• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch |OT| Because no one else made a thread.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gLyAbg6.gif

Hi. How are you? This is a thread for the game called Octodad. It came out on PC a long time ago, but as of yesterday, it's now available on PS4 in the US. It costs $15 or $11.99 if you have PSN Plus (for now). I don't think it's coming out on anything else, but I'm not sure. I bought it because it looks fun and I have nothing else to play right now.

Octodad is a game where you control an octopus pretending to be human a normal human being, (NOTHING TO SEE HERE) and have to navigate every day situations by controlling Octodad's limbs with the analog sticks. Or a Move controller, if you bought one for some reason. You get to play with physics and throw shit around, it's pretty cool.

FwxUBt8.gif

Here's the wikipedia page in case you're too stupid to google information about the game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octodad:_Dadliest_Catch

Here's the NeoGAF review thread in case you want to read a video game expert's opinion of the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760529

So that's it. End of thread.

XenoRaven

I've been wanting to play this ever since E3. I could have just bought the PC version but I opted to wait for the PS4 release. Gonna play the hell out of this when I get home.

gadwn

So how does the mulitplayer/ co-op work? Can I use several DS4's for it or do I need Move controllers? Is it 4 players?

And...is it fun or just frustrating? :D

PseudoViper

Late, but there was a steam sale for this yesterday. Not sure if it's still going tho. I think it was like a daily grab.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Had some leftover credit in my PSN account so got it downloading for when I get home. Looking forward to it, but I worry that it's best enjoyed with Move controllers and all that (which I don't have).

And...is it fun or just frustrating? :D

It's extremely fun, although a bit too easy at times. That's coming from someone who was extremely skeptical about the title going in.

You do have to take the time (seconds) to understand how the walking mechanic works though. Otherwise you will frustrate yourself, especially on the last stage.

KalBalboa

Banned
Dual moves are more frustrating than the usual dualshock approach, but still a lot of fun. I need to try cooperative with them.

I'm really enjoying it so far except for this: is anyone else having trouble with the Move? It keeps saying Move not detected because it goes either too high or too low out of the camera's sight. I sit about 7 feet away from the camera which is mounted on top of my TV.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just got that Trim Your Mustache trophy by pure accident. One moment I'm feeling slick for throwing that bird house on the hook...

Play this game, folks.

ReaperXL7

Game is awesome, playing the game with my four year old is bringing tons of fun.

Well worth the price on PS4 in my opinion.

Bumbled my way through the wedding last night before going to bed. Had a smile on the entire time. Super charming.

Has anyone tried co-op with two DS4s? Haven't heard anything about it but I'm assuming that one person controls the legs and the other the arms? Whatever the case, I can't wait to try it out with a friend.

Seems like a good game to drink to.

Might seem weird to most, but I waited for the PS4 version because I wanted Move controls. I'm glad I did. Dumb game gets dumber with motion controls (in a good way). I'm enjoying it so far.

zma1013

Wait, wait, wait... hold on a second... are you telling me Octodad is really an Octopus in disguise? I didn't suspect a thing.

played through this today. my first gaming in three days (my wife had our first child on Sunday)

it was pretty good getting the "worlds greatest dad" trophy.

love the game so wacky and fun!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Okay so I have a question. I played this on the kiosk demo and found it enjoyable but wanted to tear my eyes out because of the controls. Are the controls any more precise/easier on the final version? I understand that's kind of the point, and I'm down with that, but it was unbelievably frustrating in the demo. This is the type of game I really want to love.

Eterniti

I saw Giant Bomb's QL for the game weeks ago where they played the part in the supermarket and noticed that the tower of boxes you had to climb up to the get the juice was pushed to the side (versus being in the middle of the walkway on Giant Bomb's Quick Look. I also heard that there's a bunch of stealth missions that got ripped from the PS4 version that used to be on the PC version as well, but I haven't encountered that issue yet.

Aside from that, bought it when it went live ASAP yesterday and loving it. I've already posted a couple of videos on my FB.

Played and beat last night. Very hilarious game and to me it was worth the $12.

For people worrying about length, I beat it in about 2 hours first go.

Kerned

Banned
My wife and I played co-op last night up to the aquarium. I don't think either of us are sure if we are coming down on the side of "fun" or "frustrating." Probably more frustrating to be honest.

I was really excited for this until I saw a review that mentioned frustrating stealth levels - I hate stealth levels.

Still, looks unique. I might have to take the plunge.

My wife and I played co-op last night up to the aquarium. I don't think either of us are sure if we are coming down on the side of "fun" or "frustrating." Probably more frustrating to be honest.

In co-op each person controls one limb, right?

That sounds just too good. lol

Lucent

lol I was being a complete ass at the beginning of the game after the opening music. I was breaking everything in the cupboard and ignoring the kids going "ooohhhh" lol. I also threw things in the fire, stuffed things in the stove, and poured chocolate milk everywhere. I even threw stuff over the fence and burned the kids hamburgers.

And somehow nobody suspects a thing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
lol I was being a complete ass at the beginning of the game after the opening music. I was breaking everything in the cupboard and ignoring the kids going "ooohhhh" lol. I also threw things in the fire, stuffed things in the stove, and poured chocolate milk everywhere. I even threw stuff over the fence and burned the kids hamburgers.

And somehow nobody suspects a thing.

I chucked pretty much everything in the backyard over the fence into the neighbor's yard. My version of Octodad isn't just clumsy, he's kind of a dick.

Gaz_RB

Playing this game coop is hilarious. GF controls right side, I control left. Couldn't stop laughing.

I chucked pretty much everything in the backyard over the fence into the neighbor's yard. My version of Octodad isn't just clumsy, he's kind of a dick.

I did the same thing! lol

Top Bottom