• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA's $99 Jetson Nano is an AI computer for DIY enthusiasts

Bullet Club

Banned
RetroPie is going to be pretty cool on this thing.

NVIDIA's $99 Jetson Nano is an AI computer for DIY enthusiasts

You could build your own robot without spending a fortune.

m849sNz.jpg

Sophisticated AI generally isn't an option for homebrew devices when the mini computers can rarely handle much more than the basics. NVIDIA thinks it can do better -- it's unveiling an entry-level AI computer, the Jetson Nano, that's aimed at "developers, makers and enthusiasts." NVIDIA claims that the Nano's 128-core Maxwell-based GPU and quad-core ARM A57 processor can deliver 472 gigaflops of processing power for neural networks, high-res sensors and other robotics features while still consuming a miserly 5W. On the surface, at least, it could hit the sweet spot if you're looking to build your own robot or smart speaker.

The kit can run Linux out of the box, and supports a raft of AI frameworks (including, of course, NVIDIA's own). It comes equipped with 4GB of RAM, gigabit Ethernet and the I/O you'd need for cameras and other attachments.

Price, unsurprisingly, is the main hook. While the Nano isn't nearly as powerful as higher-end Jetson models, it's available now at $99 for individuals and $129 for "production-ready" units destined for companies. That puts it within range of hobbyists, inventors and students who are willing to spend a bit more (but only a bit more) to create their own automated devices.

Source: Engadget

ulUyxg5.png

1f9X351.jpg

am pretty sure these single board robot computers have been around for around a decade and have always been cheap. you dont need something that powerful

even a ras pi is too powerful for a robot. usually you'd buy a cheap arduino board. or something like that.

ReBurn

Gold Member
am pretty sure these single board robot computers have been around for around a decade and have always been cheap. you dont need something that powerful

even a ras pi is too powerful for a robot. usually you'd buy a cheap arduino board. or something like that.
Depends on the robots you want to build. Arduino devices are nifty microcontrollers, but they lack compute power. They work well in basic rover-type robots because of the lack of system-level interrupts, so their execution is predictable. Every time through the loop you have to evaluate your variables to decide what to do next, then that's what happens for the rest of the loop.

Raspberry Pi doesn't work as well for robots because the system kernel can interrupt an execution thread, so if you're running multiple threads and you're not careful you can lose control if you're trying to coordinate multiple things at once. But it would be better for machine learning and AI than arduino because it has more memory and cpu capability.

I doubt if I would put this thing into a robot, but I would put it to work processing data and plucking insights from it. It might also put on a pretty rad Christmas light show, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
That is pretty slick and a pretty good price for the hardware as far as I can tell.

And iirc currently if making a drone or something a RasPi is the brain and a few ardruino boards control the mechanicals.

Depends on the robots you want to build. Arduino devices are nifty microcontrollers, but they lack compute power. They work well in basic rover-type robots because of the lack of system-level interrupts, so their execution is predictable. Every time through the loop you have to evaluate your variables to decide what to do next, then that's what happens for the rest of the loop.

Raspberry Pi doesn't work as well for robots because the system kernel can interrupt an execution thread, so if you're running multiple threads and you're not careful you can lose control if you're trying to coordinate multiple things at once. But it would be better for machine learning and AI than arduino because it has more memory and cpu capability.

I doubt if I would put this thing into a robot, but I would put it to work processing data and plucking insights from it. It might also put on a pretty rad Christmas light show, but that remains to be seen.

not even a graduate college student will build anything that would max out the power of this thing. you'd need a team of scientists to do that. and at that point its meaningless about the price point of the item when their salaries are hundreds of thousands.

am pretty sure even a smart car has a thing weaker than that and those are programmed by many many people.

yeah the ras pi isn't a robot machine and this isn't either its an arm chip too but you get my point it works for amateur work. for most robot you'd get a microcontroller on a single board or some sort of an FPGA.

these are way simpler to program on. you don't need to have a kernerl or an OS or anything. they just execute machine code that you insert with a laptop or something on an onboard storage. thats it pretty simply. anyone can do it. you just need to write program in whatever language you want. and have something translate it to machine language tho there are softwares that do all of that crap at once and injects it into the single board controller.

these are useful if you want something that can run an actual operating system like a linux. idk put a small output screen and give the robot a cute face or something

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Then "Neural network" stuff is useless to you, you'd be better of with existing solutions, like Pi 3, which also cost a fraction.
I have a pi3, it's too weak for modern Web browsing, and the other "clones" usually lack support and their cost isn't far from 99$.

Mihos

Gold Member
It looks pretty good for some standalone hobby stuff, although over kill for most the side stuff I do. If I had some higher end plans using their chips and frameworks, I would definitely pick one up to learn on.

Currently, we run the AI remotely over network and just have the safety and sensor packs on board... with just enough computing power on board to handle fallback modes and charging, etc. This lets you scale the back end separately to meet changing needs, no need to upgrade the onboard software every time you retrain your models, orchestrate multiple bots, and (above all else) saves battery power.

For thing like delivery robots and other rover type/long range applications where network may not be reliable, this would be good and probably what their long game is.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Could this be used in a Switch mini?

It's the exact same chip as a regular Switch, just with some hardware disabled. A Switch Mini needs a new more energy efficient chip so it can run fanless and with a smaller battery.

TLZ

Banned
It's the exact same chip as a regular Switch, just with some hardware disabled. A Switch Mini needs a new more energy efficient chip so it can run fanless and with a smaller battery.
Oh. I thought it looked smaller. Thanks nevermind.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The problem with these non pi mini boards is always,.. the support.
Shame as it does look cool.

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Haven't checked all videos about this SBC yet, but I've noticed in some of them that the reviewers have not bothered to supply proper power to the board -- the micro-USB power source is not sufficient to put the board in full power mode, as then the SoC draws slightly above 10W; one needs a barrel-jack 5V 3-4A supply to get the most out of this board.

Last edited:
Top Bottom