• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

LOcKY

oh well what other games are left to push hardware for xbox360 and ps3? im dread to see what the numbers will be like next month Wii Fit.

If the hardware and stock is available i can see nintendo selling the BIG 1million units.

i cant wait for the rubbish PR excuses from ms and sony i want to see how they can spin this.

Sean

Banned
Holy shit, that is surprising as hell. There's GOTTA be a typo there, right?

HD gaming is on life support. Who would've thought that both next-gen consoles would've had a sub-200k month during the release of GTAIV? Fuck arguing over which console benefited more from the game, this is HORRIBLE performance from both. Price cut needed ASAP.

Crisis

Banned
Speevy said:
So did GT5 Prologue bomb considering it's a glorified preview or do well?

GT5P did well. Those are the retail sales. We don't know how many they sold online. I doubt that GTAIV disappointed. It came out on the 29th and it should have long legs.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Yes Boss! said:
OK,

This seriously looks to be the end of the HD consoles. Damn shame since i was rooting for the PS3. I've still got one eye open for the Triple and Banjo onthe 360...after that is is finished :-(

It's not the end. It just delayed HD for a few years until Wii 2 comes along

theguy

Remember that we're in a damn recession. I was telling someone earlier that April marked the first month that I've not purchased a title in many, many years. Everything changed once it started costing over $60 a week to fill my gas tank. To expect one title starting at $60 to sell hardware priced from $300 at its cheapest, to over $500 in this economy is ridiculous. Those of you with your heads in the clouds had best stop watching CNBC where you'd think that everything's just rosey and pay attention to what's happening in the real world.

GTAIV will be kicking ass throughout the rest of the year but the 360 and PS3 aren't at the $150ish price point the PS2 was at when GTA:SA launched, nor are either anywhere near the install base of the PS2 when SA launched.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
zealousd-junenpddomination.gif

Jibber Hack said:
Well, Wii numbers didn't go up either, so that means Mario Kart didn't move any systems either. Amiright?

Actually yes it did, last month was a 5 week month. So Wii has increased by about 50ishK a week!

I logged in today and got an Error 500 message. I checked the date and yes, it is NPD day. I saw the thread title, was intrigued, clicked on the thread, expecting to see Nintendo at ~500K all round and the PS3 and 360 at ~300K.

And then I saw the hardware numbers...

And then I saw the software numbers...

And then I silently mouthed "Holy shit!"

And then, I LOL'd.

Dante

Seems like it wasn't really a great time to pick up either console though....

MGS4 bundle right around the corner....

360 Price drop coming....

OK, I am just trying to be an optimist.

Foxix Von

I'm really surprised that Mario kart beat the ps3 version of GTA O-o I really expected GTA to dominate everything...

HOLY SHIT @ NINTENDO O_O it just keeps going and going. If I didn't know any better I would have to say that the Wii and DS fueled by spiral energy or something.

Nintendo
MegsKicked.gif
Everybody else

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This is probably the biggest asskicking Nintendo has laid down in quite some time, and that's saying something considering their success in the past few years.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Jibber Hack said:
Well, Wii numbers didn't go up either, so that means Mario Kart didn't move any systems either. Amiright?

Well it's 4 weeks this time, sooo yes it sort of did.

EDIT: So very late

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
*takes deep breath*

AHUAHAUAHUAHAUAAHAUHAUAHAAUAH

Holyyyyyyy fuck. :lol :lol What in the world happened here? How do you get LOWER sales when the allegedly biggest game of the generation shows up? And by THAT much a percentage?

arne

Clearly Microsoft and Sony underestimated demand for their console in April and for the GTAIV launch -- they were not able to manufacture enough units to meet such high sustained demand resulting in such low numbers. Quite a shame really.

Nuclear Muffin said:
I guess that most people who were interested in GTA4 had already bought one of the two HD consoles. Maybe Reggie`s "Halo 3 won`t move 360`s since people already bought it for other FPSs" comment rings true again?

Mind you though, aren`t both the PS3 and 360 actually B]down[/B] over last month for weekly sales? That shouldn`t be happening!

Why wont this logic die?

They are just not affordable for everyone.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jibber Hack said:

Actually they did. This was a 4 week month. Last month it was 5 weeks

harSon

Banned
I'm going to stab Yamauchi if the jump from this generation to the next is simply the addition of a motion controller.

Crisis

Banned
Dante said:
Seems like it wasn't really a great time to pick up either console though....

MGS4 bundle right around the corner....

360 Price drop coming....

OK, I am just trying to be an optimist.

That definitely played a role. You can hold out until June 12 and get yourself a MGS4 PS3. And a lot of people really expected Microsoft to drop the price of the 360 for GTA IV.

Dont expect any price drop soon... dollar is not worth anything on international market. So Sony and Microsoft have to pay for that...

Wii>>>>>>>>> X360>PS3

Nice...

Oblivion said:
*takes deep breath*

AHUAHAUAHUAHAUAAHAUHAUAHAAUAH

Holyyyyyyy fuck. :lol :lol What in the world happened here? How do you get LOWER sales when the allegedly biggest game of the generation shows up? And by THAT much a percentage?

Nothing ordinary is happening this generation. lol, why be surprised.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
theguy said:
Remember that we're in a damn recession. I was telling someone earlier that April marked the first month that I've not purchased a title in many, many years. Everything changed once it started costing over $60 a week to fill my gas tank. To expect one title starting at $60 to sell hardware priced from $300 at its cheapest, to over $500 in this economy is ridiculous. Those of you with your heads in the clouds had best stop watching CNBC where you'd think that everything's just rosey and pay attention to what's happening in the real world.

GTAIV will be kicking ass throughout the rest of the year but the 360 and PS3 aren't at the $150ish price point the PS2 was at when GTA:SA launched, nor are either anywhere near the install base of the PS2 when SA launched.

Video games are surprisingly an inelastic product. If recession was effecting the market it would effect the entire market, not just the 360 and PS3

JavyOO7

I'm just very happy for Mario Kart. Its my GOTY so far. I can't wait to go home this Friday and play more Mario Kart with the rest of the GAF folks who have MK.

It truly is an awesome game. Of course it has some flaws but man do the positives outweigh the negatives in this one. Wooooooooooooooooooo

Wow at the numbers. I have extreme confidence that GTA will continue to sell for months so that isn't really an issue with a 5 day snapshot although those Wii numbers are amazing.

Top Bottom