• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer-age :building a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
element said:
in terms of silence? it is very quiet. I have two low speed case fans, and a pretty quiet PSU. I really only hear the hard drives and the graphics card (x1800).
I didn't like the bars at first, but rarely look at the case, since it is on the ground.

did the fans come with the case or did you buy them separately?

Hooker

Vaporak said:
Tip: if you want this computer to play games, don't spend more on a CPU then a graphics card. :)
That's not really the best advice. The new GPUs are all being held back by CPUs. Your PC needs to be balanced, that's the most important thing.

A 8800GTX on a E4300 will probably yield the same results as a 8800GTS320 on a E4300.

As for the cases posted, they're all ugly as sin (except for the cube, but I don't like cubes. Midi-tower FTW) My new case is sooo much better than the stuff posted. The Lian-Li A10B (review)

01.jpg

What I'm buying in a few months. May hold of for Yorkfield and Bearlake.

Intel Core 2 Quad QX6700
Abit AW9D-MAX / Intel BadAxe2
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4D (x2)
ATi r600 XTX (1GB)
Lian-Li PC-A10B
Seasonic M12 600W
Razer Barracuda AC-1 & HP-1
Western Digital RE2 500GB

Hooker said:
A 8800GTX on a E4300 will probably yield the same results as a 8800GTS320 on a E4300.

Maybe at 1024x768, and maybe on a stock E4300, but who on earth plays at that resolution and buys a retail E4300 without the intent of overclocking it. :)

I agree that it generally makes more sense to spend more on the video card than the CPU as a rule. For example, someone getting an E6600 and a 7900GS (paying more for the CPU than the video card) would get much worse gaming performance than someone buying a E6400 and a 8800GTS 320m (paying more for the video card than the CPU).

Hooker

It's at the larger resolutions where you'll notice the CPU bottleneck.

And you can't really cross-compare different generation products in this way :p The G80 is sooo much better than anything before that :)

EDIT: Diablos, too much plastic. Plastic = bad. 100% aluminum for me. Hell, I'm even going to change the plastic power button for Vandal switches in the one I posted above

OK, Well I have looked around done more research even found a cheaper place to shop..

which is really awesome..

here is what I have seattled on.. for pretty much the same price but just a little steeper.

everything I am pretty satisfied on, maybe the only thing I don't know to much is a cable for my monitor cuz it doesn't include one.

GENERIC DVI-D/DVI-D M/M 10FT DIGITAL LCD MONITOR CABLE
$16.20

Seasonic S12 ENERGY+ 550W ATX12V V2.2 20/24PIN Active PFC Power Supply Retail Box
$122.04

Antec Solo Quiet Mini Tower Case ATX Silver Black 4X5.25 4X3.5INT No PS
$94.75

OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-15 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit
$242.51

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE
$6.75

Samsung SH-S182 DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL-8X DVD Writer IDE Black OEM W/ Software
$38.23

Razer Diamondback Plasma Blue 1600DPI Optical Mouse USB
$41.17

Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard USB Black Silver LCD Panel Programmable Backlit Keys
$80.25

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 SE PCI 7.1 Surround Sound Card OEM
$49.57

Samsung SyncMaster 931BW 19IN Widescreen Glossy LCD Monitor 2000:1 1440X900 2MS HDCP VGA DVI-D
$288.20

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 4MB Cache Retail Box
$373.36

Maxtor Maxline Pro 500 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 16MB 7200RPM Hard Drive Oem 5YR Mfr Warranty
$152.99

EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800 GTS 500MHZ 640MB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card
$467.74

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 ATX LGA775 Conroe P965 DDR2 PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio Motherboard

$164.30

Total : 2,138.06

Hooker

That's a nice setup, but don't order just yet. There's a small possibility that your videocard won't fit in the case you've chosen now.

Someone at another forum made a large list of cards which fit and don't fit. Looking for it now...

I know nothing about the case but the parts are excellent! I'm using the same RAM and am very impressed with it considering the relatively low price I paid. Remember that it takes 2.1v when you first boot up as you will likely have to set that in the BIOS (+.3 on a DS3 I believe).

Hooker said:
Your GTS should fit. The longer GTX will have some problems, but nothing a dremel can't fix.

Take a lookie here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030351731&postcount=235

(NOTE: This is the GTX, yours is smaller)

Thanks for the tip hooker, I researched that before, I decided to get the card. The GTS is 9.5 inches and the case will hold 10 inches.. it get to be a problem with the XTS card which is 10.5 but I won't be buying a new gx card for a long time.

Do you know if the Dvi cable will work with my monitor and graphics card?

Hooker

You should be alright. DVI's a digital signal so the brand and make of cable shouldn't have any influence on the quality of the image

Hooker said:
You should be alright. DVI's a digital signal so the brand and make of cable shouldn't have any influence on the quality of the image

cool, I was just wondering becuase I don't know the difference between, a dvi-i cable and a dvi-d cable.

element

why are you getting the audigy card? onboard sound is pretty damn great these days.

I'd advise getting a larger case if you are going DX10 card. I built a machine for whiteman using the Antec P150 and it was CRAMMED. I mean not a lot of space to work with at all.

Nicodimas

Banned
I like that one DM it seems very balanced.

Id also do some research with that specific OCZ Ram and the DS3 to see how well they work together. Ram/MB combos can be tricky.

If you did not already that is.

Nicodimas said:
Id also do some research with that specific OCZ Ram and the DS3 to see how well they work together. Ram/MB combos can be tricky.

I'm using an S3 with the same RAM and the volt issue I mentioned above is the only one he is likely to run into so he is likely to be fine. With the f10 bios, these boards a remarkable for the price.

Well, I just bit the bullet and went with the stuff I have.. *bites nails*

hopefully everything is in working order when I get it.

I'll post pics and what not, once the beauty is set up :)

Diablos

Hooker said:
EDIT: Diablos, too much plastic. Plastic = bad. 100% aluminum for me. Hell, I'm even going to change the plastic power button for Vandal switches in the one I posted above
Pfft, whatever. Those cases are awesome. I can't decide which one I want. I don't need it to be 100% aluminum!

DAMN IT.. first problem..

payment failed, and don't know why. There is enough money on the credit card..

Well, this is annoying one more day of waiting till I get my computer IF this problem this is resolved.

Will keep you all updated on my computer journey..

Of course, the bad luck starts.. lol..

EDIT: I am an idiot. I put the expiry date wrong :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom