• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

Zzoram

DarthWoo said:
Ah, I see. The Patriot stuff uses 2.0V. How badly will the system run if I forget to change the setting? Also, lower latency settings are better, correct? Mine is 5, with timing of 5-5-5-12.

It won't run badly, it justs might not be stable. If you randomly crash without any obvious reason, check the RAM voltage requirements.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
If you don't set the correct RAM voltage it'll most likely crash pretty quickly.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So this will have been the first time I've ever actually fully assembled a PC, and I'm getting nervous as I get closer to having all the components. Actually decided I'm just going to go with XP for a while to save $100 until I have more money. Just need the hard drive.

Is this pretty much how the process should go? (I realize it's going to all be covered in the manuals, just want to make sure I've got the order right.)

-Disassemble old components. (I wish I had a bunch of antistatic bags sitting around.)
-Install CPU+HSF onto motherboard.
-Install PSU into case.
-Install mobo into case and attach the 24-pin connector from PSU.
-Install RAM, GPU.
-I can turn it on and adjust the BIOS settings at this point?
-Install HDDs and optical drives.
-Set BIOS to boot from optical drive and install Windows (It's been a while, but I can set partitions during the install process in XP right?)
-Set BIOS to boot from the HDD again, and then I'm pretty much set apart from installing updates and SP3?
-???
-Profit!

From what I understand, ASUS motherboards come with utilities that you can use to OC and change other settings you could usually only change from the BIOS within Windows?

SRG01

DarthWoo said:
So this will have been the first time I've ever actually fully assembled a PC, and I'm getting nervous as I get closer to having all the components. Actually decided I'm just going to go with XP for a while to save $100 until I have more money. Just need the hard drive.

Is this pretty much how the process should go? (I realize it's going to all be covered in the manuals, just want to make sure I've got the order right.)

-Disassemble old components. (I wish I had a bunch of antistatic bags sitting around.)
-Install CPU+HSF onto motherboard.
-Install PSU into case.
-Install mobo into case and attach the 24-pin connector from PSU.
-Install RAM, GPU.
-I can turn it on and adjust the BIOS settings at this point?
-Install HDDs and optical drives.
-Set BIOS to boot from optical drive and install Windows (It's been a while, but I can set partitions during the install process in XP right?)
-Set BIOS to boot from the HDD again, and then I'm pretty much set apart from installing updates and SP3?
-???
-Profit!

From what I understand, ASUS motherboards come with utilities that you can use to OC and change other settings you could usually only change from the BIOS within Windows?

If at all possible, install the PSU first after removing all the old components. It makes everything a lot easier.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SRG01 said:
If at all possible, install the PSU first after removing all the old components. It makes everything a lot easier.

I do:
HSF
Mobo
HDD
DVD
RAM
PSU
GPU (Gotta route that 4 pin power under GPU)

Curiously asking why does PSU first make it easier? Are you one of those wire hiders? :lol

SRG01

Hazaro said:
I do:
HSF
Mobo
HDD
DVD
RAM
PSU

Curiously asking why does PSU first make it easier? Are you one of those wire hiders? :lol

I'm a former system builder so... yes. :lol

edit: Actually, it just makes installing components easier. You basically install everything that comes with a screw, then install everything that requires wire-ties and plugs.

DarthWoo

Hazaro said:
I do:
HSF
Mobo
HDD
DVD
RAM
PSU

So I can't just install the PSU/Mobo/CPU/HSF/GPU/RAM and test it that way?

SRG01

DarthWoo said:
So I can't just install the PSU/Mobo/CPU/HSF/GPU/RAM and test it that way?

If your motherboard has onboard VGA, then you don't even need the GPU. Why do you need to test the system anyway?

DarthWoo

Figured it would be easier to test everything first in case one of those critical components was defective so I didn't get everything else installed and have to take it all back out again.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I am building a new comp for Warhammer Online guys, tell me if these part are good for all max settings with a 1280x1024 res, keep in mind I am going on a cheap here for now with certain parts since I need money to live as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026 - mother board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037 - cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130370 - gpu

Already have 3 gigs of ram running at 667mhz that I will be using for this comp so yeah.

*Edit I fixed the links.

RuGalz

I just built my new rig but I can't decide on a video card, right now I am just using my old, spare 7600GT. The machine is:

Q9550
4G PC1000 Ram
1TB Drive
P45 Crossfire capable mobo

In general I kind of like ATI's image quality and Radeon 4xxx series is great. However, I'm a bit weary about the heat issue. I know you can edit profile to tweak the fan speed. But a friend of mine says the tweak doesn't kick in until he's logged into windows on his system and on default the fan speed is too low. So one time he turned on his computer and forgot to login to windows, the machine just sat there and got hotter and hotter until his Video Card was burnt out. Luckily it's still under warranty so he was able to exchange it.

On the nVidia end, I really stopped following after all the naming confusion.

I don't really want something crazy/expensive like 4870x2. I want something that perform well and is good bang for your buck. HDMI with audio is a must. I am not in a super hurry so if there's something better coming out soon I can wait a bit. Suggest me a video card!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RuGalz said:
I just built my new rig but I can't decide on a video card, right now I am just using my old, spare 7600GT. The machine is:

Q9550
4G PC1000 Ram
1TB Drive
Crossfire capable mobo

In general I kind of like ATI's image quality and Radeon 4xxx series is great. However, I'm a bit weary about the heat issue. I know you can edit profile to tweak the fan speed. But a friend of mine says the tweak doesn't kick in until he's logged into windows on his system and on default the fan speed is too low. So one time he turned on his computer and forgot to login to windows, the machine just sat there and got hotter and hotter until his Video Card was burnt out. Luckily it's still under warranty so he was able to exchange it.

On the nVidia end, I really stopped following after all the naming confusion.

I don't really want something crazy/expensive like 4870x2. I want something that perform well and is good bang for your buck. HDMI with audio is a must. I am not in a super hurry so if there's something better coming out soon I can wait a bit. Suggest me a video card!
I know they run hot, but that's the first time I've heard of a 4850 burning itself out. It would probably have to be north of 100C before that happened. I've been running mine without the fan tweak for a few weeks with no issues.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My 4870x2 is an ASUS and it gives me 87 or so degrees on load, maybe it goes to 90 or past that temp with Crysis. I never did the fan trick. Should I be worried?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
godhandiscen said:
My 4870x2 is an ASUS and it gives me 87 or so degrees on load, maybe it goes to 90 or past that temp with Crysis. I never did the fan trick. Should I be worried?

I guess I'll find out when I get my Powercolor 4870x2, but what is the "fan trick" ?

Zzoram

chespace said:
I guess I'll find out when I get my Powercolor 4870x2, but what is the "fan trick" ?

Make a custom profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive (the overclocking function, you don't have to overclock, just click the unlock button). You can then go to the file "C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\(profilename).xml. the xml file will have the same name as the catalyst profile you saved. Right click and hit edit.

Of the many lines you see, change the default to the bolded (eg. Automatic -> Manual)

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>

<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="35" />

Change the value from "automatic" to "manual" and Want value to "35"

Save the file then reload your profile in catalyst. If you load your custom profile, then delete the default profile, it'll be your only profile and will auto-load whenever Windows starts. The HD4800 series is locked to 10% fanspeed by default. Upping the speed to 35% is almost as quiet but drops the idle and load temperatures by ~20*C.

My experience with my HD4870 is the idle dropped from 75C to 50C, and load from 88C to 67C when using 35% fanspeed. It is not any louder from what I can tell, maybe very slightly. At 40%+ fanspeed, it becomes much louder, so I think 35% is the ideal spot. If you set to 35% and hear a jet engine, drop to 30% and see how it sounds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:

Pretty hot, turn up the fan speed.

chespace

I've basically spent the entire night reading the Warhead official thread... not even finished yet, but seeing all the different configurations from gaffers and their performance testimonies has been great. Also some of the screenshots posted in there are blowing my mind.

I haven't gotten to the end of the thread yet, but have they figured out the issue with DX10 yet? Really annoying seeing as I'll be on a 4870x2 and not a 280GTX.

DarthWoo

Should I wear gloves of some sort when I build my system? I know all about touching the frame of the case periodically to ground myself and prevent ESD, but wouldn't gloves preclude the possibility of a discharge entirely? At least latex ones anyway, but would some cheapy vinyl gloves also work?

Hajaz

no gloves, but you can get one of those crocodile clips with a wire to an armband to ground yourself to the case if youre really worried,

i didnt bother though

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DarthWoo said:
Should I wear gloves of some sort when I build my system? I know all about touching the frame of the case periodically to ground myself and prevent ESD, but wouldn't gloves preclude the possibility of a discharge entirely? At least latex ones anyway, but would some cheapy vinyl gloves also work?

Just touch the case/PSU

Epix

DarthWoo said:
Also, don't do the build on carpet if you can avoid it. Tile or linoleum will insulate and won't generate static charges.

DarthWoo

This is just getting nitpicky, but since the issue is grounding, does the tower actually have to be plugged in?

Epix

DarthWoo said:
This is just getting nitpicky, but since the issue is grounding, does the tower actually have to be plugged in?
Don't plug in the system until it's finished. The issue is static charges building up with no where to go except through your components. If you're really anal you can buy an ESD jacket to use while you're building but it's not necessary. Just be proactive and aware of the surfaces you and your components are in contact with.

DarthWoo said:
Varying opinions on that.

I've worked in several places that have you plug it in, and then others not plug in.

My pref is to be grounded to the case, WITHOUT power to the PSU just because I don't want to get any juice that wants to reach out and zap someone.

DarthWoo

Thanks. Unfortunately most of the places with a large enough work surface here are carpeted, so I guess I'll just have to make sure to touch the case every few seconds.

chespace

One thing I've been wondering about building a new system from a stack of parts from newegg.com... are there going to be cables/screws/adapters and other little do-dads that I'm going to need or should they all come packed in the box? What about tools?

For instance, I have no idea if I need HDD cables. Or a new VGA cable for my new monitor and video card, etc. :lol

Epix

chespace said:
One thing I've been wondering about building a new system from a stack of parts from newegg.com... are there going to be cables/screws/adapters and other little do-dads that I'm going to need or should they all come packed in the box? What about tools?

For instance, I have no idea if I need HDD cables. Or a new VGA cable for my new monitor and video card, etc. :lol
You should get everything included with both the case and the mobo. You should only need a Phillips head screwdriver.

DarthWoo

Anyone know of a good place to buy antistatic bags to dump my old components in? B&M would be quicker if that's possible.

Fireblend

Banned
So now that I'm seriously considering buying a new PC and going through some posts here I think this is pretty much what I'm ordering:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel case
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

...along with a DVD burner and a 500GB HD, everything from Newegg of course.

I'm still missing a video card though, and although I'm leaning towards the 4850, I'd like some final input into some other sub $200 alternative I could be missing. I think it's mainly the heat issues it seems to have what worries me, although that fan trick does sound like a nice solution. I'm also planning to get a new 22" monitor along with the computer, so I guess that has to be taken into account too? I was also reading about the GeForce 9800 GTX+, but then again, I fear my knowledge (or confidence :p) isn't enough to make a call or if it's even feasible with the motherboard I selected :p. So, any help? I'm pretty much ready to go with the 4850 though.

Also, this all ends up at around $900 (with the monitor).

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
chespace said:

Get a smaller phillips head with a magnetic tip. Will help drastically when installing the motherboard and PCI cards.

border

Some of the Dell refurbished systems I'm looking at come with 6 gigs of RAM and 64-bit Vista....what's the consensus on Vista 64 as a gaming platform? Good? Bad? Inconsistent? How do emulators run?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
border said:
Some of the Dell refurbished systems I'm looking at come with 6 gigs of RAM and 64-bit Vista....what's the consensus on Vista 64 as a gaming platform? Good? Bad? Inconsistent? How do emulators run?

Totally fine for me since SP1.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Zzoram said:
Make a custom profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive (the overclocking function, you don't have to overclock, just click the unlock button). You can then go to the file "C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\(profilename).xml. the xml file will have the same name as the catalyst profile you saved. Right click and hit edit.

Of the many lines you see, change the default to the bolded (eg. Automatic -> Manual)

</Feature>

Save the file then reload your profile in catalyst. If you load your custom profile, then delete the default profile, it'll be your only profile and will auto-load whenever Windows starts. The HD4800 series is locked to 10% fanspeed by default. Upping the speed to 35% is almost as quiet but drops the idle and load temperatures by ~20*C.

My experience with my HD4870 is the idle dropped from 75C to 50C, and load from 88C to 67C when using 35% fanspeed. It is not any louder from what I can tell, maybe very slightly. At 40%+ fanspeed, it becomes much louder, so I think 35% is the ideal spot. If you set to 35% and hear a jet engine, drop to 30% and see how it sounds.

You don't even need to get into complicated settings and do all that. The latest Rivatuner and the Gainward Expertools lets you set the fan manually without any fuss.

chespace

I'm thrilled. Newegg just told me my order has shipped. :D

Cross my fingers for Friday. I did 3 day UPS so it might be Monday. :p

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zzoram said:

</Feature>

Where is the default profile to delete it?

Chiggs

Gold Member
So, I just swapped out my GTX 260 for a Radeon 4870 HD (1gb, oc'd version from Powercolor), and I have say, I'm impressed...even for an incremental upgrade. Crysis runs better, despite the Nvidia optimizations, and everything else runs at least 10+ fps faster. Here's the card if anybody is interested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131120

The only downside is how loud the fan is. Good lord, it's a freaking turbine. Besides that, I'm pretty floored with it. This is the version ATI should have released from the get-go.

Rahnter

I need some help finding a relatively cheap and decent psu to fit in my 5.8" wide case. It currently has a 270W but I don't think it'll survive long.

64 X2 2400
ECS Micro Atx
2GB 800
Powercolor 3870
7200 HDD
Dvd/dvd-r

I'm looking for at least a 400w. Possible candidates:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159062

Notice a trend? Price is an issue. Any or suggestions are appreciated.

edit: the apevia in the last link was 5.9" wide.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...lickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16817341012

Will this work? There's a deal with 2x1GB for 50 w/ psu.

Hunter D

Chiggs said:
So, I just swapped out my GTX 260 for a Radeon 4870 HD (1gb, oc'd version from Powercolor), and I have say, I'm impressed...even for an incremental upgrade. Crysis runs better, despite the Nvidia optimizations, and everything else runs at least 10+ fps faster. Here's the card if anybody is interested.

The only downside is how loud the fan is. Good lord, it's a freaking turbine. Besides that, I'm pretty floored with it. This is the version ATI should have released from the get-go.
you selling that 260?

border

Very close to pulling the trigger on the following refurbished Dell cheap-o box, but still a little jittery:

Inspiron Desktop 530
Mini-tower: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
6GB DDR2 RAM at 667 Mhz
640 GB SATA Drive (7200 RPM)
Vista 64-bit Home Premium included

Price after taxes & shipping: $542.52

Any possible worries or deficiencies that I should be concerned about? It will obviously come with an Intel integrated graphics chip, though my understanding is that the 530's come with a PCI-e slot for graphics card upgrades. Others in this thread have expressed concern over the power supply in Dell's budget machines, though it should be able to handle an 8800 GT, right? The extra cost and complaints over ATI's driver support have convinced me to skip ATI's offerings (4850, 3870).

How much of a hit am I taking by not getting 800Mhz RAM? Is there any way to tell if I will be about to upgrade to 800Mhz in the future, if I so decide? Would I be better off getting one of the 4GB/32-bit Windows systems at 800Mhz, or is the extra 2 GB of RAM and 64-bit OS worth sacrificing clock speed for?

rdaubner

border said:
Very close to pulling the trigger on the following refurbished Dell cheap-o box, but still a little jittery:

Inspiron Desktop 530
Mini-tower: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)
6GB DDR2 RAM at 667 Mhz
640 GB SATA Drive (7200 RPM)
Vista 64-bit Home Premium included

Price after taxes & shipping: $542.52

Any possible worries or deficiencies that I should be concerned about? It will obviously come with an Intel integrated graphics chip, though my understanding is that the 530's come with a PCI-e slot for graphics card upgrades. Others in this thread have expressed concern over the power supply in Dell's budget machines, though it should be able to handle an 8800 GT, right? The extra cost and complaints over ATI's driver support have convinced me to skip ATI's offerings (4850, 3870).

How much of a hit am I taking by not getting 800Mhz RAM? Is there any way to tell if I will be about to upgrade to 800Mhz in the future, if I so decide?

Negligible - faster ram needed mainly for overclocking. That wont be possible on the dell, but don't sweat it. enjoy the rig, its gonna be great pc for gaming.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rdaubner said:
Negligible - faster ram needed mainly for overclocking. That wont be possible on the dell, but don't sweat it. enjoy the rig, its gonna be great pc for gaming.

This

chespace

Chiggs said:

Awesome. What did you do with your GTX 260?

chespace

Chiggs said:
It's going to Hazaro, who will be very happy with its performance.

Really really looking forward to building my rig.

I was having happy hour drinks with Kathleen (from 1up) earlier tonight and she told me that she once fried her mobo via static electricity. This was like, a decade ago, but still, now I'm all paranoid about it. She mentioned getting some anti-static spray for your clothes before you start handling the parts.

I hope my monitor has a decent refresh rate at 1920x1200.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
It's going to Hazaro, who will be very happy with its performance.

Just read the Anandtech article on it.

Nice stuff in there.

*Just keep touching the case, don't stand on carpet while wearing wool and socks and you'll be fine.

chespace said:

I was having happy hour drinks with Kathleen (from 1up) earlier tonight and she told me that she once fried her mobo via static electricity. This was like, a decade ago, but still, now I'm all paranoid about it. She mentioned getting some anti-static spray for your clothes before you start handling the parts.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.716

For two dollars with free shipping you might as well pick up an anti static wristband. Just attach it to your case and you'll constantly be grounded, I was paranoid too, so felt $2 was a sound investment.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
chespace said:

I suggest you really really be cautious. Good thing for the net, you can read up on things. When I first took it upon myself to learn to do it and being more aware of how PCs work, I fried $2000+ worth of components because of ignorance. I'm laughing about it now but I was crying then.

rdaubner said:

Heck even 533mhz RAM would be fast enough to run 1:1 with the FSB with that Q6600 at stock.

Top Bottom