• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PC/PS3 Unreal Tournament 3 Thread. GODLIKE

theBishop

Banned
Wait, are you guys saying they put only 2-player splitscreen in, and it doesn't work online?!

WTF is the point of that? 2-player deathmatch? :lol Playing through their gimpy coop bot campaign?

I'm glad Epic is refreshing the game, but that is a goofy decision.

Can anyone help me with installing mods? I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong;

1. Create folder structure on USB stick; PS3/SAVEDATA/BLUS30086-MODIMPORT/
2. Copy mod onto USB stick
3. Load up UT3, attempt to import mod only to get 'no data was found' error message.

I'm sure thats the correct file structure, but the game just doesn't want to recognise that the mods are there >.<

2real4tv

Bootaaay said:
Can anyone help me with installing mods? I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong;

1. Create folder structure on USB stick; PS3/SAVEDATA/BLUS30086-MODIMPORT/
2. Copy mod onto USB stick
3. Load up UT3, attempt to import mod only to get 'no data was found' error message.

I'm sure thats the correct file structure, but the game just doesn't want to recognise that the mods are there >.<

It suppose be easier now with the update I guess under community. Anyone no if they will have online splitscreen?

2real4tv said:
It suppose be easier now with the update I guess under community.

I tried sticking the file in the USB sticks root directory and it found it, which certainly makes the whole process much easier than it used to be - thanks for the heads up :)

theBishop

Banned
Does anyone else notice changes to the rendering engine? I was playing VCTF on Suspense, and the shader on the waterfalls looked different to me. Also, the game runs smoother in general. I no longer notice a lag when picking up items or whipping out the hoverboard.

Didn't get to play the Titan content yet, but the patch is already a huge improvement.

theBishop

Banned
-PXG- said:
More people need to start playing this game again.

I'm definitely playing for a little while anyway. Killzone2 MP didn't hook me the last 2 times I jumped in. UT3 w/ vehicles is as close to Halo MP as PS3 is likely to get. Especially with the autoshield mutator.

Kingpen

I looked for the titan patch about 5 times yesterday. I never got it....

How are PS3 owners getting it? Of course the playstationstore was all fubared yesterday as well...

-PXG-

Kingpen said:
I looked for the titan patch about 5 times yesterday. I never got it....

How are PS3 owners getting it? Of course the playstationstore was all fubared yesterday as well...

PS Store > Game Add-ons > Disc Games > Unreal Tournament 3 > Titan Pack

-PXG-

Bootaaay said:
I tried sticking the file in the USB sticks root directory and it found it, which certainly makes the whole process much easier than it used to be - thanks for the heads up :)

Yeah. Same happened to me. I tried doing it the old way, and I got the error message. I put the .JAM in the root of ym SD card and it loaded fine.

-PXG-

DM-Solar is amazing. They need to keep this up. They should have a weekly or monthly map pack of best community maps as well as characters models and mutators. This game is so awesome. The HAVE to keep it alive.

Oreoleo

Hm, I'm pretty sure I didn't know this thread existed :D

Anyway, since the topic in the online forum is basically dead: My Steam name is Oreoleo if someone is ever looking for someone else to play with on PC. I'm about on par with an 'adept' level bot fwiw. My love for the Unreal franchise has been reinvigorated by the Titan patch.

Spy

I'm disappointed that you can't do splitscreen via LAN or Internet. I bought three copies of this game yesterday because I was planning on playing some 3 vs 3 when I invite some friends over on Sunday. It's my fault that I didn't research this beforehand but you assume if there's splitscreen it's online too.

CENOBITE

So freaking sweet! I haven't played this game in awhile. Nice to see publishers keeping a game alive with all these goodies.

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=157000

Unreal Tournament 3: Titan Pack is a major expansion to the award-winning Unreal Tournament 3. The Titan Pack gives players a substantial amount of enhanced features and new content:

many original environments
new gametypes
the namesake Titan mutator
powerful deployables and weapons
new characters
and the Stealthbender vehicle

Major additions in the 2.0 patch-
- Major enhancements to Server Browser
- Visual and menu flow overhaul for improved useability of user interface.
- Significant AI improvements, especially in vehicle gametypes.
- Client-side demo recording support
- Improved networking performance.
- Midgame map, game type, and mutator voting support
- Award system using Steam Achievements
- Improved mod support

Bebpo

Banned
So I downloaded and installed the Titan Pack on PS3.

