• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times and Drudgereport: COLLAPSE OF THE EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD ACCELERATES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

NYT: COLLAPSE OF THE EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD ACCELERATES
Mon Jul 12 2004 18:17:38 ET

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm

The collapse of the earth's magnetic field, which both guards the planet and guides many of its creatures, appears to have started in earnest about 150 years ago, the NY TIMES is planning to report on Page Ones Tuesday.

Science reporter Bill Broad has filed a report, according to newsroom sources, which explores how: 'The field's strength has waned 10 percent to 15 percent so far and this deterioration has accelerated of late, increasing debate over whether it portends a reversal of the lines of magnetic force that normally envelop the earth."

Broad explains: "During a reversal, the main field weakens, almost vanishes, and then reappears with opposite polarity. Afterward, compass needles that normally point north would point south, and during the thousands of years of transition much in the heavens and Earth would go askew."

Broad claims: "A reversal could knock out power grids, hurt astronauts and satellites, widen atmospheric ozone holes, send polar auroras flashing to the equator and confuse birds, fish and migratory animals that rely on the steadiness of the magnetic field as a navigation aid."

Developing...

- - - - -

More John Titor ownage.

"Does anything happen in the year 2012? I've heard stories about the world ending."

(68) Yes, there are unusual events in 2012 but they do not cause the world to end. It is important that they be a surprise. Perhaps you are familiar with the story of the Red Sea and the Egyptians?

yoshifumi

Banned
doesn't it reverse itself naturally every few thousand years or something? it's probably perfectly natural. but when the giant wall of insta-freeze comes, i'll be ready by setting my house on fire.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So we have any idea how long each cycle is?
Humans have been on earth for awhile now, only not with as much technology.

The only major concern is, in my view, how long does the earth stay unprotected with a magnetic shield?

andthebeatgoeson

Suikoguy said:
So we have any idea how long each cycle is?
Humans have been on earth for awhile now, only not with as much technology.

The only major concern is, in my view, how long does the earth stay unprotected with a magnetic shield?

Protected from what, dude? Don't fall for it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
magneto.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If John titor turns out to be right that will be FUCKING RAD.

I'm totally going to score me a time machine, come back to 2001, call myself John Titor and copy and paste those converations to message boards.

*Cleans Shotgun*

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
skinnyrattler said:
Protected from what, dude? Don't fall for it.

Remember the sun flares?

Some additional info

On Earth, the record of the reversal of the magnetic field is preserved in magnetic rocks which lie along the ocean floor. The magnetism preserved in these rocks points first in one direction, then in another direction, giving the ocean floor a stripped appearance (from a magnetic point of view). This means that many times in the past the north pole has become the south pole, and viceversa. Since no one knows how long this can take, no one can say whether it could happen over night or take thousands of years!

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/glossary/mag_field_reversals.html

recluse

If I recall correctly, magnetic flips occur every ~150,000 years. We haven't had a flip in the last 750,000 years though, so we are long overdue.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If only Drudge would be so kind as to report the important fact that no magnetic field reversal in this planet's history coincides with any mass extinction.

Things may get interesting for a while, but you can sleep soundly. Your chances of being annihilated in a meteor impact are greater. ;)

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Yeah we are way overdue for a magnetic field flip. If I remember correctly the only problems caused by a switch like this are compasses will begin obsolete until the field finally points south and additional solar radiation hitting earth increasing skin cancer cases.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hitokage said:
If only Drudge would be so kind as to report the important fact that no magnetic field reversal in this planet's history coincides with any mass extinction.

Wrong! Right below you, the real scientist gives us the true answers!

R_GILL said:
Yeah we are way overdue for a magnetic field flip. If I remember correctly the only problems caused by a switch like this are compasses will begin obsolete until the field finally points south and additional solar radiation hitting earth increasing skin cancer cases.

SKIN CANCER! WE WILL ALL MELT INTO A CANCEROUS OBLIVION!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fart said:
does titor claim to understand how his time machine (will) work(s/ed)?

I think he had diagrams? something about string theory. His site is actually quite an interesting (believe it or not) read.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
fart said:
does titor claim to understand how his time machine (will) work(s/ed)?
No, he claims to be just a pilot. Basically, he doesn't really understand the physics behind his story, so that was the easiest way of not having to discuss it with people that do.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Hitokage said:
Willco: Well, people from Sweden, maybe. Oh, and jewish avengers will be in peril too.

Impossible. Jewish Avengers are impervious to heat and magnetism! Like Doc Ock!

Suerte

"A reversal could knock out power grids, hurt astronauts and satellites, widen atmospheric ozone holes, send polar auroras flashing to the equator and confuse birds, fish and migratory animals that rely on the steadiness of the magnetic field as a navigation aid."

BUT WILL IT MAKE ME STRAIGHT?!

nubbe

I hope this happens during my lifetime… I want to see religious fanatics go havoc over something like this and drive people into some form of mass psychosis.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
"Some say we'll see Armaggedon soon
I certainly hope we will
I sure could use a vacation from this
Horseshit three ring circus..."
:)

I wonder if people eat this kind of stuff up because we all secretly want a little chaos to disrupt the banality of everyday life...

Phoenix

Doth Togo said:
More John Titor ownage.

"Does anything happen in the year 2012? I've heard stories about the world ending."

(68) Yes, there are unusual events in 2012 but they do not cause the world to end. It is important that they be a surprise. Perhaps you are familiar with the story of the Red Sea and the Egyptians?

I can't believe you guys. Do you read ANYTHING in theoretical physics? There are people who talked about this type of stuff long before Titor and they didn't claim to have travelled through time.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Skin cancer eh?

Seems like the shut-in geeks will inherit the earth after all

I CALL PRESIDENT

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Phoenix said:
I can't believe you guys. Do you read ANYTHING in theoretical physics? There are people who talked about this type of stuff long before Titor and they didn't claim to have travelled through time.
Sometimes you just got to know when you can't win. People in general are scientifically ignorant and lack skeptical thinking skills. That's why stuff like John Titor persist even after having been shown to be bullshit.

yoshifumi said:
doesn't it reverse itself naturally every few thousand years or something? it's probably perfectly natural. but when the giant wall of insta-freeze comes, i'll be ready by setting my house on fire.

Fool! What you want to do is get inside your house and close the door. Freezing air and stuff can't go through doors.

If John titor turns out to be right that will be FUCKING RAD.

I'm totally going to score me a time machine, come back to 2001, call myself John Titor and copy and paste those converations to message boards.

*Cleans Shotgun*

The beginning of a temporal paradox on GAF? Now THAT's megaton.

Phoenix said:

are you saying that everyone should find time in their lives for theoretical physics?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
yoshifumi said:

What I want to know is when I'm in the eye of the storm and giant wall of insta-freeze is coming will it make that cool WHOOOSH sound?

MaddenNFL64 said:
Sure, why not?

Okay then recommend me a book that isn't a difficult read, one that can entertain anyone who reads it. I'm not being facetious, I just don't associate "theoretical physics" with "easy read." If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

I personally wouldn't mind reading a little bit about theoretical physics as long as it's easy to understand.

Phoenix

bune duggy said:
Okay then recommend me a book that isn't a difficult read, one that can entertain anyone who reads it. I'm not being facetious, I just don't associate "theoretical physics" with "easy read." If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

I personally wouldn't mind reading a little bit about theoretical physics as long as it's easy to understand.

Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps and the Tenth Dimension
by Michio Kaku

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Phoenix said:
Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps and the Tenth Dimension
by Michio Kaku
Wait, what the fuck does that have to do with geophysics?

I know you guys won't believe me, but I too am a time traveler. In 2007, NINTENDO BECOMES A PS3 THIRD PARTY. Seriously. Hold me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom