vision, it costs $434USD ($470AUD).

What are the chances that this tech will receive revisions anytime soon? I don't want to buy such an expensive product which will become obsolete a couple of years down the track. Rather, I'd like it to be a long term investment which I can use for several years.

EDIT: would any 120Hz monitor work with 3D Vision?

Minsc

Gold Member
Ydahs said:

A $1000+ investment is a lot, considering I just finished school and am starting University. I'm going to have to buy a new PC (my one died a few months back so I'm using my sister's one) and I'm going to need a supported monitor which will cost me $800+ alone.

Is the ViewSonic VX2265wm FuHzion 22-Inch LCD Monitor good enough for 3D gaming? Any have it? With 3D Vision, it costs $434USD ($470AUD).

What are the chances that this tech will receive revisions anytime soon? I don't want to buy such an expensive product which will become obsolete a couple of years down the track. Rather, I'd like it to be a long term investment which I can use for several years.

Be careful you don't get tricked in to buying a monitor that displays at 120hz by internally converting the signal, the monitor must actually accept an input of 120hz which many 120 or 240hz monitors do not.

But yes, afaik 120hz is 120hz is 120hz. The 3D requirement of 120hz will never become obsolete, once you have a 120hz input on your display, you have 3D for life!

1-D_FTW

Ydahs said:

The general consensus seems to be Acer 120hz > Viewsonic 120hz > Samsung 120hz. Only the Samsung and Viewsonic models are currently available. The Acer is a 24 inch 1080p model that just became available in some parts of the world, and should be released in the rest by Jan/Feb. I think LG has a model announced and Asus announced one 9 months ago, but it may have been canceled. Not a lot of options.

Here's a review on the new Acer:

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-7352-38.html

The only thing to worry about in terms of obsolete is if Nvidia decides to stop supporting it with drivers again (They had 60hz tech a decade ago and abandoned it.) Considering how popular 3D is becoming, seems a lot less likely this time.

Ydahs

Thanks for the responses. As much as I want it, I doubt I'll be able to afford the Acer monitor. I'm thinking of buying the Viewsonic off eBay for $325 AUD, but the postage costs $159... I don't think it's sold at all within Australia so that's why I'm considering importing. I don't think I can buy it off Amazon though, as it's probably restricted to US users.

Are there any issues I have to worry about when importing a monitor, asides having a different powerpoint?

bee

Ydahs said:
Thanks for the responses. As much as I want it, I doubt I'll be able to afford the Acer monitor. I'm thinking of buying the Viewsonic off eBay for $325 AUD, but the postage costs $159... I don't think it's sold at all within Australia so that's why I'm considering importing. I don't think I can buy it off Amazon though, as it's probably restricted to US users.

Are there any issues I have to worry about when importing a monitor, asides having a different powerpoint?

don't you use the same plugs as us in UK? i.e 3 pin, the euro version of the viewsonic is better VX2268wm

yurinka

Minsc said:
Be careful you don't get tricked in to buying a monitor that displays at 120hz by internally converting the signal, the monitor must actually accept an input of 120hz which many 120 or 240hz monitors do not.

But yes, afaik 120hz is 120hz is 120hz. The 3D requirement of 120hz will never become obsolete, once you have a 120hz input on your display, you have 3D for life!
Can this be applyied to things like MotionFlown 120Hz? Would a firmware update to use 3d support instead of Motionflow?

Ydahs

bee said:
don't you use the same plugs as us in UK? i.e 3 pin, the euro version of the viewsonic is better VX2268wm
What? That explains why I haven't been finding it in any Australian stores. Just did a search and found it for only $270. Thank you!

1-D_FTW

Ydahs said:
What? That explains why I haven't been finding it in any Australian stores. Just did a search and found it for only $270. Thank you!

Definitely the preferable Viewsonic model. If you're importing the 8 is way better than the 5 (Only the US is stuck with 5.) 8 has OSD controls and you're able to adjust brightness/contrast when in 120hz mode. The 5 model locks you into torch mode.

quetz67

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
The only thing to worry about in terms of obsolete is if Nvidia decides to stop supporting it with drivers again (They had 60hz tech a decade ago and abandoned it.) Considering how popular 3D is becoming, seems a lot less likely this time.
especially with them selling their own hardware for the first time...so no, won't happen.

yurinka said:
Can this be applyied to things like MotionFlown 120Hz? Would a firmware update to use 3d support instead of Motionflow?

No, those displays are still only going to accept 60Hz no matter how fast the panel is capable of refreshing what it displays. No firmware update is going to going to make their HDMI inputs capable of supporting additional bandwidth, and most importantly, the manufacturers wouldn't spend any resources on trying to make that possible.

border

I'm glad someone bumped this thread -- I was just statrting to get interested in this technology, but couldn't find anything about it using the forum search feature.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but my main concern is that 3D supposedly cuts every game's framerate in half. Is this true?

Anyhow, glad to hear that World of Warcraft looks cool.....

Durante

border said:
I haven't read the whole thread yet but my main concern is that 3D supposedly cuts every game's framerate in half. Is this true?
That was the case in the beginning, these days it seems like a 30 - 40% hit depending on the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
border said:
I'm glad someone bumped this thread -- I was just statrting to get interested in this technology, but couldn't find anything about it using the forum search feature.

Anyhow, glad to hear that World of Warcraft looks cool.....

3dvision-1.jpg

Here's a chart showing a few games.

Some case like Batman AA it's more than half, other's like RE5, it's a little less than half. Still, it's a good 40% on average, sometimes more.

yurinka

Valkyr Junkie said:
No, those displays are still only going to accept 60Hz no matter how fast the panel is capable of refreshing what it displays. No firmware update is going to going to make their HDMI inputs capable of supporting additional bandwidth, and most importantly, the manufacturers wouldn't spend any resources on trying to make that possible.
If PS3 is supposed to run 3D with just a firmware update, does it means it's going to run using HDMI 1.3 so with HDMI 1.3 tvs nope? or HDMI 1.4 would run in PS3 too and it would need a TV ready for HDMI 1.4?

quetz67

Banned
yurinka said:
If PS3 is supposed to run 3D with just a firmware update, does it means it's going to run using HDMI 1.3 so with HDMI 1.3 tvs nope? or HDMI 1.4 would run in PS3 too and it would need a TV ready for HDMI 1.4?
HDMI is mostly about bandwidth and HDMI 1.3 offers enough bandwidth for 1080p 120hz S3D.

HDMI 1.4 offers protocols for S3D but neither the player nor the display needs to use those, it is just for "convenience".

yurinka said:

That's the big mystery. The pre-Slims were a pseudo HDMI 1.3 (the HDMI 1.3 spec was finalized only a month and a half before the PS3 was launched), and of course the new Slim units support the full HDMI 1.3 spec (which mostly just seems to be that HDMI-CEC was added). So it's bizarre that both of these different models will be able to support 3D with just a firmware update since Sony has made it clear that you will need an HDMI 1.4 display, those of course are going to be the first TVs that will natively accept a 120Hz input source and have the transmitters built-in to work with the 3D glasses.

What's most interesting is that games already run at a higher framerate than movies, so one would think that at best the PS3 would only be able to support 3D BDs and not be able to work with games. I think Sony has just realized how much of an advantage this will give them in pushing 3D tech forward if they can get 3D to work on all of the existing consoles out there, so they've found a way to get around the textbook 3D specifications and get it working in a different manner. It's kind of backwards when you think about it since anyone that can drop the $2k-$3k on buying a 3D TV later this year probably wouldn't care about the additional $300 they'd have to spend on a HDMI 1.4 PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Valkyr Junkie said:
That's the big mystery. The pre-Slims were a pseudo HDMI 1.3 (the HDMI 1.3 spec was finalized only a month and a half before the PS3 was launched), and of course the new Slim units support the full HDMI 1.3 spec (which mostly just seems to be that HDMI-CEC was added). So it's bizarre that both of these different models will be able to support 3D with just a firmware update since Sony has made it clear that you will need an HDMI 1.4 display, those of course are going to be the first TVs that will natively accept a 120Hz input source and have the transmitters built-in to work with the 3D glasses.

What's most interesting is that games already run at a higher framerate than movies, so one would think that at best the PS3 would only be able to support 3D BDs and not be able to work with games. I think Sony has just realized how much of an advantage this will give them in pushing 3D tech forward if they can get 3D to work on all of the existing consoles out there, so they've found a way to get around the textbook 3D specifications and get it working in a different manner. It's kind of backwards when you think about it since anyone that can drop the $2k-$3k on buying a 3D TV later this year probably wouldn't care about the additional $300 they'd have to spend on a HDMI 1.4 PS3.

The flipside of that, though, is that if they did require a HDMI 1.4 PS3, it locks current PS3 owners out from thinking about upgrading to a 3D TV. Whereas the way they're doing it, they've a better chance of tempting existing PS3 owners over.

I've no idea about the HDMI standards, but I think if there is dependency on 1.4, I think they're hacking a solution with PS3 to let it do the necessary with 1.4 TVs, even though it's not itself 1.4 compliant. There may be reasons why 1.4 is generally required and why other devices will use 1.4 to send 3D signals, but I'm guessing 'smarter' signal feeders (like PS3) can go to a bit more trouble and hack around that without necessarily conforming to the entire spec.

Ydahs

Just a couple of questions:

How 3D is the 3D effect? An early poster mentioned it's flat and like cardboard cut outs. Is that true?

I wear glasses... will this be an issue?

quetz67

Banned
Ydahs said:
Just a couple of questions:

How 3D is the 3D effect? An early poster mentioned it's flat and like cardboard cut outs. Is that true?

I wear glasses... will this be an issue?
Playing Burnout Paradise right now and the streets stretch out "for miles"...not even close to looking cardboard cut outs.

Get yourself some red-green glasses and check it (turn to 100% depth) with the nvidia drivers. The 3D effect is about the same, just the colors and ghosting are really bad.

Glasses are not an issue at all.

yurinka

mmm... I think maybe their trick for make it run in PS3 with these HDMI1.3 implementations is to send current 60Hz 2D frames (the normal current ones, not 2 separated for each eye) through current signal, plus depth data for each eye through HDMI 1.3 data bandwith.

This wouldn't stress the perfomance of the games compared to render 2 separate frames for each eyes at 60Hz each, which must cause to halve resolution and / or big FPS drop (something nobody mentioned after playing CES PS3 3D gaming).

I think this make sense because BD3D movies must be 2DBC, so I supouse they would include a 2D version and a 3D version in the BD. PS3 would extrapolate the depth data from the 2 separated frames of the 3D version, and then apply it to the 2D version, and send it to the tv in the same way than the games.

And then future BD players / PS4 would send 2 separate images at 60Hz for each eye using HDMI 1.4, and use the 3D version of the BD3D movies.

This would mean you won't "see after the wall" moving your head in PS3(something anybody mentioned if it is possible or not in GT5 / Super Startdust HD / Wipeout HD / Motorstorm 3D demos), unlike they implement in game a GT5-like headtracking (or like this).

I think this make sense, nope? And it would run in my tv:lol

bee

finally worked out how to play youtube videos in 3d using the glasses, used THIS to download the vids then THIS to make them play ok in the nvidia player

grabbed that compilation clip and its surprisingly good quality although the settings he used are a little too much for me, looks like 100% depth. few games on there i've not tried though which looked great mainly pure, assasins creed and prototype and the pip boy on fallout 3, i actually moved my head back the things popping out the screen that much :lol

should be much easier soon though as nvidia announced a plugin at ces so you can watch 3D videos right there on youtube without downloading etc

Wag

1-D_FTW said:

The thing that bugs me about this display is that it's only 1080p, and I have one of those original 24" 1920x1200 Soyo IPS displays, so other than the 3D, this would pretty much be a downgrade. Now a 27"/28" 3D display would be a different matter...

androvsky

yurinka said:
mmm... I think maybe their trick for make it run in PS3 with these HDMI1.3 implementations is to send current 60Hz 2D frames (the normal current ones, not 2 separated for each eye) through current signal, plus depth data for each eye through HDMI 1.3 data bandwith.

Like quetz67 said (and possibly others, haven't read the whole thread) the bandwidth allocated for video in HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 is exactly the same. The only difference is that the 1.4 spec allows for sending tags so that the TV knows the video it is receiving is supposed to be in 3D.

I don't know if the PS3 will be able to get around the chip's limitation and send flags some other way (doubtful), or if people will have to manually switch their TV into 3D mode when using it with a PS3, but HDMI 1.3 has plenty of bandwidth for 3D.

Dazzyman

This has actually been out years though. I bought a Geforce 1 when they came out back in VGA times. It broke 6months later so had to get another brand and it came with Revelator 3d glasses which is the same thing they use now. I used it for about 3-4yrs with other geforce cards (as they have always released 3d drivers for directx games with each card) and Max Payne was fantastic bulletts and nades flying out of screen. It always used to cut frame rate by 30-40% on average.

You need a 120hz capable input though and when my CRT monitor died and had to move onto LCD and pretty much every PC monitor became LCD the tech went quiet. Its been rebranded and rerleased now and of course coming to TV and BR/PS3 this year mainly because new LCD monitors can cope finally with the tech again.

I went to see Avatar on Friday (first 3d film Ive seen at cinema since the old crap red/blue/green cardboard ones which was Nightmare on Elm street) and it was using exactly the same tech Id used years ago with shutter tech (they use polorised in cinema though as its cheaper). It gave exactly the same holgraphic 3d image Id seen years ago so cant wait to get back into it again this year when the new TVs hit.

You can see how the tech was back in 99
http://www.stereo3d.com/revelator.htm
http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/elsa_revelator/

Top Bottom