• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

Wanace

Looks great except for the muzzle flash, which is straight out of 1995. What the heck were they thinking?

And can I run around the city like that with a pistol and have the civilians fight me? Or attack sheep as a dog? Or crash into them with the car I'm driving? So much potential here. Someone should make an adventure game or open-world RPG with this engine.

Darklord

Banned
Burger said:
Australia/NZ: August 20 ? Fuck that. Wonder if you can get around that with Steam.

Get it from 365games. Fast shipping, less than half the price and $1 postage and released tomorrow.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Those big battles are amazing. It looks like war footage. These games really drive home the whole, "you are one small soldier on the battlefield" feeling. It's overwhelming. Will buy :)

cameltoe

brain_stew said:
Nice! :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnAV_XuQyg&NR=1

Damn!

I can't wait to see what the mod community can do with this thing once they've had enough time to get to grips with it, potential is astounding.

I think the excellent motion blur and HDR lighting go along way to achieving that. They're the best implementation of those two effects I've seen, Utterly stunning.

Agree 100% its really amazing!

speedpop said:
:lol holy shit at those massive battles.

Watching those two Youtube HD vids I linked to on the last page gave me the biggest stunned "holy shit!" reaction I've had since watching the original Crysis footage. No joke.

Barakov said:
The dogs. :lol

I can't wait to check this out.

Oh man, I don't know what to do now. SF4 releases a week after this. I have been waiting for SF4 to hit the PC since it was announced but this just looks killer. GAF help a nerd out!

LovingSteam said:
Oh man, I don't know what to do now. SF4 releases a week after this. I have been waiting for SF4 to hit the PC since it was announced but this just looks killer. GAF help a nerd out!

This isn't really a "day one" experience kind of game. You'll be well served waiting a while for all the bugs to work themselves out and for some interesting mods to show up. So SFIV first seems like the best route imo.

brain_stew said:
This isn't really a "day one" experience kind of game. You'll be well served waiting a while for all the bugs to work themselves out and for some interesting mods to show up. So SFIV first seems like the best route imo.

Thanks man! :)

Nikorasu

brain_stew said:

Kind of ironically, now would be a good time to get into the original Arma with the 1.16 beta and warfare patch (soon to be final). The game is finally working properly for me on Windows 7 x64. :D

Maybe Arma 2 will be playable in time for Arma 3's release! :lol

Shawsie64

Banned
Nikorasu said:
Kind of ironically, now would be a good time to get into the original Arma with the 1.16 beta and warfare patch (soon to be final). The game is finally working properly for me on Windows 7 x64. :D

Maybe Arma 2 will be playable in time for Arma 3's release! :lol

See this sorta irritates me.. as a consumer i want to have a working product straight out the box and not have to wait months or even years for it to work as it was intended.. Im still buying Arma 2 but its pretty sad that a sound fix mod that sounds 10 times more realistic that the ones in the game is released so quickly after the games release by the mod community.. seriously Bohemia? couldn't you have done that? :lol

for the record iv been a PC gamer for years so i am used to things being patched up after launch

Shawsie64 said:
See this sorta irritates me.. as a consumer i want to have a working product straight out the box and not have to wait months or even years for it to work as it was intended.. Im still buying Arma 2 but its pretty sad that a sound fix mod that sounds 10 times more realistic that the ones in the game is released so quickly after the games release by the mod community.. seriously Bohemia? couldn't you have done that? :lol

for the record iv been a PC gamer for years so i am used to things being patched up after launch

A project like this is always going to have these sort of problems. I'm just happy that there's developers willing to reach for the sky like this. They could have spent their budget and instead made a highly a small polished corridor/COD type shooter but then we've had 100s of them but nothing ever matching the potential of something like this. Its unfortunate sure but it goes with the territory. You really need a large active player base to find and route out all fo the bugs in a project of this scale.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Shawsie64 said:

you really shouldn't think of this game like that. at this point, you're basically buying the engine - with a bonus single player campaign. bohemia can now work on tuning it, while the community works on expanding the experience.

if you want a closed, polished, conservative box product - op flashpoint 2 should be out this year. if you want to venture out on to the rugged, unpredictable frontier of pc gaming, buy arma 2.

Shawsie64

Banned
brain_stew said:
A project like this is always going to have these sort of problems. I'm just happy that there's developers willing to reach for the sky like this. They could have spent their budget and instead made a highly a small polished corridor/COD type shooter but then we've had 100s of them but nothing ever matching the potential of something like this. It goes with the territory.

Yeah you do have a point there and im yet to play it myself so i'll wait to play it myself. Def importing though, damn Australian august release!

ghst said:
you really shouldn't think of this game like that. at this point, you're basically buying the engine - with a bonus single player campaign. bohemia can now work on tuning it, while the community works on expanding the experience.

if you want a closed, polished, conservative box product - op flashpoint 2 should be out this year. if you want to venture out on to the rugged, unpredictable frontier of pc gaming, buy arma 2.

and this, these two posts are making me look at the game in a different light now :D

ghst said:

Yep, that's precisely how it works and we need developers like this to really push the technology and gameplay envelope into uncharted territory. You're basically getting a glimpse into the next generation of games here, you can't expect things to be perfect when you're 5 years early to the party like this.

Shawsie64

Banned
oh and I figure this is as good a place as any to ask about the TrackIR.. does anybody use these here? im really tempted to buy one to go with Arma2 and my various other racing sims ect...

Shawsie64 said:
oh and I figure this is as good a place as any to ask about the TrackIR.. does anybody use these here? im really tempted to buy one to go with Arma2 and my various other racing sims ect...

Never tried one but like you I find its definitely interesting technology. Apparently flight sim fanatics have swore by it for years. Its got a pretty extensive list of supported games as well.

Shawsie64

Banned
brain_stew said:
Never tried one but like you I find its definitely interesting technology. Apparently flight sim fanatics have swore by it for years. Its got a pretty extensive list of supported games as well.

Yeah iv been looking into it for a while. I might just go ahead and bite the bullet =/ looks to add alot of immersion to games it supports.

I got trackir5 for arma2. don't find it useful at all for running around. alt-mouse works better for me. maybe I have to get used to, but I don't really want to. it works.. amazing in the heli though. it's such a weird subtle 3d awareness feeling aswell, feel so much more in control. very cool.

Hitmeneer

So, anyone here who got the game?

Any words about the performance? I got an Intel E2160, 4 GB ram and a 8800 GT 512, but I am afraid the game won't run smooth on my PC. Especially the processor is a real bottleneck :( .

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I was going to wait but I bought it anyway, just been messing around and the game obviously needs some work, played the armoury a little and it's pretty cool. You can do some challenges to unlock more weapons, vehicles and characters, though when I tried to go up a ramp as a goat it wouldn't let me at all, so I pretty much cheated that challenge, and opening the ramp killed me, tried some steal mission and went to the marker and nothing was there.

I'll do the tutorials and stuff later, the motion blur is pretty sweet. I just left most of the settings to what the game was defaulted to, get like 25-60FPS depending on what's happened on my Q6600 (at 3GHz), 4GB RAM, and 4870, I'll probably mess around with the settings later and see what's what.

With the right group of people it should be awesome to work together and just do some missions, supposedly a patch is coming soon that'll increase performance and fix some bugs.

Probably best to wait a few weeks for the game unless you're impatient, but definitely has the potential to be an amazing game.

Hitmeneer said:
So, anyone here who got the game?

Any words about the performance? I got an Intel E2160, 4 GB ram and a 8800 GT 512, but I am afraid the game won't run smooth on my PC. Especially the processor is a real bottleneck :( .

Just OC your processor to 3ghz (a piece of piss) and away you go. No one runs an E2160 at stock, that be crazy.

Hitmeneer

brain_stew said:
Just OC your processor to 3ghz (a piece of piss) and away you go. No one runs an E2160 at stock, that be crazy.

Well, you are right, but I was to lazy to do it (and atm it is passively cooled by a Scythe Mugen). The E2160 was actually a temp. processor for me, till the Q9450 would be available in shops. But after a half year, I couldn't be bother do switch :p .

But it is a good point, with overclocking it should run fine..

Skenzin

Banned
Holy Moly!!

I just built a gaming PC last week and I had no idea why. Now I realize I was subconsciously awaiting this game all along.

Shawsie64

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
I got trackir5 for arma2. don't find it useful at all for running around. alt-mouse works better for me. maybe I have to get used to, but I don't really want to. it works.. amazing in the heli though. it's such a weird subtle 3d awareness feeling aswell, feel so much more in control. very cool.

sweet, im tempted to buy one but pricey as =/ theres all this stuff about using a wiimote to make a trackir so i might look into that though apparently arma2 wont support freetrack..

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Full changelog apparently:

CHANGELOG:
----------

Engine
------
* Multiple savegame positions allowed.
* Configuration fixes in radio protocol (including faster reaction to crew-related orders in vehicles).
* Multiplayer server browser enlarged.
* Improved steering for car.
* Improved mobile artillery simulation.
* Improved terrain shape beyond map borders.
* Improved Micro AI tactics, attack in pairs, path limiting to avoid passing through walls.
* Added UAV camera stabilization.
* Indication of player connection status in list of players (Diary).
* Possible to connect to server with template-based MP scenario.
* Repeated weapon change command fixed in radio protocol.
* Game no longer crashes when copying a linked trigger in the Mission Editor.
* Different radio notification of multiple units attacking.
* NAT negotiation issue removed (different negative sign cookie on client and server).
* Fixed possible crash after or during Get In in multiplayer.
* Improved transfer of building destruction in multiplayer.
* Fine surface information are now properly used for surface properties.
* Destroyed targets are no more massively reported after player has left the vehicle.
* Proper update of AI pathfinding when new building is created in the landscape (new objects were ignored).
* VON no longer crashes the game in certain circumstances.
* AI sprinting on the spot removed if route was planned across the roof.
* Server shown as passworded in Server Browser when passworded or locked.
* Improved functionality of Get In command if player is vehicle commander.
* Swimming soldiers no longer drop inventory items.
* Swimming players cannot use Gear dialog.
* New scripting function "GetPlayerId unit" available to help server admins better recognize teamKillers etc.
* Fillrate optimization in Video Options is now defined via combo box.
* Improved light count optimization (should help performance when many distant lights are present).
* Low-frequency effect (subwoofer) improved.

Scenarios
---------
* Added or fixed markers in pre-mission briefings in various scenarios.
* "Eye for Eye" singleplayer scenario: Hostiles balanced and loadouts of playable units fixed.
* "Counterattack" singleplayer scenario: Flow fix, player's group now properly advance from the harbour if strong enough to continue.
* "Trial by Fire" script error fixed.
* Campaign: Time flow screen added to scenario intros.
* Campaign: "Murder" mission ends are now triggered also when firing from a vehicle.
* Campaign: Multiplayer info for all campaign scenarios added.
* Campaign: Scene-specific sound entities are deleted after end of a scene.
* "First to Fight" campaign scenario:
* Shooting range bug fixed.
* Officer's speech has titles added.
* "First to Fight" campaign scenario: O'Hara animation speed fixed.
* "Into the Storm" campaign scenario: Conditions of interaction with civilians improved.
* "Razor Two" campaign scenario:
* Mission-failed end now performs correctly.
* Razor members cannot use UAV during conversations.
* "One Week Later" campaign interlude: Conversation more logical.
* "Manhattan" campaign scenario:
* Animations of ambient people improved.
* Task waypoint for main task positioned better.
* Insurgent animations after death disabled in scene.
* Civilian woman stuck near transport prevented.
* Reinforcements navigation fixed.
* "Bitter Chill" campaign scenario:
* Conversations and broken mission flow fixed.
* Accidental death of Cpt. Shaftoe after a scene prevented.
* Improved positions of several killed unit.
* Radio chatter disabled where disturbing.
* "Badlands" campaign scenario:
* Ending and conversation flow fixes.
* Scene of talking to locals improved.
* "Dogs of War" campaign scenario:
* Insurgent leader presence now logical.
* Several story-related vehicles are now properly usable.
* Initial conversation work in multiplayer.
* "War That Never Was" campaign outro: Amount of units decreased, behaviour improved.
* AI grouping prevented in team deathmatch and deathmatch scenarios.
* Module for limiting area of operation script fixes.
* Recomposed fortifications and minor fixes in Warfare.
* First-aid module performance improvements.
* Language and gameplay fixes in multiplayer and singleplayer templates.

Art/Environment
---------------
* Changed lighting values for early morning and dusk.
* Improved wheeled vehicles turning definitions.
* Utes: Improved carrier deck collision shape and F-35B geometry.
* Gas stations on map can now refuel nearby vehicles.
* Minor object fixes on Chernarus map (traffic signs tweaks, small objects).
* Added small signs to Chernarus map.
* Less frequent occurence of thunderbolts.

Walshicus

Okay guys, I want to play this but I don't want to spend money upgrading to do so. I'm willing to run with low graphics settings as long as I get at least 1024x768 out of it.

Did a "Can You Run It" on Crysis Warhead and came back with this:
runitarma2.PNG

Nikorasu said:
Is this for all regional versions?
yes. for all versions. if you have the german version and want english language just do this http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1318237&postcount=92 all languages are in the xml files

the performance is really improved in the latest patch.

Sir Fragula said:
Okay guys, I want to play this but I don't want to spend money upgrading to do so. I'm willing to run with low graphics settings as long as I get at least 1024x768 out of it. Did a "Can You Run It" on Crysis Warhead and came back with this:
runitarma2.PNG
should be able to run it fine on lowered settings I think.

Proc

PC is looking to have a great summer with this, Sims 3, Dawn of Discovery, Monkey Island, SF4, Call of Juarez 2, Overlord 2, Red Faction 2, and some other games I'm forgetting. Damn fine summer indeed.

Walshicus

Joseph Merrick said:
should be able to run it fine on lowered settings I think.

Holy fuck, just borrowed a friend's copy to be doubly sure and it runs okay on the highest setting at 1360x768!

Zenith

Banned
ARMA2USMC.jpg

1a52d4ff4010t.jpg

Here are pics of every single weapon, unit and entity.

http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/

The dog parachutes are due to the new AttachTo script in the game. This means you can attach chutes to vehicles and drop them from a Hercules, attach soldiers to outside of APCs and choppers so they sit and shoot out with their rifles, attaqch mounted weapons to Toyotas to make technicals, etc. I'll be getting this Monday probably and give a full report.

It's annoying that Arma1 mods are fully compatible with Arma2. No one's making new shaders for the units so they stick out like a sore thumb.

Cryptozoologist said:
Someone should make an adventure game or open-world RPG with this engine.

They did with mods. Arma1 has a full Zombie RPG. You earn money by killing zombies and ferrying survivors to military bases and then buy weapons and vehics with the money.

Proc said:
PC is looking to have a great summer with this, Sims 3, Dawn of Discovery, Monkey Island, SF4, Call of Juarez 2, Overlord 2, Red Faction 2, and some other games I'm forgetting. Damn fine summer indeed.
hearts of iron 3, east india company, death to spies moment of truth, xiii century blood of europe. majesty2, tropico 3, divinity 2, orb and the oracle, two worlds the temptation, dawn of magic 2, planet alcatraz (dungeon cleaners) and star wolves 2 civil war expansion should be soon aswell.

No doubt it's the same for other shooters, but it seems that lowering graphicsl settings gives you an advantage. Opponents seem to pop out more than when graphics are set to high.

Sir Fragula said:
Okay guys, I want to play this but I don't want to spend money upgrading to do so. I'm willing to run with low graphics settings as long as I get at least 1024x768 out of it.

Did a "Can You Run It" on Crysis Warhead and came back with this:
runitarma2.PNG

OCing that processor and adding two gigs of RAM would work wonders. Should still play decent anyway I'd imagine, the 8800GTS is still an aright card its just the CPU speed that has me concerned but the X2 3800 is a great clocker so get to it.

Edit: Crap, didn't read your other post, my advice still stands though, $20 spent on some TAM and a couple hours OCing could work wonders.

Walshicus

brain_stew said:
OCing that processor and adding two gigs of RAM would work wonders. Should still play decent anyway I'd imagine, the 8800GTS is still an aright card its just the CPU speed that has me concerned but the X2 3800 is a great clocker so get to it.

Edit: Crap, didn't read your other post, my advice still stands though, $20 spent on some TAM and a couple hours OCing could work wonders.
I'm thinking about putting down for an extra 1gb soon anyway - have been modding EU:Rome a lot, and one of the images involved is about 8000x8000 pixels. I've plonked the mobo up to 10% overclock and nothing has blown up yet...

Sir Fragula said:
I'm thinking about putting down for an extra 1gb soon anyway - have been modding EU:Rome a lot, and one of the images involved is about 8000x8000 pixels. I've plonked the mobo up to 10% overclock and nothing has blown up yet...

You'll lose dual channel support if you don't use matched pairs, so adding a single 1GB stick doesn't make much sense really, especially considering pricing, heck 2x2GB can be had for less than $40, seems the best root:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227269

Even if you're on 32 bit XP you'll still get between 3.25 and 3.5GB of usable RAM anyway.

www.overclock.net is a good place to help you get the most out of your processor.

Hitmeneer

Must resist.... soooo tempted to pick this one up :eek: . The YouTube video's look so good.

Ow wait, it is still locked for 1 week :') :((. And it seems most shops still haven't got it in stock (the Netherlands).

Top Bottom