• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes: "Why the U.S. Has Fallen Behind in Internet Speed and Affordability"

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont know if this has been posted on GAF

link

I had my doubts about Wheeler after learning he was an advocate and former employee of cable companies but idk, he seems to be making the right moves.

Leeeeets pull this back a bit..

TheVerge said:
A report published this afternoon by The New York Times details one of the possible plans the FCC may debut in their attempt to establish new rules around net neutrality and the open internet. It takes a "hybrid" approach, dividing the new regulations between commercial or wholesale internet traffic and retail or residential internet traffic. In a nutshell, this would mean content companies like Netflix will get the price controls they want when it comes to dealing with companies like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T. But those companies will also be allowed to give certain data a fast lane over their networks if it was "justified," cementing the gutting of net neutrality that occurred when Verizon defeated the FCC in court.

FCC Hybrid Plans.

He still doesn't get it. Fuck Verizon, fuck Comcast, fuck all American telecom. They are the ones fucking the people over.

pgtl_10

There is some disagreement about that conclusion, including from Richard Bennett, a visiting fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a critic of those who say Internet service providers need more regulation. He argued that much of the slowness is caused not by broadband networks but by browsers, websites and high usage.

Is there any corporation the American Enterprise Institute will not defend? Seriously, if a company decided to start selling slaves, the American Enterprise Institute will come out and say government should not get involved.

It's really sad.

I'm also amazed at how my area (Buffalo) is so far ahead more popular cities in the nation when it comes to internet speed.

3873448914.png

The area is dull in many ways (especially in terms of jobs; hard for 20-somethings since they are competing against people in their 30s and up for the same jobs) but I would be lying if I said that internet speed isn't one of the main reasons why I would prefer to stay here.

Holy crap that's awesome. I don't live that far from your city (I'm in NYC) but I don't have the same plan.

I'm so pissed because I looked up FIOS coverage and my area had it. When I called I found out that I can't get FIOS because of my apartment complex. Now I'm stuch with Verizon "High speed" internet and I'm getting 5.5 Mbps. I hope when I move out (Still live with my family) I can find an area with a good ISP. Anyone else in a major city with crappy internet?

pgtl_10

Could be worse. You can get 300mbs for 65$ here now. Just got mine a couple months ago, not too bad IMO.

Is that Austin?

Austin will now have 3 providers offering 1 Gbps internet(Google, AT&T, and Grande Communications). TWC now offers 300Mbps.

Unfortunately, the Gbps providers will not probably no come to my area. I can switch TWC for 300 though.

This could have something to do with the the size of the US.

map_compare_united_states_europe.png

texas-europe-map.jpeg

I live in Germany and it blows my mind that Texas would be easily the biggest country in Europe.
I know there could be more competition in the States but it's pretty hard to bring high speed internet to every corner in such a huge country.

Nordic countries (except Denmark) are even less densely populated than US and they have billion times better internet connections. It's an excuse.

Nordic countries (except Denmark) are even less densely populated than US and they have billion times better internet connections. It's a excuse.

It's the same kind of excuse you get with having a better train system in the US and it's really fucking tiring. Yes we're a big country, but being a huge country doesn't mean we *can't* do it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
What would happen to the economy, society, everything if the internet went down in its entirety for a month, or even just a week? Mass chaos. That's the kind of essential infrastructure the internet is, and it's beyond absurd to think that it should be in the hands of a few monopolistic corporations. Anyone who thinks it should is a goddamn moron.

d00d3n

I guess that could be the case... but in the case of high-speed countries like Korea, it was achieved by government incentive. So it wasn't really a glorious open and free market that made them leaders... it was aggressive government involvement.

This is true in Sweden as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I know there could be more competition in the States but it's pretty hard to bring high speed internet to every corner in such a huge country.

Not... really?

It's just ISP's haven't gotten off their asses to upgrade the infrastructure or use stuff like Fiber via Electric Lines to do it.

Somnid

Not... really?

It's just ISP's haven't gotten off their asses to upgrade the infrastructure or use stuff like Fiber via Electric Lines to do it.

Yes, really. It costs a lot of money which is why rural areas are underserved. They'd make less than upgrading a highly dense urban area if they made anything at all. The bullshit is when they clearly aren't doing anything in a community and still come after them for trying to build their own better broadband networks because they want to reserve their place if they decide to expand in 10 years. That's just a fuck you.

Prologue

Holy crap that's awesome. I don't live that far from your city (I'm in NYC) but I don't have the same plan.

I'm so pissed because I looked up FIOS coverage and my area had it. When I called I found out that I can't get FIOS because of my apartment complex. Now I'm stuch with Verizon "High speed" internet and I'm getting 5.5 Mbps. I hope when I move out (Still live with my family) I can find an area with a good ISP. Anyone else in a major city with crappy internet?

No time warner?

TWC recently rolled out their speed boost here in NYC and now I get 100/10 pretty consistently for ~$55/mo. I hate to NOT criticize TWC but I'm happy with this.
They didn't do that out of the kindness of their hearts, I still haven't figured out why. It's not like Google fiber is coming to nyc.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
As is my understand it's the FCCs fault from back when the ISPs were laying cable. When phonelines went down, the federal government said that in order to get access to the land needed the telephone companies had to agree to lease a certain percentage of the signal to competitors. They all agreed and that was why you could use any phone company you wanted for your home service.

That caveat was left out when the ISPs were signing deals to lay their cable which has led to entire cities where you only have one choice for Cable Internet - which means less competition and higher prices.

_Nemo

Can't be worse than Canada. We're being crushed by the big 3 phone/internet companies because of the lack of competition.

There is some disagreement about that conclusion, including from Richard Bennett, a visiting fellow at the American Enterprise Institute and a critic of those who say Internet service providers need more regulation. He argued that much of the slowness is caused not by broadband networks but by browsers, websites and high usage.

I know i'm cherry picking this but, uhm... what? I wonder if he thought this one through.

Yes, really. It costs a lot of money which is why rural areas are underserved. They'd make less than upgrading a highly dense urban area if they made anything at all. The bullshit is when they clearly aren't doing anything in a community and still come after them for trying to build their own better broadband networks because they want to reserve their place if they decide to expand in 10 years. That's just a fuck you.

If only the government had given the cable companies hundreds of billions of dollars of taxpayer money to do just that before it just... disappeared.

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070810_002683.html

Instro

It's not the presence of a monopoly that stops competitors starting up in this sector, but the cost that comes with entering it in the first place. Google does extremely well in the markets they enter as an ISP, and forces competitors to offer better services at a better cost, the problem is their expansion is very slow due to the cost of entering that market. You are right that real regulation is the only solution though.
Its both. The providers actively work to prevent competition, we've seen it time and again.

This thread compelled me to look at the internet options available in my region. (Triad NC)

The main player is Time Warner. They Offer 50/5 for 65 dollars a month.
Another provider is a smaller telecom Northstate. That offer according to there website 1000/30 for 70 dollars a month.
AT&T has also listed the Triad as a region where they will expand there Gigabit service.
Then I found what I'm sure is some kind of scam/bullshit/ or government black project called RST Fiber. They claim that they have a 3,100 mile fiber optic network set up that can provide 100 Gigabit speeds.

Still more competition than whats in Canada.

There is Rogers, Bell, Shaw and Other. Other being companies that use the previous 3's infrastructure. So it's really just 3 companies running the show up here.

pgtl_10

This thread compelled me to look at the internet options available in my region. (Triad NC)

The main player is Time Warner. They Offer 50/5 for 65 dollars a month.
Another provider is a smaller telecom Northstate. That offer according to there website 1000/30 for 70 dollars a month.
AT&T has also listed the Triad as a region where they will expand there Gigabit service.
Then I found what I'm sure is some kind of scam/bullshit/ or government black project called RST Fiber. They claim that they have a 3,100 mile fiber optic network set up that can provide 100 Gigabit speeds.

You got Gbps so that looks good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom