• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

Mr. Snrub said:
Seriously, something seems fishy about that benchmark. They say the game is only playable at 1280x1024 on their monster system with normal/low details? Everything else speaks contrary to this, its just a bunch of fear mongering. From the Arma2 forums:

So stoked for this game.

The benchamarks seem to fit perfectly with them, the fillrate 200% means that 1280x1024 was actually rendering at a higher a higher resolution and a 50% reduction in draw distance and shadows are always going to cause a huge leap in performance.

The game has settings to scale to future hardware just like Crysis did, this is not a bad thing. Sure it could do with some optimisation but when a game lets you run riot with the settings its not surprising that you can bring it to a crawl on any system you want.

brain_stew said:
The benchamarks seem to fit perfectly with them, the fillrate 200% means that 1280x1024 was actually rendering at a higher a higher resolution and a 50% reduction in draw distance and shadows are always going to cause a huge leap in performance.

The game has settings to scale to future hardware just like Crysis did, this is not a bad thing. Sure it could do with some optimisation but when a game lets you run riot with the settings its not surprising that you can bring it to a crawl on any system you want.

Well yeah, the benchmarks fit what the used, but no one is going to play the game like that and that setup shouldn't be used for testing purposes, especially given their conclusion, which is just going to scare people off.

Mr. Snrub said:
Soldiers-comparison_OFP-ARMA-ARMA2.jpg

I wasn't aware that Rob Bowen from Area5 was in Operation Flashpoint.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
200% fillrate means the game is rendering at twice the resolution, so yea bumping that up really kills performance. And I checked again in the editor, with everything on Very High (cept shadows on normal and post-processing on high) I got an average of 23FPS with around 20 tanks, and 30 infantry fighting each other.

Mr. Snrub said:
Well yeah, the benchmarks fit what the used, but no one is going to play the game like that and that setup shouldn't be used for testing purposes, especially given their conclusion, which is just going to scare people off.

Oh it absolutely should. When testing between GPUs, you want to make sure you're as GPU bottlenecked as possible, which means using the highest possible settings. Fair point on the conclusion but it doesn't make those tests any less useful or worthwile, people just have have to learn how to interpret shit like that before acting upon it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dina said:
This game looks soooo sick!
Crossing fingers that my PC can run it... it would be like the first PC game i buy in the last 2 or 3 years!
Last PC Game i installed was a borrowed Oblivion.

So hum... this is like the biggest 'warfare' game ever made isnt ?

Fersis said:
This game looks soooo sick!
Crossing fingers that my PC can run it... it would be like the first PC game i buy in the last 2 or 3 years!
Last PC Game i installed was a borrowed Oblivion.

So hum... this is like the biggest 'warfare' game ever made isnt ?

What are your specs exactly?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
brain_stew said:
What are your specs exactly?
mhmhmhm if i remember correctly.
Core Duo 2GHZ
2 GB RAM
geForce 8600

I use it for :GAF,coding and GAF. :lol

brain_stew said:
Oh it absolutely should. When testing between GPUs, you want to make sure you're as GPU bottlenecked as possible, which means using the highest possible settings. Fair point on the conclusion but it doesn't make those tests any less useful or worthwile, people just have have to learn how to interpret shit like that before acting upon it.

It just doesn't seem genuine, considering the fill rate effectively acts as a multiplier. Why not just do the tests with fill rate at 100% and use those as a baseline, and then say that once you increased the fill rate, then THIS happens. It's just ridiculous to see them using those settings for ridiculous conclusions like these:

Armed Assault 2: Technical Problems
During our tests we had to face several problems: Although there weren't big errors like crashes or memory leaks, we nevertheless were annoyed by the omnipresent clipping bugs and the absurd collision detection. But even more important is the low performance: Even on overclcoked highest-end hardware (Core i7; 12 GiByte RAM and a GTX 285 with 2 GiByte VRAM) ArmA 2 becomes a slide show (less than 15 fps) running at 1,280 x 1,024 pixels with very high details. You have to go to low or medium details and have to activate Pixel Doubling (which is ugly) to get playable framerates.

Armed Assault 2: Conclusion
ArmA 2 looks great in most parts, but the impressive graphics can't be run on any system at the moment - the performance is a disaster. To get the framerate to an acceptable level you have to lower the visual quality because of what the graphical experience suffers.

Zenith

Banned
Confidence Man said:
But why are they colored red and green? Looks like Star Wars or something.

because that's what both sides use in real life.

200% fillrate means the game is rendering at twice the resolution, so yea bumping that up really kills performance. And I checked again in the editor, with everything on Very High (cept shadows on normal and post-processing on high) I got an average of 23FPS with around 20 tanks, and 30 infantry fighting each other.

fillrate is also AA, and without it the game looks terrible.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
That was awesome, but what exactly is up at the end there? He seems to shake his head at whatever that robot looking thing is. Weather effects were gorgeous though, lighting strikes and everything.

I thought it was ET lol

SuperEnemyCrab said:
That was awesome, but what exactly is up at the end there? He seems to shake his head at whatever that robot looking thing is. Weather effects were gorgeous though, lighting strikes and everything.

It's a vtol aircraft called the Osprey doing some wierd stuff.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sweet, I just got a review copy of the U.S. release and will be playing the F'ing S out of ArmA 2 tonight.

I'll post impressions, screenshots, and benchmarks then.

That morning glory youtube video was crazy.

Fersis

chespace said:
Sweet, I just got a review copy of the U.S. release and will be playing the F'ing S out of ArmA 2 tonight.

I'll post impressions, screenshots, and benchmarks then.
That morning glory youtube video was crazy.
Please do!

dorkimoe

I tried to play arma this year, but obviously it was such a bitch to get working on 64bit vista with 8 gigs :(

And people had so many mods and shit going on it was to hard

So I hope to get going by launch this year, so i can keep up with everything

chespace

Also, not sure where folks fall in this range, but here are my system specs:

Q9550 OC'ed to 3.8
8GB DDR2
Radeon 4870X2
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Dina

chespace said:

Q9550 OC'ed to 3.8
8GB DDR2
Radeon 4870X2

Pretty much the best you can get atm. Should be more then fine.

chespace

Dina said:
Pretty much the best you can get atm. Should be more then fine.

From what I hear, ArmA2 is very CPU intensive, so I think having a Core i7 could really boost your performance. Hope my little Q9550 hangs tough.

madmook

chespace said:

Q9550 OC'ed to 3.8
8GB DDR2
Radeon 4870X2
I'm nowhere near that range, but still looking forward to any overall game impressions including opinions on how well it runs for you and whatnot. ;_;

chespace said:
From what I hear, ArmA2 is very CPU intensive, so I think having a Core i7 could really boost your performance. Hope my little Q9550 hangs tough.

Yeah, reports from the ArmA 2 forums are saying your bottleneck is gonna be your CPU, not your GPU.

I've got a Phenom II X4 920 w/ 4gb of RAM so i think I am good on the CPU side of things but my video card is a 1gb 4870.

Can't wait to see some benchmarks from che.

Odyssey

Banned
Despite how a lot of these youtube videos look really cool with how dynamic things are, I never actually see anyone killing anything but themselves.

Fersis

Ok so my PC cant run it. Ok ;____;

Zeliard

Odyssey said:
Despite how a lot of these youtube videos look really cool with how dynamic things are, I never actually see anyone killing anything but themselves.

Coming across an actual enemy is fairly rare in the game, especially compared to your typical shooter. Most of your time is spent either hunting specific targets down or stealthly avoiding random enemy patrols to complete other, more important objectives. Any attempt at solo Rambo-style play tends to get you killed quickly along with your teammates, even on normal difficulty (there are two above it).

There being so few enemies makes it even more critical to pay attention to what's going around you when you're traversing the environment, though. The quietness and solitude can lull you into a false sense of comfort, and before you know it you're squirming on the ground wounded. They don't hesitate in finishing you off quickly, either, so having a corpsman nearby doesn't guarantee anything.

Darklord

Banned
chespace said:

*hugs i7*

Now I just have to wait for the demo...Ah hell, I'm probably going to have it ordered in the next few hours if it isn't up.

Fersis

Mr. Snrub said:
You probably can...it will just be pretty low settings/quality. Don't give up!
Im not a graphic 'easy chick' so im cool if i have to play it on low quality.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Overclock that bitch till it runs or blows up. :D
:lol
It made me laugh.

shuri

Banned
I'm basically planning to build a new rig just for this game. It's going to be used on my projector screen too.

I'm really interested in how the game play with a x360 controller. How is the control? You guys said it actually has a built in profile for it?

Fersis

shuri said:
I'm basically planning to build a new rig just for this game. It's going to be used on my projector screen too.

I'm really interested in how the game play with a x360 controller. How is the control? You guys said it actually has a built in profile for it?
I think it uses several keys so maybe its too complex to use a controller.
Tough i dont know much about the subject since i never played PC Games with controller

shuri

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, reports from the ArmA 2 forums are saying your bottleneck is gonna be your CPU, not your GPU.
It's something I noticed too while doing test overclocks and Arma1 on my rig this weekend.. I can't wait for the demo.

Darklord

Banned
I really want to order this today but after reading about the shocking performance issues I might hold off for a few patches. :(

Edit: Which makes me wonder how those 1500 AI and air battles are possible??

Shawsie64

Banned
Darklord said:
I really want to order this today but after reading about the shocking performance issues I might hold off for a few patches. :(

Edit: Which makes me wonder how those 1500 AI and air battles are possible??

First iv heard of performance issues, maybe if you insist on running it at 1900 x 1200 everything up ultra high yeah, but from youtube videos and the specs that they were taken on most PC's seem to run it fine.

Im buying it and iv only got a E6850, 4gb ram and a 4870.

Walshicus

Updating my assessment on the performance my 3800+ Athlon with 8800GTS 2Gb gave; not so good. It was fine for the Armory by airfields or open grassland, but get some towns or AI in there and it slugged.

So I got a dirt cheap Phenom 8400 triple core with 2Gb at 800Mhz rather than the 400Mhz it used to be, and the game's certainly a lot better now. Still getting issues with towns and large groups of soldiers, but I think I just have to accept that the high framerate in the countryside doesn't translate.

Does the game actually use all cores? What is it that makes it CPU bound?

Darklord said:
Are you talking about the old pcgameshardware.com thing? Ignore it. It's from beta or something, maybe the review code.

BeeDog

Just got my copy today, installing now wooo.

Has anyone heard if Steam will accept retail CD keys any time soon?

Top Bottom