• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: "Why the U.S. Has Fallen Behind in Internet Speed and Affordability"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Why the U.S. Has Fallen Behind in Internet Speed and Affordability

SURPRISE! It's lack of competition!

America’s slow and expensive Internet is more than just an annoyance for people trying to watch “Happy Gilmore” on Netflix. Largely a consequence of monopoly providers, the sluggish service could have long-term economic consequences for American competitiveness.

Downloading a high-definition movie takes about seven seconds in Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Zurich, Bucharest and Paris, and people pay as little as $30 a month for that connection. In Los Angeles, New York and Washington, downloading the same movie takes 1.4 minutes for people with the fastest Internet available, and they pay $300 a month for the privilege, according to The Cost of Connectivity, a report published Thursday by the New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute.

The report compares Internet access in big American cities with access in Europe and Asia. Some surprising smaller American cities — Chattanooga, Tenn.; Kansas City (in both Kansas and Missouri); Lafayette, La.; and Bristol, Va. — tied for speed with the biggest cities abroad. In each, the high-speed Internet provider is not one of the big cable or phone companies that provide Internet to most of the United States, but a city-run network or start-up service.

The reason the United States lags many countries in both speed and affordability, according to people who study the issue, has nothing to do with technology. Instead, it is an economic policy problem — the lack of competition in the broadband industry.

“It’s just very simple economics,” said Tim Wu, a professor at Columbia Law School who studies antitrust and communications and was an adviser to the Federal Trade Commission. “The average market has one or two serious Internet providers, and they set their prices at monopoly or duopoly pricing.”

For relatively high-speed Internet at 25 megabits per second, 75 percent of homes have one option at most, according to the Federal Communications Commission — usually Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T or Verizon. It’s an issue anyone who has shopped for Internet knows well, and it is even worse for people who live in rural areas. It matters not just for entertainment; an Internet connection is necessary for people to find and perform jobs, and to do new things in areas like medicine and education.

“Stop and let that sink in: Three-quarters of American homes have no competitive choice for the essential infrastructure for 21st-century economics and democracy,” Tom Wheeler, chairman of the F.C.C., said in a speech last month.

The situation arose from this conundrum: Left alone, will companies compete, or is regulation necessary?

In many parts of Europe, the government tries to foster competition by requiring that the companies that own the pipes carrying broadband to people’s homes lease space in their pipes to rival companies. (That policy is based on the work of Jean Tirole, who won the Nobel Prize in economics this month in part for his work on regulation and communications networks.)

In the United States, the Federal Communications Commission in 2002 reclassified high-speed Internet access as an information service, which is unregulated, rather than as telecommunications, which is regulated. Its hope was that Internet providers would compete with one another to provide the best networks. That didn’t happen. The result has been that they have mostly stayed out of one another’s markets.

When New America ranked cities by the average speed of broadband plans priced between $35 and $50 a month, the top three cities, Seoul, Hong Kong and Paris, offered speeds 10 times faster than the United States cities. (In some places, like Seoul, the government subsidizes Internet access to keep prices low.)

The divide is not just with the fastest plans. At nearly every speed, Internet access costs more in the United States than in Europe, according to the report. American Internet users are also much more likely than those in other countries to pay an additional fee, about $100 a year in many cities, to rent a modem that costs less than $100 in a store.

“More competition, better technologies and increased quality of service on wireline networks help to drive down prices,” said Nick Russo, a policy program associate studying broadband pricing at the Open Technology Institute and co-author of the report.

There is some disagreement about that conclusion, including from Richard Bennett, a visiting fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a critic of those who say Internet service providers need more regulation. He argued that much of the slowness is caused not by broadband networks but by browsers, websites and high usage.

Yet it is telling that in the cities with the fastest Internet in the United States, according to New America, the incumbent companies are not providing the service. In Kansas City, it comes from Google. In Chattanooga, Lafayette and Bristol, it comes through publicly owned networks.

In each case, the networks are fiber-optic, which transfer data exponentially faster than cable networks. The problem is that installing fiber networks requires a huge investment of money and work, digging up streets and sidewalks, building a new network and competing with the incumbents. (That explains why super-rich Google has been one of the few private companies to do it.)

The big Internet providers have little reason to upgrade their entire networks to fiber because there has so far been little pressure from competitors or regulators to do so, said Susan Crawford, a visiting professor at Harvard Law School and author of “Captive Audience: Telecom Monopolies in the New Gilded Age.”

There are signs of a growing movement for cities to build their own fiber networks and lease the fiber to retail Internet providers. Some, like San Antonio, already have fiber in place, but there are policies restricting them from using it to offer Internet services to consumers. Other cities, like Santa Monica, Calif., have been laying fiber during other construction projects.

In certain cities, the threat of new Internet providers has spurred the big, existing companies to do something novel: increase the speeds they offer and build up their own fiber networks.

When gaffers from outside the US start posting their speeds and what they pay for them it makes me want to cry. I live in LA county and we have Time Warner only. No real option.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I guess that could be the case... but in the case of high-speed countries like Korea, it was achieved by government incentive. So it wasn't really a glorious open and free market that made them leaders... it was aggressive government involvement.

Dalek

I guess that could be the case... but in the case of high-speed countries like Korea, it was achieved by government incentive. So it wasn't really a glorious open and free market that made them leaders... it was aggressive government involvement.

Right but that's what we need in America. We can't GET competition because the companies have paid off the government to allow monopolies abd duopolies.

Branduil

There is some disagreement about that conclusion, including from Richard Bennett, a visiting fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a critic of those who say Internet service providers need more regulation. He argued that much of the slowness is caused not by broadband networks but by browsers, websites and high usage.

In other news, Richard Bennett is an idiot.

tauke

Hohohoho my country glorious monopolistic internet is more worst than US. The cheapest fiber-optic broadband is 5Mbps and already cost on average 10% of a fresh grad salary.

That also doesn't include a stable internet connection.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pretty much.

The ISP are allowed to run around and do whatever they want because the barrier of entry is so high in this space that no one will bother creating a competing service. The FCC really needs to reclassify the ISPs under Title 2.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Right but that's what we need in America. We can't GET competition because the companies have paid off the government to allow monopolies abd duopolies.

Yeah I guess it's basically... if the government supported 1 or 2 companies with the strings attached that they roll out the internet with a certain level of quality, that works.

But if they aren't going to do that, better the government get out of the way completely and allow any number of competitors to compete to create the best service.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I think the megaBITS vs megaBYTES is one of the worse things out there. People don't understand things, and they go by numbers being big but not correlating to their use.

StuKen

Yeah I guess it's basically... if the government supported 1 or 2 companies with the strings attached that they roll out the internet with a certain level of quality, that works.

But if they aren't going to do that, better the government get out of the way completely and allow any number of competitors to compete to create the best service.

A monopoly is by definition market failure. Yet you expect a competitor to appear and the existing power structures within the failed market to allow it to complete. They will crush it. At this point external intervention is required and that needs to be done at a regulatory level.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The problem with them getting out of the way is the absolutely huge cost barrier preventing new ISPs. It's not like you or me could just start an ISP. Short of Google, no one has the money or the willingness to take the risk. So the only real solution is more government intervention.

A monopoly is by definition market failure. Yet you expect a competitor to appear and the existing power structures within the failed market to allow it to complete. They will crush it. At this point external intervention is required and that needs to be done at a regulatory level.

It's not the presence of a monopoly that stops competitors starting up in this sector, but the cost that comes with entering it in the first place. Google does extremely well in the markets they enter as an ISP, and forces competitors to offer better services at a better cost, the problem is their expansion is very slow due to the cost of entering that market. You are right that real regulation is the only solution though.

DBT85

When gaffers from outside the US start posting their speeds and what they pay for them it makes me want to cry. I live in LA county and we have Time Warner only. No real option.

I get 40Mb (4.5MB/s) and it costs me £20 a month on top of my typical satellite/phone subscription :) Unlimited usage. I could double that for an extra £10 a month.

Sorry =/

Worst thing is there are other countries with even better deals.

jwhit28

In NC a town called Wilson started a community ISP over a public fiber optic network named Greenlight that cost less and had better speeds than Time Warner Cable or Century Link. Shortly after the telecoms got a new bill passed that makes it much harder to start municipal ISPs because it's too hard for them to compete.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08/27/4101819_wilson-asks-fcc-to-override-nc.html?rh=1

North Carolina’s law, called the Level Playing Field legislation, prohibits local governments from subsidizing municipal broadband from other funds, bars pricing the service below the cost of providing it, requires public hearings and referendums to borrow money, and requires municipal broadband operators to make payments equivalent to taxes and fees paid by for-profit competitors.

It's okay to provide power, water, gas, and other utilities for your towns, but not telecommunication.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In NC a town called Wilson started a community ISP over a public fiber optic network named Greenlight that cost less and had better speeds than Time Warner Cable or Century Link. Shortly after the telecoms got a new bill passed that makes it much harder to start municipal ISPs because it's too hard for them to compete.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/08/27/4101819_wilson-asks-fcc-to-override-nc.html?rh=1

It's okay to provide power, water, gas, and other utilities for your towns, but not telecommunication.

Hence the push by many in the tech community for the FCC to classify ISPs under Title 2, which would allow us to treat them exactly like other utilities.

Toki767

Google Fiber needs to roll out in more areas. Honestly they need to get it into the major cities if there's any chance for the bigger ISPs to offer faster speeds at cheaper prices.

how is prohibiting competition a level playing field?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Google Fiber needs to roll out in more areas. Honestly they need to get it into the major cities if there's any chance for the bigger ISPs to offer faster speeds at cheaper prices.

The ISPs would only adjust the prices in the areas with Google Fiber, they'd have no reason to do it in areas without it. Why throw away all that money?

how is prohibiting competition a level playing field?

It's not but dollar bills speak louder than words.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I dunno. The competition is moving slowly, but I think some providers have realized that their pissant DSL services are dying vs Cable. Especially with the satellite networks trying to bundle with telco's are getting a nasty wake up call.

Locally Centruylink has begun to roll out gigabit internet service in some areas. Hopefully that stuff starts happening more and makes Comcast etc sweat a bit in turn.

Prototype

Where I live you have 2 choices, xfinity or century link, at a max of 50 mbps for 50$ a month.

If you don't like it you don't get Internet.

I never will understand how the government allows stuff like this to happen.

cajunator

Banned

That was also done in Lafayette and Chattanooga and Provo.
I think all of those cities also offer gigabit speeds now too.

Heres our LUS fiber pricing tier
http://www.lusfiber.com/index.php/internet/pricing-guide

Kite

Being an insanely large country with lots of empty spots doesn't help. In the future I can see certain cities getting super fast internet but to cover the entire US out to even the rural areas.. I can't imagine it.

Xeno_V

I always knew that things in the US are bad, but when I visited this year I was really shocked by how much people pay for crappy internet and TV.
I should be pretty happy that I pay 10EUR ($12-13) for 50mbits (optic fibre) and by paying like 18 EUR I could have 150mbits.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I always knew that things in the US are bad, but when I visited this year I was really shocked by how much people pay for crappy internet and TV.
I should be pretty happy that I pay 10EUR ($12-13) for 50mbits (optic fibre) and by paying like 18 EUR I could have 150mbits.

In all fairness, those are killer deals in a good chunk of Europe.

jwhit28

That was also done in Lafayette and Chattanooga and Provo.
I think all of those cities also offer gigabit speeds now too.

Heres our LUS fiber pricing tier
http://www.lusfiber.com/index.php/internet/pricing-guide

I think as many as 35 cities ended up commenting to the FCC against the laws. I'm not sure if municipal owned ISPs is the answer, but it's easy to see the big telecoms have no interest in real competition. I would love to see the government own the infrastructure and then license it out to pay for up keep and expansion similarly to how cell phone MVNOs work. Or maybe force MVNO type agreements onto the TWCs, Comcast, etc.

Ireland has very decent internet

Assuming you don't live on a farm or something

Mine is 75mps unlimited for €40 a month, but that's also for the phone too. Would be cheaper if it was internet only

Antiochus

If there is one good reason for the status quo, this will probably be it:

http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/02/local-loop-unbundling-for-cable.html

I don’t, however, agree with Felix’s presumption that all we need do is refine the current infrastructure, or his claim that there are no other effective forms of competition at current margins. Penetration rates could be a few percentage points higher, and that is an economic cost from the status quo, but in Felix and some of the other commentators I am seeing a black and white version of a monopoly story that simply does not correspond to the facts. Furthermore the current monopoly power of cable means that infrastructure will be laid down more quickly next time around, and moving to local loop unbundling would weaken this incentive by confiscating some of the rents from the infrastructure investments of the cable companies. I probably would make this trade-off, but that further blunts any estimate of the net costs from the U.S. status quo. - See more at: http://marginalrevolution.com/margi...nbundling-for-cable.html#sthash.UWPG3WTx.dpuf

FOOTE

Because, money. That's what everything comes back to. Whether is greed, lack of... whatever. It's money.

The duopoly thing is so true.

In my neck of the woods in Ohio if you want cable internet service your ONLY option is TWC(Time Warner). AT&T services the area too but everyone knows their internet service is sub-par at best and its speeds don't compare to TWC's anyway.

So I feel trapped in with TWC because I have no other options even though their prices are stupid for the speed you're getting. These companies need some real competition for prices and service to improve but they've done very good at making sure they don't get touched by regulation.

Deku Tree

Where I live you have 2 choices, xfinity or century link, at a max of 50 mbps for 50$ a month.

If you don't like it you don't get Internet.

I never will understand how the government allows stuff like this to happen.

Yup... Don't need to read a long article to figure that out... Because "essentially monopolies" and poor government protections of consumers...

Nabbis

"Fallen" is an understatement. Here im sitting on 100Mbs for 15euros/month. Population density is 41/sq mi and the US has 84... There's really no excuse even with the "infrastructure" arguments.

Norua

Banned
40€ gives me 100Mb (unlimited of course, caps don't exist here), free phone calls in my country and HD TV with 140 channels.
I'll soon have 200Mb for the same price.

The UK has forced BT to lease lines to competitors, but that's due in no small part to the fact it was a nationalised industry for so long, so obviously there was only one "company" laying all the cable.

And some bits of Europe certainly are bad. Where my girlfriend lived in Spain, she only had one choice of broadband provider and she got about 8mb/s for 50 euros a month.

Ensirius

40€ gives me 100Mb (unlimited of course, caps don't exist here), free phone calls in my country and HD TV with 140 channels.
I'll soon have 200Mb for the same price.
Movistar España?

I'm the same as you except I got to cellphone lines with unlimited text and calls, 1gb worth of Internet all for 75€.

I'm also going to upgrade my optic fiber to 200 mb.

Toa TAK

Banned
This is the absolute worst. I can barely connect with some of my friends across the country due to constant interruptions.

Nephtis

We would be fine if the government would step in with some of the BS the providers have come up with.

For example, in my area I get Cox (who I'm actually happy with) -- but Comcast can't come in to their territory. I think CenturyLink can only do a 1.5Mb connection but no higher than that. look at Verizon FIOS, and Google, there's a lot of areas they can't go because of these territories that other ISPs have set up.

If we truly made this a battleground for these providers, we'd see some positive changes.

Zeppu

Hahahahahah rent a modem for $100? Rent? And you pay it every year?

Ahahahaha that's hilariously sad. I consider my internet to be very expensive at €50 for 60Mbps but it's fantastic compared to the US.

jwhit28

Hahahahahah rent a modem for $100? Rent? And you pay it every year?

Ahahahaha that's hilariously sad. I consider my internet to be very expensive at €50 for 60Mbps but it's fantastic compared to the US.

There is nothing stopping you from buying your own modem. Now cable boxes are pretty much mandatory. Cablecard has failed to keep up.

mackattk

No shit.

I pay $70 for 30/6 internet only. I can step up to 50/10 for $120 though (still, internet only). Thankfully no caps but still it is ridiculously expensive. Knoxville, tn here.

Let's not forget this: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1529287

Verizon receiving $23 billion to roll out fios they fail to come through and just keep the money.

Free markets, when left completely free, tend toward monopoly in many or even most sectors.

Unless you have an ideological commitment to "free" markets, which many Americans inanely do, using regulation to foster competition is better for the economy and much better for consumers.

He's almost certainly not an idiot. He is a shill, though. An equivalent argument would be "It's not a water shortage! Your faucet is probably just stuck!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom