• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Zoe

titiklabingapat said:
it will be somewhat difficult to market thing to women and passerby gamers since it seems a bit too complex(without the aid of a mouse) to really grasp what you're supposed to do with it other than it looks cute.

LBP's motto is Play, Create, Share. Sony only has to target the Play portion of the game to those people.

And thanks for the women comment!

I'll leave you with a picture:

rlypza.jpg

Zoe said:
LBP's motto is Play, Create, Share. Sony only has to target the Play portion of the game to those people.

rlypza.jpg
Still no mouse, making the initial plunge a bit too intimidating for non-gamers(especially women) to truly fuel the hopeful renaissance.

Concept17

Zoe said:

rlypza.jpg

Is it sad that this pictures makes me angry due to the fact that a bunch of kids got to play it before me?

jimbo said:
:lol This is where GAF vs real world collide. A lot of hardcore gamers still don't understand most people don't know/care about E3 and announcements like FFXIII, and those that WOULD care still don't buy consoles based on game announcements.

This is very true. Another reason why E3 really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The conferences have little influence.

gantz85

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Still no mouse, making the initial plunge a bit too intimidating for non-gamers(especially women) to truly fuel the hopeful renaissance.

I think this is true, but think about this -- 140 million PS2s were sold using the same control scheme. If LBP can tap into that market, then it doesn't need to rely on non-gamers to sell a huge bunch; simply relying on previous Playstation owners is enough to fuel a renaissance!

I'll agree with you that if it had very simple Wii-like controls it would have an extra dimension of appeal, but as of right now the PS3 isn't anything like that.

NolbertoS said:
Xbox fanboys are still in shock or denial that PS3 has actually beaten them in HW Sales. Initially I never bothered to enter these silly fanboy wars, but now, I'm honestly detesting the Xbox fanboys more and more. Luckily I never entered the NPD thread during last gen, as I'm sure it was full of Nintendo diehards defending the GC like crazy and now the tables have turned.

No, they're merely in the Media Create thread celebrating the victory of 360 sales over PS3 this week :D The regulars are all there, including one who champions 360 having won over "large chunks" of the 2ch crowd. May or may not be true, but 360 truly deserved its success and PS3 its continual dismal performance in Japan.

kay

A certain poster has over 30 posts in this thread defending a certain company. Certainly...

Good sc numbers for 5 days.

Ptaaty

The only thing that suprises me is that people are suprised at the results.

Two things bring people into buying a console. Price and games.....games usually take some time to put in an impact and is usually more about a number of continuous releases than one big hit (the latter is a one month bump)

Otherwise most already would have had the system. Why would anyone buy a system for the same price and just wait? Games. If no major games or releases are there or one's that are are multiplat, why would they go up?

What I am getting at is the $50 price drop is small potatoes, basically non ad other than individual retailers, short time frame, tagged with fire sale/60GB and bigger price drop rumors. Couple that with nothing big and exclusive coming out.

A $199 Core and Gears 2? It isn't a contest.

The PS3 right now is just far more attractive. It is a better hardware value, BD is at least reached an awareness point. $400 price point coincides with the knee in the graph. MGS4 was THE reason to buy a PS3 at this point.

No need for people to get pissed. This is just getting good! MS sat on the price point WAY too long. They could because they had a big lead and Sony came in so high on $$. Now that has shifted and they have to counter. Good for us! First party games Viva Pinata and Banjo for $40 on preorder sites, $199 core rumors. All good. Sony will start to see a shift and ....bam, another drop, incentives, features, etc.

I just hope Sony comes up to Live standards, includes headsets and pushed Live to free. Competition is good.

Zoe

Concept17 said:
Is it sad that this pictures makes me angry due to the fact that a bunch of kids got to play it before me?

The event will be going on until the end of August. You still have time to hop on a plane to Japan :p

NolbertoS said:
Xbox fanboys are still in shock or denial that PS3 has actually beaten them in HW Sales. Initially I never bothered to enter these silly fanboy wars, but now, I'm honestly detesting the Xbox fanboys more and more. Luckily I never entered the NPD thread during last gen, as I'm sure it was full of Nintendo diehards defending the GC like crazy and now the tables have turned.
Xbox 360 Sales vs. PS3 Sales (November & December 2007) = +786K
PS3 Sales vs. Xbox 360 Sales (2008) = +287K

Look for a similar trend later this year.

When did that price cut come into effect to shift the 20g sku? the drop off on mgs4 is pretty huge. Ms are still second install base wise in na by some margin and ps3 outselling it by 20k units a month isnt going to cut that lead anytime soon. Going to be interesting this fall with both line ups looking great and the new 360 dash and netflix etc which im sure they are going to pimp alot to casuals.

gantz85

Banned
Concept17 said:
This is very true. Another reason why E3 really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The conferences have little influence.

This isn't true though. Conferences still matter -- alot. Especially to the core gamer audience who, though a small number, have a disproportionately large spending power. E3 is one other matter though; its power over the audience has diminished greatly over the years.. but conferences and meetings remains a key way to disseminate news and build momentum.

Eyeballs are maximised during conferences and some of these eyeballs belong to industry insiders and press media workers, who in turn disseminate the message through their own medium like magazines, podcasts and websites. These conferences bear a "ripple" effect that is not easily discernable or measurable, but is real anyways. Acquiring strong mindshare of the core gamer audience AND the core gamer press is critical; hence the free gifts and bundles (e.g. Halo 3) and such..

Conferences don't matter that much to Nintendo. They have transcended the core gamer industry.

Banned
gantz85 said:
On the other hand, saying that PS3's YTD lead of ~400,000 is "negligible" is a joke -- against the LTD sales it might be, but against YTD sales it constitutes about a 25% lead over 360. Whatever the confluence of factors, sales are beginning to pick up. Even when you argue that the 360 has almost double the PS3 LTD installed base, the software sales for NCAA and SCIV are split 60-40 towards the 360. That is pretty impressive.

The difference is 293,000 not 400,000.

edit: Not bad considering PS3 had it`s big gun MGS4 released.

jrricky

Banned
Avrum said:
Venture Brothers? Ha. Have you seen Tropic Thunder? :p
Besides the movie being the best comedy of the year for me, they were pimping the hell out of the Wii. I think i heard a line with the PS3 in it also.:lol

And damn, is MGS4 the first high profile game to drop out of the top ten like that?

yawn at everything else.

gantz85

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:

How about you give us the digits for X360 vs PS3 last year from January - July 2007?

The momentum switched sides.

Concept17

gantz85 said:
This isn't true though. Conferences still matter -- alot. Especially to the core gamer audience who, though a small number, have a disproportionately large spending power. E3 is one other matter though; its power over the audience has diminished greatly over the years.. but conferences and meetings remains a key way to disseminate news and build momentum.

Eyeballs are maximised during conferences and some of these eyeballs belong to industry insiders and press media workers, who in turn disseminate the message through their own medium like magazines, podcasts and websites. These conferences bear a "ripple" effect that is not easily discernable or measurable, but is real anyways. Acquiring strong mindshare of the core gamer audience AND the core gamer press is critical; hence the free gifts and bundles (e.g. Halo 3) and such..

Conferences don't matter that much to Nintendo. They have transcended the core gamer industry.

Agreed. As I had mentioned, in "the grand scheme of things" E3 is not as big a factor as many people think. People aren't gonna see an exclusive pop up and cause a ~20-50k bump in NPD sales. But you're right, it does create mindshare and allows the press to spread the love.

On the other hand, I think if companies continued doing more of the "Surprise! Its out THIS week!" like Sony did with the movie service, then it could have some affect.

It gives people more to look forward to, as nothing is instant and its all "in the next year or two."

jimbo

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:

Listen to this man.

I will be very surprized if by the end of the year the 360 doesn't wipe away all the PS3 managed to do so far for the year and then some. In all honesty this was actually Sony's time to gain some singificant ground on the 360 in NA, and 20k a month just doesn't quite cut it when you are talking about a 5 million console lead. Even at 100k a month lead, it would need roughly 4 years to catch it.

gantz85

Banned
Karma said:
The difference is 293,000 not 400,000.

edit: Not bad considering PS3 had it`s big gun MGS4 released.

You're right, the lead that PS3 has over 360 this year is about 20% and not 25%.

I see you added your edit and the spin.. :D:D I'm glad you got your panties up in a bunch. Spin on, you crazy little diamond :D

Banned
gantz85 said:
You're right, the lead that PS3 has over 360 this year is about 20% and not 25%.

I see you added your edit and the spin.. :D:D I'm glad you got your panties up in a bunch. Spin on, you crazy little diamond :D

Panties in a bunch? What does that even mean? Anyway, I was just correcting your numbers.

titiklabingapat said:
LBP will not change the tide of anything. It might sell humongous, but I highly doubt it has any quality to say it will change the tide.

It's way too restricted to really take advantage of the usercreated stuff because it doesn't use the mouse, and it will be somewhat difficult to market thing to women and passerby gamers since it seems a bit too complex(without the aid of a mouse) to really grasp what you're supposed to do with it other than it looks cute.

I'm sure it will be a hit to the Sony faithful and your typical GAf poster though.
The most significant hurdle that will keep LBP from reaching out to new demographics is the high price of the PS3.

gantz85

Banned
jimbo said:
Listen to this man.

I will be very surprized if by the end of the year the 360 doesn't wipe away all the PS3 managed to do so far for the year and then some. In all honesty this was actually Sony's time to gain some singificant ground on the 360 in NA, and 20k a month just doesn't quite cut it when you are talking about a 5 million console lead. Even at 100k a month lead, it would need roughly 4 years to catch it.

Microsoft had a 1-year early entry lead, which is where that 5 million comes from.

For all the selecting spin and championing of 360's price cut, Sony's PS3 is still priced significantly higher -- AND SELLING BETTER, than the 360. If you're talking about the pent-up demand that will see plenty of 360 sales in lower price ranges, what about the pent-up demand that'll see PS3 sales in lower price ranges? :D

I for one am suprised to see a $399-cheapest console sell this well; particularly when it's the $499 that seems to sell the best :D

Speevy

Banned
jimbo said:
Listen to this man.

5 million doesn't cut it, nor does 35-40 million lifetime. None of these numbers or deficits are significant or earth-shaking in the grand scheme of things.

These consoles are inching closer to one another in sales. Sony takes two regions, MS takes one, maybe Sony takes all three. It doesn't matter. Too close. It'll be closer than GC/Xbox before it's all over with.

gantz85 said:
How about you give us the digits for X360 vs PS3 last year from January - July 2007?

The momentum switched sides.
A momentum shift of 300K units over the course of 7 months that doesn't even compare with the market share PS3 lost over November and December last Christmas.

A momentum shift of 300K that will be equally decimated in November and December of 2008.

What you have to understand is that this industry has always been heavily weighted around the holidays (for anyone that isn't named Nintendo) and Microsoft builds their Xbox business around substantial hardware gains during the pivotal holiday months when disposable income is at its highest. They make their market share push then while keeping the Xbox platform viable over the remainder of the year with quality third-party titles while cleaning up on LIVE subscriptions.

These little monthly pissing contests mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Until Sony shows a year-over-year sales increase over the Xbox 360 in the NPD, there is no momentum shift in North America.

Bringing up sales data from early 2007 would have actually been disingenuous to Sony because the PS3 had no games apart from Resistance during that timeframe.

gantz85

Banned
Speevy said:
5 million doesn't cut it, nor does 35-40 million lifetime. None of these numbers or deficits are significant or earth-shaking in the grand scheme of things.

These consoles are inching closer to one another in sales. Sony takes two regions, MS takes one, maybe Sony takes all three. It doesn't matter. Too close. It'll be closer than GC/Xbox before it's all over with.

Eh, no. Nintendo takes all three regions, Sony takes queen position.

gantz85 said:
That 4 million+ lead was built by that one-year early entry into the market :lol

If you match the timescales it is probably the case that PS3 first 18 months > 360 first 18 months (US).

1st 18 months 360: 5,427,000
1st 18 months PS3: 4,301,000

The difference is 1,126,000

gantz85 said:
What started out as 360 trampling the PS3 has now become a thread with the fanboys going NO MAN NO MAN : ((( IS NOT DEAD YET NO MAN :(((

Of course, 360 isn't dead, and will not die, and will do VERY well this end-year with Gears of War 2 being released. That game will sell like hotcakes and easy hit 3-4 million in 2008.

On the other hand, saying that PS3's YTD lead of ~400,000 is "negligible" is a joke -- against the LTD sales it might be, but against YTD sales it constitutes about a 25% lead over 360. Whatever the confluence of factors, sales are beginning to pick up. Even when you argue that the 360 has almost double the PS3 LTD installed base, the software sales for NCAA and SCIV are split 60-40 towards the 360. That is pretty impressive.

Before I go on, I must say that the Nintendo fans don't even need to step into the NPD thread anymore :lol :lol :lol

the 1 year lead for the ps3 is 287k

the LTD lead is 5,589,000

at the current rate it itll take the ps3 11 years and 1 month to outsell the 360 if the system continues to sell at the same rate in comparison to the PS3.

All the numbers are from NPD you can check them for yourself if you want.

jrricky

Banned
CreatureX3 said:
fortune_wii.jpg

I remember how so many were angry at Fortune when they ran this story last year!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159995

:lol :lol
I remember this.......

Damn, the banhammer was put down on the first post. :lol

Lets dig some of these babies up:

MattXG said:
Jump the gun much?
:lol
Image will be fun to post when Wii sales implode next year though...
Smiles and Cries said:
bookmarked? :lol
He shoots, he scores

Striker

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Bringing up sales data from early 2007 would have actually been disingenuous to Sony because the PS3 had no games apart from Resistance during that timeframe.
OK. So why is it valid to determine everything now? The Xbox 360 doesn't have any top tier games out at the moment. PS3 just dropped their biggest name yet.

Wait until Gears 2 hits and the 360 will top the PS3 sales, again.

gantz85

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:
A momentum shift of 300K units over the course of 7 months that doesn't even compare with the market share PS3 lost over November and December last Christmas.

A momentum shift of 300K that will be equally decimated in November and December of 2008.

What you have to understand is that this industry has always been heavily weighted around the holidays (for anyone that isn't named Nintendo) and Microsoft builds their Xbox business around substantial hardware gains during the pivotal holiday months when disposable income is at its highest. They make their market share push then while keeping the Xbox platform viable over the remainder of the year with quality third-party titles while cleaning up on LIVE subscriptions.

These little monthly pissing contests mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. Until Sony shows a year-over-year sales increase over the Xbox 360 in the NPD, there is no momentum shift in North America.

Let me try and explain this to you, since you have such a hard time understanding.. I do understand the importance of September-December for the core gaming industry. That isn't the problem.

(1) 2007 Sept-Dec performance reflected the early 2007 performance where 360 consistently outsold PS3.

(2) 2008's trend is PS3 outselling 360, but not by much.

(3) This means that 2008's Sept-Dec promises to be different from 2007's Sept-Dec.

(4) If you say comparing early 2007 was ingenuous because PS3 had no games, by 2007 end-year PS3 only had Warhawk, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted, all of which weren't any mega-sellers if taken against Halo 3 or Gears of War.

Another problem you have a hard time understanding is that while mopping up Sept-Dec is crucial, it does't mean the rest of the year is completely useless. There's still PLENTY of sales to be made, and a 300K lead is a 300K lead. It's still a 20% lead that PS3 has over 360. Whatever excess sales the 360 wants to make against the PS3 will have to go against that 300K, of which your mentioned 780K last year is about 2.5 times of. That 300K is already looking significant when you look at these numbers this way.

Like I said earlier, I think the 360 lineup is stronger in terms of IP dominance; Gears of War 2 will OWN. But whether it means the PS3 will lose out in terms of sales this end year is a different matter.

Nafai1123

Banned
B-Rad Lascelle said:

How can you assume that the 360 will outperform the PS3 during the holiday season? If anything, I would assume that the small lead the PS3 has month-to-month will only widen as the numbers get larger. Neither console is lacking exclusive titles this holiday season, so it's not really comparable to last year. It will be interesting to say the least...

gantz85

Banned
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
1st 18 months 360: 5,427,000
1st 18 months PS3: 4,301,000

The difference is 1,126,000

Interesting figures, I was wrong then :) 360 did good.

the 1 year lead for the ps3 is 287k

the LTD lead is 5,589,000

at the current rate it itll take the ps3 11 years and 1 month to outsell the 360 if the system continues to sell at the same rate in comparison to the PS3.

All the numbers are from NPD you can check them for yourself if you want.

At the current rate, PS3 is priced at least US$100 higher than the 360.. you can check the stores for yourself if you want. I'm really NOT concerned about the PS3 outselling the 360 in the US though.. simply watching Sony turn their ship around is absolutely entertaining.. now I want to watch if they burn in flames because of Home, CELL, Blu-ray and Japan :D

Zoe

This will be Blu-Ray's first holiday without a competitor. That alone has the potential to make a huge difference compared to last year.

gantz85 said:

At the current rate, PS3 is priced at least US$100 higher than the 360.. you can check the stores for yourself if you want. I'm really NOT concerned about the PS3 outselling the 360 in the US though.. simply watching Sony turn their ship around is absolutely entertaining.. now I want to watch if they burn in flames because of Home, CELL, Blu-ray and Japan :D

Your post that i quoted sure did make it seem like you cared.

Also didnt 267k of the sales occur when the ps3 was 50 bucks more expensive than its main competition( Sku wise). wait for the rumored real price drop to see if their will be a shift in momentum.

Gaborn

gantz85 said:

What does Japan have to do with an NPD thread? I'm not even going to get into this not being a forum devoted to movies but rather games...

gantz85

Banned
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
Your post that i quoted sure did make it seem like you cared.

Also didnt 267k of the sales occur when the ps3 was 50 bucks more expensive than its main competition( Sku wise). wait for the rumored real price drop to see if their will be a shift in momentum.

:lol Don't cry too much about it, fanboy.

So now you're pulling the Wait Till ___ X ____ for the 360? :lol :lol Great, great. Things have really changed.

gantz85 said:

So now you're pulling the Wait Till ___ X ____ for the 360? :lol :lol Great, great. Things have really changed.

What did i say that was fanboyish? if anything werent you the one making outlandish fanboy comments that i proved wrong?

your right wait till sept 7 i wont continue to push the date for which ever game fanboys believe would change things like i saw a lot of last year.

Grecco said:
This is probably true, a couple of weeks ago they name dropped the Wii on Venture Brothers of all places. :lol

Tropic Thunder had matthew maconahay or however u spell out his name, playing wii--- the wii number can only get bigger at this point. It was a big wii shout out in such a big movie.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Why are people buying MGS4? Haven't you people ever read a half decent book? Buy HSG and Uncharted you fucking douches! You can support horrible writing and average gameplay any day of the week.

Raw64life

nib95 said:
Anyone have MGS4 numbers for July yet? With and without bundles?

AniHawk said:
I'm guessing MGS4 sold at least another 100k for the month. It's a pretty monstrous dropoff, but it's expected considering the fanbase hasn't had much to be excited for in a while.

Too bad Disgaea 3 and Valkyria are gonna bomb.

Amused_To_Death said:
Actually you were spot on Ani :D

Amused is a longtime NPD insider who posted a ton of numbers in these threads back in the day when they were still street legal. If he says 100K is spot on you should believe him.

Neo C.

I've never seen such a short NPD thread. Things change, I guess.

Does the 360 need a price drop? I'm not sure how much a drop could help the console, but it looks like Microsoft can't do as much as some people suggest.

GAF: "Time to drop the price and lose billion of dollar, Microsoft! When can we finally see the 360 with mass market price?"

Microsoft: "bubububu...but our stockholders!" :(

Banned
gantz85 said:

The 360 has a lead of 5,598,828 in the US right now. It had a lead of 4,319,528 last July. Things have not changed very much. The PS3 will need to start winning by much more than 20,000 a month to have a chance at passing the 360.

Slurmer

Banned
Raw64life said:
Amused is a longtime NPD insider who posted a ton of numbers in these threads back in the day when they were still street legal. If he says 100K is spot on you should believe him.

so 100k not including bundles I presume?? would that make it around 140-150k w/ bundles?

Slavik81

Karma said:
The 360 has a lead of 5,598,828 in the US right now. It had a lead of 4,319,528 last July. Things have not changed very much. The PS3 will need to start winning by much more than 20,000 a month to have a chance at passing the 360.
A shift in momentum is more important than an absolute shift in install bases. Particularly given how close the global bases are.

Image, image, image. So important.
The 360 would be in so much better shape right now if they had anticipated their problems and had actually done something last year. Instead they let it languish at sub-200k levels for months on end.

Top Bottom