• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official February 2008 NPD Results - "Last Gen" > "Next Gen" - Industry Gone Wild.

Mojovonio

Banned
GottiDC said:
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,
i remeber when they said blu ray would be the down fall of ps3, and blu ray would fail,,,,,,,the media FAILED.

I remeber when they said ps3 would never outsell the 360, THE MEDIA FAILED
I remember when they said the ps3 would never outsell the wii in japan, THE MEDIA FAILED

I remember when they said hddvd was the superio farmat, and would kill blu ray........they FAILED AGAIN. RIP HDDVD 2006-2008
I remember when they said no ps3 game would ever sell on par wit the same 360 version game...THE MEDIA FAILED.

I remember when they said the ps3 would not help blu ray, nor would blu ray help the ps3....THE MEDIA FAILED.

more failers coming.....mgs4 will not help ps3, killzone will flop, ect.

lets see how mush more 360 fans and the "media will fail again, as the year goes on. :lol:lol

:I

you're fuckin annoying.

Shamrock

Banned
Wow thats some pretty amazing numbers. I'm willing to bet we see some even bigger numbers when MS releases the Jasper systems and does their price cut in NA. People will be all over those 65nm GPU's. They went ape shit over falcon board revisions, wait for the real deal.

Narag said:
I'd actually wondered if publishers purposefully pick certain release dates for lesser titles to chart in the top 10 in consecutive months due to the above.
I doubt publishers give a shit about monthly charts. they might care about quarterly, but for the most part, monthly doesn't mean a whole lot.

Brashnir

mr_bishiuk said:
LO debuted at a similar amount as uncharted but uncharted came out in the holiday period, considering the type of game its done very well. Normally these type of games make their money in Japan though and sadly in Lo's case this aint going to happen. Overall though it will do a million+ in sales imo whether that means they break even or not I dont know

Uncharted was at 117k its first month. Not sure if that still qualifies as "similar." Both games have the benefit of being first party titles, so the platform-holders-as-publishers get a larger piece of the revenue pie. Both games will end up in the black when all is said and done.

Again, for those too lazy to read my initial post :lol

Industry Software Sales

$667.8M an increase of 47% over last years then record $454M. That's over $200M in additional software sales. These are numbers that are higher than ANY NON-November/December in the history of the industry. AND THIS IS FEBRARY. Imagine what next month with Super Smash Bros and April with GTA 4!! Recession??? Not here

Industry Hardware Sales

$481M, an increase of 20% over last years then record of $402M. Again, this is beyond historic. These are the highest HW Sales in the history of the industry outside of November and December (with the exception of September 2007 - Halo 3 month).

It's unbelievable and worthy of great discussion. This industry is just firing in every possible way and all most folks see is Wii >>>>> PS3 > 360.

quest

Not Banned from OT
J-Rzez said:
Has to be very alarming to MS with these trends. There's no way they'll pull that "shortage" card again and expect people to believe it. They were in stock everywhere around me including Philly, Allentown, WB, which is telling. Price cut incoming...

Sony's really doing well here. Good PSP numbers, great PS3 numbers, and outstanding PS2 numbers. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out come MGS, SOCOM, KZ, GT5P time. And WOW at the DMC4 sales being sooo close in NA where the userbase is heavily slanted. It'll be fair to say, it probably sold more on the PS3 than 360 worldwide more likely than not, and we'll see what Capcom's going to do after taking notice to these numbers of a large franchise.

Ninty's just ninty. Glad they're seemingly expanding the market.

How can it be horrible numbers for MS and great for sony when it was a 25k gap. There is no real price difference anymore 349 vs 399.

sonycowboy said:
Top 5 worst NPD arguments

1) Wii Play is not a game
2) Tie ratio is not linear with installed base
3) Based on top 10 SW sales...
4) It only had 5 days of sales. It's going to do MUCH better next month.
5) Playstation Family sold ...

I still actually like number 3.
But let me edit:
"Strictly by the top 10 and FFoW 360 owners were busy buying over 1,200,000 pieces of software in Feb.":D
I'll be back to edit again.

GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,
i remeber when they said blu ray would be the down fall of ps3, and blu ray would fail,,,,,,,the media FAILED.

I remember when they said the ps3 would never outsell the wii in japan, THE MEDIA FAILED

I remember when they said hddvd was the superio farmat, and would kill blu ray........they FAILED AGAIN. RIP HDDVD 2006-2008
I remember when they said no ps3 game would ever sell on par wit the same 360 version game...THE MEDIA FAILED.

I remember when they said the ps3 would not help blu ray, nor would blu ray help the ps3....THE MEDIA FAILED.

lets see how mush more 360 fans and the "media will fail again, as the year goes on. :lol:lol

Those keys must be literally smoking.

kenta

Has no PEINS
sonycowboy said:

Industry Software Sales

$667.8M an increase of 47% over last years then record $454M. That's over $200M in additional software sales. These are numbers that are higher than ANY NON-November/December in the history of the industry. AND THIS IS FEBRARY. Imagine what next month with Super Smash Bros and April with GTA 4!! Recession??? Not here

Industry Hardware Sales

$481M, an increase of 20% over last years then record of $402M. Again, this is beyond historic. These are the highest HW Sales in the history of the industry outside of November and December (with the exception of September 2007 - Halo 3 month).

It's unbelievable and worthy of great discussion. This industry is just firing in every possible way and all most folks see is Wii >>>>> PS3 > 360.
When you say it like that it makes me half-expect to hear a story on NPR about this stuff, that would be neat

FrankT

Man look at all that 360 software unreal. Proud of where LO came out with in the first month. Decent numbers on the HW front and of course Wii and DS still the kings.

Jirotrom

GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

im not really a backseat modder but damn... I would itch to ban you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
GottiDC said:

So Sony rules because it's outsold the Wii fewer than 5 weeks out of the 70 they've been on sale, has a lifetime record of fewer than half of the Wii's hardware sales, has had precipitous installment-over-installment declines in most major franchises, and is tracking behind the Gamecube in terms of launch-aligned sales?

erm, okay.

The rest of your points at least make sense because they're sort of true, although I dispute that some of those were ever consensus analyst positions, but this one is loopy off the deep end.

markom58

Neo Member
sonycowboy said:
Top 10 SW
Top-Selling VG Software - February 2008
RELEASE TOTAL U.S. RANK
TITLE PUBLISHER DATE UNITS

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6
360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7
360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9
360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

And the legend of the 360 software beast continues :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

RTR1D051.jpg

Brashnir

sonycowboy said:

Industry Software Sales

Industry Hardware Sales

very impressive numbers overall, but as has been proven time and time again, most of GAF doesn't care about the industry, they only care about the console wars.

AniHawk

sonycowboy said:

Industry Software Sales

Industry Hardware Sales

That's fucking insane. This doesn't happen in February. October? Maybe. If this is a sign of things to come for the entire year... I don't know how to finish that sentence.

ccbfan

Great Hardware for Nintendo
Great software for MS
And a little in between for both for Sony.

Also LO did wonderfully. I mean how many JRPGs sold this much in NA in its first month thats not named Final Fantasy. Especially one a so called "bald marine FPS" machine.

Don't know people get so ansy about Wii Play. Think of it as making up for not counting Wii Sports.

I gotta say this gen is so weird. Wii is obviously going to win hardware but its just so strange that while Wii wows in hardware, the 360 wows in software. Usually its one system wowing both.

Usually people want to own the best selling system since it tends to receive the most high profile games. IMO thats the only reason to even care about hardware sales. Thats why Wii hardware sales don't interest me at all since its doesn't seem to be attracting any major 3rd party announcements. Its seems to be all bullcrap shovel ware. I'm more interested in software sales for the system especially 3rd party ones. GH3 is a good sign though. Too bad DQS bombed so bad.

GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

I remember when they said the PS3 would dominate and people would get second jobs in order to afford one and would outsell Xbox in six months and crush Wii outright... Just sayin'.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

Something failed in this post, and it wasn't the media. :lol

AppleMIX

GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

29qi1c3.gif

Frillen

sonycowboy said:

Industry Software Sales

Industry Hardware Sales

So gaming wins?

xaosslug said:
hand-in-hand, PS3 and PS2 continue to skip merrily along... :lol
Selling to two entirely different markets.

It's still the ultrahardcore buying the PS3, it's just more of them have started buying as of late, and the PS2 is selling to the ultracasual those people that have been waiting for a price drop to $99, and gave Target no doubt a huge month.

The 360 needs to be cheaper then it currently is. And the Wii by the looks of it won't be hurt by anything the other two do.

It's rapidly approaching the 360 LTD and hasn't missed a beat.

frAntic_Frog said:
eh, i believe the opposite will happen. as the ps3 hype/marketing train gets rolling faster and faster leading up to mgs/gta4 and killzone/resistance in the fall, i think ps3 hardware and software sales will close the gap considerably with respect to 360 numbers. it probably wont be every month or every multiplatform game, but i think thats the general trend from this point on

I think you're underestimating the namesake of Gears for the fall.

jett

D-Member
Those DS sales really are insane, it's fucking february. And just WTF is driving those numbers...

PS3 is looking pretty healthy, PS2 = CONSOLE OF FOREVER. Also, nice initial DMC4 numbers, I hope the game has some legs.

beerbelly

Banned
GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

You must have suffered all those years. You poor thing.

gtj1092

GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

Wow!! I take you are a fan of Sony

kenta

Has no PEINS
Captain Smoker said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/6i7lz6.png[IMG]

[url]http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15958/February-2008-NPD-Microsofts-Response/[/url][/QUOTE]I love how they beat their chests whenever they can, they're not the only ones guilty of it but I'd really like to see these companies refer to their own sales without trash-talking

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:

Industry Software Sales

Industry Hardware Sales

Yup. I actually think the PS2 is the story this month. It's doing better than last year! (Both in February alone and Feb-Jan combined.) Incredible that Sony has another price drop in their pocket for it, but with sales of 350k in February they have no reason to pull the trigger yet. It's going to be a viable new hardware platform all the rest of this year.

Shepherd said:
I love how the Sony fans ignore the software numbers. :lol :lol

What software other than DMC4 was released for PS3? Do you really expect PS3 hardware to chart in the top 10 When the Wii and and 360 have much larger installed bases in the US?

WarLox

sonycowboy said:

Top 10 SW
Top-Selling VG Software - February 2008
RELEASE TOTAL U.S. RANK
TITLE PUBLISHER DATE UNITS

360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE* ACTIVISION 7-Nov 296.2K 1
360 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 295.2K 2
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7-Feb 289.7K 3
PS3 DEVIL MAY CRY 4* CAPCOM USA 8-Feb 233.5K 4
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 222.9K 5
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES SEGA OF AMERICA 8-Jan 205.6K 6
360 LOST ODYSSEY MICROSOFT 8-Feb 203.6K 7
360 TUROK TOUCHSTONE 8-Jan 197.7K 8
PS2 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK* ACTIVISION 7-Oct 183.8K 9
360 ROCK BAND* MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS 7-Nov 161.8K 10

hahah... so I thought 360 only had a "flavor of the month" and no game had any legs... 1 PS3 game in the top 10... 1 Wii game in the top ten... 5 360 games... STELLER !

AniHawk

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. I actually think the PS2 is the story this month. It's doing better than last year! (Both in February alone and Feb-Jan combined.) Incredible that Sony has another price drop in their pocket for it, but with sales of 350k in February they have no reason to pull the trigger yet. It's going to be a viable new hardware platform all the rest of this year.

Considering the PSX was fading in year 8 (2003), seeing the PS2 this healthy is remarkable. Could the PS2 last 15 years if Sony lets it?

Shamrock

Banned
Captain Smoker said:
Lifetime Ecosystem Performance (US NPD Data):

* To date, $9.0 billion have been spent on Xbox 360 in the U.S, which is more than the competition’s retail dollars combined. This is nearly $6 billion more than consumers have spent on PS3 and approximately $4.5 billion more than Wii.
* Third party publishers make 60 percent of their revenue at retail on the Xbox 360 platform this generation.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15958/February-2008-NPD-Microsofts-Response/

Man thats amazing. I don't know why it always gets overlooked, but the 360 is honestly killing both the Wii and PS3 in the total package. Absolutely destroying both of them. If you would have told me the 360 would earn more retail dollars than Ps3 and Wii combined 3 years ago I would of thought you were crazy.

GhaleonEB said:
I think Targets $99 offer sold a whole hell of a lot of them.

March I doubt will be anywhere near as high. Sony will then drop the price to $99 not long after.

Das-J

Law of the West
sonycowboy said:

This really can't be understated... our industry is BOOMING right now! :D

beerbelly

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
What software other than DMC4 was released for PS3? Do you really expect PS3 hardware to chart in the top 10 When the Wii and and 360 have much larger installed bases in the US?

But I thought most of the 360 sales were for replacements. So technically 360's user base to PS3's is only 1.01:1

GottiDC said:
SONY RUUULLLESSSS,

200802NPD2.jpg

Come back when the Red and Green lines cross.

Jammy

Banned
WarLox said:
hahah... so I thought 360 only had a "flavor of the month" and no game had any legs... 1 PS3 game in the top 10... 1 Wii game in the top ten... 5 360 games... STELLER !

Hey bub, there's two Wii games there, and the system comes with a game.

360 Call of Duty Version 2:1 PS3 Version [see teamxbox article]

296.200 : 148.100

==> PS3 Call of Duty 4 sold ~ 148.100 in February, LTD is ~ 1.254.100 till end of February 08. :)

Top Bottom