• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 11 League: Starbucks Edition

Sanjuro

iriYX.jpg

Similar to last year, we are going to try and get things started for opening week. Shooting for a April 4th start. Based upon schedules ideally we will have a set night/nights during the week where we can get our games in all together. I'm going to take the blunt of the League GM, hopefully there are ways of better implementing additional GMs to create a better flow for the season.

In traditional Sony fashion they seemed to remove features, this is the official MLB11 site (without boxscores currently). http://www.theshownation.com/

So far I'm going to try and keep the number of teams down this year. Most of the veterans should be back here no problem, if you are a new player/member looking to score a team then I'm looking for you to play at least three games with a veteran member before the start of the season and record the box score in some manner.

We still have a few weeks to tinker with the game and find out the optimal settings. The one thing I do imagine is sticking to the traditional controls from the previous seasons.

Rules from last season. *Will be edited going forward.*

- We're going to play on HoF difficulty, strike zone, guess pitching, and hot/cold zone off. You can always look at a batters report (hot/cold) by hitting Select when he's at the plate.

- No excessive stealing, no early stealing, if you're up in the 8th by multiple runs don't try to swap a bag.

- Do not quick pitch your opponent, give him some time in the box.

- Trading is allowed, all trades must be approved by a commissioner.

- Don't peg a star player because he's working you over at the plate or pitching a gem, injuries are a factor.

- No pitchers going on 3 days rest until the final weeks of the season. Stamina does play a role this season.

DCX

DCX
pistolpete2940 said:
Id just like to formally announce that I will be using the Yankees this year. I've paid my dues...
Have at it. I hope you get a full season out of it.

DCX

Macattk15

I'm game.

Reppin' the lowly Mariners.

I've never played before cause someone has usually claimed the Mariners ... and I refuse to play anyone else.

eznark

Banned
I'd like to add another rule, if you are going to walk away for twenty minutes without explanation in th middle of a game, don't be surprised when I accept the forfeit an don't bitch.

As usual if LJ11 doesn't take the Mets, I'll take them. And LOL if you think you'll start April 4th, last year we didn't start until mid-April. Takes time for a good Slider set and OS Knights Full Minors Roster to be released...

Now of course we could do a shorter 1st league before the 2nd, that'd work... I'll see what Commish LJ11 says.

Last year MLB 10: Tourney thread.

Last year's MLB 10 OFFICIAL Online League Thread

also don't worry enzark, I'll make sure not to give you the opportunity to think you even have a chance. No not playing the game for a month for me!

Sanjuro

Oh, lay off the smarm Frankman. COMMISH™ LJ simply was giving less of a fuck as the days progressed. The seasons take too damn long to put up with nonsense consistently including disputes and games not being played.

I don't even know what OS Knights is and the slider tweaking is largely a longer wait for not much of anything. I've yet to play a slider set where I have sat down and said to myself "Wow. This is a whole new ballgame."

By April 4th we will have something in place to start going. There is no grand prize for winning the NeoGAF league. There is no need to stretch it out for pride for an entire month or two when we have willing potential players ready to bust out a healthy season. Those players will either be up for more or have run their course with the game. Previous seasons people just ran their course and bailed out mid-season leaving us with terrible last minute replacements for terrible teams.

eznark

Banned
I'm down to start a league whenever we have enough to get one going. Be nice if we could get through more than one fucking season.

LJ11

Definitely down, been busy the last couple of weeks, I'll choose a team soon. Go ahead and take the Mets Frank.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Oh, lay off the smarm Frankman. COMMISH™ LJ simply was giving less of a fuck as the days progressed. The seasons take too damn long to put up with nonsense consistently including disputes and games not being played.

I don't even know what OS Knights is and the slider tweaking is largely a longer wait for not much of anything. I've yet to play a slider set where I have sat down and said to myself "Wow. This is a whole new ballgame."

By April 4th we will have something in place to start going. There is no grand prize for winning the NeoGAF league. There is no need to stretch it out for pride for an entire month or two when we have willing potential players ready to bust out a healthy season. Those players will either be up for more or have run their course with the game. Previous seasons people just ran their course and bailed out mid-season leaving us with terrible last minute replacements for terrible teams.
What the hell are you talking about? LJ11 has been commish for the last 2-3 leagues and I assumed he was again unless I missed something. Stop being so paranoid, geez.

If you honestly think the slider sets do nothing, do me a favor and poll the people who've played the game the last few seasons online/default.

Also, I'm thinking the money factor may keep people from bailing out, might be interesting to discuss among MLB The Show-GAF. Because if you remember, we did MLB-GAF only to keep people from bailing and they still bailed.
I skipped last year, but should be down this year. Giants unless previous season dude has dibs.
Pretty sure no one had Giants last year.
Definitely down, been busy the last couple of weeks, I'll choose a team soon. Go ahead and take the Mets Frank.
Thanks
OH GOD I'M GOING TO BE SO BAD WTF METS BULLPEN?

Sanjuro

The Frankman said:
What the hell are you talking about? LJ11 has been commish for the last 2-3 leagues and I assumed he was again unless I missed something. Stop being so paranoid, geez.

If you honestly think the slider sets do nothing, do me a favor and poll the people who've played the game the last few seasons online/default.

Also, I'm thinking the money factor may keep people from bailing out, might be interesting to discuss among MLB The Show-GAF. Because if you remember, we did MLB-GAF only to keep people from bailing and they still bailed.
I'm not paranoid, I just told you to stop acting smarmy. Again, if you have a proper beef with me take it to the private messages. Stop shitting up the threads.

I've been playing the game since it has been released. The sliders are indeed something special to those with too much time on their hands. Maybe by season two there will be something interesting in place, but I'm not going to sit around with a new game on my hands waiting for some thirteen year old boys to move a bunch of levers.

Sanjuro

Corran Horn said:
I skipped last year, but should be down this year. Giants unless previous season dude has dibs.
I'm pretty sure you are the general manager of the Starbucks franchise.

eznark

Banned
I don't care about sliders, I don't care about winning, I just want to be able to play the damn game! Lets start a league next week as a benchmark. Blow through it quick and determine what (if anything) needs to be changed for the proper league that we will start at the end of the month.

Children.....

Sanjuro

eznark said:
I don't care about sliders, I don't care about winning, I just want to be able to play the damn game! Lets start a league next week as a benchmark. Blow through it quick and determine what (if anything) needs to be changed for the proper league that we will start at the end of the month.

Children.....
That has been my philosophy the last several years. I spent more time playing randoms and staring at my copy of the game than league play. Makes no sense to me.

I would be down to start a quick one right away. Then the second league should be around the time of Knights full minors. This guy does a great job with teams minor league rosters n fixing ratings n stuff.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
I would be down to start a quick one right away. Then the second league should be around the time of Knights full minors. This guy does a great job with teams minor league rosters n fixing ratings n stuff.
Sounds good to me, we did that last year.

turnbuckle

I'm down for a quick one or however many you guys decide to do. Gonna go with the Tigers.

eznark said:

Children.....

Sounds good to me.

turnbuckle

Patch 1.10 released

Below is the list of fixes for title update 1.01. We are still testing bugs and other issues that the community has reported for a second more comprehensive title update.

- "Jackson" available in last name audio database for created players

- Collision issues...ARZ and SF... fixed where the ball would roll into and out of the stadium

- Fixed the issue in Manage only Mode....you are locked out from moving your controller when accessing the pinch hit...defensive sub

- The double switch screen(after pinch hitting for the pitcher in the bullpen screen.....it works if you have your pitcher on the mound) also won't let you move the controller OR even hit X to keep your position player in the game.

- Fixed the bug where you couldn't practice swing if it was going to be a pitchouts..

- Fixed the stutter issue on the catcher throwback

- Fixed franchise bug where team records show 0's on initial team select screen

- Generated players in season modes now have a variety of generic stances, instead of one. Use subset of custom batting stances to randomly assign the generated players

- Fixed online post game lock, having to do with controller assignment when your opponent goes into the Quick Menu>Bullpen

Good-News3.jpg

I heard Knight is going to finalize the OS Full Minors Roster in a week or two. Awesome, maybe I will join the 1st league this year!

Sanjuro

What does the full minors roster mean? Is it something they are dedicating themselves to doing this year or they previously couldn't?

To my knowledge until a player plays a game in MLB, they aren't a part of the MLBPA and their likeness cannot be used.

SephriJ

Duane Cunningham said:
My name is Swillhound on PS3, and I'd like to play in the league as the Royals. I'm aware of the glutton for punishment I'll be.

Don't worry, we can punish each other, I am not very good either, but it's still fun to play.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
What does the full minors roster mean? Is it something they are dedicating themselves to doing this year or they previously couldn't?

To my knowledge until a player plays a game in MLB, they aren't a part of the MLBPA and their likeness cannot be used.
He edits the rosters, but does a great job with it. Its alot of work but they are very accurate. He did it last year too.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
He edits the rosters, but does a great job with it. Its alot of work but they are very accurate. He did it last year too.
Been doing it since MLB 08, I believe. Not to mention there are other edits usually included (batting stances, full gear edits, corrections) that are combined. Now that he actually has a 32+ man team it's been pumped out lightning quick. The only reason it's not out yet is that it's Spring Training (lol), and a few teams went unrepresented (Dodgers, Astros) so a bunch of people are chipping in from them. Rod_Carew29 and Aces01 are working on batting stance/pitch edits so they'll probably be combined in I'd think... All about dat realism!

Has the Definition of Realism Changed?

LJ11

Disappointed that Niese still doesn't have a cutter, still throws way too hard as well (should be topping out at 90-91).

Hopefully they patch up Manuel, some random white guy would suffice. Kind of lazy on their part, model or no model, just throw some white skin on the guy and call it a day.

http://www.operationsports.com/news...ely-remove-league-restrictions-on-march-28th/

The Show Nation -

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the online league restrictions that are currently in place so we'd like to take a moment to address some of the concerns that are out there. First, please understand that this was in no way done to frustrate our users. On the contrary, our goal is to ensure that all players get the optimal user experience. While we understand that the 14-day online league restriction may be new to some players, this was added back in 2008 and has been put in place to ensure that our servers meet our and your expectations before we open them up fully. That said, we're pleased to report that we will be removing online league restrictions on Monday, March 28...

Thank you for your understanding and support!
:D

eznark

Banned
Translation: we know we fucking suck at making online play work, so we hope that enough people get frustrated and quit within a few weeks which will enable us to unlock options that we use to sell the game. This year we accomplished that in record time! Thanks!

eznark said:
Translation: we know we fucking suck at making online play work, so we hope that enough people get frustrated and quit within a few weeks which will enable us to unlock options that we use to sell the game. This year we accomplished that in record time! Thanks!
You are so negative.

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
You are so negative.

Two straight weekends of being unable to send/receive challenges without a word from the developers will do that. Especially after three years of disappointment on the online front.

LJ11

turnbuckle said:
League still on schedule? Thread about as dead as the tigers playoffs chances

HAHAHA

I'm still in, I'll take the Reds.

Played about 7 games online, and almost no lag. Did have one disconnect, I was pitching a one hitter, my opponent a perfect game. Besides that game and a couple of hiccups everything's been smooth. Really surprised actually.

I keep trying to find a balance on All-Star, but the PCI's are so fucking big. Default on HoF is asking for Year Of Pitcher x 2 though, I'm trying to work on a tweak + gathering sim data from some OS posters.

SephriJ

I played a game earlier this morning online and was a bit annoyed. The first 5 innings had a lot of lag in them, neither I nor my opponent could hit anything we threw. After the 5th though it went smooth. I hope this isn't a reoccurring thing.

BTW, fuck All-Star level. Cheesing POS... i actually turned PCIs on during a exhibition game and instantly quit.

Hall Of Fame all the way!

turnbuckle

I wish you could use custom camera angles when playing online. I'm gonna be an easy W for you guys this year. I can't hit for shit on the league settings.

OS roster update actually slowed Verlander's fastball down more! >:[
94mph? Who do they think he is, Jamie Moyer?

SephriJ

turnbuckle said:
I wish you could use custom camera angles when playing online. I'm gonna be an easy W for you guys this year. I can't hit for shit on the league settings.

OS roster update actually slowed Verlander's fastball down more! >:[
94mph? Who do they think he is, Jamie Moyer?

Yeah, I was surprised I did pretty well against you. League rules do make it hard but still fun. Gave me a little hope that I actually may get a W on some games, still doubtful though.

So far working off other slider sets and checking my own games and simming this is what I have so far as a Potential Slider set for the League. Ignore the CPU stuff, I doubt we have and CPU teams so unless you use it in your Franchise they don't matter:

Human Contact - 5
Human Power - 5
Human Timing - 5
Human Foul Frequency - 5
Human Solid Hits - 2
Human Starter Stamina - 5
Human Reliever Stamina - 1
Human Pitcher Control - 5
Human Pitcher Consistency - 6

CPU Contact - 5
CPU Power - 5
CPU Timing - 5
CPU Foul Frequency - 5
CPU Solid Hits - 2
CPU Starter Stamina - 5
CPU Reliever Stamina - 1
CPU Pitcher Control - 5
CPU Pitcher Consistency - 6
CPU Strike Frequency - 2
CPU Manager Hook - 6
CPU Pickoffs - 4

Pitch Speed - 4 (pitches seem too fast... 93 feels like 97)
Fielding Errors - 7 (I hardly ever see actual fielding errors)
Throwing Errors - 6 (or 5, since the actual throwing error are on the player now)
Fielder Run Speed - 3 (bumped up from 2, seems doable this year)
Fielder Reaction - 5
Fielder Arm Strength - 3 (too many rocket arms on 5)
Baserunner Speed - 4
Baserunner Steal Ability - 4
Baserunner Steal Frequency - 6
Wind - 3 (wind WAY too much a factor on 5)
Injury Frequency - 3 (could lower it to 2 if needed)

Top Bottom