• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October Wrasslin' |OT| I'm seein' double here...

Heroman

Banned
7283b99bc98c3f18247059f566fe62f5--lwren-scott-scott-hall.jpg

2007 is often cited as another contender for worst year, but it wasn't all bad outside of the US. Of course, that was the Benoit year.

Still, I have to think it's something in the 2000-2003 range. WWE stood alone, while TNA and ROH were finding their way. You had the mess of Philly indies like CZW and Chikara. You had IWA-MS and Jersey All Pro Wrestling. Europe wasn't vibrant. NJPW was still gripped by Inokism. AJPW was practically dead. NOAH was awesome. CMLL and AA were still going.

JEEZUS, NOAH's Great Voyage in Yokohama Vol. 2 show from today isn't airing until October 8, which means it won't be up in the Real Hero Archive until after that.

Also, for fuck's sake, Scott D'Amore had to pull out of his match due to injury. He was half the reason I wanted to see this show.

2007 is often cited as another contender for worst year, but it wasn't all bad outside of the US. Of course, that was the Benoit year.

Still, I have to think it's something in the 2000-2003 range. WWE stood alone, while TNA and ROH were finding their way. You had the mess of Philly indies like CZW and Chikara. You had IWA-MS and Jersey All Pro Wrestling. Europe wasn't vibrant. NJPW was still gripped by Inokism. AJPW was practically dead. NOAH was awesome. CMLL and AA were still going.

2003 works for me. WCW is dead, Heyman gets axed as Smackdown head writer in February which causes the decline and eventual end of the Smackdown Six. Raw is at peek Hunter kills everyone.

2002 would be a candidate too (HHH, Kate Vick was 2002) if Paul Heyman and the Smackdown Six didn't single handedly make a part of WWE must see TV

Been 5 years since the last European wrestler was inducted, guessing Otto might be inducted this year just for his work as a promoter.

Shame that so many who vote are either entirely ignorant of European wrestling, or have an agenda. Big Daddy should absolutely be in there, but a few of the old UK guard who're still around despise him, and Dave follows suit with ridiculous dismissive shit like "Matt LeBlanc's a bigger star in the UK than Big Daddy". The man died in 1997, but I'd wager the majority of people my age and older know who he is, even if they know nothing about wrestling. He was a shit wrestler, advanced beyond his ability thanks (in part) to nepotism, but also was hugely popular and very visible in pop culture during the '70s and '80s.

Kendo Nagasaki should probably be in as well, but you add Kendo then you invalidate one of the biggest dismissals of Big Daddy: he was all gimmick. Pallo was another guy who was very popular (he wasn't called Mr. TV for nothing) but suffers because so much of his work hasn't survived and, again, he wasn't a wrestler's wrestler. Rocco very much was, but isn't a popular pick. Comparatively, Saint is undoubtedly popular enough for inclusion, but has his detractors who hate that flashy lightweight style. Ricky Starr and Billy Joyce are too old, next to no footage remains and I doubt they get many votes. Hoffman's body of work is too small for inclusion, probably.

2007 is a terrible year behind the scenes. Benoit and a mountain of wrestler deaths. Undertaker and Cena are out for a good chunk of the year thanks to injuries. Mr. Kennedy's rocket loses steam. Big roid scandal.

Creatively, TNA loses all hope of becoming a viable contender to WWE when they put all their eggs in the Kurt Angle basket and squander AJ and Joe.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
2007 is a terrible year behind the scenes. Benoit and a mountain of wrestler deaths. Undertaker and Cena are out for a good chunk of the year thanks to injuries. Mr. Kennedy's rocket loses steam. Big roid scandal.

Creatively, TNA loses all hope of becoming a viable contender to WWE when they put all their eggs in the Kurt Angle basket and squander AJ and Joe.
270179b.jpg

But we got this gem

RIP Beefy, see ya on the other side of the ban!

If he needs a replacement for GWF, I'm throwing my name in the ring shaped hat once again as well!

Mahonay

Banned
Beefy got got for 2 months?

jerichosignrip.gif

It's an understandable time to get heated right now. Been banned for similar reasons twice now. Both were just a month though.

Went out to my mom's today. Had a get-together before my bro leaves with the Guard or whatevz. He's a bombastic, conservative cop, too, right? I had put the football game on, on mute. He rolls in like "why is this on," of course. I'm like "watchin' some rad football, brother. You mad about knees?" He's like "yeah!" I'm like "you think these dudes didn't have differing views from your own before last week?" He was like "they can do what they want, but I have the right to not give them my money!" And I was like "good thing you didn't turn on this game then, huh?" And he was left speechless and flustered. It was great.

And then I was like "you dudes wanna play some bocce ball or what?" And we all went and played bocce. And my brother and I were on a team and won. God bless.

So that blue lives matter pic was actually yours, defending the actions of your brother q:

Also #freebeeffy #takezach

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Multiple mods have been receiving several complaints about the wrassle threads over the past few months. We can't constantly babysit the thread, so if you all can't figure out how to get your act together without all the bickering, metacommentary, backseat modding, and trolling, we'll help make the decision for you.

Sephzilla

Multiple mods have been receiving several complaints about the wrassle threads over the past few months. We can't constantly babysit the thread, so if you all can't figure out how to get your act together without all the bickering, metacommentary, backseat modding, and trolling, we'll help make the decision for you.
I'm honestly curious what prompted this message, just a bunch of people being sad that a community member got banned?

Fox318

Been 5 years since the last European wrestler was inducted, guessing Otto might be inducted this year just for his work as a promoter.

Shame that so many who vote are either entirely ignorant of European wrestling, or have an agenda. Big Daddy should absolutely be in there, but a few of the old UK guard who're still around despise him, and Dave follows suit with ridiculous dismissive shit like "Matt LeBlanc's a bigger star in the UK than Big Daddy". The man died in 1997, but I'd wager the majority of people my age and older know who he is, even if they know nothing about wrestling. He was a shit wrestler, advanced beyond his ability thanks (in part) to nepotism, but also was hugely popular and very visible in pop culture during the '70s and '80s.

Kendo Nagasaki should probably be in as well, but you add Kendo then you invalidate one of the biggest dismissals of Big Daddy: he was all gimmick. Pallo was another guy who was very popular (he wasn't called Mr. TV for nothing) but suffers because so much of his work hasn't survived and, again, he wasn't a wrestler's wrestler. Rocco very much was, but isn't a popular pick. Comparatively, Saint is undoubtedly popular enough for inclusion, but has his detractors who hate that flashy lightweight style. Ricky Starr and Billy Joyce are too old, next to no footage remains and I doubt they get many votes. Hoffman's body of work is too small for inclusion, probably.
Learning about European wrestling has been really fascinating. It's crazy to me how Big Daddy is excluded but the concept of a hall of fame for a scripted sport is odd to begin with.

There isn't really a concrete stat on what makes a hall of famer.

A Match?
Drawing Power?
Program?
How much they were pushed?

So many things factor in.

Top Bottom