• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Donald Trump Is Said to Intend to Keep a Stake in His Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Long piece: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/us/politics/trump-organization-ivanka-trump.html?_r=0

President-elect Donald J. Trump is considering formally turning over the operational responsibility for his real estate company to his two adult sons, but he intends to keep a stake in the business and resist calls to divest, according to several people briefed on the discussions.

Under a plan now being considered by the Trump family and its lawyers, Ivanka Trump, Mr. Trump’s elder daughter, would also take a leave of absence from the Trump Organization, in the surest sign that she is exploring a potential move to Washington with her husband, Jared Kushner. Mr. Kushner is discussing an as-yet undetermined role advising his father-in-law, and Ms. Trump plans on being an advocate on issues in which she has a personal interest, like child care.

Before deciding how to separate from her father’s business, Ms. Trump is also assessing how to disentangle from her apparel and licensing brands, which are named for her, two people briefed on her plans said. She plans on appointing a president of her company to run the day-to-day operations.
None of the plans have been completed, and it remains uncertain precisely what the president-elect will reveal next week at an expected news conference at which he has said he will discuss “leaving my great business in total in order to fully focus on running the country.”

Aides to Ms. Trump and to Mr. Trump’s transition team declined to comment.

Legal opinions:
Jan W. Baran, a leading Republican ethics lawyer, said that even though the law was clearly on Mr. Trump’s side, there were no easy answers on what he should do about his financial holdings.

If he keeps a stake in his company, persistent questions about whether he is acting in the country’s interest or his business interest will be “unavoidable,” Mr. Baran said.

On the other hand, Mr. Baran said, if Mr. Trump decides to divest, that raises other questions. “Who are you going sell it to?” he said. “Does selling his stake eliminate the ethical issues, or does it compound them?”

There will also be lingering questions related to Mr. Trump’s children, depending on the structure the family settles on for running the company, Mr. Baran added.

As outlined, the plan could leave in place many of the potential conflicts of interest growing out of a real estate and licensing business that spans at least 20 nations, in places like India, Indonesia and Turkey.
Richard W. Painter, who served as the chief White House ethics lawyer under President George W. Bush from 2005 to 2007, and who is planning to police the Trump administration in a role with the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, noted that the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution prohibits government officials from accepting gifts and payments from foreign governments or corporations controlled by foreign governments.

Investments or loans from foreign state-controlled financial institutions, even diplomats staying at or hosting events at Trump hotel properties, could run afoul of that clause, Mr. Painter said.

Mr. Trump will also have to take care to ensure that concessions that benefit his company are not construed as a bribe intended to influence official action. Mr. Painter said that even setting aside the legal questions, everything Mr. Trump does will be filtered through the lens of how he stands to benefit financially.

“There are ways to make it work legally, but the appearances are going to be terrible and it’s going to be a four-year ethical challenge,” Mr. Painter said.

MIMIC

Banned
I wish Trump would just come out and say that he didn't think he would win, which is why he has no intentions of removing himself from the Trump brand (at least that's my theory)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I wish Trump would just come out and say that he didn't think he would win, which is why he has no intentions of removing himself from the Trump brand (at least that's my theory)

I totally think Trump never thought he would win and I still feel like he has not real interest in being the President.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Under a plan now being considered by the Trump family and its lawyers, Ivanka Trump, Mr. Trump’s elder daughter, would also take a leave of absence from the Trump Organization, in the surest sign that she is exploring a potential move to Washington with her husband, Jared Kushner. Mr. Kushner is discussing an as-yet undetermined role advising his father-in-law, and Ms. Trump plans on being an advocate on issues in which she has a personal interest, like child care.

Before deciding how to separate from her father’s business, Ms. Trump is also assessing how to disentangle from her apparel and licensing brands, which are named for her, two people briefed on her plans said. She plans on appointing a president of her company to run the day-to-day operations.
Farces upon farces.

Time to go to court to decisively determine whether the nepotism laws apply to the White House.

CHC

Well yeah, this limp-dicked nation didn't do anything when he failed to release his tax returns, failed to disavow the racists he has emboldened, failed to

Ya know what I can't

RPGCrazied

This loser is going to break that clause first couple of weeks in office. Just get the impeachment papers ready.

This loser is going to break that clause first couple of weeks in office. Just get the impeachment papers ready.

Makes you wonder who is holding the papers. I'm sure the democrats will try, but one wonders if the republicans have impeachment papers on standby in case things get bad with Trump.

Or even if they've threatened him with it. I wonder if Trump would even care.

Trump owes a bunch of banks a lot of money. I think I remember an article saying he owes the Bank of China and Goldman Sachs( talk about irony). On top of that this is a man who freely admitted of National TV he does not pay taxes. This whole presidency is gonna be one giant conflict of interests considering we have never had a president in this much debt to so many financial institutions. This whole business with him and his businesses is just the tip of the iceberg that will be the Trump administration and America is the titanic.

watershed

Banned
Does America truly deserve Donald Trump, this awful administration he is forming, and the deterioration of all our social and political norms? Have we collectively been so negligent in our civic duty and shared responsibility for each other that we essentially earned this Trump presidency? Like, for so many reasons we had this coming?

Does America truly deserve Donald Trump, this awful administration he is forming, and the deterioration of all our social and political norms? Have we collectively been so negligent in our civic duty and shared responsibility for each other that we essentially earned this Trump presidency? Like, for so many reasons we had this coming?

If he actually won the PV by a significant margin, maybe. Just like how we "didn't deserve" Obama. I think everybody deserves a good, or more humbly, non-evil leader.

I was under the impression that the Trump Organisation was a wholly family owned private entity. So by "a stake" he means complete ownership?

Yes. The overwhelming majority of America's eligible voters either backed Trump or chose not to vote against him.

watershed

Banned
If he actually won the PV by a significant margin, maybe. Just like how we "didn't deserve" Obama. I think everybody deserves a good, or more humbly, non-evil leader.
I see what you mean but our system is what it is. He won fair and sqaure. Hillary lost fair and square according to the present rules and conditions. I think Obama was the right person at the right time. Can we say the same for Trump? Of course it's complicated and Hillary could have won, etc but that didn't happen and Trump didn't happen over night. The disregard for truth, the loss of civility in politics, these dynamics propelled Trump.

Jesus Christ dude, just cut ties. You're gonna be the freaking American president. Where do you go from here? What more does this one man possibly want out of life.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jesus Christ dude, just cut ties. You're gonna be the freaking American president. Where do you go from here? What more does this one man possibly want out of life.
The love and respect of his father, which he clearly never received.

The fact that he has been running for President for 20 months now and never even had an IDEA as to what he would do with this if he won is just beyond staggering to me.

I mean his dad cut him like $3M to start his business fresh out of college.

He might not be the hugs and kisses type but, my daddy don't love me enough to loan me $3M dollars.

Ploid 3.0

When he has to chose between serving America, or making sure his company becomes more profitable I wonder which choice he will make.

Caja 117

Maybe this is what America deserve, a good portion played the both side game and those ended up not voting or going to third party, but I wont be surprised if this doesnt teach the lesson, between his tweets, fake news and maybe even avoiding press confference like he is doing now, He could easyly go for 8 years....

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The love and respect of his father, which he clearly never received.

To be fair, he is a complete loser compared to Fred.

Blader

Why would he even bother to divest? Republicans control Congress and Paul Ryan has publicly said he doesn't care about Trump's conflicts of interest. Any mechanisms to prevent this kleptocracy will go untouched for at least two years and Trump knows it. Of course he'll keep a stake in his company.

pghero

Neo Member
I thought it was reported that he was transferring ownership of his businesses over to his kids.

I mean, yeah, he still has a "connection" to the businesses (his blood), but who knows - it could be great optics from a "transparency" standpoint.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought it was reported that he was transferring ownership of his businesses over to his kids.

I mean, yeah, he still has a "connection" to the businesses (his blood), but who knows - it could be great optics from a "transparency" standpoint.
I don't believe he's ever said a damned thing about transferring ownership. He said he'd set up a so-called blind trust with his kids running the business, which is not at all how a blind trust works.

Jeffrey

So what can be done about it?

There doesn't seem to be any laws against it for president, and a GOP government won't do shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom