• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Ridge Racer DS Thread

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
1. I don't like this trend of converting N64 games to DS.
2. I don't like this trend of making games use stupid stylus controls.
3. I don't like it when 1 and 2 are combined. :p

So DS gets a conversion of an N64 game and PSP gets a new Ridge Racer?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Dark Dragon said:
Can't be done. Only one 3D screen at a time.

That's not true. Spider-Man 2 has already shown 3D on both screens, and so did the old Pac n Roll demo. You're probably limiting what you can do on each screen that way, and I'm not sure if an in car view would be possible along with a behind car one, but you can get 3D on both screens.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The guy writing the impressions seems to think it looks good, so I guess in motion it's different (so maybe, just maybe, they should release some videos!), but it still amazes me that this is running at 30fps, and that Asphalt one is 60 and better looking!

I know UbiSoft are strong graphically, but for god's sake NST, you're an intenral Nintendo team, you must have got your hands on development kits before third parties.

Joe

how about using the stylus to change gears. adds to feeling that you're the one actually racing and the possibility of missing gears and putting the car in the wrong gear.

atleast they're not gonna force you to play with the touch screen controls.

also, i've seen nothing that indicates that PSP Ridge Racer is a new game.

Johnny Nighttrain said:

new-ridge-racer-20040623105107842.jpg

DaMan121

Hmm, I guess its a preference thing, but I always hated the pixel look of PSone games. I miss the n64 texture filter :( Games on the DS have nowhere to hide their ugliness :p

Gek54

Johnny Nighttrain said:

Original crap !> Remade quality

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
this wrong on so many levels

oh, and another thing. i really hope that namco comes up with some new car designs for this "new" Ridge Racer. im a gigantic fan of their car designs, and they left off with some great shit in RRV. just a bit disapointed that they're using cars from R4 for a "new" game.

oh well, im sure we'll see what's up in due time.

nitewulf

SolidSnakex said:
laugh.gif

that was genuinely funny.
now, this is why i'm not too hot on innovation. stylus control for a racing game, or say using your thumb/finger to control and left hand to accelerate brake...does not sound very fun or controllable or intuitive.
say, you cant really control a 2d shooter precisely by using touch, so whats the point of making one?
so basically, developers have to come up with whole new types of games that use the touch controllability in an effective and fun way. and how many developes will go out of their way to create complex and totally new type of games? i dont just mean simplistic puzzles/rythm based games. i mean really involving action games.
so ultimately most will just create similar games that they are already making for the GBA, just with additional graphical enhancements. and these games will look inferior to their PSP counterparts. so where is all these going exactly?

Dragmire

I don't like that developers are taking current games and twisting them into touch screen compatibility. What about new kinds of games? I'd like to see an adventure game where you play as someone that does spells. I'm reminded of Full Metal Alchemist where they draw on the ground to do transmutations. It also makes me think of Lord Pent from Fire Emblem, who sort of motions symbols with his hands.

Perhaps the way you draw the spell could determine the attack or action. For example, if you draw a circle around an attack spell, say a triangle, it would attack in all directions. There would be a initiate button so the game knows you're done drawing, and an erase button to start over a drawing. You could figure out ways on your own to change the spell, like making a line go out from the top of the triangle would make the spell go far in that direction. You'd have to be fast to hit the enemy before it moves, or attack where it's going to move. Maybe a spell would lock on to an enemy, perhaps drawing an X, and then you could do a homing attack.

You could also do spells for actions like healing, disappearing, flying, whatever. Maybe a wavey line ~~ would be a water attack and a zigzag /\/\ would be fire. Maybe a square would be a shield spell.

ourumov

OMG...The worse that could happen has happened.

It will probably play like shit but I hope they at least remake the collision system. RR64 had the worse collision system I have ever seen on a videogame.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dragmire said:
I don't like that developers are taking current games and twisting them into touch screen compatibility. What about new kinds of games? I'd like to see an adventure game where you play as someone that does spells.
Try Drakan 2 on the PS2 or Black&White on the PC...off the top of my head.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SolidSnakex said:

I don't get the joke here. Can someone explain? It's just a pic that says New Ridge Racer....so?

Grubdog

Banned
I think the steering wheel idea for this game is awesome, and the game looks great. If I feel like a racing game for my DS i'll probably pick this up.

No one has mentioned framerate yet!

The reason why so many 32/64bit games aged badly is because they would run at such terrible framerates. If they chose to sacrifice detailed graphics for 60fps, shouldn't we be applauding them?

Mind you, with NST there's no guarantee that the framerate doesn't still suck...

ourumov

I doubt it will run @ 60 fps...Anyways if it ran @ 60 fps the origingal RR64 feeling of garbage would be loose. Please NST keep 10 FPS with drops to be loyal to the original game :) OH and add that cool blur effect on lights that made things even choppier.

ourumov

I can't believe they are porting this shit instead the original Ridge Racer which ROCKED. Ridge Racer, Rave Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution or even Rage Racer would be better choices and probably easier to port to DS.
If there is one fucking racing game I hate that's RR64.

Jonnyram

GG-Duo said:
They should use the Tilt Control (a la the new Made in Wario) technology to do the steering wheel.
I don't think the new DS cards are big enough to fit fancy technology like that inside them, BUT since the DS can have a GBA cart and DS card loaded at the same time, they might support it that way. I guess that's what Konami will do with Boktai.

Another thought - can developers make DS only games on GBA carts, if they felt like it for whatever reason?

jarrod

Banned
Just for everyone who's wondering, Ridge Racer DS runs at 30 fps. Meanwhile Asphalt Urban GT, with it's superior modeling and textures, runs at a constant 60 fps. Thanks NST. :/

snapty00

Banned
Why *is* NST still around? Have they really made Nintendo any significant amount of money? It seems like if they were willing to get rid of someone like Rare for not significantly contributing to their bottomline, NST would've been gone years ago.

Grubdog

Banned
snapty00 said:
Why *is* NST still around? Have they really made Nintendo any significant amount of money? It seems like if they were willing to get rid of someone like Rare for not significantly contributing to their bottomline, NST would've been gone years ago.
I'm a huge fan of NSTs games, Wave Race Blue Storm and 1080 Avalanche are some of the best games this gen, I hope they stay around forever.

Gamespot says this game looks good, i mean i dont understand why Nintendo cant come up with some capture system that looks like what the games really look like on the small screen.........

"We tried our hand at the single and multiplayer modes, albeit with just one other person, and came away with mixed emotions. On the one hand the game looks comparable to the Nintendo 64 game's visual quality with decent texture resolution, color, and a high frame rate. Some of the special effects for tail light blur were a little more understated than in the N64 version but given the game's unfinished state it's not worth passing judgment on at this point. One trouble spot that is worth keeping and eye on is the game's handling. In order to provide a showcase for the DS touch screen, Namco has implemented an option wherein you'll be able to steer your car by turning a wheel that appears in the touch screen during races. While a neat idea in theory, the concept hurts in practice at the moment. Steering is troublesome, especially around sharp corners, and the control scheme just doesn't feel terribly responsive or intuitive at the moment. Hopefully the game will undergo some refinement before it releases. While the core game and multiplayer modes are solid, the control could be a hefty issue for players.

As it stands, Ridge Racer DS is a promising entry in the DS launch line up. A good arcade style racer is always a welcome diversion, but the control set up needs to be tightened up before it hits the road. On the positive side, the game has good visuals and a solid array of racing options. The multiplayer mode handles fine and runs smoothly. If Namco can find the sweet spot for its control, the game will be a racer worthy of your time when it ships at launch."

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/ridgeracerds/preview_6110033.html

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
john tv said:
controlling the car with a stylus sounds about as exciting as playing Street Fighter III with a cell phone keypad. Lord...
what?! I don't get you people...

Soul4ger

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Both IGN and Gamespot says it looks good and plays good.

Uh, IGN said it played like shit.

I can honestly say that, in the few minutes that I played the game, I didn't like it one bit...at least the way it was implemented. The device more looked at how much of the screen the stylus was being dragged across to rotate the steering wheel, instead of looking at the position of the stylus on the screen itself. I found myself slamming into corners simply because you needed to make sure you moved the stylus across as much screen as possible to take sharp turns. It's similar to driving with a mouse on the PC...which seems to work in FPS games as proven with Metroid Prime Hunters. But for driving, this is NOT intuitive.

GLOWING PREVIEW!

jarrod

Banned
Both IGN and Gamespot can suck my dick. Namco Hometek and NST as well while we're at it...

I want Rave Racer damn it!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jarrod said:
I want Rave Racer damn it!

Hey, you got a PC....go get an emulator. After seeing RR for DS though, I don't know if the DS could even handle it. :p

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
After seeing RR for DS though, I don't know if the DS could even handle it. :p
Are you really basing a platform's abilities on a 4 month old product from a 3rd tier studio? RRDS isn't even the best looking launch arcade racer on DS, I'd hope you're not seriously pinning your impressions of hardware capability off it. :p

Besides... I'd take Rage Racer too. :)

Top Bottom