• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

DarthWoo said:
Is it normal for the CPU to idle slightly warmer than it did on the first day after it's had time to settle in for a while? I'm not running anything particularly taxing (unless utorrent is) but it's now running at around 33C instead of the 20C it had yesterday.

Might want to also check your numbers using different programs...

My CPU temp recorded from Asus probe is vastly different from the value recorded by Coretemp.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Shenanigans at our receiving dept. means that I will prob not get my stuff today, even though it's sitting right there in their building. :(

So I went out and bought BiA: Hell's Highway. :(

Double whammy.

HokieJoe

chespace said:
I think I'm ready, mentally. I'm going to try and put this together nice and slow obviously.

Read manuals, be ginger about snapping things together, etc.

I'm going to obviously be consulting gaf so STANDBY OK.

If you don't have one, get yourself a grounding strap.

chespace said:
Shenanigans at our receiving dept. means that I will prob not get my stuff today, even though it's sitting right there in their building. :(

So I went out and bought BiA: Hell's Highway. :(

Double whammy.
Well that blows. Will they at least have someone there that can help you tomorrow?

SRG01

ahoyhoy said:
I managed to solve the problem by turning my clocks down in Rivatuner and letting CCC Auto-Tune for me. Hopefully the problem won't return.

It isn't a hardware problem. It caused by driver glitches and they're very evident in some nVidia driver releases.

suaveric

i'm looking to zero out my old hard drives when i move over to my new computer, is there any good free software for that? i gave google that question but i didn't seem to turn up anything. thanks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
suaveric said:
i'm looking to zero out my old hard drives when i move over to my new computer, is there any good free software for that? i gave google that question but i didn't seem to turn up anything. thanks

Boot n Nuke

DBAN

chespace

I know this is mostly a hardware thread but this feels relevant.

While waiting for my PC to arrive this week, I've been surfing for all sorts of PC gaming shit. Mostly Crysis. But a little bit of Stalker Clear Sky and Witcher too. Today I stumbled upon ArmA (Armed Assault?) on Steam and was reminded suddenly that I need to buy/play this game! I was a huge OpFlash freak so this game suddenly shot up to the top of my list. I almost want to play it more than Crysis at this point. :lol

Anyone get into ArmA and the cult of Bohemia Interactive besides me?

Anyway, here's the order of my PC backlog:

Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
Stalker
Fallout 3 (if I can finish Stalker by the time it comes out - if not, this game moves up)
Stalker: Clear Sky
Witcher
ArmA for infinity along with Trackmania and Crysis mods

Any other suggestions?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
chespace said:

TRACKMANIA NATIONS FOREVER!
Crysis
Stalker
Fallout 3 (if I can finish Stalker by the time it comes out - if not, this game moves up)
Witcher

Any other suggestions?
fixed.

Thank me later Che.

chespace said:

While waiting for my PC to arrive this week, I've been surfing for all sorts of PC gaming shit. Mostly Crysis. But a little bit of Stalker Clear Sky and Witcher too. Today I stumbled upon ArmA (Armed Assault?) on Steam and was reminded suddenly that I need to buy/play this game! I was a huge OpFlash freak so this game suddenly shot up to the top of my list. I almost want to play it more than Crysis at this point. :lol

Crysis
Stalker
Witcher

Any other suggestions?

TF2 and Left for Dead..

zoku88

Hazaro said:
His is the EXTREME version that uses SLC instead of the cheaper MLC memory, it's also over 3 times faster.

I doubt that little boot issue (just a few seconds) will be there.
Oh, I wasn't even aware that the X25-E was even out yet...

chespace

Ah, that's right. Left 4 Dead. Yup, gonna do this one on the PC 4 sure.

Not really into TF2, but that was on consoles... maybe PC will change my tune. Gonna be hard to justify paying for Orange Box again though.

Letsee, last PC game I played was literally Stalker last year on my laptop but it was cooking this poor thing. Game before that was Company of Heroes, and same deal, my laptop would get too hot and shut down so I had to play both games over steel tubs of icewater.

Vaporak

chespace said:

Crysis
Stalker
Witcher

Any other suggestions?

I'm liking the Kings Bounty demo, check that out if you want a old PC style sRPG in the style of might and magic.

duffey

So in reference to me getting the Dell I was talking about earlier: It came! It's really nice to be able to run games from the year 2007 and beyond now! Also, the case was way way smaller than I thought it'd be and getting the 8800 in there was fun. That said, testing some games out just to see what I'd get framrate wise blew me away. It's rather awesome to be able to run HL2 without it hitching! (This reminds me: Oh god my old machine was so terrible)

I'm still working on Crysis Warhead though. Does the CCC pack work on that?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
What does GAF think of this?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz ($170)

GPU: Two EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card ($160 x 2)

RAM: Two G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($63 x 2) *I need it for 3d modeling

Mobo: EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard ($220)

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($145)

HD: Western Digital 160gb 7200rpm ($42)

DVD: ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3T ($23)

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($50)

Total - $1095

What kind of cooling do I need for a rig with two 9800 GTXs?

Will everything fit into my case? Is it a good case? I am wary because it is cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Am I missing anything else?

chespace said:

Not really into TF2, but that was on consoles... maybe PC will change my tune. Gonna be hard to justify paying for Orange Box again though.

You can get TF2 by itself for $20. But seriously, there's a huge difference in gameplay b/t console and PC versions. There's better class balance b/c of the increase in precision and the pace is a lot faster. If you enjoyed it on console, you owe it to yourself to try it on PC. I myself got hooked on TF2 on console first.

border

duffey said:
So in reference to me getting the Dell I was talking about earlier: It came! It's really nice to be able to run games from the year 2007 and beyond now! Also, the case was way way smaller than I thought it'd be and getting the 8800 in there was fun. That said, testing some games out just to see what I'd get framrate wise blew me away. It's rather awesome to be able to run HL2 without it hitching! (This reminds me: Oh god my old machine was so terrible)
Did you get one of the new Inspiron 530 systems? Did it come with the hookup for a videocard? And PSU issues so far?

I bought a refurbished 530, also a Quad Core. Supposedly all the quad core systems come with a 350W PSU, which should make an 8800 pretty do-able. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to the day...

Zzoram

The Witcher is awesome, but it's a really long RPG (probably 50 hours, maybe even more). It might be hard for you to commit to finishing it during this season, when there are a ton of new releases. It might be smarter to start it during the Spring slowdown.

Then again, the same is probably true of Fallout 3, but that game probably has shorter ways to finish it, and lots of replayability for the different quest and story endings. The Witcher certainly has consequences to choices, but I don't feel any of them are big enough to warrant a replay, but one 50 hour romp through is well worth the $40.

duffey

border said:
Did you get one of the new Inspiron 530 systems? Did it come with the hookup for a videocard? And PSU issues so far?

I bought a refurbished 530, also a Quad Core. Supposedly all the quad core systems come with a 350W PSU, which should make an 8800 pretty do-able. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm looking forward to the day...
Yes, yes (which was really easy by the way, shouldn't be a problem for you), and no. And yeah, definitely came with a 350W and haven't had issues at all with it thus far. Getting used to Vista is my only big thing so far but I'm getting used to it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
toxicgonzo said:
What does GAF think of this?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz ($170)

GPU: Two EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card ($160 x 2)

RAM: Two G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($63 x 2) *I need it for 3d modeling

Mobo: EVGA NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard ($220)

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($145)

HD: Western Digital 160gb 7200rpm ($42)

DVD: ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3T ($23)

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($50)

Total - $1095

What kind of cooling do I need for a rig with two 9800 GTXs?

Will everything fit into my case? Is it a good case? I am wary because it is cheap.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Am I missing anything else?

Looks pretty good, so long as your sure 9800 GTX's are the way you want to go, when Crossfire 4850's are available for about the same price, while offering what seems to be more features and longer driver support.

RiverBed

Banned
a GPU question: do they have annual releases and do these annual releases have roughly the same performance jump from the previous ones? or do they have something 'major' every few years?
also, is there one main GPU (from eother nVidia or ATI) then they have derivative models for the rest of the year or so? for example, I saw how the 8800 got rave reviews and made splashes. I think the models after that were just slightly better or worse than it (8600, 9800 and so on) till the 280. now, can I expect different similar models around the 280 (260 and more) till next year till I see the next big model or doesn't that happen annually?

I just want to have a picture of how GPUs develope. I know CPUs have biannual jumps, if I'm not mistaken (dual core and quad core appeared less than a year apart?)
cheers.

Pachinko

So I decided to check this ncix website and they've got themselves a handy little system builder. I totally think I'll stick with my "wait and see in a few months" attitude though. Just out of curiosity I clicked on the "best" parts out of the options available and you could spend 5 large easy if you wanted top of the line everything.

About 4 months from now will be both an awesome time to get a fast pc for cheap or on the other side of the tech fence a shitty time to buy into the new shit.

RiverBed said:
a GPU question: do they have annual releases and do these annual releases have roughly the same performance jump from the previous ones? or do they have something 'major' every few years?
also, is there one main GPU (from eother nVidia or ATI) then they have derivative models for the rest of the year or so? for example, I saw how the 8800 got rave reviews and made splashes. I think the models after that were just slightly better or worse than it (8600, 9800 and so on) till the 280. now, can I expect different similar models around the 280 (260 and more) till next year till I see the next big model or doesn't that happen annually?

I just want to have a picture of how GPUs develope. I know CPUs have biannual jumps, if I'm not mistaken (dual core and quad core appeared less than a year apart?)
cheers.

Depends.

Right now we're in a holding pattern for the GPU's... meaning the performance jump from the 88XX lineup to the GTX lineup while a good performance boost, was nothing to terribly exciting. (per Nvidia)

With ATI, there was a huge jump from the 3xxx series to the 4xxx series and they are continuing to refine their lineup.

Both Nvidia and ATI usually release one big card per year and then offer updated or "refresh" models of that card either it be a small on die GPU proc, faster memory clock, more memory or faster memory (GDDR5/6 etc).

If you currently have an 8800GT card (like myself), you'd be wise to wait until next year of '09 or so since DX11 is getting thrown into ATI and Nvidia's next cards. Those cards will be a bigger jump in performance and design than the current crop.

Gully State said:
I have an issue with my current PC build and I'm hoping you guys can offer some insight on how to troubleshoot this...

The Setup
Ultra X-Connect Modular Power Supply 500 W (about 4 years old)
MOBO: P5Q Pro LGA 775
Processor: E8400
Video card: Visiontek 4850
Mem : Cosair DDR2-800 1GB (2 sticks)

The Problem
1-Random reboots- This can occur frequently or can be spaced by several hours of well behaved performance
2- After the reboot, the videocard fan will just go nuts are start spinning loudly and 2 red light LED's will start blinking on the videocard.
3- Today for the first time, my motherboard suddenly stopped recognizing my hard drive. After turning off the PSU and rewiring the modular wires on the power supply end, it was rectified.

What I've done so far
Checked the ram with memtest86- passed all tests
Check CPU temperatures with Coretemp, Asus probe- both in the same range (~39C idle, 44C 100% Load)
Check GPU temperature using Catalyst and used the fan profile hack to get temperatures down (now at 46C idle/66C 100% GPU load)

So I figure I've ruled out everything except a faulty mobo and a failing PSU (my best guess is the PSU). One thing I should mention is that this PSU has a 20 pin connector and a 4 pin connector. I have a 24 pin adaptor but I've just been plugging the 4pin into the 8 pin slot. Currently I ordered an 8 pin adaptor and I hope this rectifies the instability, but my gut feeling is that I'll have replace the power supply. Are there any other avenues for me to consider?

I just wanted to give you guys an update on what happened. I took the plunge and replaced the PSU with the Zalman ZM-600, and now the system runs like a dream. It turns out the PSU was the culprit.

Thanks Chiggs, Hazaro and rc213 for your help. I'm quoting my original post in the case anyone is having the same problems and is wondering how to troubleshoot. I guess it's true what people say about the power supply being the most important and under appreciated component of the PC.

RiverBed

Banned
thanks for the advice. I have an 8800 GTS that I bought perhaps a year ago. I'll wait for the DX11 enabled cards and read their reviews first.

cheers. :)

chespace said:

Letsee, last PC game I played was literally Stalker last year on my laptop but it was cooking this poor thing. Game before that was Company of Heroes, and same deal, my laptop would get too hot and shut down so I had to play both games over steel tubs of icewater.
Gully State said:
You can get TF2 by itself for $20. But seriously, there's a huge difference in gameplay b/t console and PC versions. There's better class balance b/c of the increase in precision and the pace is a lot faster. If you enjoyed it on console, you owe it to yourself to try it on PC. I myself got hooked on TF2 on console first.
This.

I loved Team Fortress Classic back in the day, bought the 360 version of Orange Box, and was gutted by how poorly the whole thing turned out on consoles. The PC version is infinitely better, and that's just from basic standpoints. With all the class updates, modes, achievements, etc. - with no end in sight, it's a game you'll keep coming back to for a very long time. If you like team games, it's an absolute must have, and for 20 bucks it's an outrageous steal.

It's also a great opportunity to start working on your Steam friends list too. Of course you don't specifically need TF2 for this, but chances are you know people who'd be interested in playing TF2 with you. At the very least, it's a good way to see how it all fits together.

chespace

bee said:
nehalem up for pre order, not long now

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=1272

UK + day one = love those prices

think i'll leave it until jan/feb for a price drop and sensible mobo prices, my e6600 will be 2 years 8 months old in feb :eek: its done damn well

So can someone give me a layman's breakdown of Nehalem and why it's so much more awesome than Core 2 (is that what the current Intels are on now)?

I mean, besides being the new upgrade, what's significant about it?

joelseph

GPU Power Question:

I am looking to purchase a GTX 260, its power requirements state 500W+ PSU with a +12V Rail of 36amps. Would an Enermax PSU with 535W total and +12V rail total of 34amps suffice?

Thanks

godhandiscen

chespace said:
So can someone give me a layman's breakdown of Nehalem and why it's so much more awesome than Core 2 (is that what the current Intels are on now)?

I mean, besides being the new upgrade, what's significant about it?
Each core acts as 2 threads, so the OS recognizes it as a 8 core processor. Also, due to this it is faster for multithreaded code (not exactly games, more like video editing). I think anadtech did some benches on a preview processor clocked at 2.5 and it was faster than a Core 2 clocked at 2.8 or something. However the benches were on video editing. I am not sure if people expect Nehalem to be fast at videogames right out of the bat. I think (and correct me if I am wrong) that people expect the first batch to be slow in games much like the original Quads were.

chespace

godhandiscen said:
Each core acts as 2 threads, so the OS recognizes it as a 8 core processor. Also, due to this it is faster for multithreaded code (not exactly games, more like video editing). I think anadtech did some benches on a preview processor clocked at 2.5 and it was faster than a Core 2 clocked at 2.8 or something. However the benches were on video editing. I am not sure if people expect Nehalem to be fast at videogames right out of the bat. I think (and correct me if I am wrong) that people expect the first batch to be slow in games much like the original Quads were.

Good. This is what I wanted to hear. :lol

I wonder when multi-core programming will become the norm in games.

dude

dude
Is Bioshock supposed to drive me insane? The game refuses to work properly in DirectX 10. At first the game wouldn't load when I started a new game. I looked around and apparently it was my Wacom tablet, so I took care of that and tried again - the same problem, after searching their official forums I found out it was because of RocketDock, quit that and tried again. Now after the splash screen I just get a black screen. but I found out (by pure chance) that the game worked in window mode, but because the game wouldn't load, I had to open the game in DX9, change it to windowed mode, and then open it in DX10, and change it to full screen again. So that worked a couple of time (though was annoying as hell), but now when I change the game to full screen in DX10, I get that black screen again.

I'm playing in DX9 for now, but there has to a way to play the thing in DX10!

JoeMartin

chespace said:

When the hardware industry forces the programmers kicking and screaming into necessitating multithreaded code.

But that still won't be for a long time yet, which is largely why I didn't wait for Nehalem since it's game performance isn't going to be OMGbetter with games.

godhandiscen

chespace said:

When the market of single core consumers doesn't render a profit anymore.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
chespace said:

The maximum speedup you can get from multicore is limited by the amount of code that is non-parallelizable. The formula is something like 1 / %non-parallelizable. Video games are always going to run in a main thread that is in an infinite loop, checking for player input, so there is a hard limit to how much parallelization you can get. I think we're seeing a good jump from Single to Dual Core because some of the graphics, lighting and physics calculations that get offloaded to the CPU can be done on one core while the game logic can be handled on the other.

Graphics, on the other hand very parallelizable because you can render each pixel individually. Physics are highly parallelizable too, which is why you see these things offloaded to GPUs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So, if I'm looking at the Q9XX series and the E8400 series, what kind of price differences am I looking at when factoring in building NOW or waiting till christmas when my parents, GF could scrounge up certain parts? I mean, Nehalem is releasing in between then and now right...will that make a big difference in the cost of the CPU/Mobo?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
godhandiscen said:
When the market of single core consumers doesn't render a profit anymore.
I haven't seen a single core computer being sold at retail in years. New releases are barely playable on single core. Multicore is here now and it's not going anywhere.

godhandiscen

SapientWolf said:
I haven't seen a single core computer being sold at retail in years. New releases are barely playable on single core. Multicore is here now and it's not going anywhere.
I am not debating games are moving towards multicore. I was just saying that publishers still benefit from single core consumers. The day we see a dual core in the requirements will be awesome.

dude said:
Is Bioshock supposed to drive me insane? The game refuses to work properly in DirectX 10. At first the game wouldn't load when I started a new game. I looked around and apparently it was my Wacom tablet, so I took care of that and tried again - the same problem, after searching their official forums I found out it was because of RocketDock, quit that and tried again. Now after the splash screen I just get a black screen. but I found out (by pure chance) that the game worked in window mode, but because the game wouldn't load, I had to open the game in DX9, change it to windowed mode, and then open it in DX10, and change it to full screen again. So that worked a couple of time (though was annoying as hell), but now when I change the game to full screen in DX10, I get that black screen again.

I'm playing in DX9 for now, but there has to a way to play the thing in DX10!

Did you download the patch? IIRC the patch addressed issues with people having it crash in fullscreen... I could be mistaken though.

duffey

godhandiscen said:
I am not debating games are moving towards multicore. I was just saying that publishers still benefit from single core consumers. The day we see a dual core in the requirements will be awesome.
I think Assassin's Creed actually has this. Last I looked on at least the Steam version it definitely had a note at the top saying "this game requires a dual-core processor" or whatever the official wording is.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
godhandiscen said:
For some games it is implied. For example, Supreme Commander (and Demigod, which runs on the same engine) have a framerate in the single digits on a single core when the action heats up. I guess they want to be as inclusive as possible with their minimum requirements because technically the games are playable on a single core.

Brad

Well my new PC is finally complete...

myrig.jpg

It sure is tacky. :lol

Thanks for all the advice and help everyoneee. Now I must wait until October 30 for Crysis. -_-

Top Bottom