• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
Dunk#7 said:
Does that make it any less relevant?

This country is so full of people just wanting a handout it makes me sick. Everybody in today's society feels they are entitled to everything.

Camping out in front of various buildings is not going to create more jobs.

Getting rid of labor unions that push wages higher than what the labor is worth would do a much better job of getting people back to work. Labor unions cause businesses to have less jobs available due to the fact that they are paying their current employees inflated wages. It also causes jobs to go oversees because it costs much more to produce the product here due to the wages of each person touching the product.

Labor unions were good for their intended purpose when they were started, but now there are laws on the books that protect workers and anything else should be covered by our legal system.

Your comment has been addressed, repeatedly, so no it isn't particularly relevant since it's been done to death.

FYI less than 10% of the private sector is unionized. Look elsewhere for your scapegoat.

Marleyman

Banned
Dunk#7 said:
Does that make it any less relevant?

This country is so full of people just wanting a handout it makes me sick. Everybody in today's society feels they are entitled to everything.

Generalize much?

Dunk#7 said:
Getting rid of labor unions that push wages higher than what the labor is worth would do a much better job of getting people back to work.

Yeah man, those overpaid factory workers! They should be getting paid less and the company should make more profit..they deserve it, right?

Dunk#7 said:
Labor unions cause businesses to have less jobs available due to the fact that they are paying their current employees inflated wages. It also causes jobs to go oversees because it costs much more to produce the product here due to the wages of each person touching the product.

So IT jobs that they have been shipping overseas are because of fucking unions? Sorry, but they are getting shipped over because the companies here don't want to pay what the job is worth. They make more profit and get what needs to be done for much less while screwing over the country that makes them popular in the first place.

Dunk#7 said:
Labor unions were good for their intended purpose when they were started, but now there are laws on the books that protect workers and anything else should be covered by our legal system.

Last time I checked I could be fired for basically anything the company wanted to. I have no damn laws covering my ass. What do you do for a living?

dave is ok said:
CONGRATULATIONS TO MANOS!!!!

Most posts in yet another Occupy Wall Street thread! He didn't post for the first five pages or so to make sure he gave everyone else a head start, but once he got going he really put his all into it and came out on top.
Thanks for the acknowledgment!

What people need to understand here is that both employed people and unemployed people ought to ally against the 1% who want to pit them against each other.

There's a REASON this has been called a 'jobless recovery.' There's been a massive transfer of money to the wealthy; and it's GOOD for the wealthy if there's a lot of unemployment. That keeps their employees scared shitless of asking for raises or better treatment at work because they know there are tons of desperate people out there who'd love to replace them because they need to be able to feed their own kids.

High unemployment is used to drive wages and salaries down for the benefit of the wealthy. Both the unemployed and the employed need to figure this out and ally against the folks who are exploiting them.

People saying 'just get a job!!!!' are so stupid that even the most right-wing expert economists don't adopt that sort of position - which is, essentially, a claim that the overall condition of the economy doesn't have anything to do with the ease of finding work. That claim is pretty much ignorant lunacy, which is why nobody with a shred of intelligence and education will make it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Marleyman said:
Pretty cool; Military vets protecting Occupy Phoenix with AR-15's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BeH1nTqy14&feature=player_embedded
i wonder what would happen if these guys were in oakland.

that said, hes completely correct about being sworn in. it's for life, foreign and domestic.

Marleyman said:
Marine reacts to fellow Marine being in a coma due to Oakland PD.

http://www.reddit.com/r/occupywalls..._i_feel_as_a_united_states_marine_about_what/

http://i.imgur.com/yGfyU.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
i'm confused. it says he was never a marine.

also, it says hes active duty? how the hell is he active duty will all those piercings and a beard?

Dunk#7

Marleyman said:
Generalize much?

Yeah man, those overpaid factory workers! They should be getting paid less and the company should make more profit..they deserve it, right?

So IT jobs that they have been shipping overseas are because of fucking unions? Sorry, but they are getting shipped over because the companies here don't want to pay what the job is worth. They make more profit and get what needs to be done for much less while screwing over the country that makes them popular in the first place.

Last time I checked I could be fired for basically anything the company wanted to. I have no damn laws covering my ass. What do you do for a living?

I DID NOT say the company should make more profit by paying their workers less. I said they should not have the wages over inflated by the union so that they have the funds to hire more people.

I am an electrical engineer that is involved in sales and technical support at an electrical distributor.

I can be fired at any time for any reason. That is the way it should be.

If that reason turns out to be unjust then I have the legal system to fight that battle.

I am not entitled to my position. It is up to those above me to decide if I am needed.

Dunk#7 said:
I am an electrical engineer that is involved in sales and technical support at an electrical distributor.

If that reason turns out to be unjust then I have the legal system to fight that battle.

I am not entitled to my position. It is up to those above me to decide if I am needed.
jesus christ

alstein

That's all well and good, but society has to function, and a society where more then half the population isn't needed- that half of the population will have no stake in preserving the society. You'll end up with a revolution or worse.

That's why I support the 99%, that's the future I wish to prevent.

Dunk#7

It comes down to trust at your company.

Do you trust those in power over you or not?

I personally respect those above me at my company so I have no reason to believe they are out to screw me over.

Dunk#7 said:
I DID NOT say the company should make more profit by paying their workers less. I said they should not have the wages over inflated by the union so that they have the funds to hire more people.

Your understanding of capitalism appears to be deficient. Help me finish this sentence. Revenue less wages and other expenses equals _______.

Also, please explain to me why it is in anybody's interest who works for a living to have a lower wage? Once again, you seem to misunderstand how capitalism works.

Dunk#7 said:

I personally respect those above me at my company so I have no reason to believe they are out to screw me over.

Their job is literally to screw you over. They have fiduciary duties to shareholders, who get to keep whatever revenue they prevent you from having. Your interests are directly opposed to your employers' interests.

Azih

If your company is a publicly owned corporation then those in power above you are the shareholders of the company.

And shareholders are very definitely out to screw you over.

Even: And even if your company is not publicly owned it's competing against companies who are and working in a situation where the most powerful entities are publicly owned corps. Race to the Bottom. Wee!

Dude Abides

Banned
Dunk#7 said:

Nope.

Dunk#7

empty vessel said:
Your understanding of capitalism appears to be deficient. Help me finish this sentence. Revenue less wages and other expenses equals _______.

Also, please explain to me why it is in anybody's interest who works for a living to have a lower wage? Once again, you seem to misunderstand how capitalism works.

A company has $200,000 available

Union scenario: 2 people get jobs at $100,000 a piece, but the job is not worthy of that pay grade

Non-Union Scenario: 4 people get jobs at $50,000 a piece

Understand Yet?

Deku

Banned
Dunk#7 said:

Union scenario: 2 people get jobs at $100,000 a piece, but the job is not worthy of that pay grade

Understand Yet?

Scenario 3

2 people get jobs for $50,000 (25,000 each) because people are desperate and have no bargaining power.

'shareholders' pocket the rest.

Chichikov

Dunk#7 said:
What do you mean over-inflated?
Every labor agreement is signed by both management and labor.
Are you suggesting that labor should not try to get the best deal that they can?
And that's free market for you?

Dunk#7 said:

Wait, I don't see how the bolded gel with everything else.
You either can be fired for any or every reason, or the government get regulate what you can or can't be fired for.

How would the free market address unjust firing?

Dunk#7

Azih said:
If your company is a publicly owned corporation then those in power above you are the shareholders of the company.

And shareholders are very definitely out to screw you over.

Even: And even if your company is not publicly owned it's competing against companies who are and working in a situation where the most powerful entities are publicly owned corps. Race to the Bottom. Wee!

The company I work for is private and has grown that way for years. The company is now among the top electrical distributors in the country.

The founder would shut the doors tomorrow if the company was ever to unionize.

Sobriquet

Dunk#7 said:

Understand Yet?

what is this

Dude Abides

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Why not? Are you assuming unjust isn't due to a violation of is at will agreement, or prohibited reason, et al?

I can think of a million unjust reasons you'd get fired and have no recourse.

If he doesn't like you because you're too short, too tall, too fat, too skinny, you're shit out of luck. If he fires you because he doesn't like Eagles fans and you're an Eagles fan, you're shit out of luck. If you boss fires you because he wants to fuck your wife and hopes she'll leave you if you're unemployed, you're shit out of luck.

Edit: except in Wyoming.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Why not? Are you assuming unjust isn't due to a violation of is at will agreement, or prohibited reason, et al?

It's SUPER rare that someone gets fired and takes the company to court and wins. In fact, most companies make you sign your life away when you get hired, saying that you won't ever sue (if you read between the lines).

Dunk#7 said:
The company I work for is private and has grown that way for years. The company is now among the top electrical distributors in the country.

So he clearly opposes your interests as an employee. How could it not be more clear?

Unfortunately, what American companies seem to excel at in terms of competition is wage suppression. It'd be nice if they competed in reducing the actual cost of operations outside of wages, e.g., increasing genuine productivity.

Dunk#7

Chichikov said:
What do you mean over-inflated?
Every labor agreement is signed by both management and labor.
Are you suggesting that labor should not try to get the best deal that they can?
And that's free market for you?

Wait, I don't see how the bolded gel with everything else.
You either can be fired for any or every reason, or the government get regulate what you can or can't be fired for.

How would the free market address unjust firing?

Just because the you can be fired for any reason does not make that reason indisputable in the court of law.

If a company had that policy and fired somebody for something ridiculous like having a small limp I am pretty sure the legal system could fight and win that battle.

Chichikov

Dunk#7 said:
Just because the you can be fired for any reason does not make that reason indisputable in the court of law.

If a company had that policy and fired somebody for something ridiculous like having a small limp I am pretty sure the legal system could fight and win that battle.
Yeah, but that's government regulation that interfere with free market.

I mean, you either have a system where you "can be fired at any time for any reason" (which you said is "[...] the way it should be") or there are some regulations that limit the freedom of companies.

And just so we're clear, personally, I'm fine with that regulation.
Fuck, I'm more than fine, I think it's essential.

Dude Abides

Banned
Dunk#7 said:

Nope. A slight limp that did not substantially limit your ability to walk wouldn't qualify as a disability under the ADA. You're screwed, gimpy.

Dunk#7 said:

But that's what unions are for...

Holy cognitive dissonance batman.

Zenith

Banned
Dunk#7 said:

What a tool. "yes, masser. you know what best for poor dumb ol' me"

Evlar

Banned
I'm sure the free hand of the market will sort all this out. We just need to let people seek their own best interest.

also

Why do these unions need to be so greedy? They should take one for the team!

Dude Abides said:
I can think of a million unjust reasons you'd get fired and have no recourse.

If he doesn't like you because you're too short, too tall, too fat, too skinny, you're shit out of luck. If he fires you because he doesn't like Eagles fans and you're an Eagles fan, you're shit out of luck. If you boss fires you because he wants to fuck your wife and hopes she'll leave you if you're unemployed, you're shit out of luck.

Edit: except in Wyoming.

Okay, that's what I thought you meant.

Mike M said:
What's different about Wyoming?
I kind of want to know this too now.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Dunk#7 said:

I doubt it.

More likely he just says that to scare his workers from unionizing

teruterubozu said:
It's SUPER rare that someone gets fired and takes the company to court and wins.
I was only asking about what he meant by his statement, I thought I did, and I was right. I'm not speaking about likelihood of success, just the option.

In fact, most companies make you sign your life away when you get hired, saying that you won't ever sue (if you read between the lines).
Yes, though pretty much all contracts for everything usually have you waive pretty much any rights you might have. Those provisions don't always stand. They can be voided as against public policy (non-competes often encounter these issues with Doctors and other professions)

Dude Abides said:
It's actually Montana. Got my mountain west states confused. It's the only state that doesn't have at-will employment. You have to be fired for just cause.
Interesting. I wonder how much specific cause has to be? .

badcrumble said:
The presence of one group of fucked-up assholes doesn't condemn the overall movement any more than the presence of Paultards or Larouchites does.

It's going to look extremely badly on them and deservedly so if they don't openly reject these guys once they're informed of the fact that they're neo nazis.

Chichikov

Menelaus said:
The American Neo Nazis have supported OWS for a while now.
Something something Jewish bankers that controls wall street.

p.s.
Personally, I don't think that "who has more racist supporters" is a game that conservatives would want to play.
But it's a stupid game anyway.

Mortrialus said:
It's going to look extremely badly on them and deservedly so if they don't openly reject these guys once they're informed of the fact that they're neo nazis.
For what it's worth, I saw "everyone is accepted but racists" sings in all the occupy rallies I went to.
And seriously, I think it's going to be an uphill battle to try and paint a bunch of dirty hippies as Nazis.

Oh shit, that's my home city guys. I know exactly where and what the deal with that is. These guys are real deal shitheads, the kind you'd expect from lower middle class whites living in Arizona

I'm for militia protecting us symbolically considering what's been happening, but not them, not like this.gif

Chichikov said:
For what it's worth, I saw "everyone is accepted but racists" sings in all the occupy rallies I went to.
And seriously, I think it's going to be an uphill battle to try and paint a bunch of dirty hippies as Nazis.

I realize that "Everyone is accepted but racist" views of the movement, but these guys probably walked up to the OWS group and said, "Hey we're a local militia, mind if we protect you symbolically?" and after the Oakland debacle, they thought "Great!" and let them in not knowing they were neonazis and it is going to unfairly bite they group there in the ass. I should have realized something was up when they guy started talking about the silver and gold standard. They OWS people there probably aren't even aware that they're neonazis yet.

Chichikov

Mortrialus said:
I realize that "Everyone is accepted but racist" views of the movement, but these guys probably walked up to the OWS group and said, "Hey we're a local militia, mind if we protect you symbolically?" and after the Oakland debacle, they thought "Great!" and let them in not knowing they were neonazis and it is going to unfairly bite they group there in the ass. I should have realized something was up when they guy started talking about the silver and gold standard. They OWS people there probably aren't even aware that they're neonazis yet.
I haven't been to the Arizona rallies, but based on the one I've been to, I think you're grossly overestimating the level of central planning and organizations those rallies have.
People don't really ask for permission to do things, they just kinda show up and do their thing.

But yeah, Neo Nazis should be removed from pretty much everywhere, and for better reasons that PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom