• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch |OT| Because no one else made a thread.

Lucent

I chucked pretty much everything in the backyard over the fence into the neighbor's yard. My version of Octodad isn't just clumsy, he's kind of a dick.

lol exactly what I was going for.

The premise is ridiculous though. Just, you know, he's an octopus and somehow the wife understands them, and they had two human kids together. He had to have taken those clothes off to even go into the process of making them. It's just silly. lol

Kerned

Banned
In co-op each person controls one limb, right?

That sounds just too good. lol

I controlled the left arm and leg, she controlled the right. It's ridiculous in a good way, but it might lean too far towards frustrating. I've yet to play solo, so that might be far more forgiving. Ok, not "might," there is no way it won't. You can have up to four players, each on a separate limb. It would be madness.

daveo42

Banned
Thanks for posting the OT OP. Was wondering if there was going to be one or not...

I played through the game early this morning and I found it to be hilarious in some parts, especially the Octo's reactions to certain comments, while having some pretty decent sequences and even the small emotional tug here and there. The game did have some more frustrating moments when fine motor control would have been fantastic. It falls within the insanity of an octopus walking around on dry land, but climbing almost any object was a nightmare. A portion of ending sequence had me a bit frustrated as well by the end of it.

I'd like to try out the co-op with a few friends and that's about all I have left for the game. Depending on what you personally get out of it will determine if you thought it was worth the cost. I did.

Played a teeny tiny bit yesterday via remote play and a tiny bit more at home. Hard to get the hang of things on the Vita, but silly good fun on the PS4.

Foshy

It's fucking hilarious in multiplayer. I've started playing it with my sister, we're just laughing all the time.

Birathen

It's fucking hilarious in multiplayer. I've started playing it with my sister, we're just laughing all the time.

Local MP? I bought it today but it hasnt dled yet. Been so long since I spin up the ps4, gonna be good to get a reason again.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Local MP? I bought it today but it hasnt dled yet. Been so long since I spin up the ps4, gonna be good to get a reason again.

Local only.

Online would be kinda hilarious, especially with lag factored in. People would get pissed.

Playing this game coop is hilarious. GF controls right side, I control left. Couldn't stop laughing.

christ, that's even crazier than one person controlling the arms and another the legs. I also read 4 players control the 4 extremities.

Next gen QWOP-OP indeed.

lol exactly what I was going for.

The premise is ridiculous though. Just, you know, he's an octopus and somehow the wife understands them, and they had two human kids together. He had to have taken those clothes off to even go into the process of making them. It's just silly. lol

Octodad is self-conscious about his body.
Lights off during the whole process, man.

I controlled the left arm and leg, she controlled the right. It's ridiculous in a good way, but it might lean too far towards frustrating. I've yet to play solo, so that might be far more forgiving. Ok, not "might," there is no way it won't. You can have up to four players, each on a separate limb. It would be madness.

I'm so gonna try this. lol

lol I was being a complete ass at the beginning of the game after the opening music. I was breaking everything in the cupboard and ignoring the kids going "ooohhhh" lol. I also threw things in the fire, stuffed things in the stove, and poured chocolate milk everywhere. I even threw stuff over the fence and burned the kids hamburgers.

And somehow nobody suspects a thing.

I took the axe and attempted to murder my family. Sadly it doesn't work.

Does Dadliest Catch include the original's content, or was that more prototype-y and not really worth including?

Edit: Downloading the student game. But it would be nice if Dadliest Catch included the original material with the nicer graphics and physics Dadliest Catch seems to have, looking at the trailer.

LakeEarth

How am I supposed to get the Secret Shopper achievement? The faster I go, the faster she grabs it.

EDIT - I'm supposed to go OVER it to avoid triggering the cutscene? That's less fun than I thought.

Shinjiru

I can't wait until this weekend when I can play this some more. I only played about 10-15 minutes of it yesterday and it was awesome.

LakeEarth

Wow, the trophies are so weird. Uh... I wonder if they're hard.

They definitely are. Other than "beat the game" they are mostly achievements you get for doing odd stuff, ie. throwing the wedding ring on from a distance. You have to know what the achievements are before you can get them.

And they're all bronzes too. What's up with that?

Blugh.

PS4 doesn't support the PS3 camera does it?

Can't find a damn PS4 camera anywhere and I really want to play this with Move controls with my friends on Saturday.

Z3M0G

Played the first few levels last night. Awesome game. I'd love to try this with many players some time. I hope it works great via remote play, which I would use as a 3rd controller.

The ties are pretty hard to find at times, and are found in hilarious ways.

wildfire

Banned
I tried this game out at PAX since I couldn't for the life of me figure out how this game blew up to the level of popularity it has now.

After playing it I understand now why people enjoy it. Like Papers Please it is a great blend of game mechanics with presentation value.

It is one of the few games that will make you laugh through its game mechanics. Comedic games are rare. The concept is simple but frustrating enough to make excelling at and making you think carefully about the position, movement and grip of your hand a worthwhile experience.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
FwxUBt8.gif

FUCK YO BANANAS

MazeHaze

Banned
OMG I'm on my second playthrough and I just realized you can use the PS4 touchpad to control the arm. It is waaaay easier.

Foshy

Finished it in 2-player co-op. Hilarious throughout. Need to play it in 4-player with roulette mode at some point.

OMG I'm on my second playthrough and I just realized you can use the PS4 touchpad to control the arm. It is waaaay easier.

Whoa, didn't realize this! Will try it later.

Just beat the game. It is a very magical game and I'd like to take this chance to give thanks to the creators for being able to bring out the childlike enjoyment I used to have with games back in the NES/SNES era. I couldn't stop goofing around and making noises myself, I always had a huge smile on my face, and every joke about his gurgles and the kid's dialogue made me laugh out loud. Like really loud.

It was an incredibly frustrating game, but in a fun away haha. I honestly think I hadn't enjoyed a game on the basic level in a long while. Thank you Octodad team, from the bottom of my heart. I'll be glad to support your next endeavors.

KalBalboa

Banned
Beat it just now.

I'm a big fan of how sentimental the game was. The characters were likable, genuinely sweet, and I was concerned for the family. I need to try the touchpad control now- I had no idea.

This was really special. Great work, team Octodad.

Bit if a spoiler for one of the later levels but I shared this footage of trying to get this damn tie. It actually look longer than the three minutes in the video but I edited down (took me about 15 minutes total lol)

*SPOILER*
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=828349423859360
*SPOILER*

I enjoyed it though the camera can make things more frustrating than it needs to be at times. My 7 year old loves it.

It was interesting how the daughter
saw the octopus in the water tank and instantly knew that was Octodad. Devs were most definitely going for the "daughters are much closer to their dad" angle there.

Here is the cool music from the last level:-
Final boss music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cDEmJW17Mk
Final boss
choir
music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVAMJb_Vbqw

The composer is just stellar. Five bucks says he eventually lands somewhere big.

Bought it as soon as it went live and beat it the same day. Hit 100% on trophies the next day and can't wait to play through it again. I've been waiting for this game since launch and it was well worth it. Randomized controls in co-op after every challenge is the next thing I want to try out.

The writing for octodad's kids is beyond irritating, the try-hard cutesy rugrats jokes are never funny and don't really suit the game. I'm 4 levels in and it's driving me nuts.

It was interesting how the daughter
saw the octopus in the water tank and instantly knew that was Octodad. Devs were most definitely going for the "daughters are much closer to their dad" angle there.

Here is the cool music from the last level:-
Final boss music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cDEmJW17Mk
Final boss
choir
music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVAMJb_Vbqw

The final boss song was the only thing that kept me from throwing away the controller in frustration at forcing such a derpy character having to do what he did in that scene haha. Loved it. This and the opening credits song are pretty great.

As to the spoilered comment, I agree. It seemed like
the daughter was the closest with the dad. I'm sure the son is closest with the mom though as he was mainly a bit kid bratty with the dad. But that's how all male boys tend to be though

The writing for octodad's kids is beyond irritating, the try-hard cutesy rugrats jokes are never funny and don't really suit the game. I'm 4 levels in and it's driving me nuts.

Disagreed. The writing for the daughter at least is freaking hilarious, especially all her lines in the aquarium like the "at this point mom would've held my hand but I appreciate how you don't as you want us to be more independent since you won't always be around" or something like that. I lol'd

Disagreed. The writing for the daughter at least is freaking hilarious, especially all her lines in the aquarium like the "at this point mom would've held my hand but I appreciate how you don't as you want us to be more independent since you won't always be around" or something like that. I lol'd
I agree, I found the daughter be terribly cute. Thank god too for as long as the dancing in the dark trophy took me to get.

So Im at the first chapter past the intro...his wife is cheating on him, isn't she? Got that vibe with the kids obviously, and that news reporter she was talking about

Top Bottom