• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official NeoGAF Ventrilo Server

TheExodu5

Banned
Official NeoGAF Ventrilo Server

--------------------------------

Server Information

IP: neogaf.guildvent.net
Port: 8266
Password: believe
Location: Chicago, IL (this seemed like a good central location to choose)
User Count: 15 (will be upped if the server is used enough)

Starting today, yours truly will hosting a NeoGAF Ventrilo server.

What is Ventrilo? Ventrilo is a Voice Over IP application that allows many users to simultaneously talk to each other. Ventrilo is compatible with Windows and Macintosh.

Why use Ventrilo? Ventrilo is a great tool to easily communicate within a community. It's easy to hop on the server, see who else is on, and organize a play session with people. Alternatively, it's just a great place to hang-out and chat with your online buddies.

Why use Ventrilo over Skype? Ventrilo offers much more than Skype. Ventrilo is not CPU intensive whatsoever. It allows for better voice quality, and the ability to drop-in and drop-out easily (users can join the server without the need for an invite). Also, since Ventrilo works on a client-server level, as opposed to P2P, there is virtually no lag in a conversation, as is common with Skype. In Skype, if one user lags, all users lag...not so with Ventrilo.

Where can I get Ventrilo? You can download Ventrilo at http://www.ventrilo.com. Ventrilo is available for both Windows and Macintosh.

How do I use Ventrilo? Click the arrow beside User Name and add the username you wish to use on the server. Click the arrow beside Server Name and enter the server information above. Just click Connect and you'll connect to the server.

Anything else? You can customize your settings by clicking the Setup tab. You can either use a push-to-talk hotkey (by checking the box and pressing what key you want to use in the field), or have your voice transmit automatically once the volume reaches a certain threshold (customized by altering the sensitivity value). Use the "Test" button to see how you sound, so you can adjust your mic volume if need be. That's about it.

I encourage you to use this server. It's really a great way to communicate with each other, and will facilitate online gaming (especially PC gaming), as well as strengthen the community.

Note: if any mods desire admin access to the Ventrilo server (allowing you to kick/ban/create channels/etc...) just PM me, and I will grant you full access.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Niiiiice!

EDIT: which version?

Sanjay

I was trying to look for a Ventrilo server recently for TF2/COH but failed as I realized most were invites only so I just ended up using Skype. Very nice of you for doing this, I will definitely try using this if we ever get some GAF COH games organized.

TheExodu5

Banned
I want to go ahead and keep encouraging GAFers to use the Vent server! You're more than welcome to idle or invite your buddies along for a match up!

Top Bottom