But when I load the game I don't have any of the new content outside what came in the 2.0 patch (split-screen/trophies). I don't have any of the new maps, the mutators, the characters, etc...

What am I doing wrong?

Bebpo

Banned
You would think with the release of the Titan Pack and the trophy update, PS3 owners would be playing UT3 this weekend.

...nobody is playing UT3 this weekend :( I think the added modes actually hurts the game right now because it spreads the small player set across many modes which spreads them too thin.

I like the new modes/maps though.

Just got the game, jumped into a few matches (insta gib) and I love it.

It's funny how I can have an instant connection with this game, whereas I felt nothing with SOCOM. /shrug

EDIT: and I tend to like tactical games. I'm a sucker for UT though. :D

iFootball

Yup, I bought it too today at Gamestop for 17.99 used... (yeah... economy is bad...) !! I'll jump in tonight... I loved the original game on my old PC

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
I wrote this review of UT3 Black about a week ago for my website. If you're on the fence about trying the game, consider my words.

Jon Rage Review: Unreal Tournament 3 Black

Unreal has returned with Unreal Tournament 3 Black, a bold re-release that adds more content than most multiplayer games provide at launch. Not only has Epic set a new standard for free downloadable content, they have restored faith in their PC fanbase, revived the online community, and put the game on sale for $11.99, a price you simply can’t beat.

UT3 Black features the debut of the long-awaited Patch 2.0 and the robust ‘Titan’ Pack, which introduces sixteen new maps, two fresh game modes, the Titan mutator, achievements, new characters, an improved user interface, faster network performance, and plenty of other significant changes. You will be surprised at just how fun the additional content really is. The new modes fit in perfectly with the UT3 gameplay and don’t feel tacked on or secondary to the standard gametypes. This update has improved the game in such a way that it feels like its being released all over again. Online play is much more polished and the improved netcode allows for larger and more intense games. Unreal Tournament has returned and it demands your attention.

Patch 2.0 has revamped UT3 considerably. Netcode and player visibility were the two biggest issues with the online experience post launch. Thankfully, both of these have been rectified. The netcode for online play is very smooth now, and though it may still be capped at 90 FPS, the experience as a whole is responsive and satisfying. Player visibility for FFA modes has been improved thanks to the addition of name plates which appear above the heads of your opponents. Some have complained that they are unnecessary and even obtrusive, but these indicators are probably one of the best additions in the expansion. The new menu and user interface is definitely an improvement and sports an appropriate black theme. Advanced video options have been expanded. You now have much more control of how your game looks and runs, without having to mess with console commands or ini files. Servers have a new map-voting feature for between games and the server browser has been somewhat improved as well. The new maps range from OK to instant classics like DM-DarkMatch, DM-Turbine, and CTF-LostCause. Some of the maps are disappointing, but overall the content is very high quality.

The star of the show is the new Betrayal mode, which melds the chaos and slaughter of instagib with the concept of temporary alliances that can be broken at any time. There can only be one winner in Betrayal, and you must kill or backstab anyone who gets in your way. Fragging a player nets you a certain amount of points determined by how well they’re doing in the match. This number is displayed above their head, so it’s best to aim for the player with the highest value. Alliances are formed randomly at the beginning of each match. You and you teammates will work together for a brief period of time, but eventually you will be forced to take up the sword. The instagib rifles have an alternate blue beam firing mode in Betrayal which is used to frag your teammate when the time is right. The first player to assassinate their partner is awarded all the points in the team’s score pot and will become a ‘rogue’ for the next thirty seconds. During this period of time, the team can gain retribution points by killing the rogue player. The system works very well. Backstabbing your allies immediately is a poor choice as they can rack up a large number of retribution points for killing you during the rogue phase. Betrayal is a great hybrid of Free For All and Team Deathmatch that has enough dark deeds, strategy, and opportunistic manslaughter to satisfy any malicious gamer out there. Most importantly, Betrayal makes instagib relevant again. It’s no longer just a mutator and has evolved into a bold new gametype of its own.

Greed is a new team-based mode that is very similar to Entropy from the Descent series. There are currently no maps designed specifically for the mode, but you can play it on any CTF or vCTF map. Gameplay focuses on collecting ‘Skulls’ a new dropped item that is obtained from dead players. Instead of gaining points from kills, you must score by collecting skulls and delivering them to the enemy’s conduit, located where the flag would normally be in CTF. Some maps work better than others, but there is plenty of fun to be had in Greed. Working together to deliver a large payload of skulls is fun and addictive. Collecting more and more dropped skulls will grant you the use of a damage amp, which will help you plow through the ranks of enemies on your way to the conduit.

Greed is one of many modes that can be used in conjunction with the new Titan mutator, which allows players to turn into powerful giants that can turn the tide of battle. As players rack up points throughout the match, they also increase their Titan meter, which when full allows players to transform into a powerful Titan or Behemoth (a larger and more powerful version of the Titan). Players who make the transformation gain additional health and shields. Titans are armed with homing rockets, a rapid fire shock rifle, and a powerful ground attack. The mutator works best with Warfare, adding a new element to the gameplay and serves as a good stalemate breaker. They may be a bit cheesy, but Titans ultimately add more spice than grief to the experience.

UT3 is not perfect. There are still a few maps that have performance issues, the user interface lacks the options of the previous games, some maps almost look like they’re from UT2004, the HUD is at times too large and unpolished, dynamic music is noxious, and Vehicle CTF feels weak compared to the other modes. Fortunately, the Titan update has fixed many bugs, improved the interface, and added a huge chunk of new content for the community to enjoy. There is still room for improvement, but overall UT3 Black is the best entry in the series since the original.

Perhaps the best thing about the Unreal Tournament 3 Black Re-release is that it made me realize just how good the core gameplay of UT3 was, even before all of the improvements. Deathmatch and CTF have always been favorites of mine, but I have grown to love Team Deathmatch and Warfare just as much. UT3 TDM is life-changing, perhaps even better than Call of Duty 4's. There, I said it. Working together to get frags has never been this fun in a UT product. Warfare may not be as polished as Onslaught, but the superior gameplay, stellar maps, and variety of objectives make for some great battles. I also realized that there was plenty of content in base UT3 that I had dismissed, that was actually quite good. Maps like DM-Defiance and WAR-Market District are just a blast to play. The Titan Pack and Patch 2.0 only served to refine a great game that was already there. 2009 is the new 1999. UT3 will be pitted against Quake Live, much like the legendary UT Vs. Quake 3 war of a decade ago. I am confident that 2009 will be an excellent year for the Deathmatch FPS, and that both games will prove that the PC is still very much the king of the genre.

Unreal Tournament 3 Black is without a doubt, one of the best multiplayer shooters this generation. Epic has packed so much sublime carnage into one product its ridiculous. The current market is filled with so many toned down, content-lite, and limited shooters, that a game like UT3 black is truly refreshing. For sixty maps, eight game modes, and dramatic fragging at $11.99, there is absolutely no excuse not to own this game.

The Pros:
-Betrayal and Greed are worthy additions to the UT experience
-Improved netcode, user interface, and server browser
-Name plates enhance FFA visibility
-New menu looks awesome and is more functional
-UT3 Black is possibly the most complete multiplayer FPS of this generation

The Cons:
-There are still performance problems with some of the maps
-The user interface could use some more work
-Some of the new maps don’t live up to series standards
-Vehicle CTF is mediocre compared to the other modes

JayDub

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if Im playing a server full of bots or players? Better yet, if we could tell who is a bot and who is a player? In other games, I do this by checking the player list and seeing the player's ping. If its more than 0 then its not a bot. Anyway to do this on UT3? Seems like if a server says it has 13 players, it could be either bots or real people...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Small minor bump, but I figured I'd ask here:

Does anyone know of any good custom maps for the PS3 version? Preferable that they are Q3A map conversions? (Like Q3DM4, Q3DM17...) It seems that the game gets a bit of traction in the mods on the PC, but not everyone bothers to cook their mods (if that's possible due to the limitations) for the PS3 version. :(

hooijdonk17 said:
Is there still a lot of players playing this? I'm thinking of getting the PC version..

I'm sure there are still people playing, but I wouldn't expect it on UT2K4 levels.

TheSeks

godhandiscen said:
ahh.. I was hoping for news that mattered. :(

Well, if UT3 PS3 gets custom models (for guns) and stuff this is HUGE. Being able to replace sound files for your custom guns means UT3 PS3 would be on par with the PC verison (and spit in the face of console developers that are on PS3 and can't do this same thing).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheSeks said:
Well, if UT3 PS3 gets custom models (for guns) and stuff this is HUGE. Being able to replace sound files for your custom guns means UT3 PS3 would be on par with the PC verison (and spit in the face of console developers that are on PS3 and can't do this same thing).

it's not that they can't do this on PS3 , but most developers want to sell new guns , levels , skins and other crap as DLCs for some good green $$$$.

TheSeks

Totobeni said:
it's not that they can't do this on PS3 , but most developers want to sell new guns , levels , skins and other crap as DLCs for some good green $$$$.

I really want CoD6/MW2 to support keyboard and mouse + mods. The PC version can do it, why can't the PS3? All I want is new map support like UT3 does out of the box. Is it that hard?

Keyboard and Mouse wouldn't be hard to implement into PS3 games. MS has a stupid issue with it on the 360 for XBL (instead of having it be a "yes/no" hosting option like PS3 UT3 does). Overall I'm more disappointed that for the PS3 developers haven't adopted UT3's model of letting players have new models/levels/keyboard and mouse if there are developer tools out there for it than anything.

Anyway: Pay-for DLC is the thing killing decent DLC now a days. :|

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TheSeks said:
I really want CoD6/MW2 to support keyboard and mouse + mods. The PC version can do it, why can't the PS3? All I want is new map support like UT3 does out of the box. Is it that hard?

Keyboard and Mouse wouldn't be hard to implement into PS3 games. MS has a stupid issue with it on the 360 for XBL (instead of having it be a "yes/no" hosting option like PS3 UT3 does). Overall I'm more disappointed that for the PS3 developers haven't adopted UT3's model of letting players have new models/levels/keyboard and mouse if there are developer tools out there for it than anything.

Anyway: Pay-for DLC is the thing killing decent DLC now a days. :|

Sony made PS3 to support keyboard and mouse , iirc SOE's the Agency-PS3 version have keyboard and mouse support, but that it.

yeah , we know that DLC is the reason for the lack of mods , but I dunno about the lack of K+M support , but maybe devs don't want to split the user base on two control scheme for fair play online matches ? I don't know.

TheSeks

Totobeni said:
Sony made PS3 to support keyboard and mouse , iirc SOE's the Agency-PS3 version have keyboard and mouse support, but that it.

yeah , we know that DLC is the reason for the lack of mods , but I dunno about the lack of K+M support , but maybe devs don't want to split the user base on two control scheme for fair play online matches ? I don't know.

Yeah, K&M support on the PS3 as a whole has been dismal despite it being a bullet point. Much to my dismay. I think Killzone 2 would've benefitted greatly from it (esp. before the patch)

Well, like I said: UT3 supports K&M and does it by having players host servers with the option on or off. If the option is on you can still play with the controller, but expect to be owned hard by the K&M players.

There is also a filter in the PS3 version that lets you filter servers that have that option on to not be shown (IIRC). So it's not that hard to implement a filter and control option for games on the PS3 to support mouse.

Hell, if RTS like C&C3: Red Alert could do it (which it doesn't), the PS3 versions of some games would be a huge boon to the 360 version.

Not to go completely off topic (but hell, discussion for UT3 is pretty much dead, why not make discussion relevant about what UT3 brings to consoles?): But if more games adopted a UT3 model, I could see K&M support on the 360/et. all becoming a standard control option for those that want to play FPS on console without a controller (and it would stop the PC elitists from "WHOMG KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ARE SUPERIOR!" "How superior?" "SO SUPERIOR!"), but mostly it would drag MS kicking and screaming into supporting it on their console if the PS3 had multiplatform/exclusives that supported it (and was reasonable to support: RTS, FPS, ... Stuff like Uncharted 2 may possibly work with a K&M combo, but I can't see it at this time).

Top Bottom