• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Athlon64 Nforce SLI Details

golem

anand got some info up on the upcoming nforce board that will support sli (apparently not to be called nforce4)

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2175

Finally, the SLI version of CK8-04 ties everything together with an additional switching PEG solution. Even though the CK8-04 only supports 20 PCIe lanes, NVIDIA's elegant graphic solution runs 16 lanes into what appears to be a separate switching bridge chip. This bridge can be electrically configured to either run all 16 lanes to one PEG interface, or 8 lanes to two PEG interfaces. Remember, PCIe supports 250MBps per lane, so as long as the video card can electrically support itself on 8 lanes, the theoretical 2GBps (full duplex) per video card of a dual x8 configuration is more than enough for upcoming video card solutions for many revisions to come. Current 8X AGP solutions run at 2.1GBps (half duplex) video bandwidth without coming in reach of taxing out the bus.

nvidia_sli.gif

Arcticfox

I'm more looking forward to this board because of the new SoundStorm. While Creative sound cards are the standard, I have noticed they use a whole lot more CPU power to output the same quality sound as my old nForce2 with SoundStorm.

While I am not really interested in SLI, it is nice to see that this board should make it very affordable.

Slo

I'm very interested in SLI. I wouldn't buy two videocards right off the bat, but it'd be great to buy a card for $300 and then buy a second identical card when it hits $150 and see a 50-70% framerate increase. For example, I'm sitting here with a 9800 Pro, it'd be great if I could nab another one and be running Doom 3 faster then any nVidia 6800 can.

Soundstorm 2 is the main reason im going for this board.

Nforce's Audio ive always like better than creatives. Plus the one driver updates all I like instead of hunting down different drivers.

http://www.tcmagazine.info/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6784

Sources close to X86-Secret(French website) released some details regarding the upcoming nForce 4(codename CK8-04) chipset from NVIDIA. NVIDIA will release four different nForce 4 chipsets according to X86-Secret, the nForce 4, the nForce 4 Ultra, the nForce 4 SLI and the nForce 4 Pro. All with a lot of nice great features, cant wait for the press release from NVIDIA in September ;)

Anyway view the details below for each nForce 4 chipset separately:

nForce 4: The standard version is the "lowbudget" version, cheap but very usefull to build a nice system with great uptodate features!

nForce 4 Ultra: An optimized version of the standard version including extra functions like SATA-II and some advanced security options. The price will stay be reasonable according X86-Secret!

nForce 4 SLI: This chipset is specially developed for gamers if you ask me, this board should be used for SLI configurations. The price will be expensive but sooner or later we know the official pricetags for all four nForce 4 chipsets.

nForce 4 pro: Last but not least, the nForce 4 Pro chipset, build for servers with multi processor support, up to 8 CPUs. It will also support the PCI Express Hypertransport from NVIDIA, this chipset will be the first chipset from NVIDIA specially developed for the server market.

Altogether this new upcoming chipset seems to be very promosing, currently NVIDIA is starting to send the first samples to manufacturers for testing purposes. Keep in mind that the announcement of NVIDIA will be arround September!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It'd be very sexy if future Nvidia cards were backward compatible, so to speak, with old cards, in terms of SLI. So when upgrading, you could plop it in right next to your current card, and leverage the power of both. That'd make it sound, economically.

BlueLegs

gofreak said:
It'd be very sexy if future Nvidia cards were backward compatible, so to speak, with old cards, in terms of SLI. So when upgrading, you could plop it in right next to your current card, and leverage the power of both. That'd make it sound, economically.
It would also give their users more of a reason to stick with them incase they screw up big again, like they did with the FX series.

Phoenix

gofreak said:

The time and money it would take to make that work is really not worth it. Its like wanting to put 333DDR Ram in with PC-100. It is technically feasible to come up with a solution that would make that monstrosity work, but why bother.

Top Bottom