• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octodad: Dadliest Catch |OT| Because no one else made a thread.

Dwayne

Can't for the life of me get him to walk forward using Move controller(s). Tried 2 moves (sensitivity seems insanely high?) and one. Hasn't picked up my navigation controller yet, will restart it and see what that's like. Just trying to get it setup so my wife can play it!

edit: Move + Navigation controller is great compared to Move by itself. FWIW, this game has no love for the left handed, and there isn't actually a way to select your control scheme - it just goes with whatever is connected when you press start. There's no sensitivity adjustment on the Move and the movement isn't 1:1. Tentacles don't rotate with the controller, and for the most part my tentacle is behind Octodad even though the controller is in front of me. I get that part of the game is that it has fustrating controls, but this is just bad support really.

Dwayne

Yeah, even with the navigation controller the move control is frustrating. Occasionally it does what you want, the rest of the time it's just a hassle. We'll switch to dualshock to finish the game up.

KalBalboa

Banned
I didn't expect to like the game as much I did. Quirky and oddly endearing, I smiled the entire time I played.

Things like the credits sequence where you can
walk out the theater exit after the credits with your family
helped give it that warm 'n fuzzy, yet funny, feeling.

Picked it up since I desperately need more to play on PS4. Quite amusing, don't find it frustrating at all, the controls make perfect sense (on a DS4), they're just suitably weird and awkward. Gonna try co-op later.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think I'm almost done. This game is too short, which is both criticism and praise. It's over too soon, but at the same time, it's left me wanting more. By the end of many games I feel like I've had enough or too much of what they have to offer, but I'm sitting here wishing I had more Octodad to play.

It's wacky, but charming in a way that I find reminiscent of the Dreamcast-era where developers weren't afraid to come up with a weird concept and commit to it. It's a lot of fun to play, and the premise would make for a really awesome Saturday morning cartoon. I never would have expected this but I'm a little sad that it's (almost) over.

KalBalboa

Banned
I kind of like how short it was. Probably, what, 3 hours if you just chug through it?

For me, the game is about difficult movement and exploration. Spending time going back through the ~dozen areas and finding each tie will let me burn out on the concept juuuuust around the time I accomplish all there is to do. The shorter length also means I'm more likely to beat it in co-op with my girlfriend.

I plan on getting drunk tonight with some friends and trying out the co-op mode. Should be a blast. Such an awesome concept and execution.

Do I need a PS4 camera for Move support or will my PlayStation Eye work on the PS4?

You have to use the new PS4 eye camera.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Having beat the PC version when it came out, and played through the PS4 version yesterday, I'm glad they took feedback and made tweaks to a few sections to make them less frustrating.

Specifically getting the orange soda, and a few bits later in the game.

Fedele

Just bought it through the PS Store, it's downloading so I will play it once I get home.

God, I love remote downloads.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just bought it through the PS Store, it's downloading so I will play it once I get home.

God, I love remote downloads.

I actually hopped on remote play last night just to get the grocery store trophy where you get to the cereal first. I love living in the future.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Making a blingee image for the OT banner is genius and I'm totally gonna copy that idea some day.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So if I were to use paypal to purchase this, do I have to really fund my account for $15 versus the $11.99

Are paypal purchases different than regular ones on PSN? Because regular purchases have a five dollar minimum, but anything above that can be paid in the exact amount.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Having beat the PC version when it came out, and played through the PS4 version yesterday, I'm glad they took feedback and made tweaks to a few sections to make them less frustrating.

Specifically getting the orange soda, and a few bits later in the game.

Pizza still needed me to google how to do it though.

Is there any way to control the camera? Difficult to look around for things like the soda

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I tried using the move scheme and it was a nightmare, switched to controller immediately.

Finished the game around 2 hours, did not really go after the ties. It was an interesting expereince while it lasted, often times though I felt like I was fighting with his legs whenever it gets caught in something though.

Mdk7

Beat the game, it frankly disappointed me a lot.
The concept is awesome on paper, the first moments are fascinating in a zany kind of way... but that's pretty much it: the novelty effect dies quickly, and the game not only isn't particularly fun (i never really laughed, just smiled a bit at the indie based products in the supermarket), but it can also be pretty frustrating to play at times.
Also, it costs 15 Euros and lasts for 2 hours, so it's not even cheap... I wouldn't really say it's worth it. :/

whitehawk

Banned
Just finished it. Game is awesome, loved every minute of it. The hilarity of it is just perfect. It makes no sense but it's so great. Controls are yes, difficult, but pretty easy to get used to. The only really hard parts were some of the mini-games in the aquarium.

However I was very let down by the length. Took me just under 2 hours to beat. I wish they had more mundane tasks. Oddly enough, my favourite part might just be making coffee at the beginning while spilling coffee everywhere. And fetching milk and spilling it all over the living room.

Now I just need to try co-op. Oh god.

Just finished it. Game is awesome, loved every minute of it. The hilarity of it is just perfect. It makes no sense but it's so great. Controls are yes, difficult, but pretty easy to get used to. The only really hard parts were some of the mini-games in the aquarium.

However I was very let down by the length. Took me just under 2 hours to beat. I wish they had more mundane tasks. Oddly enough, my favourite part might just be making coffee at the beginning while spilling coffee everywhere. And fetching milk and spilling it all over the living room.

Now I just need to try co-op. Oh god.

Yeah I agree fully about the mundane tasks / house chores + grocery shopping. They were the highlight of the game by far. Once you got to the aquarium it started to become a little too 'gamey' if that makes sense. Still a fun game overall.

JayEH

Just bought this a few hours ago and I'm at the aquarium right now. Having a blast!

This is the kind of indie game I like. I'm tired of indies just remaking NES classics all the time.

Where's the first tie in Silent but Dadly? I think it moved compared to the PC version since they changed a few things for PS4.

Edit: The Secret Level is also not there...

A friend and I blasted though this Friday night. I gave him virtually no heads up about what the game was. He said "This is the greatest game ever" before we even got to the altar.

I don't know if it was really worth $12 for me, but I really did have a lot of fun and a few good laughs struggling to control with my friend. I don't really know if I would have enjoyed it on my own, but I'll never forget those three hours.

GoaThief

Quite enjoyed this one, Octodad didn't overstay it's welcome and generally kept a smile on my face except for near the end a couple of times when frustration peaked due to limbs getting stuck on objects.

Is very pricey though, completed in 2 hours, 37 minutes. I heard Octodad was short but it's really pushing it. Looking forward to the allegedly cheap DLC.

:)

Sami+

Just finished it. Really charming all the way through, I had a smile on the whole time. I think my favorite bit was the
flashback. Stealth, dancing, and plenty of humor.
Good stuff. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FWIW, the game does give you a clue to this, saying over the intercom that all the freezer doors have frozen over except for one.

Yes, so you go in that door, move to the left, figure out you can't go any further so you come out and look for another way in.

I tried crashing into the door riding a Segway, throwing robots at it.. No. Seems you can climb through, you just have to persevere

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
FWIW, the game does give you a clue to this, saying over the intercom that all the freezer doors have frozen over except for one.
I heard that bit was having a real hard time moving though the case so I thought it was an invisible wall scenario and you had find a way to unfreeze the freezers to access the pizzas.

Audioboxer

Can anyone else confirm if they only get stereo audio with the game on the PS4? Just part of my ongoing troubleshooting/issues with 5.1 audio on PS4. Quite a few games do not use the center channel, trying to find out if it's by choice or not.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I played through the whole thing--twice--with my kids yesterday. We laughed our asses off and generally had some of the most fun I've had with a game in a while. I think it's really smart and goofy in all the ways the best Saturday-morning cartoons used to be.

NR1

Played it for the first time last night and completed the game in a single sitting (about 2 or 3 hours) on the PS4... TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! For $15, this is a great budget title for killing a few hours. Very charming and funny. The controls are very awkward, but I feel that adds to the fun. It's just hilarious watching OctoDad flail across the room and nobody suspect him being an octopus. There was only one spot in the game that the controls simply irritated me: climbing the jungle gym at the aquarium. I easily spent 20 minutes of the 3 hours at that one part.

Dreweyes

Hey guys! Sorry for the shameless post, I figured some of you would be interested! :)

My officially licensed Octodad tee is now available!
Check it outttttt: http://theyetee.com/octodad/

zzzWNr2.gif

Hip Hop

Just decided to play this game after being installed on Steam but never got to it until yesterday. It really irked me that it ends so soon and abruptly. I wanted to keep playing, loved the style, the controls, the objectives. Everything flowed so nicely.

Seriously a gem of a game. But it's way too short. Honestly wouldn't have minded doing more of the same tasks, just if they were in different locales.

It reminded me of the Simpsons Hit and Run probably because of the art style, but I also felt similarities in the gameplay. It brought back memories :)

Anyways, highly recommended, although it is short. The experience was great regardless though. Kind of like Gone Home. Short, but a great game.

The premise is just so silly on Octodad too, but it works. It's charming.

Top Bottom