• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 "I Need A New PC" Thread

godhandiscen said:
Each core acts as 2 threads, so the OS recognizes it as a 8 core processor. Also, due to this it is faster for multithreaded code (not exactly games, more like video editing). I think anadtech did some benches on a preview processor clocked at 2.5 and it was faster than a Core 2 clocked at 2.8 or something. However the benches were on video editing. I am not sure if people expect Nehalem to be fast at videogames right out of the bat. I think (and correct me if I am wrong) that people expect the first batch to be slow in games much like the original Quads were.

In some degrees the newer procs aren't as good as a faster overclocked Wolfdale. It simply comes down to how you're benchmarking the game(s).

Point being, is the new chipset series is going to be a swift kick in the nuts to the industry as it is truly the next gen of the Core 2.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
SapientWolf said:
For some games it is implied. For example, Supreme Commander (and Demigod, which runs on the same engine) have a framerate in the single digits on a single core when the action heats up. I guess they want to be as inclusive as possible with their minimum requirements because technically the games are playable on a single core.
I have both games (DemiGod Beta), and yeah, they are smooth as butter on my machine (Quad).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm thinking about doing a small upgrade for Left 4 Dead and Demigod. I have an x1950GT now (which overclocks to Pro speeds) and an AMD x2 4200+. Would a 3850 be too CPU limited to make a difference?

Zzoram

SapientWolf said:
I'm thinking about doing a small upgrade for Left 4 Dead and Demigod. I have an x1950GT now (which overclocks to Pro speeds) and an AMD x2 4200+. Would a 3850 be too CPU limited to make a difference?

An HD3850 is fine, but don't get one. They seem to be priced the same as the HD3870, at the roughly $99 mark, and the HD3870 is better.

If you push it up to $115, you can get the 8800GT 512mb which is better yet. The $160 HD4850 is probably out of your price range, but it is the best card to get since it's still pretty cheap but has just enough juice to really perform well in the latest stuff, moreso than the 8800GT can.

CPU isn't as limiting as many people believe. Especially when you max out settings at a pretty standard resolution of 1680x1050, it's more likely that your GPU can't handle the load than the CPU. A great CPU might add noticeable frames per second with an old GPU, but a great GPU will do orders of magnitude more with an old CPU.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Zzoram said:
An HD3850 is fine, but don't get one. They seem to be priced the same as the HD3870, at the roughly $99 mark, and the HD3870 is better.

If you push it up to $115, you can get the 8800GT 512mb which is better yet. The $160 HD4850 is probably out of your price range, but it is the best card to get since it's still pretty cheap but has just enough juice to really perform well in the latest stuff, moreso than the 8800GT can.

CPU isn't as limiting as many people believe. Especially when you max out settings at a pretty standard resolution of 1680x1050, it's more likely that your GPU can't handle the load than the CPU. A great CPU might add noticeable frames per second with an old GPU, but a great GPU will do orders of magnitude more with an old CPU.
I'm still rocking AGP yo. This would be my final upgrade before I go PCIe. I was all set to go Quad Core but 775 is a dead end, so I decided to try to wait until prices on i7 processors, LGA1160 mobos and DDR3 memory go down next year. I'm also gaming at 1360x768 on an HDTV. My biggest worry is that if I wait too long get the card it will no longer be available at a reasonable price.

Zzoram

SapientWolf said:
I'm still rocking AGP yo. This would be my final upgrade before I go PCIe. I was all set to go Quad Core but 775 is a dead end, so I decided to try to wait until prices on i7 processors, LGA1160 mobos and DDR3 memory go down next year. I'm also gaming at 1360x768 on an HDTV. My biggest worry is that if I wait too long get the card it will no longer be available at a reasonable price.

Oh AGP. Ya, the HD3850 is probably the best AGP card out there, and it's pretty good, especially at that low 720pTV resolution.

