• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OEM vs Retail, Building a computer and some sugesstions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me the difference? I'm on tigerdirect.ca and building a computer.

I went with the QX6600 and Intel Bad Axe 2(Intel 975XBX2KR) but when I went to double check the mobo to make sure it was BA2 I noticed that there was a OEM deal for only $600...for the mobo and the QX6600...when I would have payed $1200 for the mobo+CPU alone.

I know that OEM are usually locked up(no overclocking) and such but this deal is really tempting because I'm at $5,072.81 including shipping with this:

--------------------------------------------------
Remove this product from your shopping cart O22-1008 :: Onkyo HTSR600 Home Theater System - 7.1 Channel, Pro Logic II (52 lbs)
In Stock
$398.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart E145-8000 :: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX / 768MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card (2.95 lbs)
In Stock
$589.97

Remove this product from your shopping cart † M17-2514 CA :: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate - Upgrade- DVD (1 lbs)
Ships within 24 Hours
$309.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart † V300-M001 CA :: Vison Quest VQL-22WSHD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 2m, 700:1, WSXGA+ 1680x1050, Black, DVI (15.75 lbs)
Ships within 24 Hours
$319.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart O261-7054 :: OCZ SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) (0.2 lbs)
In Stock
$186.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart ULT40064 :: Ultra / X3 / 1000-Watt / ATX / SATA-Ready / PCI-E Ready / Energy Efficient / Modular Power Supply (9.2 lbs)
In Stock
$269.97

Remove this product from your shopping cart I69-2145 :: Intel 975XBX2KR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard / Viiv Ready / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID (4.35 lbs)
In Stock
$199.97

Remove this product from your shopping cart MBM-975X-Q6600 :: Intel 975XBX2KR Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Socket 775 OEM Processor (4.45 lbs)
In Stock
$599.97

Remove this product from your shopping cart L23-7054 :: Logitech G7 Laser Gaming Mouse (1.3 lbs)
In Stock
$106.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart L23-7252 :: Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard (5.2 lbs)
In Stock
$259.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart TSD-500AS2 :: Seagate / Barracuda 7200.10 / 500GB / 7200 / 16MB / Serial ATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive (1 lbs)
In Stock
$119.97

Remove this product from your shopping cart CP1-DUO-Q6600 :: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz / 8MB Cache / 1066MHz FSB / Quad-Core (Kentsfield) / Socket 775 / Processor with Fan (1.6 lbs)
In Stock
$758.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart L12-1019 :: Lite-on Internal CD ReWriter - 52x32x CD-R/RW, EIDE, Black (1.75 lbs)
In Stock
$26.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart L12-1049 :: Lite-On LH-52C1P-187 DVD-ROM Combo Drive - 52x32x CD-R/RW, 16x DVD-ROM, Black (2.1 lbs)
Available While Supplies Last
$33.99

Remove this product from your shopping cart † T925-2118 :: Thermaltake Tai-Chi Aluminum Full Tower Case with 10 External 5.25" Drive Bays, Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports (38 lbs)
Usually ships within 2 - 5 Days
$465.99
--------------------------------------

Here's what I'm thinking to cut the cost and go for like 2.5-3k:

1) Take out the thermaltake Tai Chi case. it's a super tower and has built in water colling system with hydraulic side doors...Maybe not necessary. But I want a good case that's a looker and has good performance.

2) I can either get the OEM deal for $600 for the QX6600+BadAxe2 or $1200 for the Retail versions.

3) Logitech Dinovo keyboard, I'm going to get a PS3 so that's one of the main reasons I chose it and several of you guys have it with good impressions. But is it necessary $200 keyboard?

4) G7 gaming mouse $100 mouse? Really that necessary?

5) Onkyo 7.1 surround sound system. I don't have a DVD player or anything so one of the main reasons again. But $300 speaker set?

Help me!

bill0527

Well... I don't think I can help you.

I only know how to build poor man's computers. I just built a nice mid-upper range rig for $1000

You can get Windows Vista Ultimate a lot cheaper through Newegg.

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM $194.99

I also just checked Newegg for the price on your EVGA 8800gtx and its about $50 cheaper.

I'm not going to price out your whole list, but just based on the two things I"ve looked at so far and what I know about, you might want to check Newegg.

bill0527 said:
Well... I don't think I can help you.

I only know how to build poor man's computers. I just built a nice mid-upper range rig for $1000

You can get Windows Vista Ultimate a lot cheaper through Newegg.

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM $194.99

I also just checked Newegg for the price on your EVGA 8800gtx and its about $50 cheaper.

I'm not going to price out your whole list, but just based on the two things I"ve looked at so far and what I know about, you might want to check Newegg.
I live in Canada.

;)

Thyrus

The OEM dosn't come with a fan/paste and you've got no warranties (asides from 30 days) or such since you're your own system builder. Intel does not provide any aditional warranty either.

Basically, you get it cheap because you take the risks. If it goes out after 30 days you're out of luck.

Thyrus said:
The OEM dosn't come with a fan/paste and you've got no warranties (asides from 30 days) or such since you're your own system builder. Intel does not provide any aditional warranty either.

Basically, you get it cheap because you take the risks. If it goes out after 30 days you're out of luck.
So is that a bad deal? I mean its $600 vs $1200...OEMs aren't bad right?

Damnit.

Forgotten Ancient said:
pop quiz:

How hard would it be to upgrade my Dell that has a P4-3Ghz processor to either a dual or quad core processor?
Depends I assume its socket 775 right? If so then you can do it fine enough.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I can never resist the prices OEM parts go for on Ebay. I'm yet to be burnt but I guess by now i've got it coming.

ghst said:
I can never resist the prices OEM parts go for on Ebay. I'm yet to be burnt but I guess by now i've got it coming.
Yeah I'm getting my parts off tigerdirect.ca Might go to NCIX because they are actually Canadian but I'm debating prices...ffs. This is killing me.

There's so many computer nuts here on Gaf and nobody is giving me a good push in either direction. Damnittttttt!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
There seem to be two types of PC buyers on GAF, the deal hungry $1000-er's, and the crazy money no object emporers of the realm type buyers, by your setup I'd assume you were the latter but then you say you're getting frustrated with the cost. Which is it?

alexel

Does that quad core price come down to $250 on July 22? Can you really not wait 22 days to build that computer?

Edit:
WAIT WTF $786 for that processor? That processor is only $480 even as of today. Does Canada have like a 200% import tax on CPUs or something?

ghst said:
There seem to be two types of PC buyers on GAF, the deal hungry $1000-er's, and the crazy money no object emporers of the realm type buyers, by your setup I'd assume you were the latter but then you say you're getting frustrated with the cost. Which is it?
I'm a cost guy.

I wasn't thinking about this since several months but the prices with memory these days sealed the deal for me.

alexel said:
Does that quad core price come down to $250 on July 22? Can you really not wait 22 days to build that computer?
Does it really?

CrushDance said:
I'm a cost guy.

I wasn't thinking about this since several months but the prices with memory these days sealed the deal for me.

Does it really?

If I remember correctly, the price is basically being halved on the 22nd. Day after my birthday. :D

alexel

CrushDance said:
I'm a cost guy.

Does it really?

Yes

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/07-05-15/Inte.jpg

But serious, WTF @ $759.

Also, is there a reason you went with the 975X chipset over the nfroce 680i/650i chipset for the mobo? I've been trying to pick a good chipset for the computer I'm building too and was wondering what made you pick 975x.

alexel said:
Yes

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/07-05-15/Inte.jpg

But serious, WTF @ $759.

Also, is there a reason you went with the 975X chipset over the nfroce 680i/650i chipset for the mobo? I've been trying to pick a good chipset for the computer I'm building too and was wondering what made you pick 975x.
I did some research and the 680i although good has some problems with it. I was originally looking at the Asus Striker extreme but that's even worse lol.

I'm on a P4 with 512mb of ram and integrated graphics right now...I haven't even had any problems with my hardware so I trust Intel and the reviews given were great as well.

If that's true then I'll wait till the 22nd lol and try to get some money as down payment :p I'm only looking at 2-2.5k at the most.

excluding case, mice, keyboard and maybe monitor. I can just take those from the current system.

So after the 22nd should I go for the OEM still? I mean the BA2 mobo can overclock but I won't even use that feature any time soon if ever. My current computer I got from MDG and it's all OEM parts anyway :/

alexel

to be honest, OEM and REtail price difference shouldn't be close to that drastic. Check that reseller again, I'd always recommend retail, for the approved heatsink and the warranty. This should be good enough unless you plan to overclock, then you'll have to go with a better heatsink. But as for that huge price difference between the retail and OEM, I really think that's a pricing mistake, since there's no way that a QX6600 costs $759.

alexel said:
to be honest, OEM and REtail price difference shouldn't be close to that drastic. Check that reseller again, I'd always recommend retail, for the approved heatsink and the warranty. This should be good enough unless you plan to overclock, then you'll have to go with a better heatsink. But as for that huge price difference between the retail and OEM, I really think that's a pricing mistake, since there's no way that a QX6600 costs $759.
Hm. Well I really hate tigerdirect anyway they ship from the states and it takes like 1-2weeks half the time to get here, plus there shipping fees are brutal.

I really like NCIX since they ship from Ontario but there website is kind of hard to navigate without pictures sometimes of the product and such. I'll probably end up ordering from NCIX though.

I dunno. IF what you say is true then Tiger is seriously lame. I'll check NCIX. And I'll go for the retail...on the 22nd.

tokkun

I have several comments.

(1) To answer the initial question, the difference between getting an OEM vs. Retail processor is that you will not get a heatsink and you will have a reduced warranty. If you go this route, you will need to buy a heatsink and some thermal grease.

(2) The reason that combo is so cheap is that Intel is dropping the price of the Q6600 to $266 on July 22nd. This information is well-known, and retailers are trying to get rid of stock.

(3) Is there a specific reason you want the Bad Axe 2? Why get a 975P-based board when you could get a P35 board that has the latest features, CPU support, and significantly better overclocking ability with quad cores?

(4) You don't need to spend so much to get a 1000W power supply. Get a high-quality 600W unit instead.

(5) Unless the Canadian-US exchange rate has gone out the window, you are getting raped on that RAM. I got 2 x 1 GB PC-6400 for $80USD a couple weeks ago, and you can find Crucial Ballistix for ~$60 after rebate these days.

(6) Why are you buying 2 CD burners when DVD burners are pretty much the same price?

(7) I would never spend that much on a case, but I guess it's your money.

(8) I think it's worth spending $100 on a really good mouse, but if you're getting a wireless mouse, be careful. Wireless internet, phones, etc. can create disrupting interference.

alexel

That case is ugly btw. Heh just kidding, but it's just my personal opinion that I think it looks like a piece of crap. I'm getting this case for my computer, it's a lot cheaper too:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811133132

The other poster was right about the RAM too. Good DDR2-800 RAM cas latency 4 with 4-4-4-12 timings usually run $60-$90 nowadays factoring in the mail-in rebate. He has a point with the 975 vs p35 comparison too, but keep in mind the P35 was introduced to replace the 965 and 965 express chipset, not the higher level 975x chipset. So take that into consideration. Intel is gonna release the X38 chipset soon to replace the 975x, but that chipset is suppose to only run on DDR3 RAM, which will cost you about $500 for 2 gigs of that RAM, not to mention it's also slower than high-end DDR2 RAM currently and won't be mainstream till 2009 probably.

But the best advice is to seriously wait till July 22 to buy a CPU.

tokkun said:
I have several comments.

(1) To answer the initial question, the difference between getting an OEM vs. Retail processor is that you will not get a heatsink and you will have a reduced warranty. If you go this route, you will need to buy a heatsink and some thermal grease.

(2) The reason that combo is so cheap is that Intel is dropping the price of the Q6600 to $266 on July 22nd. This information is well-known, and retailers are trying to get rid of stock.

(3) Is there a specific reason you want the Bad Axe 2? Why get a 975P-based board when you could get a P35 board that has the latest features, CPU support, and significantly better overclocking ability with quad cores?

(4) You don't need to spend so much to get a 1000W power supply. Get a high-quality 600W unit instead.

(5) Unless the Canadian-US exchange rate has gone out the window, you are getting raped on that RAM. I got 2 x 1 GB PC-6400 for $80USD a couple weeks ago, and you can find Crucial Ballistix for ~$60 after rebate these days.

(6) Why are you buying 2 CD burners when DVD burners are pretty much the same price?

(7) I would never spend that much on a case, but I guess it's your money.

(8) I think it's worth spending $100 on a really good mouse, but if you're getting a wireless mouse, be careful. Wireless internet, phones, etc. can create disrupting interference.

1) Oh really? Awesome! So I'd still be able to overclock and all or?

2) Yeah another poster said that above. That's really great because I can get it then on the 22nd and the mobo for even less then the OEM version right?

3) I haven't been into computers for a while...P35 makes no connection lol. I just like the Intel board due to the reviews about stability. I can't find another motherboard like that. You have something in mind?

4) So 1000w is unecessary? I have a $500 watt right now for this computer and it is more than necessary lol. I was planning on going SLi in the future though maybe. Is that still to much?

5) Yeah...Tigerdirect has some inflated prices at times. I'll definately check out NCIX.

6) So just a DVD drive is fine? No need for a CD drive?

7) Yeah I did that just for fun :p it's to damn big anyway. I'll get like a $70 case at the most.

8) Yeah I read about that before. I put the mouse, surround sound 7.1 set and keyboard for fun to see how much I could get away with. I'm going to end up getting some cheaper parts or just use the current ones I have here.

The Faceless Master said:
yes, dvd burners all read and burn cd's just fine, in fact it was only in the *very early* days where there were dvdrom drives that didn't read cd's.
Sweet! Can't wait for the 22nd!

alexel

CrushDance said:
1) Oh really? Awesome! So I'd still be able to overclock and all or?

2) Yeah another poster said that above. That's really great because I can get it then on the 22nd and the mobo for even less then the OEM version right?

3) I haven't been into computers for a while...P35 makes no connection lol. I just like the Intel board due to the reviews about stability. I can't find another motherboard like that. You have something in mind?

4) So 1000w is unecessary? I have a $500 watt right now for this computer and it is more than necessary lol. I was planning on going SLi in the future though maybe. Is that still to much?

5) Yeah...Tigerdirect has some inflated prices at times. I'll definately check out NCIX.

6) So just a DVD drive is fine? No need for a CD drive?

7) Yeah I did that just for fun :p it's to damn big anyway. I'll get like a $70 case at the most.

8) Yeah I read about that before. I put the mouse, surround sound 7.1 set and keyboard for fun to see how much I could get away with. I'm going to end up getting some cheaper parts or just use the current ones I have here.

If you're going to SLI (especially with a power hungry card like the 8800GTS) you're going to need a 700W+ power supply. If you don't plan for SLI, 550W should be enough. You can also use this website to give you an estimate on the power supply you will need: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

tokkun

1) Yes, the CPU is physically identical in OEM or Retail form. If you're planning on overclocking, it's better to buy OEM and use the money you save for an after-market heatsink.

2) Yes.

3) I have the ASUS P5K Deluxe, and am happy with it. If you want something a little more value-oriented, check out the Abit IP35 Pro.

4) I think 600W will probably do fine unless you are running 2 x ATI HD2900 in Crossfire. My personal opinion is that a lot of people have been brainwashed into thinking they need a higher wattage than they actually do. See if you can find a good price on the Corsair 620HX. Quiet, great power quality, modular cables.
But hold on a second...
If you're planning on going SLI, I have to take back my suggestion about a P35 motherboard; they do not support SLI. However, I don't think the Bad Axe 2 does either. If SLI is a priority, you're going to want to look for a motherboard based on the Nvidia 680i chipset

6) A DVD-RW drive will burn and read your CDs just fine. You can get a SATA DVD-RW drive with LightScribe for around $40 USD.

tokkun said:
1) Yes, the CPU is physically identical in OEM or Retail form. If you're planning on overclocking, it's better to buy OEM and use the money you save for an after-market heatsink.

2) Yes.

3) I have the ASUS P5K Deluxe, and am happy with it. If you want something a little more value-oriented, check out the Abit IP35 Pro.

4) I think 600W will probably do fine unless you are running 2 x ATI HD2900 in Crossfire. My personal opinion is that a lot of people have been brainwashed into thinking they need a higher wattage than they actually do. See if you can find a good price on the Corsair 620HX. Quiet, great power quality, modular cables.
But hold on a second...
If you're planning on going SLI, I have to take back my suggestion about a P35 motherboard; they do not support SLI. However, I don't think the Bad Axe 2 does either. If SLI is a priority, you're going to want to look for a motherboard based on the Nvidia 680i chipset

6) A DVD-RW drive will burn and read your CDs just fine. You can get a SATA DVD-RW drive with LightScribe for around $40 USD.

Yeah apparently only crossfire. I really wanted the 680i mobo but it has to many problems based on reviews.

acidviper

Banned
Just bring your specs to a good computer store. If you are going to spend 5k. I'm sure they can get you a good deal.

bengraven

I'm planning on building a PC just for gaming and typical internet things, but I'm not looking to spend more than 700 dollars. I should list the specs and see if you guys think it will be okay for running games at least the next year or so until I can afford to buy a very nice one.

bengraven said:
I'm planning on building a PC just for gaming and typical internet things, but I'm not looking to spend more than 700 dollars. I should list the specs and see if you guys think it will be okay for running games at least the next year or so until I can afford to buy a very nice one.
only $700? Nice. I assume you have some recyclable parts. I'm ona Socket 478 mobo with PCI only so I need a new motherboard and graphics lol.

List your specs, lets see :p

glistenm

Banned
$270 1000 watt PSU for a regular computer? wtf

$100 for a mouse holy shit

$200 for a keyboard, sweet merciful jesus

and you're a cost guy?

and $500 for a case? :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
seriously. If I'm spending $5000 on a PC it better do my laundry and wash my car for me. Some of those prices are ridiculous, even if they're Canadian.

Yeah I know. Here's my final list. I decided to reuse my keyboard/mouse.

Intel D975XBX2 ATX LGA775 Conroe 975X DDR2 PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard
In Stock 21558 $249.00 $249.00

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA 3GB/S 7200RPM 16MB Cache Hard Drive 5YR MFR Warranty
In Stock 18729 $88.06 $88.06

Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22IN Widescreen LCD Black 1680X1050 3000:1 2MS VGA DVI-D HDCP
Check this box for EXPRESS COVERAGE for this item. ($19.72)
Buy this LCD with Express Coverage and get our 30 day zero dead pixel guarantee. FIND OUT MORE >
In Stock 22783 $394.44 $394.44

Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Kit W/ LEDs
In Stock 24926 $149.99 $149.99

Intel Core 2 Quad QX6600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail
In Stock 19143 $249.66 $249.66

MSI nVidia GeForce 8800GTS OC 640MB DDR3 2DVI/HDCP PCI-Express Video Card
This item is a special order item. Additional delays may occur depending on supplier availability. You can cancel this item for a full refund before it ships.
5-10 Business Days 666672195 $474.70 $474.70

Ultra Black Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, FireWire, Audio Ports, Power-Up 450-Watt Power Supply and Lite-on 52x32x CD-R/RW / EIDE / Black / Internal CD ReWriter

$89.97

Crucial Memory Hawg Squishy Toy *Promo Only*
In Stock 24908 $0.00 $0.00

Express Coverage - with "ZERO Dead PIXEL" Exchange (See Terms & Conditions for Details) (22783)

In Stock 13783 $19.72 $19.72
Check to delete an item
YOUR TOTAL

$1,796.92

:D :D :D :D

Under 2k baby! OH SNAP CRACKLE DAP!

Man the 22nd cannot come soon enough so I can get that Quad core for $200

And what the hell is a memory hawg? Is that a memory cover? Because the one I got already comes with one.

Doytch

CrushDance said:
And what the hell is a memory hawg? Is that a memory cover? Because the one I got already comes with one.

24908_l.jpg

24908_1.jpg

:lol :lol

Doytch said:
24908_l.jpg

24908_1.jpg

:lol :lol
*SIGH*

I think I'll get different memory. Well...actually my brother might like it but still...wow. I thought this was supposed to be gamer memory and I get a pink pig? :(

It had good timings though 4-4-4-12

I'll see if I can find some memory that'll give me a better freebie T_T

Doytch

CrushDance said:
*SIGH*

I think I'll get different memory. Well...actually my brother might like it but still...wow. I thought this was supposed to be gamer memory and I get a pink pig? :(

It had good timings though 4-4-4-12

I'll see if I can find some memory that'll give me a better freebie T_T

I just got these a couple of weeks ago for a hundred with the rebate. 4-4-4-15 though...

Doytch

CrushDance said:
Is the 15 going to impact anything much?

I'm just going for the lowest and under $200. :lol

I don't think it's a difference that you can perceive. 12 might get a higher score in PCMark, but your frame rates won't be lower, and you won't be encoding things 20% faster.

Doytch said:
I don't think it's a difference that you can perceive. 12 might get a higher score in PCMark, but your frame rates won't be lower, and you won't be encoding things 20% faster.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I was originally going to go for a 3-3-3-12 for like $300 but I was like not worth it".

I think it just comes down to having a reliable motherboard.

*hugs Intel*

It's what holds everything together.

tokkun

Memory timings are pretty meaningless on modern Intel platforms. Better to loosen your timings and shoot for a higher frequency.

Pachael

I suggest you get a larger hard drive. 250GB isn't much these days. I'd look for at least 750GB, if not 1TB. Space is cheap these days too!

tokkun

Pachael said:
I suggest you get a larger hard drive. 250GB isn't much these days. I'd look for at least 750GB, if not 1TB. Space is cheap these days too!

Apparently you haven't been reading his hentai thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom