• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October is National Cookie Month: Share your favorite cookies and recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Info on National Cookie Month!

When is National Cookie Month?
October is National Cookie Month.

What is this Holiday for?
This holiday is for honoring and enjoying the sweet flavor of cookies and sharing them with friends and family. Let this holiday bring new fond memories of days to come. Let today be the day you learn to bake new cookie recipes and learn to decorate a cookie in a new way. Let today be the day you buy a new cookie cutter and enjoy using it by baking homemade cookies for your family. Let today be the day you sit down with a tall cold glass of milk or hot coffee, a large plate of fresh cookies, and have no guilt at eating them all up.

Origin of this Holiday?
Our research did not find the creator, or the origin of this day.
This holiday is referred to as a "National" day. However, we did not find any congressional records or presidential proclamations for this day. Even though we didn't, this is still a holiday that is publicized to celebrate. So have fun with it and celebrate it!

What is the definition of a cookie?
In the United States and Canada, a cookie is a small, flat baked dessert. In most English-speaking countries outside North America, the most common word for this is biscuit; in many regions both terms are used, while in others the two words have different meanings—a cookie is a plain bun in Scotland, while in the United States a biscuit is a kind of quick bread not unlike a scone.

Its name derives from the Dutch word koekje or (informal) koekie which means little cake, and arrived in the English language through the Dutch in North America. It spread from American English to British English where biscuit is still the more general term.
resource: wikipedia

Types of cookies
Cookies are most commonly baked until crisp or just long enough that they remain soft, but some kinds of cookies are not baked at all. Cookies are made in a wide variety of styles, using an array of ingredients including sugars, spices, chocolate, butter, peanut butter, nuts or dried fruits. The softness of the cookie may depend on how long it is baked.

Dropped Cookies
Rolled Cookies
Pressed Cookies
Refrigerator Cookies
Molded Cookies
Bar Cookies
Sandwich Cookies
Fried Cookies
Twice Baked Cookies

528476_10151088494827jyppe.jpg

Cookie Monster - Share it Maybe!

Me got a wish on me mind
It is a chocolate chip kind
Me look at you and me tell
You may have snickerdoodle

Me trade me soul for a bite
Me spell it out black and white
Me look at you and me see
You like an elf in a tree

You, cookie-showing
And me hunger growing
Let’s get skim milk flowing
We’ll start this snack going baby

Hey, me just met you
And this is crazy
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

It’s hard to look at
Your snack baby
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

Hey, me just met you
And this is crazy
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

Cuppy-cake with frosting
It don’t phase me
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

You took you time with the bite
Me trying to stay polite
Me start to really freak out
Please someone call the girl scout

Me no grumble or grouse
It’s taking toll on me house
Me going off me rocker
Please give me Betty Crocker

You, cookie-showing
And me hunger growing
Let’s get skim milk flowing
We’ll start this snack going baby

Hey, me just met you
And this is crazy
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

It’s hard to look at
Your snack baby
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

Hey, me just met you
And this is crazy
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

Pie and ice cream
It don’t phase me
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

Before you came into me life
Me missed you so bad
Me missed you so bad
Me missed you so, so bad

Before you came into me life
Me missed you so bad
And you should know that
Me missed you so, so bad

It’s hard to look at your snack, baby
But you got cookie, so share it maybe

Hey, me just met you
And this is crazy
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

Chocolate pudding
It no phase me
But you got cookie
So share it maybe

NPR Article!

Michelle Obama Bests Ann Romney In Cookie Contest

October 4, 2012

Michelle Obama has bested Ann Romney in Family Circle magazine's latest "First Lady Cookie Contest." It's been held for 20 years, since Hillary Rodham Clinton tweaked cookie bakers everywhere with a derisive comment to her own critics that she "could have stayed home and baked cookies" rather than pursue her career." And while it's meant as good, tasty fun, it does have its critics, who wonder if a potential First Gentlemen would be asked to prove himself by baking cookies. Audie Cornish and Melissa Block have more.

owen1.gif

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies Recipe!

271187.jpg

Chocolate Cutout Cookies Recipe!

47631.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The girlfriend and I made these a couple of months ago - chocolate chip and honey glazed bacon cookies with bacon themed icing

Easy to make just modifying a chocolate chip cookie recipe to add chopped and lightly fried bacon (which had been lightly coated in honey) into the dough before baking. Icing was done after cookies had cooled by piping on stripes of pink and white icing.

The bacon flavour ends up quite subtle, but great when you bite into a piece and you get a smokey savoury, slightly salty flavour coming through, complementing the sweetness of the cookie.

Regular chocolate chip cookies are no longer satisfying.

Commodore

Looks yummy. I might try and make these!

I can confirm these are godly. Time for the cookie dough to...marinate plus the touch of sea salt to bring out the flavor are paramount. There's not many things that bring me as much satisfaction as freshly baked, 3 day maninated versions of these cookies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
mVTFZ.jpg

No Bakes all day every day.

If I gotta go store bought I'll go with some Windmill cookies or some Nutterbutters if I'm feelin nasty.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I'm a simple fellow: I like Rainbow Chips Deluxe.

Are xanax ambien cookies a thing.

We'll call them Xanambiens.

Kettch

And while it's meant as good, tasty fun, it does have its critics, who wonder if a potential First Gentlemen would be asked to prove himself by baking cookies.

Bill Clinton in a cookie contest would be awesome.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
1708720.jpg

I love these because you can eat them as intended, or mix-and-match them to have a bunch of regular Oreos or a bunch of golden Oreos. How versatile. Unfortunately, while Oreos are probably my favorite store-bought cookie, I can only eat after dunking them in milk. They're so bland to me otherwise.

Sadsic

my family actually has a secret recipe for really damn good cookies. if i ever cant figure out what to do in life ill just sell it to the highest bidder

Zebra

I've been trying to cut the sugar in my diet down.

Are there any great sugar-free cookie recipes of any kind? Or is sugar so integral to the structure of a cookie that whatever spawn such a recipe would birth could not be considered a cookie? :(

I didn't know there was a national cookie month but I'm in!

I make these around the holidays and give them away to people, neighbors, friends, co-workers, ect..

pXdUwl.jpg

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies I've tried many recipes over the years but this one is the best.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/02/thick-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/

Edit: Wait what was the winning cookie from the first lady?

Get those fuckin' raisins out of there and replace them with chocolate chips, where do you think you are?! Trust me when I say most people are disappointed as shit when they get your cookies and there are raisins in them instead of chocolate chips.

I didn't know there was a national cookie month but I'm in!

I make these around the holidays and give them away to people, neighbors, friends, co-workers, ect..

pXdUwl.jpg

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies I've tried many recipes over the years but this one is the best.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/02/thick-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/
Thank you for this. I've been on the search (admittedly a lazy search) for an excellent oatmeal raisin cookie recipe.

Edit:
Fruit in cookies is the worst creation in mankind's history.
Nuh-uh, you're the worst creation in mankind's history!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom