• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd. Box Office Est. Aug. 17–19, '07 - a 'Sony' poroduct tops a chart! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

1)
65z3yfn.jpg
2)
6bucz8y.jpg
3)
4km38ep.jpg
4)
678v2bq.jpg
5)
660l8c6.jpg

rotten watch box office:
6cfhv20.gif
85% Superbad
4p46hdy.gif
20% Rush Hour 3
62gkort.gif
94% The Bourne Ultimatum
5y8a1ra.gif
88% The Simpsons Movie
68kr5dv.gif
20% The Invasion
5xinc0k.gif
29% The Last Legion
4xng7io.gif
66% Death at a Funeral

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source*

Sick Of Bloated Blockbusters, Filmgoers Flock To Small Teen Comedy 'Superbad'

SUNDAY AM: Sony's Superbad did supergood at the domestic box office this weekend as the studio told me Judd Apatow's low-cost coming of age comedy opened with a surprisingly big $31.2 million from 2,948 theaters. "It trounced all expectations," a studio source explained to me. This is the only time a summer movie released after August 15th has gone over $30M. "We started the summer in a record way and are finishing it that way," a Sony exec told me. The breakdown of moviegoers seeing Superbad was 52% male and 48% female, with 60% of the debut weekend audience between the ages of 18-30. "Word of mouth carried this film nicely," an exec said. After weeks when the pic's awareness level was tracking lower than had been hoped, overwhelmingly great reviews from even prestige media like The New York Times made the difference for $12.3 mil Friday and $10.4 mil Saturday and a projected $8.4 mil Sunday. Once again, the comedy wheel from the fertile mind of mogul-in-the-making Apatow and his buddies produced another sweet but raunchy laugher that both young and older moviegoers wanted to see after months of bloated blockbusters. (And my savvy box office gurus predicted back on May 1st that this pic would be the late-summer sleeper.) Instead of hundreds of millions of dollars, Superbad cost only $20M. "So the budget-to-gross ratio on this one could be really something special when we get to the end of the run," a Sony source told me.

Summer to date's domestic box office revenues of $3.82 billion this year already have passed 2006. So the all-time record for May 1st through Labor Day is certain to go down since 2004 was the precedent setter with $3.95 billion. This was the 6th "up" weekend in a row in overall summer box office. But you wouldn't have known it from 5th place newcomer The Invasion from Warner Bros, which tanked even worse than anyone thought. Four directors later, this bomb opened to only $2 million Friday and $2.2 million Saturday from 2,776 runs for only a $5.7 million weekend. (Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig woke up with fleas from this dog.) And another debut, The Weinstein Co's The Last Legion, finished out of the Top 10 (in 12th)altogether with only $2.6 mil this weekend from 2,002 venues despite those ads making the movie look like a clone of the hit pic 300. (Talk about problems: the horribly reviewed Legion was supposed to be released back in October 2006, then moved down, and moved down again, to April. Finally, an agreement was reached whereby TWC had to distribute The Last Legion in at least 1,500 theaters by August 24th. The P&A money was kept to only a bare minimum, and the word "dumped" has even been used.)

The rest of the Top 10 movies finished in predictable order. No. 2 went to New Line's holdover Rush Hour 3 which took in $6.3 mil Friday and $8.7 mil Saturday from 3,778 dates -- down 56% -- for a new cume of $88.1 mil. Holding up starting three weeks in release, Universal's The Bourne Ultimatum earned $5.7 mil Friday and $8.1 mil Saturday in 3,701 dates for a big new cume of $163.8 mil. Meanwhile, the Matt Damon threequel rolled into the UK this weekend as No. 1 with twice as big an opening day as the franchise's previous two.

Still hanging in at #4 on its fourth Friday, 20th Century Fox's The Simpsons Movie took in $6.6 mil from 3,162 plays for a new cume of $165 mil. Paramount's Stardust continued not to shine, placing 6th with just $5.2 mil from 2,565 theaters for a dismal new cume of $19 mil. (Ouch!) No. 7 went to New Line's Hairspray which took in $4.4 mil from 2,389 venues for a new cume of $100.7 mil. Disney's Underdog at #8 continues to underwhelm with a new cume of just $31.7 mil after a $3.6 mil from 2,551 theaters. No. 9 was Warner's Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix with a giant new cume of $278.8 mil following this weekend's $3.7 mil from 1,955 runs. And, rounding out the Top 10, Universal's I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry finished the weekend with $3.5 mil from 2,258 venues for a new cume of $110.3 mil.

*click pic for source/full list*

gosh, Nicole Kidman's really losing her box office draw powah. OUCH @ that opening.

I'm pretty surprised at how low Simpson's appeal got. A few years back it would have almost been like the Itchy and Sracthy movie now....

shuri

Banned
Prime crotch said:
I'm pretty surprised at how low Simpson's appeal got. A few years back it would have almost been like the Itchy and Sracthy movie now....
it fucking sucked, that's the problem

John Dunbar said:
Can't believe people still go see Bourne movies.

Do I even need to fucking mention it? Jesus God.

Edit - I just breathed a sigh of relief upon reading the suggestion that it's just schtick.

NomarTyme

Prime crotch said:
Yeah of course Simpson movie would've have great decade ago but it did make 400 million WW and thats pretty damn impressive.

John Dunbar said:
Can't believe people still go see Bourne movies.

Your posts continue to be unfunny.

But they do get you want you seem to need in your little life:

Attention.

"Hay Guyz, look at me. I post things that are guaranteed to get quoted."

Sapiens

I wonder how it must feel to be Andy Samberg, knowing that you are merely a flash in the pan and you've ruined any chance of staring in a movie ever again.

He joins the legions of SNL stars who couldn't cut it outside of a shitty TV show that people only watch out of habit.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Seriously, Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen are fucking shitting money at this point.

'Stanky rich', I believe the hip kids say?

B.K.

I still can't believe Transformers did as well as it did. I thought Harry Potter would slaughter it. I never thought about it making more than Harry Potter.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117970514.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

International moviegoers gave Homer Simpson the edge over Jason Bourne as "The Simpsons Movie" topped a healthy foreign box office for the fourth straight weekend with $23.4 million at 7,000 playdates in 61 markets.

Fox's toon -- propelled by solid launches of $5 million in Russia and $3 million in Brazil plus respectable Euro holdover biz -- has continued to show impressive traction overseas. International cume is $270 million, or 62% of the $435 million worldwide total.

Should Sunday's estimates hold, "The Simpsons Movie" will become the only 2007 summer tentpole to take first place on four straight weekends, besting the three-peats achieved by "Shrek the Third," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and "Spider-Man 3." The toon will have also posted the longest winning streak at the foreign box office since Fox's "Night at the Museum" won five frames in a row early in the year.

"The Simpsons Movie" dominated in Brazil with a 55% share in the best toon launch of the year, and it set an opening-day record in Holland for an animated film. Pic remained powerful in the U.K., where its fourth frame declined only 30% to $3.1 million to push Brit biz to $68.6 million, and in France, off a mere 20% to $2.1 million.

"The Bourne Ultimatum" showed plenty of pop in its first major offshore launches with $22 million at 1,470 -- a muscular $14,966 per location average. The three-quel opened with a boffo $13 million in the U.K. for a beefy 39% share, doubling the debut of "The Bourne Supremacy." And a strong Spanish launch of $5 million in its first six days puts it on track to eclipse final cumes of the previous "Bourne" pics in a few days.

"Ultimatum" also opened in first in Denmark, Finland and Singapore, well above its two predecessors. With three dozen markets left, including Russia and Brazil next weekend, "Ultimatum" appears likely to finish well ahead of the $112 million final foreign cume for "Supremacy."

A trio of holdovers -- "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," "Ratatouille" and "Transformers"-- also kept overall biz humming far above last year's record-setting pace as the top five films combined for $90 million. That's a solid performance for a late-summer frame, dwarfing the same weekend in 2006, when the top five ("Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "Miami Vice," "Garfield 2," "Superman Returns" and "Monster House") took in $60 million.

Warner's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"
conjured up $16.2 million at 6,800, down a decent 37% and led by China's soph sesh of $4 million. With a $594 million foreign cume, it's about to become the eighth pic to gross more than $600 million overseas, joining "Titanic," "The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King," the last two "Pirates of the Caribbean" and the first, second and fourth "Potter" pics.

Disney's "Ratatouille" cooked up $15.4 million at 3,483 in 30 markets, led by a tasty $7.1 million in France in a third frame in which it declined just 19%. The Paris-set toon dominated French biz as it outgrossed the next three pics and moved its territorial total to $34.7 million.

"Ratatouille" declined only 27% in holdover markets, and its $1 million Portuguese launch was the second best after that of "Shrek the Third." The comedy's performing in line with previous Pixar pics, already cuming nearly $150 million with half the major markets still to launch.

Par's "Transformers" added another $11.8 million at 4,750, led by its third Japanese frame of $2.5 million. Michael Bay's actioner, which has far exceeded studio forecasts overseas, has cumed $354 million outside the U.S.

With the largest summer tentpoles playing out, the frame saw a wider variety of new entries, such as "Rush Hour 3," which sped to the top slot in Germany with $4.3 million. The comedy finished third in its U.K. soph sesh with a 40% decline to $3 million.

Frame saw continued moderate foreign performance from a pair of domestic disappointments: Sony's "Surf's Up" made a midsized splash with $6.8 million at 2,170, led by a fourth-place Spanish opening of $2.5 million; Universal's "Evan Almighty" remained less than omnipotent with $5.9 million at 3,600, led by a ninth-place $1.1 million in its third Brit frame, a mild French launch of $1 million and an eighth-place $590,000 in its German soph sesh.

"Surf's Up" has cumed $24.6 million in 44 markets. "Evan" has totaled $33 million in 30 markets with 22 more to open; by contrast, "Bruce Almighty" scored a solid $241 million outside the U.S.

Fox's summer action pics -- "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" and "Live Free or Die Hard" -- combined for another $10 million. "Surfer" added $5.5 million at 1,900 to boost its foreign take to $133 million, and "Die Hard 4.0," as it's known overseas, captured $4.5 million at 2,200 to push the international total to $213 million.

Paramount's "Stardust" continued to show respectable traction overseas with $4.6 million at 667, including $2.35 million in its South Korean launch and $1.7 million in its second Russian frame.

Warner's "Ocean's Thirteen" added $3.4 million, mostly from the second Japanese frame, to hit $179 million overseas; U's "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" took in $2.3 million at 375, mostly from a No. 1 launch in Australia with $1.9 million; and Par's "Shrek the Third" added $1.4 million at 1,961 for a foreign cume of $415 million, $64 million short of "Shrek 2."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom