• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama Administration Ends Pentagon Program to Train Syrian Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Breaking.

LONDON — The Obama administration has ended the Pentagon’s $500 million program to train and equip Syrian rebels, administration officials said on Friday, in an acknowledgment that the beleaguered program had failed to produce any kind of ground combat forces capable of taking on the Islamic State in Syria.

This is not unexpected. The last time I heard about this, a rebel unit trained and supplied by America changed sides as soon as they entered the fray. The situation has been a complete clusterfuck and this point the kurds remain the only ideologically stable side opossed to IS. Russia fucking around only made things more difficult.

Edit: Here it is. Syria crisis: US-trained rebels give equipment to al-Qaeda affiliate.

A group of US-trained Syrian rebels has handed over their vehicles and ammunition to fighters linked to al-Qaeda, the US military has admitted.
It said one rebel unit had surrendered six pick-up trucks and ammunition to the al-Nusra Front this week - apparently to gain safe passage.

I bet that was not the first time it happened.

jchap

Well Russia is currently bombing the shit out of them so there probably isn't much left to train

This is a good move.

Should have left the place alone all along.

Wonder if they will stop sending them supllies,also will the USA continue supporting the Kurds?

The whole strategy is just baffling to me.

The US wants Assad out, but they won't do it themselves, so they'll arm "good" rebels a bit, but not enough to topple the regime, meanwhile they're also bombing "bad" rebels, all without any actual plan for a political transition.

$500 million taxpayer dollars down the drain for fucking nothing. The plan was worthless from the get go and Russia bombing the hell out of them was the casket for this program. Not to mention them handling over the weapons to terrorist groups. Good job Obama.

I mean when was the last time the US funded and gave weapons to rebel groups and got the end result they really wanted? Answer: Never Hell I remember reading a report in which Obama asked the same thing and none of those idiot military people could give him an answer.

params7

Banned
I blame this policy for fueling extremist growth such as ISIS and consequently causing the mass migration crisis. About time we stopped this, its not working, and it will make Assad stronger once he recaptures the territory.

The priority should be now to stop ISIS's recruitment in NA and Europe as they are appealing to gullible people and teenagers looking for some purpose in life.

$500 million taxpayer dollars down the drain for fucking nothing. The plan was worthless from the get go and Russia bombing the hell out of them was the casket for this program. Not to mention them handling over the weapons to terrorist groups. Good job Obama.

I mean when was the last time the US funded and gave weapons to rebel groups and got the end result they really wanted? Answer: Never Hell I remember reading a report in which Obama asked the same thing and none of those idiot military people could give him an answer.

For 500 million you could have hired black water/triple canopy/ whatever PMC out there and had been way more effective.

Fuchsdh

I'd say arming the Mujahideen worked swimmingly. The failures of Afghanistan and everything ending up in the hands of the Taliban after is partially a function of the US washing their hands of any support once the Soviets were gone.

(With that said, a big caveat is that the Afghanis were fighting an external force.)

Could you post some links? I'm unaware of PMC's acting outside of Ukraine with backing from the russian government and would like to familiarize myself with the issue.

I'm equating the Ukrainian rebels who are supplemented with Russian soldiers who are "volunteering" in a unofficial way.

Finally, this needed to be done. With Russia on the ground fighting with Assad this war will soon be over. We should be happy about this, Syria has been in a state of war for far too long.

Chariot

Good. Train and support a regular army of a state, not some rebels who might end up who knows where and as what. Took the USA long enough to learn.

Draft

Are the Kurds so politically toxic we can't back them as Israel, Jr? Every time I read about some militia getting it's butt kicked by ISIS or changing sides to fight along side them, there is a blurb near the end about the Kurds retaking some piece of territory. They seem competent and more importantly enthusiastic. What the hell do they do that's so odious to us we don't have them marching across the Middle East in 10 billion dollars of America's nicest death machines.

Setsuna

Are the Kurds so politically toxic we can't back them as Israel, Jr? Every time I read about some militia getting it's butt kicked by ISIS or changing sides to fight along side them, there is a blurb near the end about the Kurds retaking some piece of territory. They seem competent and more importantly enthusiastic. What the hell do they do that's so odious to us we don't have them marching across the Middle East in 10 billion dollars of America's nicest death machines.

Kurds stopped caring about advancing there lines a long time ago

The whole strategy is just baffling to me.

The US wants Assad out, but they won't do it themselves, so they'll arm "good" rebels a bit, but not enough to topple the regime, meanwhile they're also bombing "bad" rebels, all without any actual plan for a political transition.

Everything changes when Russia goes in. The rebels had a good shot. Thanks to a constant kurdish influx from Turkey fighting for Kurdistan, it made sense that the American gov could back it.

To create change you need to topple those in power, but as we saw in Iraq, it won't work well if its not the people themselves who make the revolution. America and UN can only stir the winds.

When Russia backs assad they are backing a dictator to keep the status quo because it benefits their agenda.
The Kurds could beat Assad. But not when Russia has joined the fight. It has changed everything.

Turkey doesn't like them.

Also, they wouldn't march across the Middle East.

The last time I heard about this, a regiment of rebels trained and supplied by America changed sides as soon as they entered the fray.

It said one rebel unit had surrendered six pick-up trucks and ammunition to the al-Nusra Front this week

A regiment is usually over a thousand soldiers. I don't think the US has even trained that many. They were in the process of training 100-120 and I think 50 had deployed so if any had crossed over the number would have been very small.

Anyway, good they have stopped. The less US involvement the better.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
A regiment is usually over a thousand soldiers. I don't think the US has even trained that many. They were in the process of training 100-120 and I think 50 had deployed so if any had crossed over the number would have been very small.
Yeah, I misspoke. A regiment would have been less of an embarrassment and more of a gamechanger. Going by the article at the BBC, it was a rebel unit made of about 50 people.

Congress has approved $500m (£323m) to train and equip about 5,000 rebels to fight against Islamic State militants.
But the first 54 graduates were routed by al-Nusra Front, the military said.

Probably for the best. It's crazy that Republicans always talk about welfare a waste of money, but are OK with wasteful spending that has anything to do with fighting foreigners...

Smart Move.

1) They were having issues of the rebels selling their shit to the enemies.

2) We no longer have to protect the US rebels from the enemies (Including Assad forces backed by Russian air power).

I
think its important to mention that the $500 million only trained 5 ( yes FIVE) fighters

I think it's important to mention that is a good example of how the media distorts the truth. General Austin actually said only four or five remain in the fight. The first batch of 54 fighters were either killed or fled and they were in the process of training 100-120.

NYT said:
Few U.S.-Trained Syrians Still Fight ISIS, Senators Are Told

In Syria, the effort to use local ground forces has yet to take off. General Austin told the Senate committee that many fighters in the first class of 54 graduates of the training program for Syrians were attacked in July by an offshoot of Al Qaeda, the Nusra Front, and either fled or were killed, leaving only a “small number” of rebels still in the fight.

He acknowledged that the program was behind schedule, and said that the military was reviewing it. Asked how many fighters were still in Syria, General Austin said that “it’s a small number.” He added, “We’re talking four or five.”

The Guardian said:
US has trained only 'four or five' Syrian fighters against Isis, top general testifies

ezrarh

Probably for the best. It's crazy that Republicans always talk about welfare a waste of money, but are OK with wasteful spending that has anything to do with fighting foreigners...

Seriously. People complain about how much a rail line would cost but shit, stop spending so much money on guns in the middle east and you'd get it done and provide something useful to the American people.

LordOfChaos

I'd bet 100 dollars that in the next 5 years, "lets arm the rebels" will be a US tactic again. And a few years after that, you know where that goes.

params7

Banned
Well this is going to continue.. wonder what they'll have to say about Obama now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34479929

Saudi Arabia is responding to the recent Russian air strikes on Syrian rebels by stepping up its supplies of lethal weaponry to three different rebel groups, a Saudi government official has told the BBC.

The well-placed official, who asked not to be named, said supplies of modern, high-powered weaponry including guided anti-tank weapons would be increased to the Arab- and western-backed rebel groups fighting the forces of Syria's President Bashar al-Assad and his Russian, Iranian and Lebanese allies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well this is going to continue.. wonder what they'll have to say about Obama now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34479929

Does this not put Saudi Arabia in direct conflict with Russia? I know Saudi Arabia have delusions that they can punch above their weight when it comes to military might, but even they can't be stupid enough to directly challenge Russia.

I mean when the US backs off, you know you're dealing with someone you shouldn't be messing with.

Also, that Saudi official is contradicting himself when he says that the Saudis aren't arming Al Nusra but are arming the Army of Conquest(which Al Nusra is a part of).

Funding Muslim groups has never gone particularly well for America

He'll still going to fund them. If anyone actually read the article he is actually changing his strategy.

The shift in strategy comes as Mr. Obama has approved two important steps to set in motion an offensive against the Islamic State in northeastern Syria in the coming weeks.

Mr. Obama ordered the Pentagon, for the first time, to directly provide ammunition and perhaps some weapons to Syrian opposition forces on the ground. He also endorsed an idea for an increased air campaign from an air base in Turkey, although important details of that plan still need to be worked out.

Together, these measures are intended to empower 3,000 to 5,000 Arab fighters who would join more than 20,000 Kurdish combatants in an offensive backed by dozens of coalition warplanes to pressure the Islamic State in Raqqa, the militant group’s main stronghold in Syria.

The Arab wing of this ground force is called the Syrian Arab Coalition, a conglomeration of 10 to 15 groups, American officials said.

American military officials have screened the leaders of the Arab groups to ensure that they meet standards set by Congress when it approved $500 million last year for the Defense Department to train and equip moderate Syrian rebels.

Under the shift in strategy that emerged on Friday, the administration would now focus more of its efforts on equipping these Arab fighters and inserting some of the trained Syrian rebels within their ranks.

The strategy also will train a smaller group of people.

The new program, the official said, will begin in the next few days.

Officials said the equipment, which will be supplied to leaders of Syrian opposition groups, would include weapons, ammunition and communication equipment.

A senior Defense Department official, who was not authorized to speak publicly and who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that there would no longer be any more recruiting of so-called moderate Syrian rebels to go through training programs in Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates. Instead, a much smaller training center would be set up in Turkey, where a small group of “enablers” — mostly leaders of opposition groups — would be taught operational maneuvers like how to call in airstrikes.

params7

Banned
Does this not put Saudi Arabia in direct conflict with Russia? I know Saudi Arabia have delusions that they can punch above their weight when it comes to military might, but even they can't be stupid enough to directly challenge Russia.

I mean when the US backs off, you know you're dealing with someone you shouldn't be messing with.

Also, that Saudi official is contradicting himself when he says that the Saudis aren't arming Al Nusra but are arming the Army of Conquest(which Al Nusra is a part of).

They aren't stupid enough to directly attack Russia, but they are currently utilizing their clerics to recruit more mercenaries and they are arming them. It won't be inaccurate to say the Sauds are currently in a full blown proxy war with Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom