• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Donald Trump Is Said to Intend to Keep a Stake in His Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Is it 2020 yet.
-Be Trump
-China demands money
-Right before the end of 2019, start a war with China
-Get re-elected as a war president.

America is stuck with Drumpf no matter what happens.

REqSIf2.png

RinsFury

Of course he is. The Presidency will just be an another brand to add to his business collection. Trump Water, Trump Steaks, Trump Wine, Trump Presidency, etc.

Trump has already realized that he can do anything he wants. The media is completely incapable of holding him accountable, or making enough of a stink about the variety of conflicts of interests for him to actually fear doing this.

He's going to simply just redefine the whole thing to his advantage by saying 'I'm a citizen of this country just like anyone else. Why can't I as President of the United States have a stake or major controlling stake in a business, especially one I built from the ground up through years of hard work? I will always act in the best interest of the country before I ever act in the interest of my business, but it should be expected that I will make what I feel are good decisions for my business Where things start to seem fuzzy along the edges I will let the lawyers figure that stuff out.'

And guess what? Just like that, that will be the end of it. It will earn Trump all kinds of false outrage news coverage, which in reality is really positive coverage because they will be oh so fascinated by the fact that he's even doing this in the first place, and the drama over it is going to be fantastic for news and ratings. I always knew this would happen.

'I'm a citizen of this country just like anyone else. Why can't I as President of the United States have a stake or major controlling stake in a business, especially one I built from the ground up through years of hard work? I will always act in the best interest of the country before I ever act in the interest of my business, but it should be expected that I will make what I feel are good decisions for my business Where things start to seem fuzzy along the edges I will let the lawyers figure that stuff out.'

The vocabulary is too varied.

It's hard to say what the reaction will be, but the precedent the media's set has been abysmal to say the least.

Good. I'm willing to see how far Trumper's will go to defend their team.

Problem is they just really don't listen at all. As soon as they hear "Trump" it automatically affects how they hear the news that follows like "people are just hounding him and making a dig deal out of nothing"

It's frustrating as hell but that's modern polarized politics.

Problem is they just really don't listen at all. As soon as they hear "Trump" it automatically affects how they hear the news that follows like "people are just hounding him and making a dig deal out of nothing"

It's frustrating as hell but that's modern polarized politics.

To expand on this I just had someone explaining that Comey's announcement of reopenning the email investigation was actually a ploy to make Trump look bad but backfired.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh

Magilla

Banned
I love that this is so unsurprising that it is only a 2 page thread when if it was any other President it would be at least 20. Wait, I said love but I mean the other thing.

99Luffy

Banned
I love that this is so unsurprising that it is only a 2 page thread when if it was any other President it would be at least 20. Wait, I said love but I mean the other thing.
To be honest the whole thing about how presidents are expected to cut off all ties with their family business always seemed weird to me. It sends the message that only career politicians should be president.

To be honest the whole thing about how presidents are expected to cut off all ties with their family business always seemed weird to me. It sends the message that only career politicians should be president.

You can profit. Off of how you run. The country. And its relations. With the world.

Decision with most profit ! = best decision for the American people.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

You don't see the conflict of interest here?

digdug2k

Conflicts of interest only matter if you're a democrat... or a woman... or black? I can't keep it striaght anymore.

Remember when Carter was forced to sell his goddamn peanut farm because ethics?

Republicans have ZERO ethics. Everything is partisan.

Xisiqomelir

The love and respect of his father, which he clearly never received.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/trump-seriously-20150909

"So here's a story I've never told," he says, warming to the memory of that triumph. "When I was building Trump Tower, my father stood across the street and said, 'Don't use glass and bronze, use brick. It's better, less expensive, and no one cares about the outside. All they care about is the size of the closets!' " Trump laughs and shakes his head in mordant wonder, as if to say, Oh, the humanity.

Hasn't he always phrased it in saying he will give up management?

1) He will give up anything that overtly reveals his influence over his conflicts of interest.
2) He will profit immensely during his kleptocracy.
3) The rest of the Republican Party will go along with it if they keep their seats, or they suspect they will.

I mean, he doesn't have to divest. Maybe legally he must from some of his companies, but certainly not all.

I feel like people are going to be getting some serious reality checks soon. The reality is that he won.

ChryZ

Shameless, that orange shit stain will not be the President of the United States. It will be the President of the Unprecedented Self-Interest.

Ivanka Trump, Mr. Trump’s elder daughter, would also take a leave of absence from the Trump Organization, in the surest sign that she is exploring a potential move to Washington with her husband, Jared Kushner.

Man

Isn't there some law that prevents this sort of blatant nepotism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom