• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

Main reason I don't like working/volunteering at cons: I've had a case of the con flu for the past couple of days that I haven't wanted to do anything other than lay in bed. Been coughing up a hurricane and blowing my nose from time to time. Feels bad man.:(

In other news, I got accepted to work at New York Comic Con for my 5th consecutive year. The good times keep on rolling so expect me to make the thread for yet another year in the next couple of days. Lots of changes are in store for this year so I'm excited. Tickets have started to arrive in the mail as well.

Main reason I don't like working/volunteering at cons: I've had a case of the con flu for the past couple of days that I haven't wanted to do anything other than lay in bed. Been coughing up a hurricane and blowing my nose from time to time. Feels bad man.:(

In other news, I got accepted to work at New York Comic Con for my 5th consecutive year. The good times keep on rolling so expect me to make the thread for yet another year in the next couple of days. Lots of changes are in store for this year so I'm excited. Tickets have started to arrive in the mail as well.

Might have a new job by Comic con and I'm not sure if they're cool with me taking some time off for NYCC.

Jhoan

Might have a new job by Comic con and I'm not sure if they're cool with me taking some time off for NYCC.
Damn, it looks like you're in a bit of a double bind. Tough position there. Hopefully they'll be understanding about it and let you work it. If not, then there's always next year.

Should it come to that, you can always shoot an email to one of the NYCC higher ups responsible for Crew this year to let them know that you won't be able to commit to it so they can get someone else who was wait listed. They'll definitely fill in the empty spots fast.

Kilrathi

my NYCC professional pass just came in the mail this week. Hopefully there be more VR demos again this year.

Jhoan

my NYCC professional pass just came in the mail this week. Hopefully there be more VR demos again this year.

Nice, hopefully we'll get to meet then if not, then catch me in action. I wonder what the deal is with the video game industry presence this year. For the past 3 years or so, the Show Floor has been waning in terms of the big 3 skipping NYCC entirely.

However, Ubisoft and Square Enix have had a presence but otherwise, most of the video game industry stuff of the recent years has been relegated to the small panel rooms. I suppose all this stuff and more will be discussed in the new NYCC thread when I launch it this weekend, if not early next week.

With the 7 train expansion to 34th and 10th slated to open in about another week or two, this year's NYCC is definitely going to be gargantuan in terms of attendance. The Javits Center keeps on rapidly expanding as well to accommodate the size. San Diego Comic Con this ain't. Hell, the 34th street area in general is sure to experience an even bigger economic boom.

And it looks like East New York is slated to become the next up and coming area of Brooklyn that the wind of changes are blowing:

But the housing market is slated to change, aseal estate developers have been snatching up properties in the area. Recent major real estate deals include Eli Tabak of Bluestone Group and some fellow investors bought Arlington Village, a two-building, 210-unit apartment complex on Atlantic Avenue, in March.
In May, Pinnacle Group, another prominent developer, bought 318 rental units in MeadowWood at Gateway, a 19-building complex that was formerly Mitchell-Lama.

"It can become a reality that East New York can become the next Bushwick or the next Williamsburg," Banks said. "We have the potential."

But some East New York residents want to make sure there's housing for middle incomes too.
"We need to keep the area affordable for people who live here," said Chris Banks, a life-long resident and executive director of the East New York United Concerned Citizens. "What I'm fighting for and hope to see is a large percentage of affordable units mixed in with the middle income units."

Loads more in the link including an interview with the area's Homeowners Association President: http://www.amny.com/real-estate/cit...-s-next-up-and-coming-neighborhood-1.10800943

Never been to the area myself, but it sounds about average to rent. Friends who live there have lamented about its "ghettoness" but at the same lament about the threat of rising rents. Talk about it being a double-edged sword.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
doing a staycation for the long weekend. been on the go every freaking weekend this summer and in the fall too.

pretty stoked. going to check out the new whitney. might hit up fort tilden.

any suggestions for the weekend?

NYC Gaf - I have a question. I have a vacation coming up next month for NYCC. Is there anyway to get into NYCC? I missed the sale back in May and I'm not able to buy tickets at Midtown whenever they go on sale. Is the only way eBay?

Jhoan

doing a staycation for the long weekend. been on the go every freaking weekend this summer and in the fall too.

pretty stoked. going to check out the new whitney. might hit up fort tilden.

any suggestions for the weekend?
I would have said Target First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum of Art but sadly, they're not hosting one in September (it'll be back next month). I have no idea what's going on this weekend but timeoutnewyork.com has a pretty good weekend guide. You can also check out Gothamist and DNA Info in addition to Nerd York City for other events.
NYC Gaf - I have a question. I have a vacation coming up next month for NYCC. Is there anyway to get into NYCC? I missed the sale back in May and I'm not able to buy tickets at Midtown whenever they go on sale. Is the only way eBay?
How many tickets would you be buying and what day(s)? Sadly, eBay/Stubhub/Craigslist might be your best bet but there's also GAF members here who *might* be looking to sell tickets at face value if not for a little more than it. Emphasis on might. I would also think that maybe haggling the inevitable amount of onsite scalpers might be another alternative.

nyc thread? yo the J train going to Queens is trash. i hate it so much, i hate that its the train that i need to ride to get home. its just soooooooo slow, like 2-3 from the Manhattan side come before 1 going to Queens comes. >_> Then you got the mta raising the damn price every year, like bro, I don't mind paying more but if you're going to charge more I expect more damn trains.

Kilrathi

Nice, hopefully we'll get to meet then if not, then catch me in action. I wonder what the deal is with the video game industry presence this year. For the past 3 years or so, the Show Floor has been waning in terms of the big 3 skipping NYCC entirely.

However, Ubisoft and Square Enix have had a presence but otherwise, most of the video game industry stuff of the recent years has been relegated to the small panel rooms. I suppose all this stuff and more will be discussed in the new NYCC thread when I launch it this weekend, if not early next week.

There was some off site events for various games being show last year, but as far the public showing on the show floor, you could have seen everything playable in less then a day. I'll have make time to run into some gafers this time around.

Jhoan

nyc thread? yo the J train going to Queens is trash. i hate it so much, i hate that its the train that i need to ride to get home. its just soooooooo slow, like 2-3 from the Manhattan side come before 1 going to Queens comes. >_> Then you got the mta raising the damn price every year, like bro, I don't mind paying more but if you're going to charge more I expect more damn trains.
I'm having nightmares about taking the E all the out to LGC Airport, then transferring to the J to take a few stops into Brooklyn last summer for my bro's friend's BBQ. It was such a long ride. I don't think I'll ever do it again. It sounds a lot like the G train. Can't you catch the A to Queens?
There was some off site events for various games being show last year, but as far the public showing on the show floor, you could have seen everything playable in less then a day. I'll have make time to run into some gafers this time around.
Given how busy things usually are and people have different things they want to see/do, it's next to impossible to organize a GAF meet up during NYCC. I've tried in the past, but things seem to never line up since I'm usually working/with friends and if I'm off-shift/on a break, I'm usually in Artist Alley or at the break room. That being said, I usually give a general idea as to where I'm going to be at in advance since I don't have time to check GAF once I get to the Javits Center. Yeah, I agree, the show floor is something to check out the first day but not much more beyond that since that's not where the real action is.

A lot more things are getting moved off-site this year including panels being held at the Hammerstein Ballroom and huge panels such as The Walking Dead are being held Madison Square Garden this year. Holy crap! I just realized how much I miss talking about NYCC stuff that I'm going off on a tangent. Definitely will try to have the thread up by Sunday at latest if not Saturday night so as not to derail this thread and draft the thread content up tonight.

I'm having nightmares about taking the E all the out to LGC Airport, then transferring to the J to take a few stops into Brooklyn last summer for my bro's friend's BBQ. It was such a long ride. I don't think I'll ever do it again. It sounds a lot like the G train. Can't you catch the A to Queens?

Given how busy things usually are and people have different things they want to see/do, it's next to impossible to organize a GAF meet up during NYCC. I've tried in the past, but things seem to never line up since I'm usually working/with friends and if I'm off-shift/on a break, I'm usually in Artist Alley or at the break room. That being said, I usually give a general idea as to where I'm going to be at in advance since I don't have time to check GAF once I get to the Javits Center. Yeah, I agree, the show floor is something to check out the first day but not much more beyond that since that's not where the real action is.

A lot more things are getting moved off-site this year including panels being held at the Hammerstein Ballroom and huge panels such as The Walking Dead are being held Madison Square Garden this year. Holy crap! I just realized how much I miss talking about NYCC stuff that I'm going off on a tangent. Definitely will try to have the thread up by Sunday at latest if not Saturday night so as not to derail this thread and draft the thread content up tonight.
its that i get off at crescent so its either the Q24 that suffers from traffic during rush hours or the slow ass J to queens, its a lose lose for me. But at least i only have that issue when I'm going home. imagine if I had to take the Queens J for work or school, I'd have to wake up extra early cause of how slow it is :( to its credit its a lot better now, back when i was in high school I'd wait 30+ minutes for the J at Alabama. Its still not acceptable waiting times though for a service that keeps raising the prices.

Where are you going? Believe it or not, if you're going east in Queens, the bus might be faster. I once took the J train to transfer to JFK and it took almost 2 hours. Now, I take the Q54 it cuts down the time in half.

Where are you going? Believe it or not, if you're going east in Queens, the bus might be faster. I once took the J train to transfer to JFK and it took almost 2 hours. Now, I take the Q54 it cuts down the time in half.

I get off at crescent so i can transfer either to the J or Q24 at broadway junction. most of the times its easier to just take the slow ass train though since like i said in my other post, Q24 has some bad traffic during rush hours.

How many tickets would you be buying and what day(s)? Sadly, eBay/Stubhub/Craigslist might be your best bet but there's also GAF members here who *might* be looking to sell tickets at face value if not for a little more than it. Emphasis on might. I would also think that maybe haggling the inevitable amount of onsite scalpers might be another alternative.

Just 2 tickets. Any day honestly. Saturday we prefer but anyday would work. I've been looking at all those sites. Thanks for the response man!

Damn, it looks like you're in a bit of a double bind. Tough position there. Hopefully they'll be understanding about it and let you work it. If not, then there's always next year.

Should it come to that, you can always shoot an email to one of the NYCC higher ups responsible for Crew this year to let them know that you won't be able to commit to it so they can get someone else who was wait listed. They'll definitely fill in the empty spots fast.

Yea, if I get this job, which is gonna be based on if they can work with my school schedule, I'll see if I can work these days.

I just got my 4 day, and a friend already called dibs lol

fushi

Hey NYC-GAF (and US-GAF in general),

I'll be visiting your city for two weeks starting Friday and it being my vacation I will be free to see and do whatever. My current set of plans is to visit museums (Met, MoMa, Guggenheim), eat in various places (mostly inexpensive ones) and just walking around the city. It'll be my first time crossing the Atlantic, so I am somewhat prepared for a mild culture shock. Hopefully I'll manage!

The place I am staying at is in Williamsburg. Main mode of transportation will be on foot and via metro, using one those 7 day Metrocards I read about. Spending money I've set to be around 50 bucks for a day. I won't have every single meal outside, but more than likely 2 of 3 will be just that. Will that suffice if I mostly eat at inexpensive places? The prices in Yelp say "yes", at least. I was also thinking that it would be easier to have that money in cash, so I will be taking around 500 dollars with me, rather than relying on debit/credit cards which might not be accepted everywhere (or so I have read).

Then there's the tipping thing. Tipping frightens me a little, because while I am used to paying a tip when I eat out here and am serviced by a waiter, but reading some tipping guides on NYC it would seem I have to dole out extra cash in quite a lot of scenarios I am not aware of. A cashier at a coffeehouse is a random example of that. If a coffee costs four bucks, should I automatically give more because that is expected of me?

Other than that, I am excited! The weather seems nice and warm right now as well.

GiJoccin

Then there's the tipping thing. Tipping frightens me a little, because while I am used to paying a tip when I eat out here and am serviced by a waiter, but reading some tipping guides on NYC it would seem I have to dole out extra cash in quite a lot of scenarios I am not aware of. A cashier at a coffeehouse is a random example of that. If a coffee costs four bucks, should I automatically give more because that is expected of me?

Other than that, I am excited! The weather seems nice and warm right now as well.

You generally only HAVE to tip at restaurants or bars, I almost always tip at coffee shops, but that's because I used to date a barista. From what I notice most people don't actually tip at coffee shops

I know some of you guys are good with apartment/room hunting

I just moved into a new place and not really sure I like it. Its not dangerous but it has some issues that I'm not the happiest with (it doesn't feel like home and I don't think it will). I'm on a month to month so I can bail out any time and while I'll probably stay at least one month at the current places will it be supper hard to find a room in october/november or maybe December. I know people say it's always hard to find a roommate then but I didn't know if it was easier to find a place then because of less competition?

I'm planning on not being too stressed about the search and being a bit more pickey because I do have a place to rest for as long as I need it.

I'd be looking for a room with roommates in western brooklyn. The belt from sunset park around prospect park to crown heights. So Sunset, Greenwood Heights, Gowanas, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Fort Greene,Caroll Gardens, Crown Heights. I might also look for a place in williamsburg or greenpoint but that's lower on my search.

You generally only HAVE to tip at restaurants or bars, I almost always tip at coffee shops, but that's because I used to date a barista. From what I notice most people don't actually tip at coffee shops

I don't generally tip at coffee shops. Unless they have a waiter that comes to me I usually skip tipping with the exception of bars.

I usually toss a couple quarters in the tip jar at a coffee shop. I don't think anyone would, like, throw a fit if you didn't tip.

Hm, cheap eats... I really like TAIM if you're going to the Whitney, it's maybe 7 minutes away on foot. Vinny's Pizzeria, M Noodle or Jimmy's Diner in Williamsburg. Basically get away from the center of Manhattan if you want reasonably priced food.

meow

I know some of you guys are good with apartment/room hunting

I just moved into a new place and not really sure I like it. Its not dangerous but it has some issues that I'm not the happiest with (it doesn't feel like home and I don't think it will). I'm on a month to month so I can bail out any time and while I'll probably stay at least one month at the current places will it be supper hard to find a room in october/november or maybe December. I know people say it's always hard to find a roommate then but I didn't know if it was easier to find a place then because of less competition?

I'm planning on not being too stressed about the search and being a bit more pickey because I do have a place to rest for as long as I need it.

I'd be looking for a room with roommates in western brooklyn. The belt from sunset park around prospect park to crown heights. So Sunset, Greenwood Heights, Gowanas, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Fort Greene,Caroll Gardens, Crown Heights. I might also look for a place in williamsburg or greenpoint but that's lower on my search.
I'm just moving to the city myself so no personal experience, but I've now heard from several people who do have personal experience that it's actually better to find a place in the winter months. Less people looking and you can get better prices.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hey NYC-GAF (and US-GAF in general),

I'll be visiting your city for two weeks starting Friday and it being my vacation I will be free to see and do whatever. My current set of plans is to visit museums (Met, MoMa, Guggenheim), eat in various places (mostly inexpensive ones) and just walking around the city. It'll be my first time crossing the Atlantic, so I am somewhat prepared for a mild culture shock. Hopefully I'll manage!

The place I am staying at is in Williamsburg. Main mode of transportation will be on foot and via metro, using one those 7 day Metrocards I read about. Spending money I've set to be around 50 bucks for a day. I won't have every single meal outside, but more than likely 2 of 3 will be just that. Will that suffice if I mostly eat at inexpensive places? The prices in Yelp say "yes", at least. I was also thinking that it would be easier to have that money in cash, so I will be taking around 500 dollars with me, rather than relying on debit/credit cards which might not be accepted everywhere (or so I have read).

You don't have to tip at a coffee shop, but it's appreciated.

If you want some cheap food head to Madison Square Park (Broadway and 23rd) and go to Madison Square Eats. Lots of trendy restaurants set up shop there and serve food for like $10. The park is great and it's just north of the Flatiron building so you'll see one of our architectural landmarks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
$50 should be enough although I would bring backup cash.

Places where tips are very much expected:
Sit down restaurants
Taxis
Delivery (we have a few good websites for food delivery)

Places where its encouraged but very far from mandatory:
Coffeehouses (they'll be satisfied if you just leave the change)
Take out places (pizza, street food)

I'm just moving to the city myself so no personal experience, but I've now heard from several people who do have personal experience that it's actually better to find a place in the winter months. Less people looking and you can get better prices.

Yeah I think there's gonna be less choice but less competition as well.

Jhoan

Today is a as good of a day as ever to bump this thread. My condolences go out to anyone who might have lost loved ones or was in the vicinity 14 years ago this day. It's an important part of our city's history,

I was 12 years old and was in the middle of a social studies class when it happened. We saw smoke from the window of our classroom (this was I.S. 90 on 168th and Jumel Place which overlooked downtown Manhattan from the higher floors). My then teacher, was confused and had stepped out the classroom to see what was going on.

Next thing I knew, class was suddenly dismissed, there was a whole lot of confused students waiting to get picked up by their worried parents, and I was whisked away from school with my mother to go pick up my two older brothers.

It didn't hit me until we got home and turned on the TV expecting to see cartoons what had happened: a crater surrounded in a ugly, thick, black plume of smoke. It was scary, it was shocking, and for the next couple of weeks, that's the only image that was on local broadcast television to assure us that it was real. I would visit the area on a class field trip several months after the event and the aftermath was pretty bad. When I think about 9/11 these days, I always think about a poem by Martin Espada called Alabanza: In Praise of Local 100 because it reminds me that diverse lives that were lost on that day across all borders and colors.

Today things are radically different than they were 14 years ago. A new tower has been built in its place, the second one will be finished in about a year or so, there's the 9/11 Memorial Museum, and the Lower Manhattan area as a whole has recovered. Additionally, the 7 train expansion to 34th and is opening this Sunday as a show of how rapidly our city continues to expand.

We talk a lot about gentrification, rising rents/costs of living, lament about the MTA or the NYPD, and places to see these days but that event is forever embedded into our history. However, we move forward ever resilient with our lives. That's my 2 cents on 9/11 since I typically shy away from this topic. Any discussion on conspiracies should be discussed in the 9/11 conspiracy thread.

A girl Im good friends with from college lost her father on 9/11. Shes been going to the reading of the names of the deceased for some time.

I still remember being yelled at for disrupting class to show the teacher what was going on in 6th grade. Our classroom on the 6th floor in Brooklyn had a view of the NY skyline.

Keasar

Currently in New York and just got back from a showing of The Book of Mormon (fantastic show and also, a fantastic city). I have run into a small problem though that requires a odd solution, does anyone know a place in New York (preferably Manhattan) that has a chip-and-pin/EMV reading machine?

Edit: For when paying with credit cards I mean.

A girl Im good friends with from college lost her father on 9/11. Shes been going to the reading of the names of the deceased for some time.

I still remember being yelled at for disrupting class to show the teacher what was going on in 6th grade. Our classroom on the 6th floor in Brooklyn had a view of the NY skyline.
Damn bro I also was in the 6th grade when this happened. Bushwick. Everyone came in since best view was from classroom.

Damn bro I also was in the 6th grade when this happened. Bushwick. Everyone came in since best view was from classroom.

I was a sophomore in high school in Chinatown. I couldn't even describe the sound of the planes hitting the towers.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I was thinking about it but decided not to. What happened?

There wasn't much to do and it was pretty disorganized. The line for autographs was ~5 hours long. By the end didn't even want to see the movie.

I read a few articles about it on the Village Voice website and the event. The behind the scenes history of the production was really fascinating. Was gonna go but have felt lazy all weekend. Saw that admission was anywhere from $15-$400. How bad was it? I'm picturing cast members having some unsettled beef with each other.

The cast seemed fine. No beef there.

But yeah, if my niece wasn't dead set on getting an autograph, I would've bounced after loitering around a bit. Maybe came back for the movie.

Jhoan

Anyone else go to the Warriors Reunion today? What a shit show.
I read a few articles about it on the Village Voice website and the event. The behind the scenes history of the production was really fascinating. Was gonna go but have felt lazy all weekend. Saw that admission was anywhere from $15-$400. How bad was it? I'm picturing cast members having some unsettled beef with each other that it turned into an impromptu Jerry Springer Show.

Happy to see what a crap shoot that will be for NYCC
Oh boy is that subway station going to be a clusterfuck of a mess come next month! I can only imagine what a bum rush it's going to look like when people are going to be running to the Javits Center.

Speaking of which, I'll have the thread up this week since I've been feeling a lot better from the nasty con flu I got from Waku-Waku. Got loads of old information to overhaul from last year's OT. The Villains event is currently up to RSVP for. I will definitely be at that event.

Well I ended up not getting the job cause of my school schedule. Bummer. It was a pretty good paying job. I've only started school and its ruining me already.

I guess now I'm available to work NYCC now.

Penguin

Checked out the train station, it's so modern looking.
Pretty cool.

But more exciting is all the seating they've added around the area, and I think a playground.

So happy (for now) there's a relatively quiet place I can go and sit and relax during lunch or when want a break from the office.

fancimus

Yeah, I'd like to check out the new 7 station as well...will probably happen if I end up going to NYCC. I recently had an errand to run around Fulton Center, so finally got to see that too. Pretty nice setup.

Penguin

Yeah, I'd like to check out the new 7 station as well...will probably happen if I end up going to NYCC. I recently had an errand to run around Fulton Center, so finally got to see that too. Pretty nice setup.

Nice exterior, still one of my least favorite stations to actually wait in

Top Bottom