• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenith

Banned
Funniest comment though was from my dad (who works in the area) when I asked him about the OccupyPhilly people, He said the setup and people were"absolutely pathetic" and apparently had no numbers or any type of support. lol

I don't get what the joke was. Seems more like you posted it because it was the one that conformed most to your PoV. Just like your aborted attempt at a "funny" OWS sign thread.

akira28

Is it all that funny? I seem to remember a time when if you were at all against the "wars" between 1965 and 2010, you were marginalized as part of the extreme. Peace movements everywhere were compared with traitors, called Communists, and anti-American. You couldn't just be a citizen, you had to be a commie or a pinko or a member of Code Pink. Even when people cite specific instances of Tea Party extreme behavior it gets minimized with some attempt at justification or false equivalency.

Dude Abides

Banned
JohnnyPhatsaqs said:
What's even worse is that it's acceptable for that to be considered fringe when referring to OWS. With the Tea Party, one asshole is considered representative of the whole thing.

Considered by who? The passive voice is doing more work than it can bear for you here.

travisbickle said:
People are in the 99% by default of their economic position.

They might be in the 99% technically but they don't have to be a part of the artificial 99% that OWS is creating. You can still favor a change but just not like how these people are going about it and what their solutions are. They don't speak for me and I'm in the 99% (I agree with small points but their overall direction I disagree with).

aronnov reborn said:
You realize you're on a liberal message board right? Dont waste your time in topics like this until you're probably a member just to be safe.

I don't care if it's a liberal board. I'm not exactly a message board virgin, and I'm used to that. That doesn't mean I'm just going to nod and go with the flow. Not my problem if people have a problem with an opposing point of view.

And if I get banned from NeoGaf, I don't really care either. If I get banned for not being a liberal, then so be it

venne

aronnov reborn said:
You realize you're on a liberal message board right? Dont waste your time in topics like this until you're probably a member just to be safe.
Neogaf left wing conspiracy confirmed!

JohnnyPhatsaqs said:
I don't care if it's a liberal board. I'm not exactly a message board virgin, and I'm used to that. That doesn't mean I'm just going to nod and go with the flow. Not my problem if people have a problem with an opposing point of view.

And if I get banned from NeoGaf, I don't really care either. If I get banned for not being a liberal, then so be it

Hey I can relate. I'm very conservative for example. Just trying to give you some friendly advice. I've seen too many Juniors fall.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
"We were able to turn off the power remotely," Brennan said. "The locations still remain lit for general foot traffic, but there's no power for your PlayStation."

Yep, these protesters are just lazy, video game playing slackers. lol

EDIT: Apparantly, some people don't understand sarcasm.

el retorno de los sapos said:
They might be in the 99% technically but they don't have to be a part of the artificial 99% that OWS is creating. You can still favor a change but just not like how these people are going about it and what their solutions are. They don't speak for me and I'm in the 99% (I agree with small points but their overall direction I disagree with).

They are peaceful protests, without which there would be no audible dialogue* regarding the inequities. We, as a world, are a long way from solutions/direction/the end game but without this diversion from the route the world was taking you would not have a voice at all.

*by audible dialogue I mean people actually bloody talking about the disparity between the haves and have nots, it has been documented for years/decades.

richiek said:
Yep, these protesters are just lazy, video game playing slackers. lol

Well they seem to be able to afford expensive iOS products (which is humorous considering that Android isn't a totally closed system subject to Apples whims...unless it's hacked), so why can't they have video game systems too.

Dude Abides said:
And now we're back to the "you have no right to complain unless you're wearing rags and starving" "argument."
Well, despite your attempt to try and make hilarious logic leaps like that, no one but yourself and OWS supporters has said criticizing the spending and buying habits of squatters is invalid. You don't need to buy super expensive consumer goods, but rationalize their behavior if it makes you feel better.

Dude Abides

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Well, despite your attempt to try and make hilarious logic leaps like that, no one but yourself and OWS supporters has said criticizing the spending and buying habits of squatters is invalid. You don't need to buy super expensive consumer goods, but rationalize their behavior if it makes you feel better.

I realize ad hominem is easier than making an actual argument, for you at least.

Wazzim

Banned
Man this thread has gone down the drain. We could stop attacking each group and start using proper arguments again.

Deku

Banned
dave is ok said:
I agree, but how do we keep Manos from posting?

Why do you need to do that? If people get flustered over Manos posting barbs at the, then maybe those people should stop posting too.

Also, there's been serveral posts where its just posters complaining how many posts he has in this thread, adding nothing to the discussion.

Despite the intent of the OP, starting fresh and all that, I don't believe it was ever the idea to have an OWS lovein where lefties and anarchists declare how righteous they are. Sorry but not everyone agrees. And even sympathetic people find some of the antics detestable.

Wazzim

Banned
dave is ok said:
I agree, but how do we keep Manos from posting?
If you want to achieve that you should ignore him. Just stop responding to him. Don't put him on 'ignore' (I hate that feature on GAF) because he may post good posts in other threads.

Wazzim said:
If you want to achieve that you should ignore him. Just stop responding to him. Don't put him on 'ignore' (I hate that feature on GAF) because he may post good posts in other threads.
yeah, about that.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Deku said:
Why do you need to do that? If people get flustered over Manos posting barbs at the, then maybe those people should stop posting too.

Also, there's been serveral posts where its just posters complaining how many posts he has in this thread, adding nothing to the discussion.

Could it be because he made a vow to stay out of this thread in the interest of civility, and has broken his promise so many times that he now has the highest post count in here?

noah111

Still Alive
richiek said:
Could it be because he made a vow to stay out of this thread in the interest of civility, and has broken his promise so many times that he now has the highest post count in here?
BUT HE PWOMISED!!

Let's grow up a bit, this is a discussion forum, people discuss shit. Discussions often involve debates. dealwithit.jpg

Sentry said:
BUT HE PWOMISED!!

Let's grow up a bit, this is a discussion forum, people discuss shit. Discussions often involve debates. dealwithit.jpg
Debates are supposed to involve intellectual honesty.

badcrumble said:
http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/raw-video-pedestrian-hit-by-car-in-downtown/vD4pp/

Footage of a driver deliberately running over a protester in Oakland. Fucking disgusting; I hope someone got the driver's plate numbers and makes him pay.

There's hardly anyone protesting and shit like this is happening. Allegedly a cop executed a dog at the Oakland protests, I don't want to bring the wrath down on the cops from the entire population of GAF so wait for confirmation of the dog killing.

Right now there's a minority of people gathering at protest out of frustration, if the economy/outlook doesn't change more people will gather, what's going to happen when there's a reasonable turnout to these things? military law?

dave is ok said:
The guy who got hit by the car looked like an asshole. He was banging on the hood of the car.
I guess that means he deserved to get run over, then.

He was pretty clearly mad because the guy in the car was trying to shove his way through a line of pedestrians - an intent he quickly made all too chillingly clear.

BMAN

badcrumble said:
I guess that means he deserved to get run over, then.

He was pretty clearly mad because the guy in the car was trying to shove his way through a line of pedestrians - an intent he quickly made all too chillingly clear.

From what I can tell in the video, the car had a green light. Pedestrian traffic should of stopped.

rSpooky

BMAN said:
From what I can tell in the video, the car had a green light. Pedestrian traffic should of stopped.
"Should have stopped" /sorry pet peeve of mine.

In any case green means youhave the right of way sure, it does not mean you dont have to watch where you are going or that you can run over/crash into anyone that didnt pay attention.

edit: and yes it looks like the pedestrian was being a dick.But that is besides the point.

Jangocube

Banned
Ah, teenagers always ruin things. It was bound to come to this, but hopefully the movement start being selective about who rallies with them in the future. Though, that's pretty impossible given the message.

Gaborn

aronnov reborn said:

Actually this is a gaming board. The problem is some people mistake a board with a lot of liberals for a board that has to maintain a liberal orthodoxy. (see the poster above calling for Manos to sit down and shut up)

BMAN

I think both the driver and the pedestrians saw each other. In the video the car clearly slows down to a crawl to give sufficient time for the pedestrians to move. In my opinion the pedestrians where trying to cause a problem maybe because the car is Benz. Either way the pedestrians shouldn't have been there. I don`t feel much sympathy for the guy who got run over.

BMAN said:
I think both the driver and the pedestrians saw each other. In the video the car clearly slows down to a crawl to give sufficient time for the pedestrians to move. In my opinion the pedestrians where trying to cause a problem maybe because the car is Benz. Either way the pedestrians shouldn't have been there. I don`t feel much sympathy for the guy who got run over.
simply amazing that people are defending this

marrec

Banned
BMAN said:

Wow.

A dude banging on your hood is not a reason to run him down. I don't think that argument is going to hold up in court.

Apparently the Oakland cops protected the guy in the car until he could get away, too. Literally aiding and abetting a hit and run. Disgusting.

You're right, he should have just let someone beat on his car. Who's to say the person wasn't frightened and defending themselves.

If I'm driving on around, and someone jumps in front of my car and starts banging on it and cussing at me, I take that as a threat and run them down as well. Especially if I had my family in the car. Who's to say this person wouldn't have tried to drag them out and beat them? You don't want bad shit to happen to you, don't threaten people and damage their property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom