• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official GTA Haters Club thread

pilonv1

Also today - Nintendo fanboy convention.

playerz.jpg

There's a fair bit of GTA hating going on, so in the best interests of everyone and in the spirit of the Official Fable Troll Thread, could all GTA haters please list their names here so that everyone enjoying this awesome game can ignore your trolling and constant complaining about the frame rate/controls/morality/whatever.

I bought GTAIII and GTA:VC on their respective launch days and managed about a combined 10 hours with both. I just don't "get" GTA, the way a lot of people are fundamentally unable to deal with the structure of Japanese RPGs. A large part of it, I think, is my absolute lack of a sense of direction: playing a GTA game is like a getting-lost simulator.

GTA:SA sounds awesome, but then the first two sounded awesome, too. I'll probably try it eventually, but for now, I'm sitting it out.

AeroGod

JackFrost2012 said:
I bought GTAIII and GTA:VC on their respective launch days and managed about a combined 10 hours with both. I just don't "get" GTA, the way a lot of people are fundamentally unable to deal with the structure of Japanese RPGs. A large part of it, I think, is my absolute lack of a sense of direction: playing a GTA game is like a getting-lost simulator.

GTA:SA sounds awesome, but then the first two sounded awesome, too. I'll probably try it eventually, but for now, I'm sitting it out.

If you got lost in GTA3 and VC and it troubled you dont even attempt San Andreas. The city is 5 times bigger and more intricate. Tons of back alley ways and highly elevated areas. Its off the wall.

AeroGod said:
If you got lost in GTA3 and VC and it troubled you dont even attempt San Andreas. The city is 5 times bigger and more intricate. Tons of back alley ways and highly elevated areas. Its off the wall.

I frequently get lost in my own neighborhood. Like, the one where I live. A fictional city environment is just asking for trouble.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
JackFrost2012 said:
I frequently get lost in my own neighborhood. Like, the one where I live. A fictional city environment is just asking for trouble.

I wasn't allowed to attend any of the GTA:SA supervised previews because they knew I'd just ride my virtual BMX around the virtual block for two hours, then come back with nothing to say about the game other than OHMYGOD THEY GOT THE SOUND OF YOUR TIRES ON TARMAC RIGHT.

I'm a fairly positive person, so its more contempt than 'hate', but I'm staying fairly grounded with my expectations.

The PlayStation 2 hardware impacts and limits everything that the game can achieve. I don't expect much more than what GTA3 or VC had to offer simply because of the hardware limitations.

It can't be a persistant world, the environments are crude, the combat can't be that good, graphics and framerate are limited... even next generation I don't think we'll see the full realisation of the concept.

The game will require some imagination to fill in the blanks. For those open minded about the game, there will be a lot to love. For casual gamers who don't expect much, the game will be exciting. But I know the game is going to dissapoint loads of people just because it CAN'T be anything other than more of the same.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
woohoo.. thanks for this thread.. now we just need a halo 2 thread as well...

the deal with me is I just never cared... I LOVED GTA1 and 2... but really loved them because of multiplayer.. my friends and I would play GTA for HOURS just whipping each other out of cars and running each other over with the school bus or Bulldog (gotta love the bulldog).

Then GTA3 came out.. Hey, it was the same thing only in 3D.. except for the multiplayer.. well, let's face it.. GTA is SHALLOW to say the least.. I mean it wears itself out by the fifth mission, the story isn't really strong, and without multiplayer there is very little incentive to keep going.

The GTA:VC comes out, and it is worth playing for a while just to hear some of the more eclectic 80's tunes, but again more of the same ol.. and now SA... I mean seriously, how many times can people do this..

anyway, thanks for the thread, see you in the official Halo 2 hate thread.

AeroGod

borghe said:
but again more of the same ol.. and now SA... I mean seriously, how many times can people do this..

SA is plenty different. The storyline and acting are pretty damn good, the detail to the world has been improved, tons of new gameplay elements. If something works then there is nothing wrong with improving it and doing it again if people like it. If you dont like GTA, thats fine. Its not for everyone. But plenty of people do like, as was evident when i was s tanding in a 60 person line last night at 6pm. Its a really fun game for people who just like to explore and have freedom, as opposed ot the restrictive narrow paths most games have.

Also, GTA:SA has multiplayer, and its pretty fun.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
When is the PC version due? '05 I know, but what quarter? At least we'll get a performance boost.

AeroGod said:
SA is plenty different. The storyline and acting are pretty damn good, the detail to the world has been improved, tons of new gameplay elements. If something works then there is nothing wrong with improving it and doing it again if people like it. If you dont like GTA, thats fine. Its not for everyone. But plenty of people do like, as was evident when i was s tanding in a 60 person line last night at 6pm. Its a really fun game for people who just like to explore and have freedom, as opposed ot the restrictive narrow paths most games have.

Also, GTA:SA has multiplayer, and its pretty fun.

THIS IS A HATE THREAD, YOUR POSITIVE FEEDBACK IS NOT WELCOME HERE.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:
When is the PC version due? '05 I know, but what quarter? At least we'll get a performance boost.

I was gonna wait for the PC version myself...but I'm weak. :(

AeroGod

TeTr1C said:
It does?! What do you do?

Its pretty restrictive. you cant do story missions but you and a friend can get otgether and unleash hell on city if you want. My bro and me both jumped on a motorcycle together and i drove around the city while he was on the back with a uzi gunning down gang members.

Havnt really looked that deep into multiplayer, there are a few rampages and mini-games you can do. Lots of city left to see with many hidden things, maybe something else is out there.

borghe

you have made a very inconvincing argument... as it stands, GTA:SA still sucks.

now if you can't hate properly I demand you leave this thread. :D

human5892

Queen of Denmark
In writing, the GTA games always sound like so much fun to me, but then when I actually get to play them, I wreak havok for a few hours and then I'm spent. The missions aren't much fun, either.

Maybe this one will be different...

Mr Gump

Banned
The on foot controls in the gta games are total shit. Total and utter shit. Unless SA totally revamps them so the game feels ALOT more natural to control and character movements are much improved them im not even gonna bother with this.

dark10x said:
I was gonna wait for the PC version myself...but I'm weak. :(
No, you're fucking smart and you have respect for a non-spoiled experience.

You can discover all the cool shit with the rest of us this week. By time the PC version hits you'll know everything about it already.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
In writing, the GTA games always sound like so much fun to me, but then when I actually get to play them, I wreak havok for a few hours and then I'm spent. The missions aren't much fun, either.

Same here.

Mr Gump said:
The on foot controls in the gta games are total shit. Total and utter shit. Unless SA totally revamps them so the game feels ALOT more natural to control and character movements are much improved them im not even gonna bother with this.

THAT'S MORE LIKE IT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. A+.

Mr Gump said:
You can control it like an FPS is you want to, sans strafing, and the lock on and manual aim have been combined into the same system.

borghe

PhatSaqs said:
Showing giddyness to hate on a videogame should be a bannable offense.
you're right.. we should just love all games or not be allowed to talk about the ones we don't like.. :\

gee.. think about how little talk about nintendo would be allowed on this board if that were true..

dark10x

borghe said:
you're right.. we should just love all games or not be allowed to talk about the ones we don't like.. :\

gee.. think about how little talk about nintendo would be allowed on this board if that were true..

Are you a Nintendo fan? I gotta know...

borghe

regardless of what kind of a fan I am, you have to admit that if hating on stuff became a bannable offense, like 40% of this board would be banned for hating on Nintendo (and like 25% for hating on xbox).

Mrbob

Damn! How did a GTA hate thread escape me?

San Andreas ain't bad, but it's still GTA 3.75.

Character controls are STILL SLUGGISH. And aiming isn't still all that great. Cmon Rockstar. And what happened to the world? It's freaking barren.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I don't hate it, but they tell me on IRC that I do so I guess I can post here.

My copy is waiting at home for me on my desk. Can't wait to bust a cap in people on my BMX. ;p I'll probably just do that for 6 hours.

Mrbob

And another one bites the dust amd falls for the hype.... :p

Just kidding. Despite my complaints, San Andreas is already more fun than Vice City. And the world is huge man. Oh my god the map is so big.

IJoel

I am getting GTA: SA this week, hopefully with the TRU deal. I've never been a fan of the GTA series mainly because of the awful controls/camera. If they fixed this issue for SA, I'm sure I'll enjoy quite a bit.

I played GTA2 way back whenever. Never actually managed to do anything besides drive around and run over people and shoot them. Tried to do a mission or two I think but never managed that.

GTA3 comes and I basically ignore it. Turns out it's the second coming eh? So I play a bit on friend's copy. Don't think I ever did anything but enter the cheat codes and blast away. Fun stuff, but got old really fast. Friend did basically the same thing cept he occasionally mentioned that there were some sort of missions in the game.

That said, I think I'd really like VC for the atmosphere and have been meaning to pick it up on Xbox.

dark10x

borghe said:
regardless of what kind of a fan I am, you have to admit that if hating on stuff became a bannable offense, like 40% of this board would be banned for hating on Nintendo (and like 25% for hating on xbox).

It has nothing to do with banning or the point you presented above. I just want to know whether you are a hardcore Nintendo fan or not...for future reference.

Mrbob

IJoel said:
I am getting GTA: SA this week, hopefully with the TRU deal. I've never been a fan of the GTA series mainly because of the awful controls/camera. If they fixed this issue for SA, I'm sure I'll enjoy quite a bit.

They really didn't for the most part.

borghe

dark10x said:
It has nothing to do with banning or the point you presented above. I just want to know whether you are a hardcore Nintendo fan or not...for future reference.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
we keep a file...

lol...

you can put me in your file as rooting for the underdog....

IJoel

Mrbob said:
They really didn't for the most part.

Ugh...

I might not get this then. I don't get why reviews just completely overlook this issue. I mean, I understand it deserves a high score, but these near perfect scores seem over the top when such a key issue remains.

I admit to being occasionally inconvenienced but completely tolerant of GTAIII's on-foot controls. They never ruined the game for me.

In SA, the addition of the free camera (a-la-Splinter Cell) is certain to help many people maintain their bearings.

I'll add that I put a good 7+ hours into the game last night and spent hardly any of that in a car. I have no control ocmplaints at this time.

Ramirez

I don't hate the game,I will buy it eventually,but I don't understand why its so popular.The actual gameplay is flawed and gets old after a while.

"OMG I beat up a grandma with a baseball bat" w00t!

Like I said I'll buy it,but I still don't think it should be receiving 9.9's if its anything like the past 2,the controls are sloppy and the gameplay gets repetitive,but whatever floats your boat.

Mrbob

It's a solid 8.0 game.

9.9 way too high.

But I don't know how you can't have complaints about the on foot control. You can adjust to it, like you can adjust to the controls of Metroid Prime, but there are still problems with the inherit control scheme. It isn't so much that the controls are bad in SA as much as they still feel sluggish.

Mrbob

Yeah.

Frame rate issues do have me wishing I would have waited for the PC version. Is isn't TOO BAD though. Does it get worse the further in the game you get? I'll mess around for another 2 weeks with the game, see how it goes. Otherwise it's trade in bait towards Halo 2 while I wait for the PC version.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
THE MAIN CHARACTER IS BLACK!!! THIS IS WRONG!!! WRONG I SAY!!!!!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What the fuck is up with targeting? I'm holding the target button, press back to step back, since the fucker is running at me, and I turn around?
Does this even begin to make sense?

RevenantKioku said:
What the fuck is up with targeting? I'm holding the target button, press back to step back, since the fucker is running at me, and I turn around?
Does this even begin to make sense?
Stand your ground. Only a busta would step back.

Top Bottom