• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times Op/Ed : "This Column is Gluten Free"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Watching the gluten-free / celiac backlash is frustrating. My mother is tough, down to earth woman who's body for whatever reason started objecting to gluten in her late 40's. If she consumes any kind of wheat product she becomes ill and eventually her skin starts to produce what looks like red boils. It took the doctors quite a while to figure out what was wrong with her because back then gluten allergies weren't commonly diagnosed. She'd give anything to be able eat pizza, hamburgers with buns or pasta again outside of their shitty wheat free alternatives but can't. She couldn't give a single fuck about appearing "unique".

This is the type of stuff that really pisses me off. I have two kids that legit have peanut & treenut allergies to where they could potentially die from exposure. They don't need a bunch of dumbfucks running around falsely claiming all!ergies to the point that on hearing of food allergies people just roll their eyes and don't take it seriously.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
0.6% of people have a peanut allergy and between 0.5% and 1% of people have celiac.

Nobody complains about peanut-free labels, but people don't want gluten-free labels.

¯_(ツ)_/¯
Scientists are working on GM hypoallergenic peanuts.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Seriously, as a frustrated chemist former chemistry student, seeing cucumbers listed as having a pH value of 10 was a real waddafug moment.

CUCUMBERS.

Fuchsdh

When I went into a pizzeria in Baltimore over the weekend and the first thing I saw were sacks of high gluten flour, I cracked one big-ass smile.

High_Gluten_Flour.jpg

.la1n

As someone who works in gastroenterology I can confirm a large number of people who are convinced they have a gluten allergy. Most of them do not.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Even if people take a misunderstood stance on gluten intake it's better for people to have some kind of active interest in what goes into their body. In many situations gluten free options are healthier than the alternative.

absolute bullshit

zbarron

That chart is fucking BATSHIT, just like the sheer imbecility of the alkaline diet.

Actual science and stuff: pH Values of Common Foods and Ingredients, FDA's pH Values of Various Foods.
Appreciate it. Seems I was correct with most food being either acidic or neutral.
You're going to need to explain exactly what the hell you're talking about here because it betrays a entirely fundamental misunderstanding of what goes into pH.
Sarcasm. The picture is pure crap.
Seriously, as a frustrated chemist former chemistry student, seeing cucumbers listed as having a pH value of 10 was a real waddafug moment.

CUCUMBERS.
Lemons and limes are also alkaline, doncha know.
I wonder if these people realise that highly alkaline things corrode much like highly acidic things do.
They listed lack of sleep as having a specific pH value. I think that answers your question on their knowledge of the subject.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
An absurd amount of gluten free products are loaded to the brim with sugars and fat so they make up for the lack of gluten and the (fun!) chemistry that comes with it.

People buying them because "they are healthy" are probably just chewing through large amounts of fancy junk food.

Check those labels, bruhs. But specially if you have an actual medical condition.

nomster

My wife was diagnosed with Celiac 8 years ago. The gluten free graze was a godsend with all the extra choices at super markets, but now it's kind of turned because restaurants are sick of dealing with self-diagnosed intolerances. She gets a a big sigh out of the waiter about fifty percent of the time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My wife was diagnosed with Celiac 8 years ago. The gluten free graze was a godsend with all the extra choices at super markets, but now it's kind of turned because restaurants are sick of dealing with self-diagnosed intolerances. She gets a a big sigh out of the waiter about fifty percent of the time.

As a juvenile diabetic, it's also helped me out too because there's a good amount of overlap in the diets. But yeah the backlash is real, and generally far more annoying and obnoxious than anyone with the dietary restriction.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Even if people take a misunderstood stance on gluten intake it's better for people to have some kind of active interest in what goes into their body. In many situations gluten free options are healthier than the alternative. This article is basically preaching for complete dietary ignorance, so I'm not surprised it was written by some balding baby boomer.

I would be surprised if you could give a single example.

Unless you're comparing "eating a donut" with the gluten-free option of "not eating a donut."

robochimp

An absurd amount of gluten free products are loaded to the brim with sugars and fat so they make up for the lack of gluten and the (fun!) chemistry that comes with it.

People buying them because "they are healthy" are probably just chewing through large amounts of fancy junk food.

Check those labels, bruhs. But specially if you have an actual medical condition.

Are we talking about products that replace junk food containing gluten?

I gave examples of the two most common products you would replace, bread and pasta, and there is no difference in sugar content

nomster

As a juvenile diabetic, it's also helped me out too because there's a good amount of overlap in the diets. But yeah the backlash is real, and generally far more annoying and obnoxious than anyone with the dietary restriction.
Yep,my wife is a juvenile diabetic too and has much better A1C numbers since being diagnosed.

nomster

I would be surprised if you could give a single example.

Unless you're comparing "eating a donut" with the gluten-free option of "not eating a donut."
I think that more or less is what he's saying. Usually the gluten free option at a restaurant has more greens or is a protein focused dish, rather than them making a gluten free sandwich with special bread.

Yamauchi

Banned
0.6% of people have a peanut allergy and between 0.5% and 1% of people have celiac.

Nobody complains about peanut-free labels, but people don't want gluten-free labels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't personally have a problem with gluten-free labels. What I do have a problem with is the vast amount of misinformation that is circulating about gluten among slightly-below-average folks. I have personally met 5 or 6 people, including one I work with, who have told me that gluten is bad for everyone (not just those with celiac disease). There is no telling how many more I know who hold that belief but don't talk about it. For me, this is rather annoying.

I'm sick of the 'gluten-free" mentions on things that don't need such a mention.

"gluten-free apple." Fuck you.

This. It's so obnoxious. This girl at my job is all of a sudden allergic to every single thing in the book because all of a sudden - gluten. She said that she could eat everything all the time but as soon as she eats something with gluten, she feels like shit. That's it...shit. Lol wtf

Doodis

My wife was diagnosed a couple years ago. It's been a huge pain in the ass and she wishes every day she could eat gluten without her stomach blowing up like a balloon. I can't imaging people wanting to go "gluten free" just because it's the stylish thing to do. But to each their own.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Are we talking about products that replace junk food containing gluten?

I gave examples of the two most common products you would replace, bread and pasta, and there is no difference in sugar content

I'm talking about a wide range of commonly available packaged foods (not necessarily junk per se) vs. their gluten free alternatives, processed ones being the worst offenders. Of course some items will have roughly the same values.

Gluten isn't particularly yummy by itself, but its chemistry can lead to much tastier food. This is the reason why gluten free products aimed at people with celiac disease always had a reputation for being bland as a mouthful of chalk. With the sudden increase in demand for gluten free products, some manufacturers are trying to make their offerings more appealing to the mainstream consumer by using obscene quantities of sugar, fat and salt. As a result, plenty of misinformed people buying into the "gluten free = healthier" fad are actually sacrificing their health for no good reason, while making life a bit suckier for folks with celiac disease.

grumble

I wonder if these people realise that highly alkaline things corrode much like highly acidic things do.

Cucumbers have a ph of 5.1-5.7 according to the fda. Milk is also sometimes slightly acidic. The more you know!

Actually flipping through that fad link almost all food is acidic. Some extremely acidic - cranberries are under 3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom