• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYU offers full-tuition scholarships for all medical students

New York University said Thursday that it will cover tuition for all its medical students regardless of their financial situation, a first among the nation’s major medical schools and an attempt to expand career options for graduates who won’t be saddled with six-figure debt.

School officials worry that rising tuition and soaring loan balances are pushing new doctors into high-paying fields and contributing to a shortage of researchers and primary care physicians. Medical schools nationwide have been conducting aggressive fundraising campaigns to compete for top prospects, alleviate the debt burden and give graduates more career choices.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/...on-scholarships-for-all-medical-students.html

This is pretty great.

LordPezix

As a recent grad with massive debt this is really awesome.

I may have missed the band wagon but I hope we see more free education pathways open up very soon.

lil puff

I went to school on an earned full tuition scholarship, but let me tell you. Nothing in NYC is full tuition.

How does this work? Is the uni funding it off their own bat or is it public funding?

NYU raised more than $450 million of the roughly $600 million it estimates it will need to fund the tuition package in perpetuity, including $100 million from Home Depot founder Kenneth Langone and his wife, Elaine. The school will provide full-tuition scholarships for 92 first-year students—another 10 are already covered through M.D./PhD programs—as well as 350 students already partway through the M.D.-only degree program.

"$600 million it estimates it will need"

"The school will provde full-tuition scholarships for 92 first-year students [...] as well as 350 students already partway through the M.D.-only degree program"

$600m for about 450 students? Or have I misunderstood?

Yeeeeeesh. Good on NYU but this is a drop in the bucket.

Ke0

"$600 million it estimates it will need"

"The school will provde full-tuition scholarships for 92 first-year students [...] as well as 350 students already partway through the M.D.-only degree program"

$600m for about 450 students? Or have I misunderstood?

Yeeeeeesh. Good on NYU but this is a drop in the bucket.

Missed an important part

$600 million it estimates it will need to fund the tuition package in perpetuity

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Will this actually work? The smart ones will take the free tuition and then just move into high paid medical fields instead of lower paid fields.

A better option (although much more administratively difficult) would be to work with the medical association to reduce the debt of people who actually become things like general practitioners and other primary-care doctors.

natjjohn

I’ll be the hater. Though I think this is a good thing, doctors are probably the least impacted by student loan debt due to their future earnings. This would speak more to me had they went with an advanced degree not guaranteeing big bucks.

OR

Did it for undergrad only. Folks with some of the more crippling debt they are struggling to get out of.

Gander

Banned
That is going to bring a lot bright minds to New York. I imagine a lot of families are going to move to the east coast just to take advantage. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing but it will have some kind of cultural impact.

Cato

Banned
That is going to bring a lot bright minds to New York. I imagine a lot of families are going to move to the east coast just to take advantage. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing but it will have some kind of cultural impact.

Yes absolutely and definitely. Every year they will bring almost a hundred people to NY.
Can we be sure that the state and the culture there can absorb that influx?

Top Bottom