• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Peltz

I went hiking in Bear Mountain on Saturday. It was only $25 round trip from Port Authority and it was one of the most fun times I've ever had (gorgeous vistas and cool people). It was only 1.5 hour bus ride too. We were there and back well before dinner while still making it to the top of the mountain. It was great exercise!

If you want to see some natural beauty and get away from NYC for a few hours, I highly recommend you check it out some time. Some highlights from my iPhone camera (which really doesn't do it justice):
11888106_573283082810839_6271977176580469045_n.jpg

11913505_573265656145915_2442213420803057459_n.jpg

11889684_573283012810846_8305218803575360815_n.jpg

Jhoan

not a fan of corporate chain restaurants. even in Dallas, local pizza chain > corporate chain. I am open to local pizza chains in Manhattan as well. I've got time to spare.
Might I suggest Artichoke Pizza then? It's YMMV on whether you'll like it or not, but it is one of the more unique pizza places amid the droves of local pizza joints and Famous Ray's in Manhattan.

I think you'll like it: http://www.yelp.com/biz/artichoke-basilles-pizza-new-york-2

I went hiking in Bear Mountain on Saturday. It was only $25 round trip from Port Authority and it was one of the most fun times I've ever had (gorgeous vistas and cool people). It was only 1.5 hour bus ride too. We were there and back well before dinner while still making it to the top of the mountain. It was great exercise!

If you want to see some natural beauty and get away from NYC for a few hours, I highly recommend you check it out some time. Some highlights from my iPhone camera:
That's pretty awesome! Fantastic pictures; they remind me of being in my family's hometown in the Dominican Republic---Jarabacoa. I always get nostalgia when I see pics of mountains.

I've been meaning to go check out the Greater New York area that's known for its famous mountains since I've never to upstate NY before (unless you count The Poconos). It sounds like a pretty fun trip out there.

As someone who gets sick and tired of seeing the Hudson/Jersey every single day, that sounds like a very refreshing trip. I'll make a note of that and add it to the OP for reference. $25 is not bad at all since it sounds like a good $25 well spent. Gonna see if I do it before October. Thanks for sharing!

If you want to see some natural beauty and get away from NYC for a few hours, I highly recommend you check it out some time. Some highlights from my iPhone camera (which really doesn't do it justice):

Bear Mountain is gorgeous. Haven't been there in a few years myself. A return trip is definitely in order!

Lot of great hikes in Harriman (park that Bear Mtn is located in) as well as Minnewaska and, of course, the Catskills themselves.

Drove up to Saratoga Springs this weekend for a wedding and I'd love to go back and explore the area at my own pace. Lots of mineral spas(?).

Does the park still not allow barbequing?

I haven't gone up there in about 10-12 years. Back then, the parks would allow for certain areas for people to set up a picnic area and BBQ. We stopped going up there when it was no longer allowed.

Jhoan

Now I'm definitely going to put $25 on the side for next month to go. You guys are doing a good increasing my interest. I gotta cut back on dating for next month. xD

On another note, I'm going to hit up Buddha Bar tonight in The Heights for the first time ever despite walking by there a billion times. Gonna see if I make it before Happy Hour ends at 8 so I can save money on regular priced drinks. Going to be meeting up with a girl who lives in the area so it should be fun. :) Apartment 78 was pretty packed this Saturday.

And another reminder that the New York Comic Con Heroes event is this Wednesday night from in Latitude from 7PM-9PM. If anyone is going to go let me know. I'm stoked for it if nothing else than for the raffle prizes and to speak to some friends I haven't seen in a while. I'll probably be wearing a GAF shirt.

Great photos. Definitely interested. Lets get a gaf group going lol

Peltz

Does the park still not allow barbequing?

I haven't gone up there in about 10-12 years. Back then, the parks would allow for certain areas for people to set up a picnic area and BBQ. We stopped going up there when it was no longer allowed.

There was a barbecue and small fly-fishing area right next to the pond as of this weekend. There were dozens of families/groups set up there.

Might I suggest Artichoke Pizza then? It's YMMV on whether you'll like it or not, but it is one of the more unique pizza places amid the droves of local pizza joints and Famous Ray's in Manhattan.

I think you'll like it: http://www.yelp.com/biz/artichoke-basilles-pizza-new-york-2

Maybe it's just me but the idea of arriving at the airport, getting to Manhattan, going to Artichoke, going back to the airport and then going through security/etc. seems like more of a pain than it's worth. Artichoke is decent though.

Peltz

I'll make a note of that and add it to the OP for reference. $25 is not bad at all since it sounds like a good $25 well spent. Gonna see if I do it before October. Thanks for sharing!

Anytime! I'm heading back up there for Oktoberfest because apparently they have a very big celebration up there. Here's a link to the round trip bus ticket for the OP:

https://www.coachusa.com/shortline/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&TRP=1&productId=1983

Here's the Oktoberfest info:

http://www.visitbearmountain.com/calendar.htm

Kilrathi

Upstate NY and the north fork of long island is nice as well(well past RiverHead) .

There was a barbecue and small fly-fishing area right next to the pond as of this weekend. There were dozens of families/groups set up there.

Good to know, I'm gonna grab some friends, a cooler, and a mini grill and go nuts before the end of summer.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
And another reminder that the New York Comic Con Heroes event is this Wednesday night from in Latitude from 7PM-9PM. If anyone is going to go let me know. I'm stoked for it if nothing else than for the raffle prizes and to speak to some friends I haven't seen in a while. I'll probably be wearing a GAF shirt.
Debated whether I was going on not, but I realized I'm taking vacation in the worst time possible and need to make sure everything's taken cared at the office beforehand.
Upstate NY and the north fork of long island is nice as well(well past RiverHead) .
I took a week to go up to Saratoga and the Lake Placid area last year. Definitely recommend it to people if they want a longer excursion outside the city. Also, Lake Placid has a pretty awesome gastropub.

Penguin

I believe I signed up for that

Need to check my calender

Kilrathi

Going to be in the city but not going to free at that time.

Jhoan

Damn, I just realized that I forgot to RSVP this whole time. I wonder if they'll have space because no-shows are bound to happen. If anything, I might set up some alternate plans as a back up plan.

Penguin

Damn, I just realized that I forgot to RSVP this whole time. I wonder if they'll have space because no-shows are bound to happen. If anything, I might set up some alternate plans as a back up plan.

Yeah thought I RSVPed... but no e-mail about it...

So who knows

Jhoan

I already contacted the other person I was going to meet up with though just in case. Maybe I jumped the gun too quickly doing that but it'll ultimately depend on what she says.

I was just stranded for a day in New York, I didn't even think of looking at neogaf.

Now that I'm home I'm seeing that op would've helped immensely.

Peltz

I was just stranded for a day in New York, I didn't even think of looking at neogaf.

Now that I'm home I'm seeing that op would've helped immensely.

You're never really "stranded" when you're in NYC. There's almost always something fun to do even with limited funds.

I was just curious cause there isn't a lot of places in NYC, outside of your own homes that offer space for table top gaming.

I found a place in Brooklyn in which people play at. I went there once to check it out. Guy turned his first floor home into a gaming area so there's a lot of tables and space. I believe they have space for card games and such but not sure about role playing. They got people playing warhammer, Saga, Infinity, X-wing, and i think they're starting Bolt Action.

http://www.nubrandgaming.com/

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I was just curious cause there isn't a lot of places in NYC, outside of your own homes that offer space for table top gaming.

I found a place in Brooklyn in which people play at. I went there once to check it out. Guy turned his first floor home into a gaming area so there's a lot of tables and space. I believe they have space for card games and such but not sure about role playing. They got people playing warhammer, Saga, Infinity, X-wing, and i think they're starting Bolt Action.

Looks pretty cool.

There's a few other places that offer table space... Twenty Sided Store, Brooklyn Strategist, Compleat Strategist, Brooklyn Game Lab. The latter is really a place for kids, but I think they do adult free-play stuff at night.

Jhoan

I smell a future tabletop game themed GAF meet up brewing up. Never really raised around tabletop gaming save for Monopoly and playing cards but I would totally be down to play some board games since it's been a while since I played something.

Something about reading complex rules turned me off from it as someone who designed a board game for a game design class. Even when I was at PAX East, I largely ignored the tabletop section but heard lots of great things about it.

So what's the best Mexican takeout you've had in NYC? My favorite dive is New York Bakery, a tiny family-run Mexican place in midtown west. It's cheap and phenomenally tasty. Anyone else been there?

Jhoan

A tiny hole in a wall of Mexican restaurant in the Heights called Tacos El Paisa that I have listed in the OP. A Mexican girl (literally from Mexico) I went out with recently was telling me that she refuses to eat at any Mexican restaurant in the city because it wouldn't compare to the real thing back home but loves eating pupusas from Salvadoran restaurants. *shrug*

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
there's a Mexican diner near old place off the Grand St L in bk that was bonkers delicious

it's probably a Duane Reade now -_-

GiJoccin

There's a few other places that offer table space... Twenty Sided Store, Brooklyn Strategist, Compleat Strategist, Brooklyn Game Lab.

Twenty sided store no longer has table space, they're redoing it and from what they told me, they won't have it available much in the future outside of events

So what's the best Mexican takeout you've had in NYC? My favorite dive is New York Bakery, a tiny family-run Mexican place in midtown west. It's cheap and phenomenally tasty. Anyone else been there?

El Atoradero in the Bronx, they got forced out due to a rent hike a few weeks back and will be reopening in Brooklyn... So excited, legit Mexican food

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Heading up to Lake George tomorrow with the fam for the weekend.

It's been years since I encountered nature. Literally years.

chris121580

My fiance and I are flying into NYC next Thursday. This is my first time ever being there and I'm from Indy so I'm used to the midwest. I fully expect to be overwhelmed when I get there but am very excited to see the city. Going there is part of a birthday celebration for her and I bought her this, which has great reviews and seems like a fantastic way to see a lot of the major parts of the city. Has anyone else done this? It sounds awesome!

http://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/New-York-City-Night-On-The-Town-Tour/d687-2625NOTT

My fiance and I are flying into NYC next Thursday. This is my first time ever being there and I'm from Indy so I'm used to the midwest. I fully expect to be overwhelmed when I get there but am very excited to see the city. Going there is part of a birthday celebration for her and I bought her this, which has great reviews and seems like a fantastic way to see a lot of the major parts of the city. Has anyone else done this? It sounds awesome!

http://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/New-York-City-Night-On-The-Town-Tour/d687-2625NOTT

Seems like a decent deal to see all of the obvious tourist destinations. Although I did chuckle at "Enjoy a traditional Italian dinner at Grotta Azzurra, 3.5*-rated on Yelp and Tripadvisor."

Peltz

If you are vegetarian... or rather just enjoy good food, check out Candle 79 in the UES. I went with my girlfriend recently and even though I'm usually an omnivore, found it to be one of the best meals I've had in recent memory.

It's a bit pricey and on the higher-scale of things, but it makes for a nice special occasion.

Are you from Indianapolis or from a rural area?

In my humble opinion, the best way to experience NYC isn't with a tour guide. You can do the High Line without paying for a walking guide and experiencing NYC is better done walking, not from a coach bus. The rest sounds like great ideas for a birthday date.

chris121580

Are you from Indianapolis or from a rural area?

In my humble opinion, the best way to experience NYC isn't with a tour guide. You can do the High Line without paying for a walking guide and experiencing NYC is better done walking, not from a coach bus. The rest sounds like great ideas for a birthday date.

I'm from an area about 20 min north of Indianapolis. I agree with what you first said but since it's part of the package, I can't really complain. We may go back to places if we have time to do things on our own terms. I'm really excited about the top of the Rockafeller Center. I love city lights at night and have a feeling my mind will be blown up there

edit: Also, is the Gordon Ramsay restaurant worth checking out? I'm a huge fan of him but it seems overpriced and reviews aren't great

GiJoccin

I'm from an area about 20 min north of Indianapolis. I agree with what you first said but since it's part of the package, I can't really complain. We may go back to places if we have time to do things on our own terms. I'm really excited about the top of the Rockafeller Center. I love city lights at night and have a feeling my mind will be blown up there

edit: Also, is the Gordon Ramsay restaurant worth checking out? I'm a huge fan of him but it seems overpriced and reviews aren't great

Either check out the places in the OP, or maybe any place from here http://ny.eater.com/maps/best-new-york-restaurants-38
Im on mobile so its hard for me to link it properly

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'

The best, bar none, is Taqueria Tlaxcalli in the Bronx. It is ridiculously good.

I would honestly dare anyone to compare their favorite place to it.

I host a board game night on the first Saturday of every month for big groups and typically play the rest of the Saturdays with a small group of friends, then D&D Adventure Series every Monday.

They only place we've ever hung out at was The Uncommons. It was cool but its a really cramped space. We checked out the Twenty Sided Store recently and they are doing renovations so their gaming space was shut down for now.

I'm curious about this Nu Brand Gaming setup..I dont see any pics on the site. I have considered doing something similiar in my house if my first floor tenants ever decide to move out I want to convert the whole apartment and backyard into a gaming space/cafe.

Any restaurant that is celebrity chef backed is overrated. You're paying for the name.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...kibosh-midtown-hotel-eatery-article-1.1967958

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/maze/

My husband and I came to this restaurant for our anniversary. The food was such a disappointed from appetizers to our entree. Our Wellington was over cooked our appetizers were not seasoned very bland. Just disappointing I expected higher standards for the food.

I'd peruse that NY Eater list. Katz Deli and Peter Luger's are NY staples.

Are you looking for French food specifically or just a fancy high end restaurant experience?

I host a board game night on the first Saturday of every month for big groups and typically play the rest of the Saturdays with a small group of friends, then D&D Adventure Series every Monday.

They only place we've ever hung out at was The Uncommons. It was cool but its a really cramped space. We checked out the Twenty Sided Store recently and they are doing renovations so their gaming space was shut down for now.

I'm curious about this Nu Brand Gaming setup..I dont see any pics on the site. I have considered doing something similiar in my house if my first floor tenants ever decide to move out I want to convert the whole apartment and backyard into a gaming space/cafe.

There's slides on front page but it doesn't show all the rooms and stuff. Its really hard to miss the place cause its just a house but when he's open, you can see gaming tables and the people through the front window.

good call, i live right around there so i'll check it ou

Hey neighbor! Me too. Although I'm moving to Cali next month.

The burgers are great, skip the sloppy joe and the sides on the special board are usually better than the burnt broccoli which is good not great. Some of the sides are insanely good.

Top Bottom