• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October OXM Disc Impressions

Chi-Town

Video-wise, they have the Halo 2 theater teaser.

Demos

Def Jam:Fight For NY: You get to try out story mode which isn't very much. They give you a cut scene setting up a fight. You then fight this guy in the middle of a flaming circle inside a warehouse. It doesn't take much effort or time to beat the guy and then they give you another cut scene and the demo kicks you back to the OXM menu. They also let you try a one-on-one fight via battle mode which has some more meat to it. You get to pick from a couple of the featured rappers(like Busta Rhymes or Ludacris) and fight it out surrounded by a crowd. The graphics are nice but the fighting action didn't do much for me.

Blinx 2: They fixed Blinx! This feels so much more polished than the first game. Unlike EA, this demo gives you a cat tutorial and 3 levels, a pig tutorial and levels(haven't gone thru those yet). They also let you try the 2 player co-op for both as well.

Colin McRae Rally 2005: If you like rally games you'll probably like this.

Galleon: Interesting but the graphics do seem dated and the fighting feels clunky.

Silent Hill 4:Really nice graphics and very creepy and weird.

Second Sight: Just played a little bit of this but it seems pretty cool. Best description would be Metal Gear Solid meets Psi-Ops.

Reviews

Burnout 3: 9.3
Guilty Gear X2: 8.9
Ultra Bust-A-Move: 8.8
Silent Hill 4: 8.0
Catwoman: 4.3
Pro Fishing Challenge: 6.8
Sudeki: 6.5
ESPN NHL 2k5: 8.7
NHL 2005: 8.5
Street Racing Syndicate: 7.7
Shellshock Nam 67: 6.4

TEH H0TTNESS! When's this issue hit stores? Isn't it like September 16th or something? I'm a subscriber, so I should get it a little earlier.

Off topic, but OCTOBER!

It's still August on my calander. Magazines are so screwed up when it comes to dating issues.

gunstarhero

Blinx 2: They fixed Blinx! This feels so much more polished than the first game. Unlike EA, this demo gives you a cat tutorial and 3 levels, a pig tutorial and levels(haven't gone thru those yet). They also let you try the 2 player co-op for both as well.

More info please?! :)

Does Blinx feel quicker? (his speed bugged me in the first game) - How are the graphics/animation?

robot

gunstarhero said:
More info please?! :)

Does Blinx feel quicker? (his speed bugged me in the first game) - How are the graphics/animation?

We got Blinx back Mikey, we got Blinx back! We're probably the only 2 people excited about this game. The quest for mysterious chocolate continues!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey, quick question...

Can anybody confirm whether or not SH4 on the XBOX has 480p support?

Chi-Town

"Off topic, but OCTOBER!

It's still August on my calander. Magazines are so screwed up when it comes to dating issues."

To be fair, subscribers get the issue a little earlier. This issue won't be on the shelves(probably) til September.

"Rumors?"

No rumors this month.

"Ouch. What'd they say? I already know Burnout will be godlike so it's the only curiousity I can muster."

They say it's a by-the-book shooter with pre-scripted events in place of good AI.

"More info please?!

Does Blinx feel quicker? (his speed bugged me in the first game) - How are the graphics/animation?"

It looks as pretty as the first one but it does feel faster. The gameplay just feels more solid this time.

"Hey, quick question...

Can anybody confirm whether or not SH4 on the XBOX has 480p support?"

The demo runs at 480p.

Chi-Town

Played through the pig-stealth levels of Blinx 2 and it was just as fun as the cat part of the game. The pig's space gadgets are really cool(I personally enjoy the black hole).

They also have a great video demonstration of Ubi Soft's Brothers in Arms. Looks really good. They blend the tactics of Full Spectrum Warrior with a FPS.

Chi-Town

Deepthroat said:
Did they say anything if the Xbox have some exclusive content of any kind? Akira said he wanted to include unique content to the PS2 and Xbox versions.

They didn't mention any.

Chi-Town

Ooops, seems I missed part of the Def Jam demo, they also let you try out battle mode. I've edited my initial impressions to reflect that.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
bjork said:
Galleon is playable? Cool. Try before I buy!

Wish I would have :( It will not be your Pirate fix. Dissapointing. I don't want to go to far into it, but a lot of the little things that are lovely about it are drowned away in repetitive combat and poor camera positioning. It isn't constant, but it's frequent when you don't want it to be. A real shame.

3rdman

I loved Galleon and although I'm not thrilled with the way combat was handled, I still loved it. It's also a game that I recognize as "not for everyone", but I can (quite easily) recomend it to anyone who liked the 1st Tomb Raider. The level design is TOP NOTCH and very reminiscent of the best Lara Croft ever had to offer.

jedimike

Some great demos...

Colin McRae Rally 2005 - I havent played CMR since number 2, but I think RSC 1 & 2 have spoiled me rotten. I thought CMR was going to be a sim, but on the demo it felt like the cars had one big greasy wheel right in the middle. Handling was crap and the environments were bland. Cars looked pretty, but that's about the only good thing I could find in the demo.

Top Bottom