SRG01

Fuzz Rez said:
Which one should i get ? AMD PHENOM 9950 2.6GHz BlackBox or Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz

The Q9550 quad probably costs way more than the Phenom too, btw. On the other hand, it beats the phenom pretty easily.

zoku88

SRG01 said:
The Q9550 quad probably costs way more than the Phenom too, btw. On the other hand, it beats the phenom pretty easily.
I think there's like... a $100 difference. It's kinda... odd to compare things of two totally different prices...

Zzoram

zoku88 said:
I think there's like... a $100 difference. It's kinda... odd to compare things of two totally different prices...

Even so, I'd rather have the more similarly priced Q9450 than the Phenom 9950.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Fuzz Rez said:
Which one should i get ? AMD PHENOM 9950 2.6GHz BlackBox or Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
I think "Wait a month and see how Bloomfield turns out" should be the default answer here. Otherwise it's very likely that you're going to have to factor in the cost of DDR3 memory and a new motherboard into your next processor upgrade. And I'm sure AMD isn't resting on their laurels either. I expect to see the successor to AM2 in 2009 as well.

From what I know of computer architecture, memory bandwidth is currently the bottleneck, so any improvements in that area should help quite a bit.

hitsugi

okay, after going back and forth for a while about things and going against the Antec Sonata 3 case / psu, here's what I've got:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz ($170)

GPU: VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ($270)

RAM: Two G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($63 x 2) *I need it for 3d modeling
G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($70)

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard ($140)

PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply ($100)

HD: Western Digital Caviar SE 500gb 7200rpm ($65)

DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA ($23)

Case: Antec 300 ($55)

Total after discounts + shipping - $947. After rebates - $872.

My resolution is 1650 x 1080.. I think this should handle things perfectly, but a second or third opinion / any suggestions, etc. wouldn't hurt in terms of helping me pull the trigger on this purchase. Thanks!

Pachinko

so on friday I went to a local computer store and asked if they do upgrades, the guys like "yeah we do , what'd you need?" very helpful. So I told him I had a motherboard with 775 pin processor connectivly and I noticed that dual and quad cores seem to have the same pin count, I was curious if I could upgrade my processor . Well sadly for me that 775 pin is but one aspect of the processors stats so I'd basically have to buy a brand new rig , I didn't quite let out what I needed the new computer for until after a short discussion on pc parts and such . Eventually though I let slip I was trying to play crysis and he basically went out with it "yeah your gonna need a new computer to play crysis".

Thanks to you guys I checked that NCIX site as I live in canada and found to buy something close to what I want would currently set me back 1800 dollars ... and that's without any accessories (I have a 5.1 speaker setup, 22 inch monitor, mouse, keyboard,etc).

So I suppose my whole plan of waiting 6 months will have to stay that way. For even more hilarity I tried picking the best looking parts on their system builder and the whole thing was 4 large. Yikes is all I've gotta say.

Ravenn17

I bought a Gigabyte-EP43-DS3L, and I think the memory I bought isn't supported. For some reason I assumed all DDR 2 800 is supported, but apparently it's only specific brands/modules. I found this out because I would get the occasional memory managment blue screen error in Vista, even when the HDD was whiped clean. I checked the Gigabyte website, and sure enough, my module isn't on their.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ep43-ds3l.pdf

Anybody know what component p/n stands for?

zoku88

SapientWolf said:
I think "Wait a month and see how Bloomfield turns out" should be the default answer here. Otherwise it's very likely that you're going to have to factor in the cost of DDR3 memory and a new motherboard into your next processor upgrade. And I'm sure AMD isn't resting on their laurels either. I expect to see the successor to AM2 in 2009 as well.

From what I know of computer architecture, memory bandwidth is currently the bottleneck, so any improvements in that area should help quite a bit.
By 2009 you mean, 'this month or next' right?

Since that's what is pretty much happening.
Zzoram said:
Even so, I'd rather have the more similarly priced Q9450 than the Phenom 9950.
Well, yea. I was just noting that that comparison was a bit weird :lol

It's like saying, 'which one is better, the 4850 or the GTX 260' when those cards aren't even the same price :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ravenn17 said:
I bought a Gigabyte-EP43-DS3L, and I think the memory I bought isn't supported. For some reason I assumed all DDR 2 800 is supported, but apparently it's only specific brands/modules. I found this out because I would get the occasional memory managment blue screen error in Vista, even when the HDD was whiped clean. I checked the Gigabyte website, and sure enough, my module isn't on their.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ep43-ds3l.pdf

Anybody know what component p/n stands for?

Almost all memory is usually compatible.

Try running memtest 86+ and see what it reports back.

If you can test them in another computer with memtest then you can find out if it is the modules.

Ravenn17

Hazaro said:
Almost all memory is usually compatible.

Try running memtest 86+ and see what it reports back.

If you can test them in another computer with memtest then you can find out if it is the modules.

Does this work with Vista 64-bit?

hitsugi said:
okay, after going back and forth for a while about things and going against the Antec Sonata 3 case / psu, here's what I've got:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz ($170)

GPU: VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ($270)

RAM: Two G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($63 x 2) *I need it for 3d modeling
G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($70)

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard ($140)

PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply ($100)

HD: Western Digital Caviar SE 500gb 7200rpm ($65)

DVD: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA ($23)

Case: Antec 300 ($55)

Total after discounts + shipping - $947. After rebates - $872.

My resolution is 1650 x 1080.. I think this should handle things perfectly, but a second or third opinion / any suggestions, etc. wouldn't hurt in terms of helping me pull the trigger on this purchase. Thanks!

If you're going to spend $270 on the 4870 512MB, you might as well put in the extra 10-20 bucks for the 1 gig version. And if not, bestbuy is selling 512 MB version for $225.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8894048&st=visiontek&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1212192380239

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Zzoram said:
What is your time zone? PST?

PST, yeah. Damn this Antec 1200 case is a beast.

So in what order should I start building?

Open the Antec, prep it for the Corsair PSU? Insert PSU, then mobo, then CPU, then HSF, then RAM?

Or put the CPU on the mobo, put RAM on the mobo, then HSF on mobo, then put mobo into Antec, then PSU last?

Zzoram

chespace said:
PST, yeah. Damn this Antec 1200 case is a beast.

So in what order should I start building?

Open the Antec, prep it for the Corsair PSU? Insert PSU, then mobo, then CPU, then HSF, then RAM?

Or put the CPU on the mobo, put RAM on the mobo, then HSF on mobo, then put mobo into Antec, then PSU last?

Open the case and install and screw in the PSU, hard drive, and DVD-RW. Take mobo out and lay it on top of it's antistatic bag. Install the CPU and heatsinkfan (read carefully, make sure all 4 pins of the fan click and are fully through, it'll take a lot of pressure), install the RAM, then screw the mobo into the case. Remove the 2 back slit covers behind the PCI-E x16 slot, and install your video card, screwing it in. Then start connecting everything to the mobo and PSU.

Make sure your mobo outputs are lined up properly to the back of the case. You'll likely have to pop off the back output grate and use the one included in your mobo box, to match the configuration of your particular mobo.

bee

installing cpu heatsink while the mobo is installed in the case is better/easier on that case as the psu is located at the bottom so doesn't get in the way

Zzoram

bee said:
installing cpu heatsink while the mobo is installed in the case is better/easier on that case as the psu is located at the bottom so doesn't get in the way

Not for the pushpins it's not. I found it was hard to tell if I got the CPU HSF pushpins all the way through when pressing from inside the case. I had to take my mobo back out to get it on properly.

bee

Zzoram said:
Not for the pushpins it's not. I found it was hard to tell if I got the CPU HSF pushpins all the way through when pressing from inside the case. I had to take my mobo back out to get it on properly.

it clicks when it goes all the way through and locks, although i will accept that pushpins suck but that's one of the reasons you should buy a good case with removeable tray

you should go something like this for an install order imo

mobo standoffs
mobo i/o shield plate
mobo
cpu
cpu heatink
ram
dvd
hdd's
graphics
psu
connect all power/data cables
connect case cables
turn on

depends if you wanna do any tricky cable routing, personally i'm way too lazy for all that it wont make any temperature difference especially in that case, looks nice though i guess

careful

Pachinko said:
so on friday I went to a local computer store and asked if they do upgrades, the guys like "yeah we do , what'd you need?" very helpful. So I told him I had a motherboard with 775 pin processor connectivly and I noticed that dual and quad cores seem to have the same pin count, I was curious if I could upgrade my processor . Well sadly for me that 775 pin is but one aspect of the processors stats so I'd basically have to buy a brand new rig , I didn't quite let out what I needed the new computer for until after a short discussion on pc parts and such . Eventually though I let slip I was trying to play crysis and he basically went out with it "yeah your gonna need a new computer to play crysis".

Thanks to you guys I checked that NCIX site as I live in canada and found to buy something close to what I want would currently set me back 1800 dollars ... and that's without any accessories (I have a 5.1 speaker setup, 22 inch monitor, mouse, keyboard,etc).

So I suppose my whole plan of waiting 6 months will have to stay that way. For even more hilarity I tried picking the best looking parts on their system builder and the whole thing was 4 large. Yikes is all I've gotta say.

How are you getting $1800 if you already have a monitor, kb+mouse, speakers, etc..
I'm in the exact situation you are (also in Canada) and my built cost me about $900 (including mail in rebates):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13045378&postcount=5187
This rig will max out everything 'cept Crysis at your native 22in res.

DirectCanada is basically owned by NCIX, so you can price match at NCIX if you want. But I got a special for free shipping. I didn't pay PST either since the store is in BC and I'm in QC. Wait for Wednesday nights, that's when they usually have their sales (don't use the system builder).

SRG01

bee said:
it clicks when it goes all the way through and locks, although i will accept that pushpins suck but that's one of the reasons you should buy a good case with removeable tray

you should go something like this for an install order imo

mobo standoffs
mobo i/o shield plate
mobo
cpu
cpu heatink
ram
dvd
hdd's
graphics
psu
connect all power/data cables
connect case cables
turn on

depends if you wanna do any tricky cable routing, personally i'm way too lazy for all that it wont make any temperature difference especially in that case, looks nice though i guess

When I was a system builder, we did it this way:

mobo + cpu + heatsink (outside case)

psu
standoffs
mobo
case cables
cards
drives
power cables (hide with wire ties)
data cables (hide with wire ties)

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:
Damn this Antec 1200 case is a beast.

Isn't it, though? Phenomenal cooling and plenty of control over it, plus you get dust filters and plenty of space for cable management behind the mobo.

Edit: Make sure you get the additional fans installed inside the case, the most important being the one that is placed on the other end of the wind tunnel.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Chiggs said:
Isn't it, though? Phenomenal cooling and plenty of control over it, plus you get dust filters and plenty of space for cable management behind the mobo.

Edit: Make sure you get the additional fans installed inside the case, the most important being the one that is placed on the other end of the wind tunnel.

I think he is mentioning how frikken hueg it is :lol

bee

in a decent case you can just slot the psu in from the back, looks like you can do that with the 1200 which is why i leave it until last to keep all those cables out the way but yeah if you wanna do all fancy cable routing behind the mobo tray etc then it needs to go in early

godhandiscen

Chiggs said:

If the 900 is anything to go by, he wont be able to install that fan with a 4870x2.

edit: I heard the 1200 was just taller than the 900 (got one), so I might be wrong.

chespace

godhandiscen said:
If the 900 is anything to go by, he wont be able to install that fan with a 4870x2.

edit: I heard the 1200 was just taller than the 900 (got one), so I might be wrong.

I think it's taller. I haven't opened the box yet, but I will soooon....

godhandiscen

chespace said:
I think it's taller. I haven't opened the box yet, but I will soooon....
Measure where the videocard will go (4870x2 is 13 inches) and if you can possibly fit the fan that goes at the end of the wind tunnel behind the card it will be fine. If not, just buy a thinner fan or don't worry about it like me.

edit, yes that 1200 is taller, but it might also be longer.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
godhandiscen said:
Measure where the videocard will go (4870x2 is 13 inches) and if you can possibly fit the fan that goes at the end of the wind tunnel behind the card it will be fine. If not, just buy a thinner fan or don't worry about it like me.

edit, yes that 1200 is taller, but it might also be longer.

I thought the GTX 260/280 and 4870x2 were all 10.5 inches?

That card and fan will fit fine. (Both the top and rear, if that is what you are talking about)

godhandiscen

Hazaro said:
I thought the GTX 260/280 and 4870x2 were all 10.5 inches?

That card and fan will fit fine. (Both the top and rear, if that is what you are talking about)
BRB, going to meassure.

edit: You are right, the 4870x2 is close to 11 inches, but the fan that Antec gives you with the 900 is not small enough to fit behing the videocard (I tried). What I did was buy an extra fan and install it on the side.

chespace

Shitty iPhone picture incoming.

Here's $1900 worth of gear sitting in the corner of my office. :p

20sfxn4.jpg

zoku88

Oh wow, I noticed my laptop getting slower and acting all weird, so I decided to run memtest on it...

I hit the first error in 5 seconds. And by first error, I mean that one and the 6000 others :-/

Actually, I think the test was forced to stop for some reason (too much to print out? idk)

My question is... doesn't such erroneous RAM usually cause a system to crash?

godhandiscen

chespace said:
Shitty iPhone picture incoming.

Here's $1900 worth of gear sitting in the corner of my office. :p

20sfxn4.jpg
OH SHIT YOU GOT GOD's PSU! High Five Che.
zoku88 said:
Oh wow, I noticed my laptop getting slower and acting all weird, so I decided to run memtest on it...

I hit the first error in 5 seconds. And by first error, I mean that one and the 6000 others :-/

Actually, I think the test was forced to stop for some reason (too much to print out? idk)

It should. However it gives you a sense of stability for a couple minutes and then as soon as you run some crazy operation it will fail and crash. I never noticed defects in my ram giving me slow performance, just a crash after a while.

JSnake

Question: I've been told my Corsair CMPSU-450VX can run a HD 4870. Is this true? If so, I've heard that the 4870 requires an eight-pin connector which the 450VX doesn't have. How would I connect the card?

godhandiscen

JSnake said:
Question: I've been told my Corsair CMPSU-450VX can run a HD 4870. Is this true? If so, I've heard that the 4870 requires an eight-pin connector which the 450VX doesn't have. How would I connect the card?
I dont know if 450 is enough to run the 4870, but you can use an adapter for the connector, look them up.

zoku88

godhandiscen said:
It should. However it gives you a sense of stability for a couple minutes and then as soon as you run some crazy operation it will fail and crash. I never noticed defects in my ram giving me slow performance, just a crash after a while.
That's the thing, I have periods of extended RAM use where I supposedly use 100% (photoshop, mostly.)

I would've thought that I would've gotten a BSOD by now...

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
zoku88 said:

My laptop started acting weird about 2 months ago, like taking longer to boot and load programs and such. Sometimes it would fail to boot entirely. About a month after the problems started, I realized the hard drive was failing, and ordered a replacement (easy install and only about 60 bucks).

Oh, and nice choice in Mobo's chespace. Plenty of ports and overclocks with ease.

Top Bottom